Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

It'd be kind of funny if Sonic Boom ended up being popular over there because the fact that they went all out "made for western audiences" with this gave it an exotic appeal.

I mean up until they started writing the game's in English first and Japanese second, the games generally did all kind of feel a bit "yeah this is very western but you can still tell it's not western made", if you know what I mean.  Maybe that "safe" amount of americanness is what the majority find a little boring over there.

Or maybe they're just trying it out in hopes of money, who knows.

Okay I know people are worried about Tails being too independent and sassy, but he's literally kissing Sonic's butt.

I'm more concerned at his right angle knees.

If anything, the Japanese love the characters that fit the Japanese stereotypes more. And Chronicles bombed extremely hard in Japan, so I don't think they're that fond of the exotic.

Edit: Also that mural pretty much confirms that Sonic and co go back in time to seal Lyric.

So Sonic Boom is coming to Japan after all? I can't tell if I'm surprised by this or not. I wonder if it's because Japan are curious to a westernized Sonic and want to see how we interpret him over here with Sonic Boom? Or maybe it could be SEGA trying rake in more money? Or maybe both?

Going back to the time travel discussion.....

From the E3 trailer....

BqIqic6CIAA6fVY.jpg

And if we zoom in.

BqIqiZ1CUAA8C2W.jpg

Looks like my (second) theory that Sonic really did imprison Lyric to begin with and the ancient civilization is worshiping them from the distant past might be true after all. I'm really getting interested in the story for this game!

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't say the story is interesting, myself. It's basically a cross between Sonic '06 and Sonic 3&K/Sonic Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't say the story is interesting, myself. It's basically a cross between Sonic '06 and Sonic 3&K/Sonic Adventure.

It's more interesting than the stories in recent Sonic games. Oh and time travel is so cool.

When I look at that picture:

BqIqiZ1CUAA8C2W.jpg

I like to think of it as both depicting an ancient past when Sonic and Tails imprisoned Lyric, and a prophecy of the future (present) when Sonic and Tails return to banish Lyric once again to the depths of hell......with a little help from Knuckles, Amy and Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's more interesting than anything we've had in a long time, and we don't know all the ins and outs of it yet, like how Eggman and Sticks fall into the story or even what the main characters do. Heck, there's Lyric himself who we don't know an awful lot about either. And then you can add to that the character portrayal is going to be delightful based on what we've actually seen. So even if the story doesn't turn out to be much more in-depth than everything we've pieced together already, it should be an enjoyable experience either way.

• Thumbs Up 6

An uninteresting basis for a story can be made far more interesting by the writing. And I'm pretty confident in what we've seen that the writing is fantastic.

While it's not entirely fair to criticize a story we barely know anything about, and are only really speculating on, I really don't see anything particularly interesting about reusing an '06 plot device.

While it's not entirely fair to criticize a story we barely know anything about, and are only really speculating on, I really don't see anything particularly interesting about reusing an '06 plot device.

You act like 06 is the only game that's used the "Stable Time Loop" plot device.

It's not even the only Sonic game to have time travel. People seem to think that there's no way it can be handled properly.

It's not just that it's in '06. That I've already seen a Sonic game with this idea doesn't help, though.

I mean if we've guessed the twist long before the game is even out, how much good can come of it? What's the interesting part?

It's not just that it's in '06. That I've already seen a Sonic game with this idea doesn't help, though.

I mean if we've guessed the twist long before the game is even out, how much good can come of it? What's the interesting part?

Seeing how it plays out. The interesting points of a plot aren't what happens, but how it happens. At least to me anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

Then why is this any more interesting than any other potential story?

Yeah 06 was executed pretty poorly it terms of how it happened. So far, Boom looks like it's gonna execute the how it happens way better. Also it makes me a tad bitter when I hear- "an 06 plot device." As if 06 was the reason this plot device failed. And seeing a plot device executed twice would be boring if this was SegaSonic or if Boom was doing the exact same story.

*Notices a new post*

Again, because the how. Plot's have been used over and over again but how it's played out makes them more interesting. Like Super Hero defeating bad guy- how is that anymore interesting than the last? Because this hero has an iron suit or this one goes into space to punch a moon into the villain or something like that. How not What.

Well for one people have certain things they look forward to than others. If you're not really expecting anything, you can't really feel what others are feelin.

• Thumbs Up 2

*Notices a new post*

Again, because the how. Plot's have been used over and over again but how it's played out makes them more interesting. Like Super Hero defeating bad guy- how is that anymore interesting than the last? Because this hero has an iron suit or this one goes into space to punch a moon into the villain or something like that. How not What.

Yes, and we don't know shit about how it plays out. So where is the "oh this is the most interesting Sonic story in years!" coming from?

Yes, and we don't know shit about how it plays out. So where is the "oh this is the most interesting Sonic story in years!" coming from?

From the basis of what happened in the trailer, assumptions if you will. Not trying to be rude when I say this- but what makes it so hard to imagine how a plot would play out and be a little excited for it. People keep acting like imagination is fake. Ofcourse on the flip side, someone might get really angry when their dreams are crushed for it not being what they wanted but that's something that's upon the dreamer for not thinking about the possibility that things might not shape exactly how they thought.

What little we know is already more interesting that anything that came out Colours, Generations and Lost World.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Not to mention, they've told us they're focusing on the story and overall narrative. Usually when someone says that you would expect them to deliver.

What little we know is already more interesting that anything that came out Colours, Generations and Lost World.

I consider SLoW's characterization and Tails' arc in it to be worlds more interesting than a warmed-over time travel twist.

Not to mention, they've told us they're focusing on the story and overall narrative. Usually when someone says that you would expect them to deliver.

When someone says something about a Sonic game I trust them as far as I can throw them. And no, this being BRB rather than Sonic Team doesn't change that. Not when I've yet to see anything else interesting out of them, anyway.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I consider SLoW's characterization and Tails' arc in it to be worlds more interesting than a warmed-over time travel twist.

Well, fair enough. I thought Tails was one of the weakest parts of Lost World. But either way you don't need to ask where the comments are coming from any more, because you know why people are saying such.
  • Thumbs Up 2

When someone says something about a Sonic game I trust them as far as I can throw them. And no, this being BRB rather than Sonic Team doesn't change that. Not when I've yet to see anything else interesting out of them, anyway.

Well that's your problem, isn't it?