Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Maybe it's because of Andre's less than stellar words about the demo he played. SEGA may be trying to keep things like that hush hush, because most Wii U buyers are gonna look at Gamexplain first and foremost.

The snakes in Archie look more like Sonic characters.
The Crimson Cobra from Sonic the Comic looks more like a Sonic character.
Heck, the one snake dude from Sonic Underground, a show notorious for its un-Sonic character designs, at least looked like he somewhat belonged in the Sonic universe.

I will say that Lyric is the most un-Sonic like snake across all the continuities. 

No need for the exaggeration there mate, but I think you do have a point there at least.

Dare I ask, which one was that?

Eh, he was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it extra.

tumblr_n1vu63u2LQ1rnuk43o1_500.png

I really loved the first Jak and Daxter game, but I can't really associate its gameplay with Sonic y'know. I was also expecting speed to be incorporated into the Adventure sections but it doesn't look like that's the case. The speed sections definitely don't look better than Unleashed or Generations either. I guess I was expecting the Adventure stages to play like the Sonic Adventure's with some fluid combat in it. 

It's basically Sonic Unleashed all over again. Speed stages and Brawling stages. Don't entirely dislike what I'm seeing but I'm not entirely hyped by this either. I am liking the writing though and the animation of everything is beautiful.

I guess the game is like a Jack of All Trades. Does everything decently well, but nothing spectacularly well.

Am I the only one here who actually thought this looked like a cool game?  I know you can't please every fan in this world, but I think this is bold new direction might pay off.  Besides, we get one small video and all of a sudden people are moping about it?  Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves?

• Thumbs Up 7

BRB gaming need to polish the game up quite a bit. Even if a poor Sonic game, for the sake of the franchise, it at least needs to be a good game in general. Mechanics need to be solid; movement smooth, combat varied and fun, bosses unique and interesting in their own right.

This game needs to be at least above average as far as action platformers go. If not, its just another black mark, another failed experiment to add to Sonic the Hedgehog's Wall of Shame.

It wouldn't matter, really. The game would have been shit all over by the mainstream gaming press even if it did turn out to be good. It's slower and has a focus on "Sonic's shitty friends" so in the eyes of the mainstream it feels like it was doomed from the start. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not an excuse.

Sorry, if you weren't intending to use it as one, but that's what it sounded like.

No it was not an excuse. I was just wondering if it's because it has the look and feel of a kid's game more so than Sonic game, though I know SEGA's Sonic games have also been going kiddy route lately (easy level design, short and simple story etc). =/

Am I the only one here who actually thought this looked like a cool game?  I know you can't please every fan in this world, but I think this is bold new direction might pay off.  Besides, we get one small video and all of a sudden people are moping about it?  Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves?

Nope.

We're not getting ahead of ourselves. The game is going to be released this year. It looks ugly, the gameplay is insanely binary; like Unleashed, but worse in every way. Speed sections are linear and shallow as fuck, not to mention how automated they look. Combat sections look really clunky and slow. Movement looks clunky and slow.

• Thumbs Up 1

They both look like Kaa in ridiculous outfits either way :U

This was its chance. Ever since the teaser people have been telling me I can't judge it, and we waited, and we got these videos, and surprise surprise it's the same shit I thought it was.

And now you're going to tell me to keep waiting?

No. I'm done.

Well, I guess this game just isn't for you then. Personally, I think the game looks great!

*points and gapes*

THE CRIMSON COBRA!!! Cobra! Crimson!

184px-Crimsoncobra.jpg

Crimson.... cobra?

*cough*

Hmm.

Nice to know a bit more about these games, anyway... I suppose Eggman will be involved too, surely?

Beat you to it :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Boo! :P

This topic is moving fast.... *cough*

Also I missed the videos... Hogfather's link was set to "private". Was it gamplay footage or more trailer material? In the screenshots Sonic has a really odd shaped body. :/ Like his torso has been stretched.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, if the writing and story ends up being really good but gameplay is meh and repetitive we could get something similar to Solatorobo. From what I know, that game has mediocre gameplay but the story was amazing!

Then again the story has to actually be amazing. And knowing how much the critics hate Sonic (even given a pretty good game like Unleashed a 5/10) then I'm not sure what the critical reception for this game will be like. D:

As a non-WiiU owner, I can confirm that this game does not make me want to go out and buy one.

@Scar, no need to get so venomous about it.  It's just a game.  Besides I don't think one video is going to establish exactly what this will be like.  I know it's less then six months away, but we still haven't seen the full package yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sigh, so much negativity. We were told the minute this game was revealed that it would be different, and now everyone's acting shocked that this isn't a regular Sonic game and proceeding to rip it several new ones. I guess you can't please everyone, especially in the Sonic fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 1

*sigh* Well shit. This is the first time in years I've been disappointed by a console Sonic game. Rise of Lyric looks like a generic beat 'em up on the same level as the Ben 10 games. First of all, the 2.5D levels look absolutely awful. The camerawork is awkward, the characters are too fast in some parts, and the platforming looks plain. Just as we suspected, speed is exclusive to the linear speed sections, while the rest is jogging, like in the 3D levels.

Speaking of which, the 3D levels look meh, too. The cameras still really bad, shaking around on every damn move the player makes. The gameplay looks just okay, and I like that the spin dash is kinda back, though heavily gimped, even worse than the treatment it got in Shadow's game. I do wish the characters could jog a bit faster. As for the graphics, the modeling is great and the characters look much better, but the colors and shading is shit. What happened?? The trailer had such gorgeous color composition and lighting, but now everything is slightly grey and pixelated, and it looks like some textures are missing! This is on the new and improved CryEngine?? How did it go from this;

SONIC-BOOM-VIDEO-GAME-06-Knuckles_139169

To this?

Hopefully the game plays better than it looks, but I am not very optimistic right now, sad to say. At least the writing is funny...

Surprisingly, Shattered Crystal, the handheld game, looks better. Characters can run at will, combat is quick and as easy as tapping A twice, the levels, while confined to the second dimensions, are non-linear, and the graphics and animation are pretty good..... Hm.... A handheld Sonic game looks better than it's console counterpart. That's so surreal to me....

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hey new gameplay let me take a look.

Well ok, the graphics and art style kind of remind me of Sony's PS2 era games, like Jak and Daxter or Ratchet & Clank, they need a bit more of work, but I think they have time for that.

Ok, The gameplay kind of reminds me of Jak and Daxter a bit, with speed sections thrown in to say ''HEY IT'S SAWNEEK HE'S FAST'', and it differs too much from any of Sonic's gameplays from the games, almost as if it's just a random game with Sonic slapped on it.

Right, so we have a villain that looks like he's out of Jak and Daxter, with the style of the enemies looking like Jak and Daxter... I'm starting to notice a pattern here...

The plot is about an ancient civilization trying to come back and controll everything... That doens't sound like a plot for a Sonic game... It sounds more like a plot for...Jak... And Daxter...

Ok, I have an idea Big Red Button... If you wanted to make a Jak and Daxter game... Why didn't you just make a Jak and Daxter game? This IS fucking Jak and Daxter, the only similarities to Sonic games here that I can see is that it reminds me of the Werehog gameplay a bit, and there are match speed zones... Those... Are mot a good thing to pick from the entirety of the Sonic franchise, heck, the 3DS version is playing more like a Sonic game, and I already hate it because they're going back to copy pasting Sonic Rush's style!

Seriously, I was hyped for this game, but from now on I'll be skeptical about everything related to it.

At least the cartoon will be good... right? RIGHT?

@UbiSonic, I can only agree.  (however your signature GIF makes that statement look so ironic :P ).  If I see this forum unanimously acclaim a future Sonic game, then I will eat my hat.

So is there actual video footage of the 3DS version or anything story related?

@Scar, no need to get so venomous about it.  It's just a game.  Besides I don't think one video is going to establish exactly what this will be like.  I know it's less then six months away, but we still haven't seen the full package yet. 

*skip to six months ahead and the game is more or less what we saw in the previews*

*people still aren't satisfied with the game and will never cease going on about how bad it is*

I don't intend to sound venomous. I guess its just my generally direct and harsh manner of speaking/typing coming through.

However, even though this is just a game, its a game in a franchise that I am particularly invested in. I would have every right to be disappointed and almost venomous, about what I have just seen.

SEGA were on the path of recovery with the Sonic franchise, but with 2 games, they're looking like they're about to undo all of the good will that Unleashed through to Generations brought, after the disastrous period after SA1.

And its not just the fact that its different (though that is a bit of a problem, given the franchises historic identity crises), but its the fact that it not only looks different, but also looks mediocre or even outright bad at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 1

So is there actual video footage of the 3DS version or anything story related?

There was footage of the 3DS version but they've been taken off.

Sigh, so much negativity. We were told the minute this game was revealed that it would be different, and now everyone's acting shocked that this isn't a regular Sonic game and proceeding to rip it several new ones. I guess you can't please everyone, especially in the Sonic fanbase.

Try not to antagonise everyone.

• Thumbs Up 9