Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Yeah, it sure is my problem that this series' years of failure have conditioned me to expect less from it.

Which is why I've been asking if there's a concrete reason to be interested in the story or if people are just letting their imaginations run wild.

More footage of the boss battle and dialogue between Eggman and Sonic's team.
It's kinda hard to hear, but it seems Eggman is after Lyric too.
"Welcome Sonic. After I crush you, I will defeat that rotten Snake"
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, it sure is my problem that this series' years of failure have conditioned me to expect less from it.

Which is why I've been asking if there's a concrete reason to be interested in the story or if people are just letting their imaginations run wild.

If you're going to be like that, then there's no such thing as a concrete reason to be interested. But when people like what they know already and have been interested in the previous works of the developers for this game considering it's completely aside from the rest of the Sonic series, that's a pretty good reason to be interested. Seriously, Dio, it just feels like you're antagonising.
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'm not intending to antagonize. If anything I'm desperately hoping for something that'll change my opinions of the game.

I'm not intending to antagonize. If anything I'm desperately hoping for something that'll change my opinions of the game.

Well nothing's going to change your opinions if you just poo-poo everything people say. To be optimistic means to take a gamble. Just wait it out and see what comes between now and the game's release. You clearly don't have an interest in what's been shown already.
  • Thumbs Up 2

More footage of the boss battle and dialogue between Eggman and Sonic's team.

It's kinda hard to hear, but it seems Eggman is after Lyric too.

"Welcome Sonic. After I crush you, I will defeat that rotten Snake"

is it like the other way now? Eggman betrays Lyric instead of the opposite 

Well nothing's going to change your opinions if you just poo-poo everything people say.

I'm not just rejecting on impulse. The only explanations I've seen are a recycled plot twist that we've presumably predicted months in advance and the execution of the story which we've seen basically nothing of and have no particular reason to trust in, and that's just not enough for me.

I'm not just rejecting on impulse. The only explanations I've seen are a recycled plot twist that we've presumably predicted months in advance and the execution of the story which we've seen basically nothing of and have no particular reason to trust in, and that's just not enough for me.

I can trust in the Sonic Boom writers to pull off something with this story, because they seem talented enough to know how to make the execution in the story actually work, which several of recent Sonic games fail to deliver upon in the story department. However, this just speculation from little of what we've seen, so we're just shooting in the dark right now. But this is just a mere feeling of mine.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's definitely not the explanation I thought we were giving, maybe a few. But I was more or less saying it's not the plot twist that is big awe factor but the fact of how they are handling the characters and plot itself. From what we've seen, that is.

In that boss fight, it got a little intense! One thing I like is that Eggman more or less is protected when taunting, so it's not like he's doing it for no reason. I mean, I guess you can throw the robots at him. But I really overall like that he's almost actually defened when taunting. Of course there are probably ways to still hit him but I don't know that's really cool to me.

If I can just step in and offer some meat to the conversation about time travel plots, Jak's arc is based completely around time travel in both going to the future and the past. Even if time travel is a risky trope to work with as well as an overused one, and a trope that Sonic has had poor run ins with, I trust in BRB, former naughty dog to at least do what they're good at and bring us a competent time travel scenario, since they've worked with decent storylines about time travel in the past and made it work in both unexpected and exciting ways.

For one I don't think the time travel in this game is going to be as elaborate or abused as 06 made it anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, it would have to be one of the 1st Boss fights considering that its only a demo.

I originally thought this fight with Eggman was the first boss battle, but now I think he may actually be the second. He mentions Lyric before the fight starts, so it almost certainly takes place after Lyric is released. I think there's a good chance Lyric fights you immediately after you release him, making him the first boss.

Either way, I think it's very good that this boss is so intense and challenging looking despite seemingly taking place pretty early in the game. Sonic games aren't really known for having challenging boss fights (with a few exceptions per game), and a few (CD, Colors and Lost World) have downright pathetic bosses, so to have such an intense boss fight so early in the game really gives me hope that Boom's bosses will be truly great.

...Well, at least as long as they're not all beaten with the same method.

I don't entirely agree with the "how, not what" school of thought on plot twists - I think they both have a role to play - but I think it's worth noting that the fact that we've predicted the "plot twist" in advance is not entirely unintentional.  Anyone who knows the first thing about time travel will have guessed it from the very first words Lyric speaks to Sonic, a moment which is not only in the trailer but which must happen early in the game.  It's one of the oldest time-travel clichés, to the point where I don't even know if I'd consider it a twist, and as such I fully expect there to be a fair bit more going on in the plot.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm not the type of guy who throws a negative tantrum without a second thought.

But Knuckles saying Cowabunga...

You've got to be kidding me angry.png

Haha, I like the animation at 4:48 in the video when Eggman pulls his mustache downwards in frustration.

sjD70X.gif

Edit: FearTear, thanks for that gif <3

Overall the dialogue seems pretty good. Mike Pollock is still awesome as the voice of Eggman.

The 'lets brings him down to our level' line is obviously the time to attack Eggman.

5:28 "Should have installed air bags" I- I- I can't express how funny this is. I guess it's personal experiences more or less but that line literally made me pause to post how much enjoyment I found in that line- buuuut some of his dialogue... ehh.. ew.

"That- Just- Happened" ....I'll have to watch the rest before I can get any full summary of my thoughts.

EDIT: Okay My only problem is that Eggman's eggmobile failed him ; - ; That's okay though, I still wish that it wasn't as comedy focused when he went out of control and such but it wasn't out right offense in the least.

Sonic's earlier line's were straight up turd like- but he turns around quickly afterwards saying "We did it!" Which feels like he wont be too dickish. Those lines though such as: "I'm just I thought I did a little bit more" (or whatever it was) was kind of. hmm. Well, one thing is that, the story is part Sonic learning how to be a teamate so it makes sense. 

The gameplay didn't change my thoughts, I'm still looking forward to it. But I did realize this is one of those games that how the player plays can alter their enjoyment. I mean that's always how it is, but I like pulling off more efficient yet flashy combos in games that have "action-combat" (how I describe games like this combat systems.) In Action-Combat games, they give you a mid range arsenal of moves to pull off and depending on the game you get more while you progress. I'm the kind that'd keep spindashing do a few kicks and homing attack to finish up a combo. But for the button masher or someone who doesn't know how to execute different moves on the fly they might get stuck using a combo that is samey yet gets the job done. Which would lead to a more boring experience (and this can only be held to the demo at E3 because we don't know enemy patterns or unlockables featured in the full game.) 

And the cutscenes are really nice to look at- even without having the graphical fidelity of say Lost World or Unleashed (PS3/360). It still looks really nice and beautifully animated! Besides the one before The Pit. Sonic was pretty bad when it came to his face in that scene. 

I'm still down for this game nothing much has changed besides the Eggman lines. Delivery superb- yotta yotta but the lines... eh. They're hit and miss for me right now.

Edited by Light the Hedgehog

Sonic sounds like a real jerk in some of the dialogue.Some funny stuff though.

Knuckles - "SNAAAKES! Ahem! I mean, Snakes." 

• Thumbs Up 1

It sounds like Eggman's a newbie in this game, he keeps going on about how cool this boss mech is.

"Still, I look cool in this thing, right??"

Welp.

I have to say, I'm really growing to like the writing. Gameplay in general is growing on me a lot the more I see of it. It's just the negative impressions from people who have played it that still leave me a bit skeptical.

The only thing is that I'm just...not sure if I'll be able to get into Roger's voice. I loved him in Colors, but since then, his performances have just...started to get on my nerves. He's not really doing a bad job or anything, but something about his tone just bugs me. I'm enjoying this performance a lot more than Lost World (he really has some fantastic moments, don't get me wrong), but...I don't know. Maybe it'll grow on me again, maybe it won't. If it doesn't, I just hope that doesn't keep me from enjoying Sonic as a character.

Don't think I've seen enough of Tails or Amy to judge, but the characterization for Sonic and Knuckles seems great. Knuckles is a bit of an airhead without being a complete dumbass and he has a good dynamic with the other characters, and Sonic's a bit of a self-absorbed jerk, but his dialogue is funny and they're giving him room to develop. I do sort of worry that Amy might not have much of a personality, but we'll see what happens when the game comes out. Eggman is definitely more immature, but...I dunno, I laughed at a lot of those lines, I've gotta say. I'd say it'll probably end up being a different take on the character rather than a worse one, and Mike Pollock of course does an awesome job as always. Plus, those animations.

So yeah, liking what I see for the most part here. I just hope it ends up polished enough by the time it's released.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do like how the characters are having an actual conversation rather than just speaking to point out the obvious. The dialogue can be a buy cheesy at times but its a fun kind of cheesy so yeah color me interested

• Thumbs Up 6

Positives and negatives.

+ Tails and Amy's voice are a lot better than in the Sega games.
+ The range on everyone (except Knuckles) is a lot better than the Sega games. Hearing RCS's Sonic do more than the "dudebro" voice is a bit refreshing.
+ A select few of the interactions were pretty good. Mostly in the cutscenes though, and not in-game.

? Game looks extremely meh to play. Not horrible, but definitely not good.
- The lack of sound effects and the loud echo on the characters' voices is.. really, really weird. Dunno if that's just the demo, but it's almost headache inducing. Okay it's the Gamepad's sound, but geez it's still weird.
- A lot of unpolish. This game seriously feels disjointed at the hinges, and that's just by watching it.
- Holy crap no one ever shuts up in this game. And man some of those jokes are so forced it hurts.

- Eggman's characterization seems.. really weird.

Man what is up with this game.

• Thumbs Up 4