Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I'd thought Sonic coming off bit of a dick is what some people don't like about him or want him to become in Sega Sonic.

He had only just barely gotten border-line "dickish" in Lost World...other than that, there's no reason people would believe SEGA Sonic to be too "dickish"...He's gotten an increase in Attitude in the recent games, but he can't really be called an outright dick.

He's the cool kid- he doesn't care what anyone else thinks! He's the coolest, and he knows it.

I'm...actually not kidding, that's pretty much Sonic.

I like it though.

I'd thought Sonic coming off bit of a dick is what some people don't like about him or want him to become in Sega Sonic.

I understand how some people might not like that, but to me it speaks a lot about his intentions. He might be mean, an asshole and impatient, but at the end of the day, he cares enough about his friends and strangers to dedicate his life to help them.

As long as they don't make him a dick without any redeeming qualities I don't really mind this side of his personality.

• Thumbs Up 2

Though after watching the whole thing... they really need to tone the voices down, yeah they're in character and some are funny, but they really are overdoing it.

Oh yes, I agree. Some of it is kinda funny ("AHHH SNAKES! Uh.. I mean grr... snakes!") but some of it is just cringeworthy ("cowabunga?" Really?! biggrin.png) and the frequency of the chatter is just far too high.

The character models look much nicer than in the teaser trailer; and I really like how Knuckle's dreads/hentai tentacle shit for hair flop about as he jogs.

The sound is a bit weird; I can hear ring noises but the rest of the sound effects appear to be missing?

The music is kinda... dull... I suppose there might be more catchier music in other areas?

Also re; Sonic being a dick? I'm kinda used it from STC Sonic! :D (In fact many of the "differences" from Sonic Team Sonic remind me of the STC world, which I guess is why I'm not so shocked by them.) But this is a different kind of dickish; he thinks he is awesome and shows it using terrible language like "BOOOM! *punches the air*" He's basically your average Internet dweller! :D So basically the modern equivalent of 90s "cool", which is fine by me, although I am still not much of a fan of Roger Craig Smith's Sonic.

It'd help more if Sonic was funny. His reply to Knuckles calling his ego "unbelievable" and saying, "Yeah, I am." Is actually funny. So, his dickish personality is less annoying.

Plus, people are reacting to him having a giant ego, rather than him being allowed to tout his own horn. He's not exactly getting away with having a huge ego, people are calling him on it.

So, it's more enjoyable here. He's kinda funny with it and people are calling him out. There's actual chemistry.

• Thumbs Up 5

On sonic being a dick.... he's been kindof an asshole for awhile. While not as big as Boom is making him but Sonic has always been known to be quick to anger and full of himself. What teen ISN'T at 16 really? 

I understand how some people might not like that, but to me it speaks a lot about his intentions. He might be mean, an asshole and impatient, but at the end of the day, he cares enough about his friends and strangers to dedicate his life to help them.

As long as they don't make him a dick without any redeeming qualities I don't really mind this side of his personality.

I agree with this. As long as they don't turn him into StC Sonic, I'll be fine. Also, isn't this supposed to be the first time Sonic's been part of a team in this canon? If so, then it strikes me as less "mean" and more "doesn't work well with others".

STC Sonic is more or less the same, though.... only less funny-funny and more awkward-funny.

Sure he says stupid stuff, but he still cares about his friends and they have on occasion called him out on said bullshit. Hence he hates being teased by someone like Amy. :D

Anyways... before we go off at that tangent, just wanna clear that up. :B

So, actually watched that whole 15 minute thingy.

I actually smiled a bit at some of the conversations going on. And liked that part where Knuckles teases Sonic a bit about the whole, "we" thing, to which Sonic rejects. So, it's pretty obvious that Sonic isn't straight of a dick and just more bit of an egotist. Guess he's like Shadow minus the edge and angst.

The Eggman boss fight... I liked his childish personality, but they kinda went overboard. I'm having a hard time imagining his much slang being in his vocabulary, but I don't know this Eggman that well.

I did like him going, "Nice scarf losers!" if only for him not just going, "curses!" and leaves. He's leaving a weak little insult. It's just kinda funny.

Maybe it's also because SEGA Eggman just usually accepts the insults. I dunno. Nice to see him doing something.

It's kinda easy to tell they're all hero and villain virgins here. lol

I really do hope to see Eggman get more villainy and intelligent as time goes on, like promised, but we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm enjoying how much of a newbie both sides seem to be. Makes ya wonder if Sonic Team's Eggman was this awkward when he started out as a villain. tongue.png Also "nice scarf, loser" caught me off guard, usually his goodbyes after a boss fight are more generic "I'll be back" claims or whatever. I kinda like it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I remember reading and watching many articles/videos on the development of Sonic Xtreme and the main reason why the game went though development hell was because of Sega Japan outright refusing to let Sega of America make the damn game X(. I mean, I recall they used the Nights Engine at one point and had the game running great on the Saturn but Naka was furious about that to the point of forcing the Xtreme team to start from scratch....again sad.png.

Bullshit. This one of the oldest, most tiring, hell even a bit racist interpretations of X-Treme's development around and it's always bullshit.

SEGA of Japan had no problem with X-Treme. If anything, SEGA of Japan tried to help X-Treme. Gave them time, gave them freedom, gave them Yasuhara near the end to help with level design.

The problem was the company porting the game from PC to Saturn, which did an awful job and presented ito to SoJ. As far as SoJ knew, the X-Treme team grabbed all that and presented a game playing at 2 frames per second with some neat boss areas, so they demanded, you know, "make it work like the parts that are actually working". Then some idiot gave them Naka's engine without permission to use, and Naka obviously didn't like it.

That is not sabotage, that is not "those damn SEGA of Japanese!". That's a bunch of unlucky events (Ofer and Senn being too late to show the ACTUAL GOOD port of X-Treme to Saturn, whomever gave them the NiGHTS engine doing so without permission [and even then IIRC there's been conflicting reports- I seem to recall a theory that there wasn't even a NiGTHS engine given, just that the X-Treme boss engine looked a lot like it and Naka complained], ill health falling on Chris Coffin and Senn himself, bad will against Ofer for apparently not working hard enough [actually working hard as hell, but home], etc) that led to the cancellation of a game. Blaming SEGA of Japan for sabotage is absurd.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm enjoying how much of a newbie both sides seem to be. Makes ya wonder if Sonic Team's Eggman was this awkward when he started out as a villain. tongue.png Also "nice scarf, loser" caught me off guard, usually his goodbyes after a boss fight are more generic "I'll be back" claims or whatever. I kinda like it.

Awww. I can imagine him practicing his lines in front of a mirror:

"You know what they say? Uhh.... line?"

"TIME FOR A CHANGE OF FACE! Wait... no..."

• Thumbs Up 1

Just assuming they come from the same build is a bit of a narrow interpretation, E3 demos usually involve a lot of work to get ready, probably with many different version of the demo. Might involve debug stuff in the background or overdoing memory limitations. Wouldn't be the first time an E3 demo came in hot.

And wow, they really do never shut up.

(why does this game exist?)

In case this hasn't been put up yet, another guy has an impression of what he played at E3;

Basically, he thinks it's nothing special, although he's still more neutral on it. He thinks the speed sections are akin to Sonic Dash (and this isn't a good thing for him), and that the average player will probably get bored after 30-40 minutes. The game also reminds him of Chronicles because he's been told that Sonic always has to be on the team. This is not something that anyone else has been told though.

Edit: Oh, and he thought the game looked like it was running at 30FPS.

After watching the 15 minutes of footage, I am REALLY liking Sonic and Knuckles' chemistry. They've got this "busting each others' chops" kinda thing going on and I like how Knux is really trying to get Sonic to open up a bit rather than getting frustrated every time he fails to. I have a feeling I'm going to really like him in Boom. Looking forward to seeing how Sonic plays off of the other characters in the final game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just look at the difference.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for pointing out the improvement BRB did with the graphic.

We should really put more faith in this game, really.

Or at least, admit that BRB is putting its heart and soul in this work.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope Sonic doesn't always have to be on the team. I was looking forward to seeing characters like Tails and Amy team up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope Sonic doesn't always have to be on the team. I was looking forward to seeing characters like Tails and Amy team up.

Sadly, I don't think you'll be able to drop Sonic during story mode. I could be wrong, though, since we haven't seen all that much of the game, but it just doesn't sound very likely. I'm pretty sure you can enter a level with whoever you choose afterwards, though, so there's that.

Kinda goes against what they said making the friends the star more than Sonic this time..

We'll get to having other characters playable on their own eventually.

One step at a time....

*sigh*

• Thumbs Up 3

If you knew how long we've been waiting to take control of somebody other than Sonic in a mainstream game, you'd know why.

No, it's a sigh of annoyance. Sonic doesn't need to be the rest of the cast's fucking babysitter. Lord knows how well of a job he did in Lost World on that note anyway.

But regardless, I'm not so bothered by the fact that Sonic may have to always be on the team, because it comes with the caveat of them still being playable alongside him... along with the extra stuff I'm interested in. Seriously, I'm tickled by his smarmy attitude in the B-Roll footage.

• Thumbs Up 8