Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I was talking to Indigo Rush, please let Indigo Rush answer.

Nepenthe has just said what many more of us are thinking than only Indy himself. I really hate the fact that Sonic is present at all times. Can't we let the other characters interact and do something without him? Ugh...

I was talking to Indigo Rush, please let Indigo Rush answer.

I am allowed to explain a joke that I'm in on, even more so considering me and Indy share the same opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bullshit. This one of the oldest, most tiring, hell even a bit racist interpretations of X-Treme's development around and it's always bullshit.

SEGA of Japan had no problem with X-Treme. If anything, SEGA of Japan tried to help X-Treme. Gave them time, gave them freedom, gave them Yasuhara near the end to help with level design.

The problem was the company porting the game from PC to Saturn, which did an awful job and presented ito to SoJ. As far as SoJ knew, the X-Treme team grabbed all that and presented a game playing at 2 frames per second with some neat boss areas, so they demanded, you know, "make it work like the parts that are actually working". Then some idiot gave them Naka's engine without permission to use, and Naka obviously didn't like it.

That is not sabotage, that is not "those damn SEGA of Japanese!". That's a bunch of unlucky events (Ofer and Senn being too late to show the ACTUAL GOOD port of X-Treme to Saturn, whomever gave them the NiGHTS engine doing so without permission [and even then IIRC there's been conflicting reports- I seem to recall a theory that there wasn't even a NiGTHS engine given, just that the X-Treme boss engine looked a lot like it and Naka complained], ill health falling on Chris Coffin and Senn himself, bad will against Ofer for apparently not working hard enough [actually working hard as hell, but home], etc) that led to the cancellation of a game. Blaming SEGA of Japan for sabotage is absurd.

Oh okay, sorry if I came off rude and mean :(; thats just one of the things I remembered about that games development (it was lots of stuff surrounding it, so I guess that is why I mixed some things up :().

I am allowed to explain a joke that I'm in on, even more so considering me and Indy share the same opinion.

Sorry, I thought he meant he was just happy to finally play as someone that's not Sonic

News just in! Rise of Lyric will have optional four player co-op modes that are separate from the main story:

http://www.examiner.com/article/sonic-boom-will-feature-optional-four-player-modes-says-big-red-button

I'd be excited, but I primarily play single player (and at most usually two player) so this is not really much of a bonus in my eyes.

Sorry, I thought he meant he was just happy to finally play as someone that's not Sonic

Well, there's that, yes. I'm happy that Tails, Knuckles and Amy are getting some focus for once. That is a good thing. A very good thing.

But at the same time, it's seriously aggravating that after years of having nothing but Sonic playable (for the most part), we still can't have them go it alone or at the very least separate from Sonic. In the context of Boom, I suppose it makes sense to have Sonic in every mission since he's the titular character, but we didn't exactly need to have Sonic around when we played as Tails or Knuckles in the Genesis games.

Sonic Jump and Sonic Dash are better in that regard.

Regardless though, I'm glad we're at least progressing in that direction with Sonic Boom. 

Well, there's that, yes. I'm happy that Tails, Knuckles and Amy are getting some focus for once. That is a good thing. A very good thing.

But at the same time, it's seriously aggravating that after years of having nothing but Sonic playable (for the most part), we still can't have them go it alone or at the very least separate from Sonic. In the context of Boom, I suppose it makes sense to have Sonic in every mission since he's the titular character, but we didn't exactly need to have Sonic around when we played as Tails or Knuckles in the Genesis games.

Sonic Jump and Sonic Dash are better in that regard.

Regardless though, I'm glad we're at least progressing in that direction with Sonic Boom. 

I'm guessing the reason why sonic will mostly be on the team is so people won't complain about having  to use someone other than him for so long, so I guess BRB took some strides in making him a permanent member for the game though it would be cool if we got some missions without him and like it was said before, we'd be able to go back through missions with different characters so thats a plus.

There were complaints about the presence of other characters in Generations. It is less about using them "for too long" and more that people just don't want them to exist period. It's a guaranteed complaint. Ergo, developers have nothing to lose on this front, so they might as well be creative and loosey-goosey with how they use other cast members. That includes treating them like big boys and girls who can explore other parts of areas without Sonic's help.

From what I've seen of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get through the majority of the game (maybe all of it?) without controlling Sonic any longer than it takes to switch away from him. I expect the characters are always going to be in pairs or better, and the only parts I've seen that require a character are mirrored by paths that use the other character. I don't expect Sonic always being in the active team is going to do much to prevent you from playing as someone else.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hmm, you guys, we had a couple of other interviews saying that you could play sonic most of the time, however they also said there are a couple of levels where you can't

And with the story having the group always splitting up into pairs, there will be times where the pair without sonic has something to do, so there WILL be a couple of levels without sonic, although we do have to wait and double check for release

Don't take one interview for fact you guys, if it is something that has been repeated it is likely, but one off statements are questionable, so wait and see

That's definitely alright, and I didn't mean to sound so disappointed about it, but the fact that Sonic is always in your team kind of carries the longstanding "Sonic-only" sentiment with it somehow. Its as if we can't enjoy seeing the dynamics between Tails and Knuckles working together because people apparently can't stand to play something other than a blue hedgehog in any capacity.

Wait I thought it was confirmed ages back that you could choose who to play as?  Like, in the final game we'll be able to play what Tails and Amy are up to while Sonic and Knuckles are playing their level in the demo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait I thought it was confirmed ages back that you could choose who to play as?  Like, in the final game we'll be able to play what Tails and Amy are up to while Sonic and Knuckles are playing their level in the demo.

This is what I am thinking too, and I remember it being mentioned Multiple times in several interviews as well 

Sonic's always on your team, but in the demo, I never had to play as Sonic if I didn't want to. You can play an entire level as Knuckles in the pit area or Amy in Toxic Waste dump. You can play as any character in the boss fight or speed section.

The thing is, an important part of the story is Sonic maturing as a loner character to a team player. So having him there at all times is important to the story. 

• Thumbs Up 4

frostman007, now since you're reading this topic I was just wondering is there option to turn the voices off or atleast tone it down a notch?

I've actually said this in past interviews, but there are times when Sonic is not one of the available characters to play as.

Which is perfectly okay with me. I enjoy playing with characters other than Sonic. We need more Sonic games like this.

I've actually said this in past interviews, but there are times when Sonic is not one of the available characters to play as.

Excellent! Just as I thought!

Oh, by the way Frost, with the recent revelation that the speed levels aren't truly automated and that they're booster-propelled, I've been wondering if perhaps natural, booster-less, speed for characters is an upgradable attribute.

While Sonic & Knuckles seems like they'll have the better dynamic of the game, I hope Tails and Amy aren't overshadowed as a result.

• Thumbs Up 1

I stand corrected.

I just realized that in the E3 Trailer Sonic isn't there in the, group surrounded by enemies, shot. Hmm interesting.

Currently I only really want BRB to fix the repeat dialogue problem, I hope by the end product the in-game dialogue and banter won't be constant, repeated and I hope that BRB find a way to make the dialogue work without cutting the sound/music out every time they speak.

• Thumbs Up 2

The PR for this game is all over the place. Everyone seems to be saying different, and often outright contradicting things to interviewers, press and the general public. Sonic's presence on the team is one minor thing, but the fact that there's confusion with the marketing over what order the games and TV series come in with relation to each other is just...sheesh.