Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

More negativity? At this rate, Rise of Lyric is pretty much guaranteed to be one of those underrated gems. For my part, I'm taking this review with a grain of salt.

• Thumbs Up 3

More negativity? At this rate, Rise of Lyric is pretty much guaranteed to be one of those underrated gems. For my part, I'm taking this review with a grain of salt.

Except an underrated gem requires the game to actually be good.  The reason why they're underrated is generally because they're under the radar.  They're games that are great, and often receive quite a bit of critical praise but are overlooked by gamers due to obscurity.

You know, I still think people are reading too far into impressions. I didn't give that but 1 paragraph to try to convince me and it didn't work. Why you may say? Well it's his personal view. 

I didn't read it but I can bet that he probably said "expecting normal sonic" or "a normal sonic game" or "don't go expecting"- And that always catches my eye and immediately turns me away. Because if it were to listening to impressions and reviews as such I'd hate Sonic in general so much now. So it's probably just gonna shoo away everyone, never be played, someones gonna be like "Hey- this isn't too bad when you start playing" and a whole nother Sonic we could have had- would be gone because "you can't go into expecting a normal sonic game." 

That's seriously the main thing that comes up in every impression when, if you decided to listen, or research, or even talk some other people, they might have told ya "Hey- This is not supposed to be a normal sonic game. Like I don't give a flying fuck what Sonic is anymore,all I know is that this isn't supposed to be that. That one little sentence can turn peoples views upside down and blind them like trying to drive after having losing your glasses while having 1/1 vision. (Finally an okay analogy) 

I'm sorry if that wasn't at all relevant to the impression but everyone all of sudden "Oh man- this guy said it's bad! Better stop thinking about buying it!"

How hard is it really to think, "HEY THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE NORMAL SONIC" Why is that so hard to think. You don't even have to stop hating Boom but realize you are not supposed to expect normal Sonic while playing this.

So color me still interested and not giving two cents worth an impression. 

On Topic at hand: It seems that the Sped stages may actually be closer to Boost Sonic and Setpiece Sonic than we thought. Seeing as he could still use his combat moves and it was shown that stopping is a thing they'll probably get more complex (as stated multiple times) and allow for more Boost esque stages. So I'm looking forward to see more of those, to see how they'll pan out.

EDIT: Okay maybe s/he didn't mention those things but it's still so negative and I can tell a main thought of his or hers was probably expecting Sonic. As for the enerbeam well my punch ain't got no juice for that one. The playthroughs I've seen didn't have much trouble with it. Maybe it's him maybe it's the game who knows. 

This isn't supposed to be the normal Sonic. UGH! D: My internet tears be super teary.

• Thumbs Up 4

@ Light the Hedgehog, You know, it's not good to assume that he said those type of criticisms when you didn't read it. There was nothing of that sort about it not being a standard Sonic game in that paragraph. To me, it looked like he had valid criticisms so far.

The thing is, those criticisms were through his eyes. 

@ Light the Hedgehog, You know, it's not good to assume that he said those type of criticisms when you didn't read it. 

He said, assuming Light didn't read it.

He said, assuming Light didn't read it.

I didn't read it but 

Where's the assumption here?

Yes indeed. I edited. I read it now- please don't hit me bros and bros-ets(?) 

I'm gonna keep the OP though because I still feel that way. Stone Fists

You know, I still think people are reading too far into impressions. I didn't give that but 1 paragraph to try to convince me and it didn't work. Why you may say? Well it's his personal view. 

I didn't read it but I can bet that he probably said "expecting normal sonic" or "a normal sonic game" or "don't go expecting"- And that always catches my eye and immediately turns me away. Because if it were to listening to impressions and reviews as such I'd hate Sonic in general so much now. So it's probably just gonna shoo away everyone, never be played, someones gonna be like "Hey- this isn't too bad when you start playing" and a whole nother Sonic we could have had- would be gone because "you can't go into expecting a normal sonic game." 

That's seriously the main thing that comes up in every impression when, if you decided to listen, or research, or even talk some other people, they might have told ya "Hey- This is not supposed to be a normal sonic game. Like I don't give a flying fuck what Sonic is anymore,all I know is that this isn't supposed to be that. That one little sentence can turn peoples views upside down and blind them like trying to drive after having losing your glasses while having 1/1 vision. (Finally an okay analogy) 

I'm sorry if that wasn't at all relevant to the impression but everyone all of sudden "Oh man- this guy said it's bad! Better stop thinking about buying it!"

How hard is it really to think, "HEY THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE NORMAL SONIC" Why is that so hard to think. You don't even have to stop hating Boom but realize you are not supposed to expect normal Sonic while playing this.

So color me still interested and not giving two cents worth an impression. 

On Topic at hand: It seems that the Sped stages may actually be closer to Boost Sonic and Setpiece Sonic than we thought. Seeing as he could still use his combat moves and it was shown that stopping is a thing they'll probably get more complex (as stated multiple times) and allow for more Boost esque stages. So I'm looking forward to see more of those, to see how they'll pan out.

EDIT: Okay maybe s/he didn't mention those things but it's still so negative and I can tell a main thought of his or hers was probably expecting Sonic. As for the enerbeam well my punch ain't got no juice for that one. The playthroughs I've seen didn't have much trouble with it. Maybe it's him maybe it's the game who knows. 

This isn't supposed to be the normal Sonic. UGH! D: My internet tears be super teary.

he really wasn't saying to much that he was expecting normal sonic. He said the controls were unresponsive and slow.

he really wasn't saying to much that he was expecting normal sonic. He said the controls were unresponsive and slow.

Indeed I have now Read it and edited my post, but note, my fists will still metal crack his impressions:

I really hope the game isn't going to be as bad as people are saying, but I haven't seen a positive review for it yet from those who played it.

I've only read a couple of positive previews (thanks to Stephen Frost that only tweets people who've said good things about the game). 

Game Revolution preview:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric

Nerd Reactor preview:

http://nerdreactor.com/2014/06/13/e3-2014-sonic-boom-hands-on/

Geez, tough crowd. Anyone who preordered might wanna consider renting.

I've already preorder both versions. I'm still willing to give the game a chance like I do with any other Sonic game. If the gameplay kinda sucks then I'm hoping that the story and the characters will be highlight cause without that then I wouldn't care anymore.

Anyway, the negative preview is telling us stuff we already know from the E3 built and hope that Big Red Button will fix. I'm really hoping they're listening to the feedback or better yet delay the game if they have to. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Indeed I have now Read it and edited my post, but note, my fists will still metal crack his impressions:

I will be on your side for one thing though. It could really boil down to user error and his/her ego not wanting to accept that, blames the register of the hit buttons.

And to think I was starting to think Boom might be successful again. Stupid me.

Bit quick to be off-set by one impression like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not really taking this entire thing seriously alot of the problems with enerbeam and clunky jumps I really can see being fixed before released.

While they may suck at making a sonic game I still believe BRB is competent not to release an unpolished mess. I admit the game is probably gonna be slow unimpresive/uninteresting with th only redeeming quality being parts of the story. But I wont believe its gonna be anywhere near the levels of sonic 06 or even shadow.

I just hope sega doesnt think just because they started sonic boom in this fashion doesnt mean they have to keep it that way because if they do we will have a bunch of time put into what could have been used to make sonic games. 

I just hope sega doesnt think just because they started sonic boom in this fashion doesnt mean they have to keep it that way because if they do we will have a bunch of time put into what could have been used to make sonic games. 

I don't think you have to worry about that.

If there's one thing SEGA is consistent at it's inconsistency.

• Thumbs Up 3

I will admit, it did seem a bit of a ridiculous stretch when some people actually believed that the pre-E3 B-roll footage was to be a representative of the graphics and scenery for the final product.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not really taking this entire thing seriously alot of the problems with enerbeam and clunky jumps I really can see being fixed before released.

While they may suck at making a sonic game I still believe BRB is competent not to release an unpolished mess. I admit the game is probably gonna be slow unimpresive/uninteresting with th only redeeming quality being parts of the story. But I wont believe its gonna be anywhere near the levels of sonic 06 or even shadow.

Hey, I for one, wanna see more Boom games. "used to make Sonic games" Hah, I laugh at this. What is a dang Sonic game. 

"Suck at making Sonic games" Well of course because this is supposed to be a Sonic game. This whole project was made just to make a standard ole, no focus Sonic game- oh wait. 

This is not- supposed to be- a Sonic game. Are people mad because this effort wasn't put into main Sonic? Infact I think I've seen that complaint a couple times. Not to be a major thorn in the side but honestly every time i see and hear "Sonic game" while mentioning Boom, whether it be good or bad reception, I don't care, I just wish people would realize that because it's not a normal Sonic game, it's not automatically stripped of its name and "shouldn't be a sonic game because it's not a sonic game" Like what? Making a new branch of your game doesn't mean it should equal previous titles in the other branch. Like, if thats the case, why even make the other branch. 

Also I wish people would realize that- this isn't supposed to be a "Sonic" game. That's like saying, "Hey- lets make this new branch of cereal from our normal cereal. Like- um- call it clusters!" *makes the same cereal, slaps a paint job on the box* "There we go! Our new branch of cereal!" 

I'm not saying love it- but it'd be really nice on the eyes if I didn't see comparisons to normal sonic left and right. 

Note: this isn't just to you- but everyone

I forgot what else I was gonna say... well... dang... 

• Thumbs Up 8

Hey, I for one, wanna see more Boom games.

You haven't even played the game yourself yet, and already you want to see more be made?

I feel the exact same way, actually. I honestly wouldn't mind if Sega made this the new "main" Sonic series, if I wasn't afraid that would cause the internet fanbase to go up in flames.

I'm not saying love it- but it'd be really nice on the eyes if I didn't see comparisons to normal sonic left and right. 

Wouldn't it? Sadly, that really is asking for a lot. Sonic is in it, so comparisons are going to be made.

Like, if thats the case, why even make the other branch. 

Exactly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehh, those impressions on the last page seem hyperbolic to the extreme. There is no way this game will be worse than Sonic2006, as he seems to imply.

I've read enough decent impressions coming out of E3 that one bad impression doesn't make me throw my arms in the air and shout "welp, guess this game is gonna suck now."

And at the end of the day, I'm buying it regardless, so...

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to be a major thorn in the side but honestly every time i see and hear "Sonic game" while mentioning Boom, whether it be good or bad reception, I don't care, I just wish people would realize that because it's not a normal Sonic game, it's not automatically stripped of its name and "shouldn't be a sonic game because it's not a sonic game" Like what? Making a new branch of your game doesn't mean it should equal previous titles in the other branch. Like, if thats the case, why even make the other branch. 

Also I wish people would realize that- this isn't supposed to be a "Sonic" game. That's like saying, "Hey- lets make this new branch of cereal from our normal cereal. Like- um- call it clusters!" *makes the same cereal, slaps a paint job on the box* "There we go! Our new branch of cereal!" 

I feel the same. Just because it's not your typical, run-of-the-mill Sonic game doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be a Sonic game at all. The people behind the Boom sub-franchise are doing things differently, sure, but that doesn't instantly make me turn a blind eye to it. I'm willing to try new things even if they make big changes to everything.

I don't hate Boom because it's different compared to what's come from Sonic games before. In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing this fresh spin on the Sonic franchise.

The reason why the impressions don't really change my view is because he mostly complained about how the controls worked. Stuff like that is usually ironed out by final release.

Also next Sonic 06? Like seriously? :/

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeesh. I doubt any game in creation will be able to pry that trophy from 06's cold dead fingers! :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Bit quick to be off-set by one impression like that.

There have been quite a few negative/mixed impressions already. This one just makes me even more concerned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something I notice a lot, any game someone doesn't like tends to be compared to being as bad as 06.

Though, I do wonder, if it doesn't do well, how bad the ramifications will be on the series. My fear is them wanting to keep anybody who's not Sonic any further away from being played in the main series. I just fear that SEGA will blame other playable characters or having a story as the reason for its failure.

• Thumbs Up 2