Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

It looks pretty cool, the combat -while looking a little button mashy- has a lot of character to it and it looks somewhat satisfying, speed levels look pretty fun, and the the boss fights look fun too. I'll wait until I see a bit more at E3. I'd like to see a full level in action.

• Thumbs Up 2

I REALLY hope that the same thing with 3D World happens with this game too Autosaver. All will be revealed next week anyway, so.

GameXplain has taken their videos down for some reason. But fear not, some other dude uploaded it and I will save the day by linking it!

@Autosaver

Nintendo vs Sega.

Its pretty much that simple.

Also 3D world was taking an established formula and running with it. It initially looked disappointing and bland. That changed when everyone saw the rest of it.

Boom, is a brand new take on the franchise. It doesn't look as polished as even the initial impressions videos of 3D world. People have every right to be sceptical. The onus is on BRB to prove us wrong. We shouldn't have to give them the benefit of the doubt. They haven't built a reputation strong enough to warrant something like that.

@Autosaver.  You pretty much rapped it up perfectly.  I mean to use an analogy, when a car reviewer is given a new Ferrari to drive a few months before it's out and complains the steering needs to feel lighter, then Ferrari can still make a change to the steering with those months to the mas production cars.  Same goes for games in my opinion... Except for Epic Mickey 2....

I honestly think the games are shaping up well so far. Sure, they may be a little rough, but as previously mentioned, the devs still have six months to fix everything, so let's not be too hard on the games right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Autosaver.  You pretty rapped it up perfectly.  I mean to use an analogy, when a car reviewer is given a new Ferrari to drive a few months before it's out and complains the steering needs to feel lighter, then Ferrari can still make a change to the steering with those months to the mas production cars.  Same goes for games in my opinion... Except for Epic Mickey 2....

Game development =/= car manufacturing/development...

What has BRB done so far, that warrants them getting the benefit of the doubt? 

• Thumbs Up 1

PSA:

Gameplay videos are back... only now they don't have any gameplay... just still images.

Was the reaction really that bad? Even if it wasn't damage control, it sure as hell looks like it was now.

@Scar, a lot of the guys who work there help make some pretty popular games.  I'd say that's reason enough to have faith in them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could this be the same for Sonic Boom?

Not quite. The things everyone disliked about 3D World wasn't its base gameplay, but how tame and uninspired the levels were. The problem was easily fixed by just showing that, hey, we actually really were creative with the level design after all!

Boom doesn't really have that opportunity. It's the very foundation of the game that people take issue with, how it plays. A great house built on sand can be easily washed away; no matter how much they expand on dull gameplay, dull gameplay is still at the heart of the experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Scar, a lot of the guys who work there help make some pretty popular games.  I'd say that's reason enough to have faith in them.

We'll see with the end result.

I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath.

The developer pedigree argument was also used for Bioware when Sonic Chronicles was in development. 

• Thumbs Up 9

The Wii U footage is pretty much what I expected from the game. I guess I had some small hope that it would look a bit more like a Sonic game (or just a better quality game in general) but not enough to really feel anything about this new footage. The villain's generic design is disappointing after Sticks, though.

On the other hand, the 3DS version looks surprisingly horrible in those screens. I can't seem to watch the actual video, so maybe it looks better in motion.

GameXplain has taken their videos down for some reason. But fear not, some other dude uploaded it and I will save the day by linking it!

Ooooh, thankyou! :3

Um... I have to say I like the looks of this; provided you can switch control between the characters like say, Abe and Munch in Munch's Oddysee. It's pretty much how I would imagine STC: the game to be like, in that you have a gang of characters beating the shit out of robots! Traditional Sonic it ain't, but I already knew that.

I like the look of Amy's agility and moveset, too! :B

However.... I don't like the look of Sonic. His model still looks a little odd. :/ It also looks like they've cut down on the messy spikes... which is a shame, I kinda liked the raggedy, split spikes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sigh, so much negativity. We were told the minute this game was revealed that it would be different, and now everyone's acting shocked that this isn't a regular Sonic game and proceeding to rip it several new ones. I guess you can't please everyone, especially in the Sonic fanbase.

The main problem isn't that this is not a regular Sonic game, the main problem here is that this is looking like a really mediocre game no matter how you look into it. It's not even about being a bad Sonic game, it's about being a bad game in general.

And please, don't antagonize the fanbase, not our fault the game isn't perfect and we're not loving it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Was the reaction really that bad?

Yes. Yes it was.

*Long post*

I REALLY hope that will be the case for Sonic Boom.

Edited by Omega Pipe

Aww, I didn't get to see the Gamexplain video before it was taken down. Really wanted to see it too.

Aww, I didn't get to see the Gamexplain video before it was taken down. Really wanted to see it too.

Halfway in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Theres something else I've just spotted in the video which is making me shake my head at.

How boss fights seem to work in Sonic Boom.

Use the ender beam to throw object or enemy at boss.

Eggman throw the missiles at it, Spider thing... throw enemies at it, giant drill thing, throw enemies at it.

Check the video if you don't believe me, you defeat the boss by throwing something at it, you don't actually attack the boss at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Check the video if you don't believe me, you defeat the boss by throwing something at it, you don't actually attack the boss at all.

Did you miss the part when Sonic and co beat the shit out of Eggman? Because, that happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

Theres something else I've just spotted in the video which is making me shake my head at.

Eggman throw the missiles at it, Spider thing... throw enemies at it, giant drill thing, throw enemies at it.

At the end of one of the videos it shows that the missiles stun Eggman's robot, then you need to attack his Eggmobile while it's on the ground.

Not defending the boss fights, I agree they're all copy paste, just pointing that out.

Funny, pretty sure I seen the 4 bring Eggman's mech down with their Enerbeams and lay the smack down on him after stunning him with his own missiles.

• Thumbs Up 7