Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Woah, woah. The werehog gameplay was only really bad because it was in a "Sonic" game. It could probably handle as a spin-off with Knuckles of some sort or form (I personally didn't like it- just saying) 

And also, please refrain from calling the game trash, that's quite harsh to people who like it- it's like saying your concerns and posts about SEGA finances are trash when comparing them to normal posts. Yeah that's not fun. (that was just an example, I didn't actually mean it)

PS PS: The graphics aren't thee absolute best but nonetheless definitely above any PS2 title probably PS3 title at least. 

All hail omote23, may he release us from the dark ages of Sonic we've been having for years...

That was a joke

A joke maybe, but it's still a little mocking and I ask that we avoid engaging in such humor so as to preserve a positive atmosphere. Omote is as welcome here as any other member.

If you feel a person's arguments aren't solid, then the proper course of action is to counter-argue, not mock them.

• Thumbs Up 6

On the subject of the graphics, I personally think they're really nice now. I do find the game to be pleasant to look at, and while there's always room for improvement, the graphics definitely get the job done, for me at least. If those are "PS2 graphics," then this is one damn good looking PS2 game.

I don't need phenomenal graphics to enjoy a game, anyway; as long as it's fun, I'm good.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Kids: "Oh, I like this Sonic toy, let's buy it", "Oh, there's a TV show?, let's watch it!", "Oh, there's a game? Let's buy it!"

I don't recall saying Super Mario Galaxy looked worse than Sonic Colours. Again, you didn't read my post:

Mom - No. You can't I don't have enough money to buy Wii U and Sonic Boom.

(If mom were gamer)

Mom - No, You can't because Sonic Boom review score is horrible, Instead play other fun games such as Pokemon.

2. Oh..... yeah, I can't refute this, 

A joke maybe, but it's still a little mocking and I ask that we avoid engaging in such humor so as to preserve a positive atmosphere. Omote is as welcome here as any other member.

If you feel a person's arguments aren't solid, then the proper course of action is to counter-argue, not mock them.

Oh, sorry then, carry on

That's implying (which is very justified and likely, mind you), that the kid doesn't have a Wii U.

(If mom were gamer)

Mom - No, You can't because Sonic Boom review score is horrible, Instead play other fun games such as Pokemon.

Unlikely and again it's all down to personal preference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Woah, woah. The werehog gameplay was only really bad because it was in a "Sonic" game. It could probably handle as a spin-off with Knuckles of some sort or form (I personally didn't like it- just saying)

It doesn't really matter though, pretty much everyone criticising the new gameplay is doing so saying it looks bad generally, not bad because it's in a Sonic game.  The werehog, just like this gameplay, was very subjective too.  Some people found it devoid of fun entirely, some people enjoyed it once levelled up, some people liked it but, as you said, thought it was the wrong game to have it, etc.

And also, please refrain from calling the game trash, that's quite harsh to people who like it

Ehhh you kinda need to grow thicker skin just a little bit. If someone is saying why they think something is trash they have every right to, and you shouldn't let it affect how much you enjoy it.  I think Unleashed is the best 3D Sonic so if I let criticism of a game I like get to me I'd be getting therapy right now.  =B

• Thumbs Up 4

More like, "Maybe for Christmas, honey," or, "If you're willing to save up for it."

Because review scores are everything and telling your kid you can't have something just because they don't like it (or more likely never played  it because they believe Reviews are the Gospel), is a-ok.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not about thicker skin just the principle, man. I get what you're saying but I was just makin' a point.

What kind of parents actually bother to look up or care about review scores nowaday? Whenever I ask my mom to buy me a game for Christmas, birthdays, etc she goes ahead and buy it for me and she's not all like "Oh, this game is getting bad scores on the interweb, let me buy my daughter another game I'll think she will like instead".

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm really hoping the tight controls and momentum style physics in Boom Wii U are perfect. I can't stress enough how important this is. It doesn't matter how good a game looks or sounds if the physics are poor, which can completely ruin the experience. Which is exactly what happened with Lost World.

There have been problems with the physics in all the recent main-Sonic games. In Heroes, ShTH and Unleashed the controls were too slippery. In Colours the jumping/double jumping controls were stiff etc. I just think it's vital that BRB get the physics right, because if they do then they already have a strong foundation to make a decent game.

3. this game has NO attraction for Normal Gamers

What does this mean?

What kind of parents actually look up or care about review scores nowaday? Whenever I ask my mom to buy me a game for Christmas, birthdays, etc she goes ahead and buy it for me.

I doubt my parents gave much of a damn; I think they mostly just bought whatever they thought would get my interest like Age of Mythology, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, or whatever I asked for game-wise.

The only time I ever recall being questioned about my game of choice was from a Gamestop employee when I went to buy Sonic Unleashed HD. He looked at me funny IIRC.

What does this mean?

He thinks Boom will only be bought by Sonic fans. Not "normal" gamers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man oh man Omote, clearly you have made me see the light as to why I didn't get that one measly Sonic title for Christmas. My parents couldn't care less about gaming in general, but shucks, they must have felt such a burning desire to check a measly review score before picking it up, not because they felt I had already gotten enough already. Boy was I wrong to assume that.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm pretty sure even gamer parents don't really care about review score as long as their kid is happy with it. Because as a parent there are far bigger priorities than checking the review score of a game. If a kid wants it and think it looks cool, by all means let them buy it/have it as a present/treat.

If it turns out to be bad and they don't like it, return it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really hoping the tight controls and momentum style physics in Boom Wii U are perfect. I can't stress enough how important this is. It doesn't matter how good a game looks or sounds if the physics are poor, which can completely ruin the experience. Which is exactly what happened with Lost World.

There have been problems with the physics in all the recent main-Sonic games. In Heroes, ShTH and Unleashed the controls were too slippery. In Colours the jumping/double jumping controls were stiff etc. I just think it's vital that BRB get the physics right, because if they do then they already have a strong foundation to make a decent game.

You should realize at this point there is almost no doubt that sonic boom will lack any remnant of momentum style physics.

In this game sonic pretty much has 2 speed. walking and not walking, there will be no in betweens or acceleration.

I honestly dont get why you would think this game would have momentum based physics and hate to be the one to let you know this game that the game has one of the things you seem to hate the most.

Also to adress omotes points .

1.Graphics are bad.

I think they arent horrible but still more of a minus than a plus.

2.Combat is bad.

Sure is.

3.The average gamer wouldnt be intrested in this game.

They arent and sadly even sonic fans dont seem all that up for it.

(If mom were gamer)

2. Oh..... yeah, I can't refute this,

That's...not really likely.

Firstly, I really can't see anyone doing that WiiU stuff to their kid. Who cares if it comes from a WiiU game? They like it. They beg their mom/dad.

Secondly...even a gamer parent would respect their child's choices. This doesn't even have a gamer score yet, I believe, and I'm honestly tired of you being so intent on the notion that Sonic Boom sucks. Right now, the feelings about Sonic boom outside of the fans are a mixed bag. And most fans are really excited for it!

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not about thicker skin just the principle, man. I get what you're saying but I was just makin' a point.

What principle?

-----------------------------------------------------

Just a quick note about the graphics. Whether or not they resemble a PS1, 2 or 3 game is up for debate (I personally rate it as early PS360 quality). Simple fact is, BOOM doesn't even look as good as Unleashed. Yeah, Unleashed cause some serious framerate problems, but I still feel that a game with the graphical fidelity as Unleashed would run just fine on the Wii U. Certainly if Nintendo can get Mario Kart 8 to render native 1080p at 60 frames per second, SEGA should be able to get similar results, if not quite at the same level.

Visuals are another disappointing facet of this game. Though I wasn't a huge fan of Lost World's style vs Unleashed, at least it looked clean, and presentable. Right now, even with the updated footage, the graphics look dull, washed out and generally poor. They lack the pop that both LW and Unleashed had.

Makes me feel as though BRB were brought in to make a BOOM tie-in fairly last-minute, seeing as they're using Unreal Engine CryEngine, rather than using one of Sonic Team's in-house graphics engines....

• Thumbs Up 3

It's CryEngine that's being used, not Unreal. I don't think Unreal is supported on Wii U....

It's CryEngine that's being used, not Unreal. I don't think Unreal is supported on Wii U....

Ahh sorry, my mistake. Will edit.

Makes me feel as though BRB were brought in to make a BOOM tie-in fairly last-minute, seeing as they're using Unreal Engine, rather than using one of Sonic Team's in-house graphics engines....

They are using the cryengine not the unreal engine.

Both of which are vastly more powerful than anything sonic team has been using to make sonic games. SO if anythings its a positive.

I'm honestly tired of you being so intent on the notion that Sonic Boom sucks. Right now, the feelings about Sonic boom outside of the fans are a mixed bag. And most fans are really excited for it!

The overwhelming negativity i've been seeing towards boom makes me question how anyone could say most people are excited for it. What does other peoples opinion have to do with him thinking boom is a bad game anyway.

Right now, the feelings about Sonic boom outside of the fans are a mixed bag. And most fans are really excited for it!

I'm sorry, but really, no. Outside the fanbase, the reaction ranges from "meh, another Sonic?" to "What the fuck is this they had it right with Generations why won't they shut up why does it look like a PS2 licensed platformer". On the fanbase, outside some places like SSMB or the SEGA Forums that go rabid at the sheer mention of "we have a plot", reaction has been all over the place- definitely not "most fans are really excited for it".

• Thumbs Up 6

I believe, and I'm honestly tired of you being so intent on the notion that Sonic Boom sucks.

Why? Why are you tired of people saying that Boom sucks? Does it bother you that much? Nobody wants the game to be bad, but people call what they see.

Frankly, I'm tired of this bullshit where people get defensive about an unreleased game, and start to rail on the people who are negative towards it. Why is it OK to be ultra positive about a game, but suddenly its offensive to feel the opposite way?

So many times I see people say, "Oh, we haven't seen enough to make proper judgement, so don't be so harsh" or something along those lines. Truth be told, the same applies in the opposite case. We haven't seen enough to cautiously optimistic. If anything, the negative approach is more reasonable. I mean, what about SEGA's track record when it comes to Sonic, immediately conjures a thought of reliability, such that we can look at a new game like Boom (which looks to be a considerable departure from regular Sonic fare...even by today's standards) and be optimistic about its quality?

This is SEGA, not Sakurai. We should by all accounts, have no reason to trust that this will be a good game at all. We should, as the rest of the gaming industry is, be sceptical.

I'm not saying this to undermine your opinion at all. Anyone who looks at Boom and feels that it will be a great game...all the power to you. I hope that it is that good in the end. Like I said, nobody wants this game to be terrible. This brand can only take so much more punishment. I truely wish it all the best.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing it, and I'm not about to neuter my opinion because somebody else might get a little irritated by me raining on their parade.

EDIT:

I apologise for this slightly off-topic rant.

Right now, the feelings about Sonic boom outside of the fans are a mixed bag. And most fans are really excited for it!

"Most fans are excited"? Can you prove this? Doesn't seem that way from my perspective. Some people who were so positive about a game as polarising as Lost World, and have been positive for the last few game releases are now feeling negative. Pretty big shift in my opinion.

Granted its a small sample, but still. I'm not seeing this claim of "most fans are excited".

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 6

The overwhelming negativity i've been seeing towards boom makes me question how anyone could say most people are excited for it. What does other peoples opinion have to do with him thinking boom is a bad game anyway.

Most people do seem to be excited for it, but the ones with negative opinions are more vocal. Even on effing YouTube, the reception seems overall pretty positive, and videos with Sonic Boom footage get more likes than dislikes. 

• Thumbs Up 2