Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Most people do seem to be excited for it, but the ones with negative opinions are more vocal. Even on effing YouTube, the reception seems overall pretty positive, and videos with Sonic Boom footage get more likes than dislikes. 

YouTube comments don't make for an accurate gauge of anticipation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Neither sides of the coin are truly wrong or jumping the gun per say. You're either optimistic over the game, good for you, or pessimistic, because you have your reasons.

If it wasn't the most obvious thing in the world, tons of us, myself included, have been highly vocal with our negativity, and for good reason. Is it honestly THAT unreasonable to be up in arms over how it doesn't feel like a good Sonic game, or even a good game in its own right?

Has it ever occurred to some of you that we dislike the game for the same reason you like it so far? Doesn't the phrase "different strokes for different folks" exist for a reason? It shouldn't be difficult to form your own judgement without someone else's opinion mucking it up for you.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm honestly torn on the game. I like it but some info we have coming in from people who demoed it is making me worried. I don't think this game will do well at all in terms of reviews, because people will judge it as a Sonic game. And while I don't mind something different, I can't really say I blame people for judging it as a Sonic game. 

I'm honestly torn on the game. I like it but some info we have coming in from people who demoed it is making me worried. I don't think this game will do well at all in terms of reviews, because people will judge it as a Sonic game. And while I don't mind something different, I can't really say I blame people for judging it as a Sonic game. 

It will do bad in reviews not because its being judged as a sonic game but because its just not a good game.

Here's the thing about people judging it as a Sonic game though.  If it's fun, they'll say so.  They might say "it's fun but not what I want out of a Sonic game", and that's fine, but if it's not fun, of course they are going to talk about the Sonic games that WERE fun and question why they didn't do more of that.

But if a Sonic game that tried to depart from what the series is known for had been successful, we would've had reviews saying so.  But as it stands Sonic is yet to do anything that surpasses the classic games for most reviewers.

EDITED - Because Gabe convinced me, you can read his quote for my original rant- :

My feelings on Sonic Boom, Rise of Lyric - I'm optimistic. I'm not seeing anything stellar, but that's OK - looks like a pretty good tie-in game. I have a lower expectation of quality than others, due to a diet of fairly decent movie tie-ins (IMO - they only got really bad round 7th gen). This game also reminds me of the Robots tie-in, probably one of my favourite games I've ever played purely for the world itself. So yeah, nothing stellar. Will it sell with kids? I think it will. Hell yeah, it will, if they lap that Sky-landers stuff up then they'll love this. Critics? They seemed optimistic at the initial reveal, but off-put by the E3 demo. Hopefully those issues will be cleared up by launch, but maybe not. I'm predicting mixed reviews, though I hope Sega will pull a Generations/COD and throw some money the critics way as this is a big new thing for them. The fans? I think we can already see they'll be divided. Some people will like it, some people will hate, and quite a few people will avoid commenting as they like the game for what it is but don't want a lengthy discussion about it's flaws.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Honestly, every time I stick my head into a Sonic Boom topic, it's the same. A constant argument about the quality of the game, and everyone repeating the same explanations of "Group A like because of this. Group B dislike it because of this," promptly followed by an rebuttal of "Actually, I like/dislike it because of this..."

It seems to me that almost every topic seems to fall back into this argument whenever there's an absence of news. It doesn't seem quite healthy to me. However, there's nothing partially wrong with debate - as long as it remains civil and doesn't devolve into rants and treating the others like idiots - so I guess I'll just leave out of it for the most part, leaving you guys to your discussions.

• Thumbs Up 4

My Biggest Complaint with the Boom comments is the whole Sonic game talk. I still don't think they should be bound to making it "Sonicy" because else wise a couple of games we love in this series wouldn't have come to be. Another reason is it all depends on what the person says "Sonic" is to them. 

So from my perspective it's x or y and from say Ubi's it's a or b and when trying to say this isn't like a "Sonic" game (not you Ubi) it becomes a debate that boils down to what people think Sonic is. And THAT is where my problem sprouts from.

It's fine for everyone to have their own views on Sonic just as we all have our own views of life but putting Boom down because it's not like a Sonic game will all boil down to a "different strokes for different folks" thought process, which in turn makes people say "this is what Sonic is, so this is why it's good" or "Sonic games have always been about, so that's why it's horrible." 

It almost feels as if your opinion is getting shoved down my throat. It's probably the same with people who are saying it's good but with the neutral - against Boom crowd it's... hard to explain. Now note! I'm not saying the Pro-Boom party isn't any less like this.

When I post Sonic wasn't always about Speed, like going super fast in stages but more or less the flow through those stages which in theory means each time you flow through the stage you're going faster but I always get combated (Note: I know there are people on my side) with comments like "Sonic was always about speed" or "Speed is the main focus of Sonic"- which while true for his design wasn't fully true in his actual gameplay. The further the games came along the more speed and spectacle based they became, which isn't necessarily right either but everyone is so vocal about what Sonic is- and most don't consider that taking a new route for a game doesn't automatically make it not Sonic and someone being told to make a new game shouldn't have to have Sonic gameplay things but if they want to should totally include them. Making a new branch of your game can still have elements of the old one but it shouldn't held so tightly to the old one's standards and game design philosophy that it becomes bad that it doesn't have enough of the old ones game design. 

It's a new branch meant to create a NEW design philosophy- should it borrow from the other branch? Sure that's why it's a branch from the same tree. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope Sega will pull a Generations and throw some money the critics way as this is a big new thing for them. 

wait, you honestly think Sega paid critics to give Generations good press?

wait, you honestly think Sega paid critics to give Generations good press?

Hang, give me a second

I remember reading something about Sega... "Sponsoring"  IGN or some other critic around the time Sonic Generations was released. Think it was on this very site, actually. Can't seem to find the source right now, but I'll keep looking.

Update: Dangit, can't find it. Definitely remember as clear as day though! Anyone able to back me up on this?

Besides, didn't Sonic Unleashed get really bad reviews from critics and yet the majority of the fan base loves that game? Hell IGN gave Unleashed on the PS3/360 a lower score than fucking Sonic 06!

There's an example where a Sonic game turned out to be good, but critics were acting like it was a crappy game. I don't know if the same thing could happen to Sonic Boom, but you never know. Polarising opinions and stuff, just like SLW (though most fans agree with critics that it was meh).

• Thumbs Up 2

The game will be lambasted not for subpar level design or droning combat mechanics or even standard presentation, but simply because Sonic's friends are even there. SEGA will react to this feedback to meaning that they can make whatever kind of game they want as long as only Sonic is playable.

You know this is true.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sorry for my earlier thing about people saying it sucked, I just was irritated by Omote. And I'm sorry, Omote. I'll do my best not to be so rash about things...

I suppose I just focused more on the positive and thus thought of when I saw people being excited! What I think people are really getting excited about is actually the cartoon, oops. Though I personally am excited for both! 

I do still stand by my argument on people being too critical about Sonic, though...

Again, sorry guys!

I dunno. With there being so little difference between the characters this time, I think the game's overall problems might get more attention. I mean, looking at the Adventures and '06, I think one of the big problems as far as "Sonic vs Shitty Friends" is that Sonic has (or at least is closer to) the gameplay people want, while the Friends are saddled with a bunch of new and often non-Sonic mechanics and goals, that you have to slog through to get back to Sonic. Even in Generations, where the characters aren't playable, their existence still results in time not playing as Sonic (their "revival" cutscenes, short as they are). And I think people have kind of blown the reactions to the other characters in Generations out of proportion; some people were annoyed by them, but I don't remember anyone making it out to be a game-ruining issue.

I dunno. With there being so little difference between the characters this time, I think the game's overall problems might get more attention. I mean, looking at the Adventures and '06, I think one of the big problems as far as "Sonic vs Shitty Friends" is that Sonic has (or at least is closer to) the gameplay people want, while the Friends are saddled with a bunch of new and often non-Sonic mechanics and goals, that you have to slog through to get back to Sonic. Even in Generations, where the characters aren't playable, their existence still results in time not playing as Sonic (their "revival" cutscenes, short as they are). And I think people have kind of blown the reactions to the other characters in Generations out of proportion; some people were annoyed by them, but I don't remember anyone making it out to be a game-ruining issue.

Need I remind you that Kotaku made an article voicing their disapproval at Shadow being a boss fight when he was announced. An entire article dedicated to lambasting one character, a controversial character, but the point still stands. The reviewers still kind of have it out for Sonic because they expect him to do bad so they can scapegoat some product.

Most people do seem to be excited for it, but the ones with negative opinions are more vocal. Even on effing YouTube, the reception seems overall pretty positive, and videos with Sonic Boom footage get more likes than dislikes.

Yeah, YouTube comments and ratings are not a gauge for the entire world. Putting together all the previews, hands-on comments, YouTube stuff and even our very own SSMB, the game is panning at the moment. Yes, you may be hyped for it, as am I, but you have to notice, not many people are "for" this game.

Indeed, the current standing is more so, the case that both sides, whether they be for Boom or against it are rather equal. Neither side outweighs the other currently. For each person not looking forward to Boom  there's a someone positively looking forward to it. Ergo, the final release may or may not finally tip the scales one way or the other.

Oh, for hell's sake.

Every time I stick my head into a Sonic Boom topic, it's the same. Always the "Good, Bad" argument, and people waving their opinions on flag. Camp positive, camp negative both seem to be jumping down each other's throats for pages of debate.

There's of course, no problem with debate, but I can't deny that I feel in the absences between any news the atmosphere becomes very tense, and the pointless battles between both side rage on. Again, nothing wrong with discussing the quality of the game, but every argument now feels like a one-trick pony of "It's good." "No it's Bad!". Ugh. It's dragging this topic DOWN.

It would be nice if you could had just stated your opinions on the game and your thoughts on the mood of the topic without bringing out generalizations to this topic and the people who discuss the game in this subforum as a whole.

The conflicting opinions go beyond "positive camp" and "negative camp", the discussions being held aren't "pointless battles", and so far I haven't seen anyone try to pull the "opinion" card when they are questioned on what they think about the game for the past ten pages (and if they do, they are quickly and rightfully called out for it). Not everything is as black and white as you're making it out to be and it's not ruining the topic as you cry it is.

Really disappointed to see the "complaining about 'complaining'" card still being pulled for people to express how they feel about something-whether it be a game, the atmosphere of a topic, or otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

It will do bad in reviews not because its being judged as a sonic game but because its just not a good game.

Yeah, I actually forgot to mention that. Though I think I said that a couple of pages back.

Need I remind you that Kotaku made an article voicing their disapproval at Shadow being a boss fight when he was announced. An entire article dedicated to lambasting one character, a controversial character, but the point still stands.

Ok, see, it's one thing to pay attention to critical response. It's another to care about Kotaku.

Yeah, YouTube comments and ratings are not a gauge for the entire world. Putting together all the previews, hands-on comments, YouTube stuff and even our very own SSMB, the game is panning at the moment. Yes, you may be hyped for it, as am I, but you have to notice, not many people are "for" this game.

I can't say I believe that. I may not really have been right to say that most people are excited for this game, but I've seen enough positive previews, comments and YouTube stuff  that I just can't agree with you when you say this game is being panned overall. I think Jovahexeon was probably closer to the mark to say the people liking forward to it, either a little or a lot, and the ones disinterested or neutral are about equal.

What kind of parents actually bother to look up or care about review scores nowaday? Whenever I ask my mom to buy me a game for Christmas, birthdays, etc she goes ahead and buy it for me and she's not all like "Oh, this game is getting bad scores on the interweb, let me buy my daughter another game I'll think she will like instead".

Indeed. Most parents don't even bother to look at the ESRB ratings ("Oh my god! This new Grand Theft Auto game is so violent! Who bought it for you- oh."), and those are right on the very box. I think only parents who are gamers themselves will glance at ratings.

This is probably more of an issue now that so many of the gamer generation are having families of their own, but for most families, I don't think it's really a concern.

Never mind that your inclination as a parent isn't "This game doesn't look good, I won't buy it," so much as "My child wants this, so I'll buy it for them because I want them to be happy."

If my parents had ever bought me a Mario game when I wanted Sonic? I would have thrown a tantrum. I didn't ask for Mario, I asked for Sonic. Parents don't like their children being upset for some reason or another, and that's why the child tends to win out with what they want. Discipline exists just to keep the amount of tantrums and crying to a minimum (plus it prevents a child becoming spoiled, but I'm drifting off topic a bit).

• Thumbs Up 6

The game will be lambasted not for subpar level design or droning combat mechanics or even standard presentation, but simply because Sonic's friends are even there. SEGA will react to this feedback to meaning that they can make whatever kind of game they want as long as only Sonic is playable.

You know this is true.

I know you're joking, but i'm genuinely worried that something like this might happen.

You know this is true.

I'll be honest, SEGA getting the wrong message and blaming the friends and plot rather than the gameplay IS my biggest worry about this game if it fails.

Meaning, they'll shove them back even further.

Then again, even Lost World with all its nostalgia pandering, solo-Sonic, still didn't do well. But it still had more plot (and, at least, showed Amy and Knuckles) than Colors and Generations.

Wasn't that great of a plot, but still more.

• Thumbs Up 2

an interview with bob rafei.

I would talk about it but right now I cant really focus on it.

He mentioned around the 7:50 mark that Richard Jacques is composing the score for the Wii U version as well. Hopefully that's a relief for some of us who were worried about the music.