Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I agree that the Sonic series has stagnated and done the nostalgia thing too much (and poorly in many titles), and have wanted change for a while. That's why, once I got over the character designs admittedly, I rather welcomed Boom. But so far the gameplay seems both dull and too different. That's the problem.

Very much this.

Change is not bad. But that doesn't make all change good.

So far, Boom looks mediocre, and bares only the tiniest resemblance to an actual Sonic game, bar the name.

• Thumbs Up 9

Nostalgia pandering aside, I'm also just not the biggest fan of the boost style of play (though the games were fun), and Lost World's style was just... well, I wouldn't mind if there were more parkour-style games in the main series, but Lost World definitely didn't make the best first impression. This game, however, reminds me of the Adventure titles, but better in my opinion. It's got multiple playable characters, tons of exploration, genuinely fun looking combat, fewer 2D segments (from what I can tell), beautiful environments and lots of character. I think it's all coming together very well.

I've seen plenty of people on the internet saying this looks like a big step down from Generations (supposedly the best game since the Classics), even more than Lost World was. In my opinion, though, Generations, while fun, was a step down from Colors, and Boom is looking to top them both.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Boom has two things I like but also two things I dislike. The likes are what seems to be a good, in depth story and great characterization not seen in a regular Sonic game since Sonic 06 (even though characterization in that one sucked). The things I dislike though are the larger focus on brawling elements since brawler gameplay is not my cuppa tea and the repetitive dialogue throughout.

Funnily enough I find that more focus on exploration is a good thing however, since I like games that have moments where you can just take a breather and go looking around the environment for items and stuff. Which is also why I enjoyed Knuckles' treasure hunting stages so much. XP Helluva lot better and more fun than boost2win IMO.

I've seen plenty of people on the internet saying this looks like a big step down from Generations (supposedly the best game since the Classics), even more than Lost World was. In my opinion, though, Generations, while fun, was a step down from Colors, and Boom is looking to top them both.

UUUUUGH why does everyone love Generations so much~? >< Yeah sure, I'm in the minority here but I really think Sonic Generations is overrated and full of wasted potential. Best game since the Classics my arse!

• Thumbs Up 3

Only reason I care for Generations is it's gameplay [and the mods]. Unless the story is something I can engage with, I usually don't care.

I'm sure I've said it a load of times before, but that's just what I think. Although [as I'm sure I've said plenty of times as well] I prefered the Adventure gameplay more, and Boom looks more to catering towards that than Lost World did [which I blindly believed would be following the Adventure style].

• Thumbs Up 1

UUUUUGH why does everyone love Generations so much~? >< Yeah sure, I'm in the minority here but I really think Sonic Generations is overrated and full of wasted potential. Best game since the Classics my arse!

That's because it's the only one that managed to emulate the feel of the classics through its fantastic level design and (while not perfect) great control/physics, not to mention it focused on Speedy platforming with a bit of exploration via alternate routes. You know, the thing Sonic is supposed to be about.

I can myself say that I find Sonic Unleashed to be quite overrated over here. Yeah you can talk about how the story had its heart in the right place and tried something good, but the mediocre writing and complete lack of plot advancement/friendship development between Apotos and Adabat ruined its potential. You can also say that Unleashed felt alot more like an actual adventure instead of a collection of levels and its true, no argument from me.

Here's the thing though: The core of this series is the actual levels and how they play. Sonic Unleashed has gorgeous daytime levels but the controls needed being tightened a bit like they were in Generations, and the level design was more focused on dodging obstacles than platforming and exploring. Not to mention half of the game was a poorman's version of God of War that has no business being in a Sonic game.

Generations Modern stages on the other hand, use the classics as inspiration to create levels filled with platforming and multiple alternate routes that reward the player for skillful play. Coupled with tighter controls and an alternate gameplay style that actually belongs in a Sonic game and is equally well constructed, It's a significantly better crafted game when it comes to the actual gameplay.

Yes it's true, Unleashed and other games you still prefer over Generations have wonderful music/atmosphere, a better story and don't rely on nostalgia, I get that. But the thing is....games before Generations were extremely inconsistent in quality.

I agree that making the game feel like an actual adventure is needed, but honestly Boom's gameplay looks incredibly repetitive and bland to me. I might buy into its story and world, but if I'm not enjoying myself in the actual GAME than....There's only so much I can handle without well crafted gameplay unsure.png

Of course the ideal thing would be to have a game that does both, but if I have to choose between both aspects, I'll take gameplay, since this is a game we're talking about.

Sigh, sorry, had to take that out of my system tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 6

*post*

Oh no, I'm not defending Sonic Unleashed either. ^^; I think Unleashed is a very good game but I don't think it's Sonic's best 3D venture and it does have flaws like the ones you mentioned in your post. One thing I used to hate about Sonic Unleashed was how much trial and error there was and the huge amount of bottomless pits made the game feel like it was made by Dimps, not Sonic Team.

And yes I will agree that Sonic Generations had better controls than Unleashed and the level design was pretty great overall, but things like the story, the characters, the wasted potential and especially the final boss put a downer on the whole thing and it made me like Generations a lot less than most. I just can't ignore its flaws, sad to say.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh no, I'm not defending Sonic Unleashed either. ^^; I think Unleashed is a very good game but I don't think it's Sonic's best 3D venture and it does have flaws like the ones you mentioned in your post. One thing I used to hate about Sonic Unleashed was how much trial and error there was and the huge amount of bottomless pits made the game feel like it was made by Dimps, not Sonic Team.

And yes I will agree that Sonic Generations had better controls than Unleashed and the level design was pretty great overall, but things like the story, the characters, the wasted potential and especially the final boss put a downer on the whole thing and it made me like Generations a lot less than most. I just can't ignore its flaws, sad to say.

So which would you say is the best main game since the classics?

That's because it's the only one that managed to emulate the feel of the classics through its fantastic level design and (while not perfect) great control/physics, not to mention it focused on Speedy platforming with a bit of exploration via alternate routes. You know, the thing Sonic is supposed to be about.

For me, Generations was too fast and didn't have enough platforming for my liking. It was fun the first time, but unlike other Sonic games, after getting all the Red Rings I just can't bring myself to really play it anymore. I need things besides just speed to keep playing, which is why I like the Adventure titles, Unleashed and Colors more. Generations has nothing to break up all the speed, so it's just boring for me now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So which would you say is the best main game since the classics?

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2. They're tied, though I do prefer SA2 just a little bit more than SA1, mainly for nostalgia sake. And because Knuckles' treasure hunting stages are awesome in that game. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see where, what a person's favorite game fits into the convo, but nevermind that.

Generations indeed was a bore after 100%ing it. It felt so lifeless afterwards. Maybe it's just my taste but after beating each level fast multiple times it's not fun anymore. I get this rush of- "heh, cool" but nothing more. Not even caring about the story, it just lacks something. I can't put my finger on it but great graphics and "good" level design can only hold me over for so long. Especially since levels are really short and blasting through them is easy. I mean I died a couple of times when I first got the game because I was trying to go fast- after like 2 deaths on the last couple levels I memorized them and blast through them. The fun in that game lies more in nostalgia, graphics, and speedrunning. I liked speedrunning it for awhile but it only tied me over for so long. 

How this relates to Boom. I guess myself personally likes games where speeding through it is half the richness and where platforming doesn't have to be based around one central focus. I like Adventure 2 A LOT but I myself barely replay that because the levels for Sonic aren't built around multiple paths and platforming but rather quick thinking platforming. Which isn't anywhere as bad as Unleashed (I LIKE UNLEASHED BTW) but it shows where the speedy thinking type stage style came from. I still love that game but it does have that flaw. If Boom can take advantage of it's more Adventure esque pace and speed then I feel levels can play a lot better and be more open. Just my opinion but--

• Thumbs Up 2

This reply has been sitting on the backburner for a while, but I might as well post it:

I don't see why people are even trusting these impressions for combat, anyway. A lot of these people probably don't have experience in brawler games but played the game anyways, like how some people obviously stunk at Unleashed and then blamed the game for it. Considering the last impression had the player complaining about having to hold down a button, I highly doubt he knew how to utilize the combat in a fast and efficient way, either.

We've seen that Sonic has a spindash and HA that takes down enemies in three fast, sharp hits, so I don't see why anything less should be expected from the combat.

I'm not talking only about the budget for the game. I'm talking about the money Sega has sunk into the entire branch: the games and their developers (let's not forget the 3DS version), the show, toys, and subsequent advertising. Every single thing has undoubtedly had tons of money pumped into it, so again, they're not just going to halt everything even in the case that Boom turns out mediocore, at least not without cutting serious losses. They want this thing to be a large entity. They're not going to just run the show for five seasons and ditch the games.

Hmm, true, SEGA will probably stick BRB to it, given their track record of staring failure in the face. Though if anything goes first, it'll probably be the games, since they're the least profitable lot of the media they're creating, and the most detached from the overall appeal for kids. They probably won't actually do such a thing, though.

The game is not trying to forge its own identity in the sense that it's an original property. It's trying to forge its identity as ultimately a Sonic spin-off series. It's a big one, but it's still a spin-off nonetheless. To ditch one of the major things about the entire franchise's identity- not just the Boost games- is understandably off-putting. Even with me being eager to play it, I'm not counting out moments where I might say "I could've been at x point by now," and it's not fair to dismiss this feeling as somehow playing the game wrong, because no matter how many times people say it, Sonic Boom- a platformer game with Sonic The Hedgehog and his friends in it, being overseen and officially published by Sega- is still a Sonic game. It will always have ties to its parent franchise no matter how many times we are told it shouldn't or, somehow, doesn't.

They didn't ditch it, they just inserted it into the segments they felt it was best suited for.

I don't think you're giving the term "spin-off" enough leeway here, though. In my eyes, if a series is still trying to utilize the same characters, just in a different universe, the least they are obligated to do is acknowledge the ability of the protagonist is still there. If they've accomplished that, they can go wild with whatever style they want, if they think it will be appealing. This is the attitude Alphadream took towards the M&L series, and it worked quite well. It didn't grab the same audience as the main Mario games, but that wasn't their intentions in the first place, and it still did well enough to bring in a dedicated fanbase.

If there are any moments in the game where you say "I could have been there by now" and there's clearly no reason not to be, though, then that's just poor level pacing. If you set a certain speed, you need to build your levels around that speed.

That being said, I don't think it's entirely rational to create this dichotomy implying that the only things that are replayable are fast games and the only immersive games are slow ones. Immersion comes from the addictiveness of a gameplay's style, regardless of its base speed. Unleashed, to me, is immersive. Burnout Revenge is immersive. Hydro Thunder is immersive, because they're simply fun. The fact that they go fast is merely part of the appeal and an element of their style, not some objective indicator that they somehow lack immersion.

I never said that the two were exclusive, only that both of the styles emphasize one more than the other.

And you and I have two very different definitions of immersion when it comes to video games. Immersion to me is when you are immersed into the game's universe, the state of awareness where you not only acknowledge the gameplay's fun factor, but the world around you, the characters in it, and the situations you and they are in. When going slowly, you're given more time to think about such stuff, but when blistering at supersonic speeds like in burnout, the only thing you're focused on is your performance and what's ahead of you. This is why replayability is a defining point for such gameplay, in my opinion, as people are never bored with such speeds and can play it again and again while constantly bettering themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the entire basis for your definition of immersion?

Subsequently, to speed the gang up from how they move now would not necessarily break the appeal of the broad design of a more methodical platformer. You don't need to have them moving at 300 mph, but a steady 70- or at least some ability to reach 70 whether that be a natural accelerating property or a run button a la traditional platformers- would probably be much better than a static 25 through the school zone for most of the time. 

I never said I was against the idea of speeding them up a bit. Though really, such a thing shouldn't be necessary if the stage is designed properly. Speed is subject to it's environment, and the environment's purpose is subject to it's speed; as such, their relationship should be respected. Colors suffered from an engine too fast for it's blocky platforming, and SLW suffered from too slow of an engine for its barren 2D strips of land. Both were unfitting for their stage design, and as a result, players were confused with their purpose, and irritated by the inconsistency, leading to complaints such as "it's too blocky!" or "it's too slow!". Speeding up Sonic if he's already fast enough will just make the purpose of the level unclear, like speeding up a tractor in a plowing simulator.

Another idea we need to stop perpetuating is the idea that every change is going to cause large-scale splintering in the fan base. Not only is it ironically against the idea of improvement- because you cannot inherently improve things without changing them- but it eliminates the potential for compromise and more satisfying games. 

Eh, no.

Change is not improvement, it's abandoning an approach for another. It can be better than the previous approach, and therefore be improvement, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still a different approach.

Improvement inherently is the polish of a thing or idea, usually getting rid of flaws, such as poor execution. What matters is whether you are focusing on what such an idea or thing is trying to accomplish when you do improve it, or are focusing on what you wish it to be. That's change, not improvement.

Change is always tied to conflicting views, though, and be it large or small, will create a fissure between two parties that enjoy one thing or the other. It comes with human taste, which will always be unique to the other in some way.

So no, I don't think it's wrong to assume that change will alienate a portion of people who like a specific thing. Though "large-scale splintering" is a bit of an exagerration.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you sure about that Werehog bit, Deleter? If I seemed to recall, most complaints over it stemmed from being an uninspired God of War clone.

Granted, I had little to no qualms with how The Werehog played, aside from being in the game itself, and I have not played any GOW titles. Still, you can't just hand wave that people with actual problems across the board are simply inexperienced, rather than finding legitimate flaws on occasion.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The werehog I'm pretty sure only had two moves in the demos and didn't even focus on speedy combos, so I highly doubt anyone had a problem with them. I don't recall bringing up the Werehog, though?

I saw your name dropping of Unleashed and made assumptions, my bad :P

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't see why people are even trusting these impressions for combat, anyway. A lot of these people probably don't have experience in brawler games but played the game anyways, Considering the last impression had the player complaining about having to hold down a button, I highly doubt he knew how to utilize the combat in a fast and efficient way, either.

considering the only way to beat the boss is by holding down the button i doubt there si a faster way to do that. The reason people trust these impressions is because it looks boring,slow, uninteresting and not anything like a sonic game and many people who play it agree its boring, slow and uninteresting and not anything like a sonic game

They didn't ditch it, they just inserted it into the segments they felt it was best suited for.

Making a minigame with it doesnt change the fact that it was ditched from the core gameplay

I never said I was against the idea of speeding them up a bit. Though really, such a thing shouldn't be necessary if the stage is designed properly. Speed is subject to it's environment, and the environment's purpose is subject to it's speed; as such, their relationship should be respected. 

It shouldnt be neccessary because it should have been done a long time ago. Sadly you're right , levels have already been designed with a faster speed in mind. The character should be sped up but its already to late

Change is not improvement, it's abandoning an approach for another. It can be better than the previous approach, and therefore be improvement, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still a different approach.

Improvement inherently is the polish of a thing or idea, usually getting rid of flaws, such as poor execution. What matters is whether you are focusing on what such an idea or thing is trying to accomplish when you do improve it, or are focusing on what you wish it to be. That's change, not improvement.

So no, I don't think it's wrong to assume that change will alienate a portion of people who like a specific thing. Though "large-scale splintering" is a bit of an exagerration.

No change isnt improvement but yes it is required you change something to improve it. If you didnt change anything it would be exactly how you left it and  therefore would be in no way improved. when something is polished or tweaked it is being changed. Also no changing something has nothing to do with throwing your previous aproach away.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gosh I really hate the term "Sonic Game" now.

I think that I will enjoy this game as long as the level's are fun and replayable and the story is good.One thing that really catches my eye is how every thing works as a unit. My one big gripe is that in the demo, each of the levels had this split up mentality. Where one would take the left and the other would take the right BUT the initial trailer drenches this small flicker because it show's the multitude of paths in that one section- when Knuckles was Monkey Bar climbing. So that really makes me hopeful. Also I think the whole speed thing isn't taking in account that you're not actually playing it. I mean watching a Speed Run and Doing one are two different feels. When you actually perform those tricks you feel a lot faster than the video you watched shows; that might be the case here. 

WARNING! "Sonic Game" semi-speech approaching- Are we still hung up on this dang topic- anything can be considered a Sonic game. If the developers take it a direction it can be a Sonic game. Now does that mean it partains to the Sonic "Spirit", his origins, or what he is 

about? No. But they can still take it a different direction if they see fit but they'd most likely keep similar concepts- which the Sonic series does indeed do. So yeah... Boost? It kept the speed concept and "platforming" concept, so---- it's a sonic game. simple. Boom? Platforming more similar to the classics pace and has "speed" sections, Sonic is on the title, he's a main playable character, it has Sonic game concepts like springs--- it's a Sonic game.. Simple. Please let's rename that dang term. It's so dumb to classify a game as not Sonic because it's different- especially considering all the different we've had. But as I said- they all keep samey concepts so---?

If you're not in a debating mood- don't read that damn [4th] spoiler. hue hue...

• Thumbs Up 2

considering the only way to beat the boss is by holding down the button i doubt there si a faster way to do that. The reason people trust these impressions is because it looks boring,slow, uninteresting and not anything like a sonic game and many people who play it agree its boring, slow and uninteresting and not anything like a sonic game

I wasn't talking about the lasso? I was talking about how he felt towards the combat as a whole. He wasn't even complaining about the speed of the lasso in the first place, just the fact that he had to hold it down.

Making a minigame with it doesnt change the fact that it was ditched from the core gameplay

No, it doesn't, but it does change the fact that it was ditched from the entire game and Sonic's identity.

It shouldnt be neccessary because it should have been done a long time ago. Sadly you're right , levels have already been designed with a faster speed in mind. The character should be sped up but its already to late

These levels? Designed with a faster speed in mind?? Pff, name one instance where they're walking in a straight line for more than ten seconds.

No change isnt improvement but yes it is required you change something to improve it. If you didnt change anything it would be exactly how you left it and  therefore would be in no way improved. when something is polished or tweaked it is being changed. Also no changing something has nothing to do with throwing your previous aproach away.

No, it's... Nevermind, forget it. I probably had it all wrong.

What I was saying is that I consider polishing, like smoothing out the glitches or a bad physics engine, (clear objective flaws) to be worthy of calling "improvement" inherently, at least from a video game standpoint. If you do change something from an approach standpoint, such as a faster speed or weaker enemies, it can either be an improvement or a degrade comparatively, when it comes to what the game's trying to accomplish. Change can go both ways. Therefore, it isn't inherent.

• Thumbs Up 4

For me, Generations was too fast and didn't have enough platforming for my liking. It was fun the first time, but unlike other Sonic games, after getting all the Red Rings I just can't bring myself to really play it anymore. I need things besides just speed to keep playing, which is why I like the Adventure titles, Unleashed and Colors more. Generations has nothing to break up all the speed, so it's just boring for me now.

And that's why Sonic Generations isn't a great game. And considering sales. I'm sure Sonic Generations is another dark age(I'll post another thread about this)

Anyway, on topic. Since Boom was announced, I can't find ANY Intersting gameplay and system for Normal gamers(A.K.A Main customers, or Non-Sonic fans.) Before E3, although Sega's sales estimate is ridicluous. I still have interest about this game and I hoped Stephen release a interesting things of Boom in E3. but in reality, They didn't release any interesting things for Normal Gamer. I felt betrayed, and disappointed by Sonic Boom and Stephen frost. Graphic is just between Thunder force 6 to Sonic 06. Gameplay is awful, (In detail, Slow speed, Tempo is frequently stopped, etc...) and character design makes hatred to Sonic Boom.

Plus ridicluous sales estimate makes the game worse. They estimate Boom Wii U version were sold over 600k copies. It's impossible consider SLW's sales. So. This ridicious sales estimate makes investors angry. As a result. Stock price was dropped to 1,700 yen after 4Q financial report was released despite the solid results and good casino related news.

Normal Gamers. Investors, and even Many Sonic fans Hatred it. I can't find any hope about this game.

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

*Throws hands up* Ahh okay, I'm just joking. 

Anyways- I still don't see Thunder force 6 or 06 in these graphics. Is it just because it's not as good as Lost World- because that's probably not gonna happen again, while nice those overall designs were so simplistic that better graphics were easier to pull off (not THAT much easier but you get the point). I still don't see these as bad.

*Throws hands up* Ahh okay, I'm just joking.

Anyways- I still don't see Thunder force 6 or 06 in these graphics. Is it just because it's not as good as Lost World- because that's probably not gonna happen again, while nice those overall designs were so simplistic that better graphics were easier to pull off (not THAT much easier but you get the point). I still don't see these as bad.

So. I'have a question.

If Boom graphic isn't bad. Why most people think this game graphic is as same as PS2 game?. (I mean, Gameplay graphic. Not a tralier and screenshot graphic).

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

Change can go both ways. Therefore, it isn't inherent.

Starting with the point about change.. to keep it short all that was being said is that to improve something you have to change it which im sure we both get at this point.

These levels? Designed with a faster speed in mind?? Pff, name one instance where they're walking in a straight line for more than ten seconds.

I was actually annoyed by that when i first read it but then I realized I had put they had been designed for fast charcter when what I meant to type was they SHOULD HAVE BEEN designed for faster characters. To restate the point, The characters should have been sped up a long time ago therefore the levels should have been designed with a faster speed in mind.

I wasn't talking about the lasso? I was talking about how he felt towards the combat as a whole. He wasn't even complaining about the speed of the lasso in the first place, just the fact that he had to hold it down.

You said we shouldnt be listening to there comments because basically they arent good at the game. My point is that since the game is bad getting good at it wont make the game any better.

No, it doesn't, but it does change the fact that it was ditched from the entire game and Sonic's identity.

Which is pretty much just as bad. Its them saying "no look this is a sonic game really".

Gosh I really hate the term "Sonic Game" now.

If you're not in a debating mood- don't read that damn [4th] spoiler. hue hue...

What it comes down to is some people need more than just sonics face to think of something as a sonic game. In a sonic game you feel like you are playing as sonic. that is the simplest way to define it. But honestly the definition doesn't matter, most people can tell what a sonic game feels like and this isn't it.

Also im sorry but if you think that sonic boom is going to start feeling fast when your playing it. Well that's just not gonna happen.

So. I'have a question.

If Boom graphic isn't bad. Why most people think this game graphic is as same as PS2 game?. (I mean, Gameplay graphic. Not a tralier and screenshot graphic).

It would appear you're a bit late to the party, obligatory "You're too slow!tongue.png " joke aside, seeing as how that sentiment has overall since long passed with the coming of the more, shall I say, enhanced build.

Our own Hogfather brought this up on our message boards. Look at this snapshot from Sonic Boom’s pre-E3 B-Roll footage.

Sonic-Boom-pre-E3.png

Looks like an old PS2 game right? Super bland textures. No lighting. Now look at the same area from footage taken during E3.

Sonic-Boom-E3.pngHoly cow! What a difference!  It looks 100 times better.

Original B-Roll from the Sonic Show

Now, this new footage from Nintendo World Report

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/sonic-booms-e3-makeover/

An efficient analysis of said upscale, has lifted spirits in regard to the graphics.

Anyway, I figure the Boom! thread is probably the best place for this, so say hello to Melpontro's new pet project!

• Thumbs Up 1

Also im sorry but if you think that sonic boom is going to start feeling fast when your playing it. Well that's just not gonna happen.

Are you really going to tell someone how they're going to feel about a video game when they play it? Really? It's okay to have your own opinion, and I respect your opinions, even if I don't agree with them (at all), but telling someone they're "not gonna feel fast" while playing Sonic Boom just because you don't think you will? Really, dude?

• Thumbs Up 4

In a sonic game you feel like you are playing as sonic. that is the simplest way to define it.

By those accounts, depending on how certain people take a shine to a certain direction, and the countless ways that they would define the series for themselves, it could very end up being the majority that feels like this plays as a Sonic game, whether you like it or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you really going to tell someone how they're going to feel about a video game when they play it? Really? It's okay to have your own opinion, and I respect your opinions, even if I don't agree with them (at all), but telling someone they're "not gonna feel fast" while playing Sonic Boom just because you don't think you will? Really, dude?

He said that something which is slow no matter which way you slice it is gonna be because your the one playing it. This isn't opinion anymore. He's just wrongsmile.png