Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (3DS)

Blue Blood

Sonic 3DS: The Crystal Shards.

Anyway, is anyone else preording both versions the day they become available? Cause I am because I should not have as much money as I do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Olgilvie, what one did you prefer? I think I still prefer 3DS.

The music sounds very Advance-esqe to me, reminds me of Neo Green Hill.

Wii U version was my preferred. I think I'm more biased towards open world play, though. I hate how limited I feel in 2.5D Sonic.

I still think it's mind blowing you can go right OR left.

Wait seriously?  

Wow next you will be telling be you can stop and go fast when you want to and not when the game says you can, but if BRB cant do that no one can.

On a serious note im loving this game. I love how much slower this game looks. It makes me feel like I will actually be able to think about my next move instead of just testing my reaction time. Yet it still feels like a sonic game with enough speed to make running up walls look right and just give a greater sense of flow that jak 4.

Even the tube levels look much more interesting and action packed. While I wish it were 3d I feel like a kid will buy this game and really know what sonics about.

(For some reason this is the only site my nets letting me browse.....)

Wait seriously?

Ha ha.

With games constantly telling you to go RIGHT. GO RIGHT. GO TO THE RIGHT!!!!  It's a nice change of pace.

From what I've seen, this game definitely has my interest. I love metroidvania games, and this game will be no exception. I like how they had the foresight to put in a map, too. Sonic games sometimes have the most confusing level design in the world.

The rival races look very reaction-based for a Boom game, but I don't mind. It's not like Sonic's never had them before. They look very well done; like Rivals' stages, only done right. The only real problem I might have with it, is that the speed is set to one setting, meaning you can't get a very good lead on the competition. In the video Sticks and Sonic were practically right beside each other throughout the entire race. Though it may add to the intensity through the futility, I don't think it would be that great to replay again.

The speed stage was the coolest thing in the trailer for me, as it was once again a 3D stage in a 2D game, and it looked very cinematic for a stage. When I saw the entire footage, though, it felt like the stage was on repeat, and seemed to be even more barebones than the Wii U speed stages. The later stages might have more to them, though, so we'll see.

I really like the gameplay, as well. It's simplistic enough to be a pick-up-and-play game, and the dash move is very reminiscent of Metroid-esque controls, especially with the air-dashing. Though I must say that I hate the concept of mandatory character switching, especially when the character's movesets are so one-note and clearly stuck into the game just for pandering/marketing/padding. Let's hope that's not the case with most of the characters, but Sticks and her Boomarang are pretty likely to be one.

Overall, I think it looks decent, but I have far more concerns with this as a game than the Wii U version, "more like Sonic" be dogged. Will probably buy it alongside the main release.

Richard Jacques is back to compose Sonic music? Awesome! :D

Though I don't think he's a Sonic Team "veteran" and I don't remember him residing in Japan (IIRC he only worked on the 3D Blast and R), but it's neat nonetheless. (If I am completely wrong though, please make sure to correct me).

Though I don't think he's a Sonic Team "veteran" and I don't remember him residing in Japan (IIRC he only worked on the 3D Blast and R), but it's neat nonetheless. (If I am completely wrong though, please make sure to correct me).

Secret Rings, Black Knight and Generations too. He's done a few works in other SEGA IPs too.

Richard Jacques is back to compose Sonic music? Awesome! biggrin.png

Didn't he do also at least Black Knight?

There's a lot more to it than just that!

• Black Knight (Shrouded Forest, various cutscene pieces)
  • Some non-specific contributions to Chronicles (which we can more than safely assume were mostly removed and/or bastardised)
  • Generations (Seaside Hill classic, 3D Blast theme/Mission 5, Biolizard, Sky Sanctuary modern in colab with Jun Senoue, Super Sonic Racing/Mission 1, Silver Battle, both versions of Time Eater, Egg Dragoon, Perfect Chaos part 2, cutscene music)
  • All Stars Racing and Superstars Tennis menu/theme tunes
  • 3D Blast PC/Saturn and Sonic R 
  • All Stars Racing Transformed

So yeah, lots of experience with the series and a really amazing track record even outside of it. His list of credits in games and movies is hugely extensive, he himself is fantastic!

Secret Rings, Black Knight and Generations too. He's done a few works in other SEGA IPs too.

Erm, not Secret Rings.

No, what he means is that Richard Jacques made some secret ringtones and hid them in... 

...uh... 

...I know this joke was going somewhere. Trust me, I'll think of a punchline.

• Thumbs Up 4

Richard Jacques at the helm of a new original Sonic soundtrack makes me very happy.

3DS Boom better get an OST, or at least a Sound Test to make it easy to rip music should they not want to release one.

• Thumbs Up 4

3DS Boom better get an OST, or at least a Sound Test to make it easy to rip music should they not want to release one.

They'll probably do the same thing they've done with Generations and Lost World; include it in a complete soundtrack set.

I still think it's mind blowing you can go right OR left.

Of course, how else are you supposed to progress without getting the morph ball first?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure Sonic grunted every time he did something in Generations. Or at least 90% of the time. I don't really notice it, let alone mind it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posting my thoughts from the preview:

That bit about the lower screen sounds like the frustration would REALLY build up while playing. Hope they can fix it soon, even if they have to sacrifice their map icon…

Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure Sonic grunted every time he did something in Generations. Or at least 90% of the time. I don't really notice it, let alone mind it.

The difference is, in games like Generations, Sonic made more subtle sounds like "Ha!" or "Go!" when he boosted. Here everyone sounds really constipated when they're boosting or defeating an enemy.

Guess who's back?

GUYS! RICHARD JACQUEEEESSS!

Sweeeeeeeeeeet<3 Love his style.

This is awesome, as I loved the soundtrack to Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn. I hope he does the soundtrack in his 3D Blast style as opposed to more modern games like All Stars Racing Transformed.

I'm happy we're getting a Veteran Sonic composer for this game.... but at the same time, I really hope Richard Jaques tries his hardest to bring his A game here. He didn't get much time to work on 3D Blast Saturn's soundtrack, so I understand why it's so bland for me, and with what little he worked on in Black Knight... those were some of the weakest tracks in the game. I love the dude's work in Sonic R and Generations, but Generations was just one remix palooza, and without TJ Davis, I could take or leave Sonic R's soundtrack.

It's real strange too, because I love the few tracks he composed for the very first Mass Effect, and the Jet Set Radio games. From what I've heard of Shattered Crystals's soundtrack so far, it sounds impressive and I could picture it being for a Sonic game. As long as it's a totally memorable score, then fine by me.

I'm happy we're getting a Veteran Sonic composer for this game.... but at the same time, I really hope Richard Jaques tries his hardest to bring his A game here. He didn't get much time to work on 3D Blast Saturn's soundtrack, so I understand why it's so bland for me,  

so bland for me.

so bland

tumblr_m8ewz9XfVq1qaiczy.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't really see how my Sonic music preferences are a problem XD. If you like 3D Blast Saturn's OST, then more power to you, it just isn't my thing.

It has its good share of decent songs, like Diamond Dust, Rusty Ruin, and Panic Puppet. I also happen to think Green Grove act 2 is a stellar piece of music. However, most of it just blends together for me, and it's not the sort of soundtrack I can hum off the top of my head.

But I digress. Going by what I've heard of the Stage themes, this could easily shape up to be one of the better Sonic soundtracks in years. I don't think it'll be all that hard to top Lost World's, but that's just me.

Ugh why do the characters grunt after EVERY action? It's so awful.

Yeeeeeaaaaaah. Remember this?

I'm sure that's just a simple fix that'll be done before release. Sanzaru did say they were all about iteration...