Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (3DS)

Blue Blood

tumblr_m8ewz9XfVq1qaiczy.png

Now, now. Much add I like him myself, Richard Jacques isn't quite spotless anyway. Sonic Chronicles comes to mind.

Now, now. Much add I like him myself, Richard Jacques isn't quite spotless anyway. Sonic Chronicles comes to mind.

And this what you should be thinking when it comes to Richard Jacques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxSMZ6WFnEM

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh don't worry, I certainly haven't lost sight of his dominantly prideful resume.

It shouldn't come to your mind at all. His contributions to Chronicles have never been made clear, and all signs have long pointed to Chronicles' soundtrack being replaced due to legal issues at the last minute and so the final game uses MIDIs taken from vgmusic.com instead. Check out his website and his résumé, which include big Hollywood films and numerous other games, before you tailor the thought that Chronicles is in any was indicative of his work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeeeeeaaaaaah. Remember this?

I'm sure that's just a simple fix that'll be done before release. Sanzaru did say they were all about iteration...

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

• Thumbs Up 1

I cant see the video from my phone but looks like metal sonic wont be the only one to show up in the 3ds version. http://www.gonintendo.com/s/231000-interview-with-sanzaru-games-on-sonic-boom-3ds-shadow-in-the-game

No, I already watched it, they said that they comment at this time whether Shadow or metal sonic will be ingame 

I wonder if the answer would've been a straight no to Shadow if the interviewer hadn't asked about Metal Sonic as well?  What's interesting is that the interviewer also thinks to ask about Eggman, who isn't confirmed to appear in Shattered Crystal - but again, the "no comment" answer makes it sound a lot like he will.  But of course, what we should probably have thought of is that Metal Sonic's presence implies that of Eggman...

What's also interesting is that it sounds like Shattered Crystal basically has Sun and Moon Medals - when you complete a level, you get a badge, you can get more badges for playing the levels with different characters, and badges unlock new stages.  There are also collectible coins which unlock something, but we're not allowed to find out what right now.

I'm really hoping that this has some length to it in comparison to past Sonic games on handhelds. I don't want to blow through the whole thing in just a few hours, I want the experience to last.

So I've been thinking about the recurring complaint about character-switching being clunky.  Apparently the bottom screen is used for three things: A map, a character select, and an options menu, and you switch between them with L and R and select characters with the stylus.  Could they surely not tie the options stuff to the Start button, and character switching to L and R, thus leaving the map as standard on the bottom screen, maybe with little tabs indicating character rotation order?  I think it was the Segabits preview which indicated that Sanzaru might be able to change this before release, and I hope they do.  The stylus in DS and 3DS games is only really comfortable in games where you're using it literally all the time; if it's just occasional, it simply gets in the way.

You don't need the stylus though, especially not for something as simple as pressing a single, large button on the screen. You'll be able to manage just fine using your finger. I suppose the reason that L/R are used to switch is because you'll be require to switch between the map and character select frequently and going into a menu to do that would be... Well, did you ever play the Water Temple on OoT N64?

Do people actually use their fingers on a 3DS screen?  It'd get covered in prints.  I'm forever swabbing dust of the thing already.  But regardless, on average my proposal results in the same or fewer button presses and thus is more efficient.

I'm very, very sure people do. If the game is fully or mostly touch controlled, then the stylus is pretty much necessary. But when it's just a quick button press here and there whipping out the stylus is just going to stagger the game and make the whole experience much less fluid than it should be. Boom is a game where you very much just tap the screen quickly and then keep going. Especially considering the type of touch screen Nintendo uses on all of their devices is easier still just to use the tip of your nail. It won't scratch the screen and will be more precise than just a finger tap.

I'm very sure they're been doing this for years, almost to the point now where they want to get a rise out of people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo Power's had a running joke about Tails being a "mutant squirrel" for years, but they're not in business anymore...

The squirrel gag is really weird to me, considering Tails is actually one of the few Sonic characters that looks like the animal he's based on. Or maybe that's the point, I don't know. 

3DS version continues to sound interesting on paper but I'm not really feeling it in the footage. The major concern about both of these games, for me, is that the Sonic elements are superficial and exist out of a sense of obligation, regardless of whether or not they really add anything or mesh well. Sonic games have always had a degree of exploration, but being like a Metroidvania game is almost worrying- like we're going to end up with something clumsy and unfocused. 

New hands-on from Ntower.de from a post-E3 Nintendo event in Frankfurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo09OJQIMZQ

(Google Translate)

Hands-On Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal

Sonic Boom SEGA has announced a brand that will act as a quasi Neuauferstehung. Starting from the character design to the market orientation SEGA wants to bring the Sonic brand in this kind of spin-off in a different light. Sonic Boom is therefore in the West start this year as a series on television and in particular inspire children and young people from the blue hedgehog. Apparently there is enough in this day and age no longer able to produce video games, you have to enter in the TV industry. In addition to the TV show, there will be two games coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. We had the opportunity to Sonic Boom at Nintendo in Frankfurt on the Post-E3-Event 2014: to play Shattered Crystal for the Nintendo 3DS. Whether the hedgehog is still on the road as fast as before?

The demo shown was kept very small. I was allowed to visit a dangerous jungle with Sonic and his companions in good old 2D style. Immediately striking: You have a team in front of you and hardly passages in the level in which you can run fast. The focus will be placed to explore the area closely and not just quickly move to the bottom. The four comrades Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and sticks by the way try to rediscover their individual skills the lost crystals. So Sonic can move with its typical homing attack targeted enemy out of the way and smash obstacles, such as destructible blocks, charged with energy. tails, however, flies with its tail air currents along. Knuckles who has taken clearly in Sonic Boom to many proteins to be, can dig through the earth, and the new female character sticks achieved, among other far-off switch with a boomerang. Therefore, in the demo I had to repeatedly change the characters in order to solve certain level portions. However, the worked in the demo shown seated right and I always had to select another character in order to use their ability to. The Jungle Level shown had indeed to offer extra features, such as the crossing of precipices, by sticking to certain anchor points holds, however, lacked the typical Sonic elements. Rather, I was just exploring the go, trying to fight my way through simple puzzles. It felt as if I was an action-adventure game like Skylanders play in 2D. Otherwise, the level design did not have so much to offer, which would justify a longer motivation for me. Let's hope that this is not the case with the other levels. Oh, wait: The typical Sonic level, there are also in Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, but these are separate. So I had given me a race with sticks and it immediately came to the old Sonic feel. However, the level was over far too quickly and I had the impression that not many will be comprised of these cool levels in the full version. Let's hope the best ... Otherwise was in the demo one more fight against a big Robo-worm exists, but which turned out to be very boring. That may sound harsh, but more as a stepping passages and Quick Time Events were not there. Although the graphics looked nice enough, but I was concerned about the level a lousy aftertaste.

The time was only enough for it to play the demo fast. And unfortunately, this short impression of Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal no good. Not only the content shown disappointed me all along the line, the control seemed very notchy and prevented a liquid flow of the game. While it could convince myself to a graphical level already, but it seems as if we only familiar SEGA food before standing here. Maybe is still taken several steps to fine-tuning in the full version. Author: Dennis Meppiel Thanks to Nintendo for the kind invitation to Frankfurt!

http://www.ntower.de/3DS/Angespielt/6709-Sonic-Boom-Shattered-Crystal/

Do people actually use their fingers on a 3DS screen?  It'd get covered in prints.  I'm forever swabbing dust of the thing already.  But regardless, on average my proposal results in the same or fewer button presses and thus is more efficient.

I usually use the tip of my index nail

posting the youtube link for easier access also its cobanermani456

It honestly upset me to here people hating on the WiiU version

The more I look at the level design, the more I'm reminded of Jett Rocket 2. Which... isn't that great, honestly. The physics might redeem it, though.

The speed thing this game has going for is honestly confusing me right now. Aside from the rival stages, the speed is clearly not what this game is designed around, and it just makes the option look like a clunky make-due SEGA asked for. Not to mention, speed is extremely shallow if not put in an interesting enough level design, or given a purpose, both of which the adventure stage forgot to do.

Yet when you look at the rival stages, the level design is almost entirely based on the usual Sonic fare, even including the classic philosophy of throwing the character into the air before making platforming decisions. Just more hold-right-to-win than normal.

How can they go so right in one area of the game, yet so wrong in the other? Pick a direction you want to go in, guys!

• Thumbs Up 2