Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (3DS)

Blue Blood

The more I look at the level design, the more I'm reminded of Jett Rocket 2. Which... isn't that great, honestly. The physics might redeem it, though.

The speed thing this game has going for is honestly confusing me right now. Aside from the rival stages, the speed is clearly not what this game is designed around, and it just makes the option look like a clunky make-due SEGA asked for. Not to mention, speed is extremely shallow if not put in an interesting enough level design, or given a purpose, both of which the adventure stage forgot to do.

Yet when you look at the rival stages, the level design is almost entirely based on the usual Sonic fare, even including the classic philosophy of throwing the character into the air before making platforming decisions. Just more hold-right-to-win than normal.

How can they go so right in one area of the game, yet so wrong in the other? Pick a direction you want to go in, guys!

Your honestly confusing me. How can you defend Rise Of Lyric when people say they want more speed levels that want it seems to currently have then here you complain that the game doesnt have enough speed in the levels other than the rival and tube stages when this game like Rise of Lyric is trying something different with it's Metroidvania esque style adventure stage. That honestly seems unfair.

Your honestly confusing me. How can you defend Rise Of Lyric when people say they want more speed levels that want it seems to currently have then here you complain that the game doesnt have enough speed in the levels other than the rival and tube stages when this game like Rise of Lyric is trying something different with it's Metroidvania esque style adventure stage. That honestly seems unfair.

??? I defend Rise of Lyric because it's speed always matches it's level design, and is sectioned off into appropriate areas, giving them purpose and fitting level design. Also because it makes the level progression feel like a adventure narrative.

I don't defend SC's speed because, well, it doesn't.

Either you pick a speed or you don't. You can't just throw high speeds into blocky platforming and expect amazing results. What if SatSR's speed break was in Sonic Colors? Or Burnout's high speeds in Mario Kart?

I don't see how this is an unfair assertion.

??? I defend Rise of Lyric because it's speed always matches it's level design, and is sectioned off into appropriate areas, giving them purpose and fitting level design. Also because it makes the level progression feel like a adventure narrative.

I don't defend SC's speed because, well, it doesn't.

Either you pick a speed or you don't. You can't just throw high speeds into blocky platforming and expect amazing results. What if SatSR's speed break was in Sonic Colors? Or Burnout's high speeds in Mario Kart?

I don't see how this is an unfair assertion.

What purpose? There speed.sections of transition levels with 0 enemies or major hazards and the little chase segment was your standard Sonic automatically runs just move left of right to dodge. And for the count I'll inclde the tube stage form the 3ds version as part of my latter respinse.

Why oh why does the 3DS game actually look better and more fun to play than the Wii U version? It should be the other way round ffs! D: Not to mention it's getting a lot more positive previews. I think I might pick this one up day one over the other version for sure.

Why oh why does the 3DS game actually look better and more fun to play than the Wii U version? It should be the other way round ffs! D: Not to mention it's getting a lot more positive previews. I think I might pick this one up day one over the other version for sure.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the other way around. It's just that the 3DS version is taking a better direction. I can actually look at this game and say "Oh yeah this definitely looks like the Sonic I know" at least.

What purpose? There speed.sections of transition levels with 0 enemies or major hazards and the little chase segment was your standard Sonic automatically runs just move left of right to dodge. And for the count I'll inclde the tube stage form the 3ds version as part of my latter respinse.

Well, one, they're cinematic, which already gives them the purpose of spectacle. Secondly, the level design would only be able to be scaled through running, which gives the level design purpose and appropriation. That's already twice as much purpose than what the speed in the 3DS's normal stages offers you, plus there's the promise that the levels will be like literal cutscenes at some point, and play an important part in the story. And I don't think I have to comment on the chase section, as Steven has already covered why that section is like that.

Purpose isn't my main complaint, though, just level design appropriation. The second speed is there, but that's it. No level design changes, nothing. Only sections it fits are the autorun straightaway sections.

I really think that Sonic's speed should be with him at all times, because it's not a separate entity to Sonic. In the Wii U version, I see no reason why Sonic can't zip around the regular levels, and I don't understand why he has to jog. It just takes away what makes Sonic so special, to the point where you may as well play as someone else. Point is, restricting his speed to speed levels feels wrong to me. In LEGO Batman 3, Flash can zip around levels really quickly but it doesn't break the game. You still need to do puzzles to progress anyway, but it's really nice to still have the character's trademark ability there to make it feel more authentic to that character. Otherwise, what makes that character...well...that character? This is really something that doesn't make sense to me about Rise Of Lyric.

I am really happy that Sanzaru kept Sonic's speed in at all times though, and you can choose to go fast or slow. I think the level design also looks more interesting and the game in general is apparently more polished. It's overall been more positively received, with only some negative to mixed impressions.

Shattered Crystal looks LEAGUES ahead of the Wii U version as far as "fun" goes. The level design looks rather top notch and like Cobi said in his video, it's great to have different characters with unique attributes to choose from. It's just...extremely disappointing to see Rise of Lyric not getting the same amount of polish.

I really think that Sonic's speed should be with him at all times, because it's not a separate entity to Sonic. In the Wii U version, I see no reason why Sonic can't zip around the regular levels, and I don't understand why he has to jog. It just takes away what makes Sonic so special, to the point where you may as well play as someone else.

I think that's one of the points: So that you can play as someone else without any repercussions. It is a co-op game, after all. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have the player playing as flash to get all the coins before you could even have a chance to walk towards them, for example.

But that's just me bringing up excuses. I just don't take the "skip everything the game gives you as fast as possible" mentality as seriously, I guess.

I think that's one of the points: So that you can play as someone else without any repercussions. It is a co-op game, after all. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have the player playing as flash to get all the coins before you could even have a chance to walk towards them, for example.

But that's just me bringing up excuses. I just don't take the "skip everything the game gives you as fast as possible" mentality as seriously, I guess.

I didn't meant to skip the levels or anything. The level design looks like it could accommodate Sonic's speed while not being able to take advantage of it to skip parts of the levels.

Well, one, they're cinematic, which already gives them the purpose of spectacle. Secondly, the level design would only be able to be scaled through running, which gives the level design purpose and appropriation. That's already twice as much purpose than what the speed in the 3DS's normal stages offers you, plus there's the promise that the levels will be like literal cutscenes at some point, and play an important part in the story. And I don't think I have to comment on the chase section, as Steven has already covered why that section is like that.

Purpose isn't my main complaint, though, just level design appropriation. The second speed is there, but that's it. No level design changes, nothing. Only sections it fits are the autorun straightaway sections.

Well then you can stand by your opinion and I stand by mine. I see an entertaining game here and many other see the same.

I didn't meant to skip the levels or anything. The level design looks like it could accommodate Sonic's speed while not being able to take advantage of it to skip parts of the levels.

Well I didn't mean it in a glitch-through-the-level way, I meant skipping the level on a faster speed altogether. Speed is meant to skip, right? It's the entire point of the Sonic franchise's level design, and is the basis for racing in general. Wouldn't this apply to RoL, as well?

Though honestly, if you see level design that absolutely needs Sonic's speed in order to be less bland, then you're probably looking at bad level design altogether.

Well then you can stand by your opinion and I stand by mine. I see an entertaining game here and many other see the same.

Edit: Nevermind.

I still think the game will be entertaining, though. Just less so than I had hoped.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason people are liking the 3DS version better are because it stays safer and more "Sonic as know it". Nobody likes change in the game industry for some reason, that's why Mario and Call of Duty get such good reviews. I'm not saying the Wii U version is perfect, god no, but it still looks really fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason people are liking the 3DS version better are because it stays safer and more "Sonic as know it". Nobody likes change in the game industry for some reason, that's why Mario and Call of Duty get such good reviews. I'm not saying the Wii U version is perfect, god no, but it still looks really fun.

I'm fine with change. Hell, I loved Lost World. Moreso than Colours.

Likewise, I love the new designs and the world created by Boom's devs.

But y'know what?

The game looks fucking terrible, in my opinion. There is not one dead-set reason people don't like the game. For me, I think the gameplay looks bland and repetitive, with automated to all hell speed sections.

Change is a non-issue. I survived change from Adventure to Unleashed, and again to Lost World.

Now how about you quit wading into this stuff trying to place one reason on why people don't like the game? 

On the topic of nobody liking change, look at Splatoon. A big shake-up to the shooter genre, everyone I've seen loves the look of it.

Stop acting like you have the answers to why people may not like the game. It's subjective.

Anyway.

Thoughts on 3DS version since I haven't mentioned it much yet - I much prefer the look of it. Metroidvania Sonic could be interesting, and Super Metroid's in my top 5 games of all time so combining that with my favourite game series should be promising. 

Not too miffed about Amy, since we at least have Sticks.

So yeah. Better than the Wii U one by a long shot IMO.

• Thumbs Up 9

I have absolutely no issue with change.

Unless the changes made a just bad. If they could make RoL more fun and engaging I'd bite. Unfortunately RoL looks and sound like neither of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am perfectly fine with change in an established franchise...as long as it's done well. I REALLY like the new Boom designs and I wasn't part of the group who started having strokes due to the intense shock of seeing their beloved Sonic and co. with a new design. I however don't like RoL's change, at all. I've seen tons of this game and I just can't get into it whatsoever. It's flippin' slow, monotonous with its combat, lacks flow...flippin' Super Mario 3D World looks faster than the Adventure sections of this game, and the speed sections look like a slightly more complicated Sonic Dash. Sonic Unleashed was linear but this is something else.

The game "looking really fun" is subjective. Some people will love it and some people will hate the living crap out of it. If you love it, more power to you and if you hate it, then more power to you as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nobody likes change in the game industry for some reason.

Stop right there. People need to stop with this fucking fallacy already.

One of the most highly acclaimed Mario games of all time had almost nothing to do with Mario. It was a change people liked. (Mario 64)

One of most highly acclaimed Tales of games of all time played nothing like a Tales of game. (Tales of Graces F)

The Sonic game that made people start to think he was good again had relations to Sonic gameplay that were about as deep as a kiddie pool. (Sonic Colors and Generations)

Change is not inherently hated as long as the change isn't arbitrary.

• Thumbs Up 4

In my book, change is only bad if the said changes are actually bad. In the case of Rise Of Lyric, the changes are arbitrary in my opinion. Of course, others might see it a different way, but the series is about a super fast hedgehog and it should always remain that way. Change the gameplay up, sure, but always stay true to who and what Sonic is. To me, this is what Sanzaru is doing with Shattered Crystal. They know that Sonic's speed needs to remain but they realise that they need to do something different to make it different to past games. Even Lost World did it, and while it fell a bit flat on it's face in areas, it still did something different while remaining a Sonic game (though some people will beg to differ over that last part).

Yes, RoL does have speed, but its relegated to certain sections and I think that it's not only a poor design choice, but nonsensical. By the looks of things, you can only jog in the hub worlds (there was a bit of hubworld just before the speed level and the quarry level) and I don't think that's particularly great either.

Change is good, but only if the changes are actually good.  

Personally I'm looking forward to the Boom games. As for Amy not being playable in the 3DS version. I'm fine with that, she's still playable in the Wii-U version and we still have Sticks in the 3DS version, considering Sticks is the new character, it's only fair she be playable in at least one of the games.

Am i the only person who thinks this was a rejected 3rd game in the Pokemon Gen 2 remakes?

Heart Gold
Soul Silver
Shattered Crystal?

anyone....? no...? okay *retreats back into hole*

Am i the only person who thinks this was a rejected 3rd game in the Pokemon Gen 2 remakes?

Heart Gold

Soul Silver

Shattered Crystal?

anyone....? no...? okay *retreats back into hole*

Congrats you just made me have the biggest wtf moment until I caught on what you said

Honestly so far I only have 3 problems with this game,

1. Tails cannot fly alone. He needs to use whirlwinds.

2. Amy is not playable. I'm not a big fan of hers but she's a constant in this franchise so it would've been nice if she was playable.

3. We have not seem any cutscenes for this game. I know that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any but the fact that we've had some Wii U cutscenes and no 3DS cutscenes tells me that there's a strong possibility that I'll be looking at a static text box. Lost World showed that the 3DS is perfectly capable of handling cutscenes so they have no excuse for this game.

Honestly so far I only have 3 problems with this game,

1. Tails cannot fly alone. He needs to use whirlwinds.

2. Amy is not playable. I'm not a big fan of hers but she's a constant in this franchise so it would've been nice if she was playable.

3. We have not seem any cutscenes for this game. I know that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any but the fact that we've had some Wii U cutscenes and no 3DS cutscenes tells me that there's a strong possibility that I'll be looking at a static text box. Lost World showed that the 3DS is perfectly capable of handling cutscenes so they have no excuse for this game.

Tails could hardly fly in Heroes and didn't fly at all im Adventure. 2

Tails could hardly fly in Heroes and didn't fly at all im Adventure. 2

Yes but he can fly in most of the other games. Not to mention that in this game he's not carrying anyone and he's not in a mech.