Awoo.

Power Rankings: Your Top 10 Sonic moments

GOAT

So, this question popped into my head the other day. Been kind of toying with it ever since. I was trying to think of my personal favorite/top moments of Sonic. It can be in any context, so basically it can be a moment from the Archie comics, the games, the shows, the music, or any other merchandise on the Blue Blur. It can even be memorable experiences with anything Sonic related.

I'll start this. Here are my personal power rankings. (Also you can list less or more than 10 and you don't have to have them in order)

Here we go...

IceCreamSonic1.jpgB000EMK48W_1-181_gushers.jpg3SonicPastas.jpg

Sonic related "food" that I have consumed over the years.

This may not be a "moment" in Sonic fandom, but I have so many memories eating different Sonic foods. Yeah I know the ice cream looks really derpy, but my God when I heard the ice cream man coming there was no question I was buying some. Sonic Spaghettios were amazing, even if they were just the same as regular Spaghettios. Does anyone remember the Sonic gum? It came in a package that looked like a Sega game gear, with squares of gum that looked like the game logos. It even came with trading  cards that I still have. Also, not sure if anyone else thinks this, but I still think gushers look like mini Chaos emeralds.

This is still one of my favorite scenes ever. Tails is too adorable in it.

200px-SonictheHedgehog48Archie.jpg

Although this might be minor to most of you, the endgame series of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog really caught my eye as a kid. It was a 4 part series where Sonic was framed as the one who murdered Princess Sally. (Won't go into much more for spoiler reasons) I thought this was the craziest sh*t at the time; No way Sonic could have ever done something like this. The stories in these comics left a major mark on my fandom, especially these issues.

Sonic-CD_1334115_thumb.jpg

Sonic vs. Metal Sonic and all that Sonic CD brought to the table.

I might be a bit biased here, since it was the first actual pc game that I ever owned but I don't care. And honestly, the music speaks for itself (for both soundtracks) The idea that Sonic had to face "himself" as a robot, really grinded my gears as a little guy. It especially got me thinking after I watched a video about the theory on Metal Sonic. From the opening video to the race against Metal Sonic, this game and concept brought my fandom to a new level. 

220px-Sonic3%26KnucklesCart.jpg

This F*cking cartridge combo right hurr!

I mean, when I was a kid growing up in the 90's and these games came out, I was in shock to say the least. Don't get me wrong, the Sonic games prior to these were fantastic but, this was on another level. Sonic 3 was amazing, and when S&K came out, I lost my sh*t. Especially when I found out you could connect the two games. Nostalgia overload here.

super_character.jpg

This Super Sonic scene was a defining moment for my love of Sonic once again. I was a big Sonic fan before this moment, but this solidified my love for the video games that much more. Perfect Chaos man, I thought that wasn't even possible. After Sonic went Super by using the positive energy, it was all over for me. I re-fell in love with this franchise and the badass look of Super Sonic. (Also notice this pic is from the original Sonic Adventure..so classic)

071010sonicbrawl.jpg

Sonic becoming playable in Smash. I'm sure like a lot of you like I did, cried tears of joy when you found out you'd be able to play Sonic in Brawl. To this day, I still pick Sonic when I play this game. Always have and I always will.

sonic_generations_by_pooterman-d4fabt4.p

Sonic Generations!

This was a treat for all of us hardcore Sonic fans. It kept both sides of the fanbase happy while sporting a relatively solid engine for both 3D and 2D Sonic. The music was phenomenal and every level made you nostalgia beyond belief. The story was pretty decent (compared to other recent Sonic titles) and it had a sort of unique mystique feeling when playing it. While the classic Sonics and SA1/SA2 are still my favorite games of the franchise, this game might be the most well-done, polished Sonic game to date in my opinion.

Doomsday.png

Two words: Doomsday Zone.

lostworld_shot3.jpg

This single picture revived my obsession over Sonic the Hedgehog.

I remember seeing it in a mini brochure that we used to read every week in my 4th grade class. The last Sonic game I had played was 3D blast, and even as a young kid I understood how bad the 3D actually was compared to games like Mario 64 at the time. But this single screenshot restored my faith in 3D Sonic and I got a dreamcast that following Christmas. SA went on to become my "dream" game growing up.

I've never actually tried the gumball eyes Sonic ice cream. Nor have I consumed any Sonic related foods.

I'm not going to do all ten favourites, simply because I can't decide what's better than another thing, but I will mention a few. I think booting up Sonic a Heroes for the first time was really exciting when I was younger, andy when I booted it up again when I was older it was really nostalgic.

Sonic Generations was another. I played the demo a couple of months before the game released, and it got me back into Sonic. I really loved the game when I bought it, it's still one if the most solid Sonic games out there in my book.

I bantered on about this in the 30 Days Of Video Games thread, but Sonic has some really brilliant moments in Unleashed. Especially that badass CG opening.

10. Getting Sonic & Knuckles on the Mega Drive a few days earlier than the release date (slipped the store owner a little extra $)

9. Sonics appearance in Soleil on the Mega Drive, a video game magazine showed a screenshot on Sonic on a beach level, I wasn't sure if he played a major role in the game or not, but I bought it (and hey, the game wasn't bad)

8. Had a sleep over at a friends place, 3 of us were up all night taking turns playing Sonic and Tails.. We managed to get the last chaos emerald at the last star post in the game.. so imagine our faces when we saw Super Sonic for the first time ever during the ending (after spending what must've been 20+ lives on Silver Sonic & the final boss)

7. 1/4 Issue of the Archie series.. Family and I used to head to the mall on a Friday night, brothers and I would spend our free time at the news agent reading comics and gaming magazines.. One night we spotted a paper thin copy of a Sonic comic that was taken out of a video game magazine bundle. I wanted it so badly the my big brother rolled it up in a 50c newspaper, bought it and gave it to me. My first ever Sonic comic and have been buying them ever since

6. Sonic Bubble gum figure, the ones that held candy.. Long story short I considered it my first Sonic action figure and spent many hours playing with it

5. Sega world Sydney, finally managed to travel from Melbourne to see it and was stoked! The massive 7ft statues up the front were breathtaking .. Inside was a dream .. Just wish I had bought more merch during my 3 separate visits

4. Sonic Adventure opening. During one of my trips to Sydney (early 1999) I was lucky enough to stumble across an import game store that had a full JP version demo running, while I didn't get to play my jaw dropped on how awesome the game looked. A few months later local EB stores started showing off the PAL version.. I remember freezing up as the intro played and aftèr it ended I either swore loudly in excitement or jumped several meters into the air. I stayed for at least an hour watching it over and over again.

3. I was fortunate enough to get to play and experience both Sonic the Fighters and CosmoFighter in near by cities surrounding Melbourne

2. Sonic Boom 2011/Comic-Con 2012. It was an honor and privilege to join other fans in celebrating Sonic's 20th in LA.. but personally meeting Yuji Naka was something I was not anticipating.. Holy cow. A year later in San Diego who do I run into inside the convention center during SDCC but none other than Jun Senoue and Takashi Iizuka , graciously being shown around by Aaron Webber.

1. Sonic CD opening. It was Kmart, shortly after the Mega CD was released .. and what was playing on a store display TV? Sonic CD. I had never seen Sonic in such an animated way before.. running around, spinning through falling boulders.. I turned the TV up and heard about 10 seconds of Toot Toot Sonic Warrior before being told by the store to turn it down.. but the 10 seconds I heard played in a loop in my head for the following 2 weeks.

Edit : crap, forgot his Brawl announcement, I cried

• Thumbs Up 1