Awoo.

RUMOUR: Next Sonic Game Allegedly has a working prototype - "Another new gameplay style? But we just got one...no...two!"

Willsy

http://bit.ly/1hXMuno

Maybe Sonic Boom isn’t your thing. If not, don’t worry–there’s always the game after. And it’s pretty clear there will be a main Sonic that follows Boom if a knowledgeable community tech member is to be believed.

Endri, who occasionally posts on the Sonic Retro forums, turned up today on that website’s Sonic Boom thread to there is, indeed, another title coming after Boom. We could have guessed that much, but we couldn’t guess the format, and if you’re looking for a callback to Generations, Endri’s words, left in response to another forumer’s prediction the next Sonic would be in the vein of Sonic Lost World, may leave you disappointed:

In fact, it surprisingly isn’t. Now that you mentioned this, I must say that they already have working prototypes. I’ve seen it: it is not [Lost World] 2 and neither it follows the Generations formula. MSFT devs are quite often in contact with them in order to aid them in the process of porting/implementing subsystems with Xbox One-exclusive implementations—subsystems which are platform dependant [sic]—and this is mainly because the Durango’s Japanese documentation sucks.

But I’m afraid this is as much as I’m allowed to mention at this given time.

We would normally not give remarks like this attention except for the fact Endri’s profile on Retro notes he is, by profession, a game developer and coder–meaning he likely has the tools and access to know what he’s talking about.

That begs the question: Assuming this is accurate, what Sonic are you looking forward to most: Boom, or the apparent new formatted Sonic that follows it? Tell us below in the comments. Thanks to TheSonicGamer201x for tipping us on Twitter. If you can clarify some of the above details, please send us a news tip.

Now I know TSSZ aren't the most trustworthy, but they do actually have a source this time that's somewhat reliable. If true, it seems we are getting niether formulas back, but rather (another) new one. And more interestingly, the way it's worded makes it sound like an Xbox One exclusive, though I could be wrong on that one. Very interesting though...
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope it's true. SLW was a huge disappointment. I'd rather see something else than a continuation of SLW.

There's not really anything to discuss at the moment. Endri is a reliable source, but all we're really hearing here is "there is a new Sonic game in development". I could have told you that much. No details this early on, especially as vague as those written above, can really count for anything.

• Thumbs Up 5

I will be so pissed if this is actually true and they already decided to completley give up on SLW's formula like wow no.

I think it's a bit disheartening, but I'm interested in seeing whatever they've come up with, if this happens to be true.

At the same time, I really wish they'd focus on polishing what they've got instead of changing things up again. That worries me more than anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will be so pissed if this is actually true and they already decided to completley give up on SLW's formula like wow no.

You're surprised? When has Sonic Team ever not dropped a mechanic people hate after one game?

Big's Fishing

Shadow's Guns 'n' Vehicles

Secret RIngs' Motion Controlled Auto-Running

Werehog

Lost World's Parkour is gonna sit on that shelf right next to them soon as the next game rolls around.

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath for a second.

• Thumbs Up 4

Shocked...

Though if it ends up being an X1 exclusive then sega really has lost it.

Also exclusive features might be Kinect, which in that case wouldn't mean exclusive title.

This doesn't sound all that surprising to me, honestly, ditching Lost World's formula so soon. I mean yeah, it's a bold move, but since Sonic Team is getting more time to develop their next title, I wonder if they're considering it a clean slate of sorts, from a gameplay style.

I'm not gonna lie that I'm kinda shocked they aren't going back to the Boost though, if this is to be believed. 

Shocked...

Though if it ends up being an X1 exclusive then sega really has lost it.

Also exclusive features might be Kinect, which in that case wouldn't mean exclusive title.

Why the hell would they make it an Xbox One exclusive? As far as I know, every 3D Sonic game in recent years has either been available for all home platforms, HD exclusive (360 and PS3), or Nintendo-exclusive.

...Hey SEGA, I have an idea. Instead of just shoving a gameplay style under the rug, why don't you just polish and refine it so that it plays better? Honestly, I think if Lost World's parkour system was faster and more fluid, it could have been pretty dang good. Hopefully this is just a mere rumor. But if this is indeed true, why must they change things up again?

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm thinking that it's referring more to how there are problems going on with implementing subsystems on the Xbone version because of the lacking Japanese documentation.

It doesn't confirm it's an Xbone exclusive, but it's a confirmation that it'll at least hit the platform.

...Hey SEGA, I have an idea. Instead of just shoving a gameplay style under the rug, why don't you just polish and refine it so that it plays better? Honestly, I think if Lost World's parkour system was faster and more fluid, it could have been pretty dang good. Hopefully this is just a mere rumor. But if this is indeed true, why must they change things up again?

It's how they work.

*tries new gameplay style*

*said style is received horribly*

"oh crap oh crap they didn't like it oh man we can't risk another sonic 06 uhhhh somebody quick think of something hurry hurry hurry"

And another new gameplay style is created. If people like it, only then will it be refined.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Dimensions. Believe.

Though I can't say I'm happy if Sonic Team dumps the Lost World formula. Ditching the Wisps, sure, but the engine in Lost Worlds seemed servicable and could stand some refinement in anoher game. It worked. We had full control of Sonic again, and the engine, with some tweaking, could probably have even facilitated other characters.

If this is true though, it may not be the worst thing since they're (allegedly) not going back to the Generations style either, at least.

It's funny that this rumor shows up the day after we see some gameplay of Boom.

We know that another Sonic game is in development but as always I'll wait until SEGA announce it. 

I can't say I mind the idea of them changing the gameplay again. SLoW had some ideas I liked, but overall it wasn't the right direction, and I'm no fan of the boost gameplay either. Of course, what ultimately matters is whether the game is good or not, and at this point, we can't even begin to speculate.

• Thumbs Up 3

It'd better be freakin' Sonic 3D Blast 2.

SERIOUS TALK NOW, I can't wait to see what they have planned!

If you bothered to read the article, there is a source and it's from within the community. A source who has, in the past, been reliable. So yeah.

What, "TheSonicGamer201x"? Not really.

Endri is a respected member of Sonic Retro and by extension the rest of the community, including here.

He is a playtester and has given us reliable information in the past, particularly in regards to Sonic 4. 

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2010/02/sonic-4-playtested-by-community-member-impressions-inside/

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/02/19/alleged-sonic-4-playtester-may-dump-game-for-community/

http://info.sonicretro.org/Endri

So please, kindly look into these details before you go flinging your mouth off like that. It's rather insulting.

• Thumbs Up 9

Erm... That's not the source of the information.

Even with an inside source from a well-known and respected member of the community, I'm still not about to instantly believe this.is true.

And let's say it does turn out to be true. Unless new information is revealed, like Blue Blood said, there's really nothing to talk about beyond speculation of what the new gameplay style is and me going "Huh, I guess Endri was telling the truth after all".

It's not that surprising anyway if there are one or two prototypes being tested internally, such things were hinted at just prior to Lost Worlds reveal and theres that Boom information which suggests that Boom was at one point gonna look/be very different.

• Thumbs Up 1