Awoo.

RUMOUR: Next Sonic Game Allegedly has a working prototype - "Another new gameplay style? But we just got one...no...two!"

Willsy

I'm actually amazed he was allowed to mention any details at all, however scant they are. Then again if I recall, Scarred Sun was also on the record for saying an upcoming game wasn't the standard boost formula. So it seems there's leeway in saying what something isn't, but not what it is.

That he mentioned Microsoft, however, indicates a likely return to multiplatform... which is really hilarious when there was such a concentrated effort to deny multiplatform Sonic in 2015. Even though it was kind of a given since the Nintendo deal would be over by then.

Place your bets.

How much do you think they will try to do it all over again with a new gameplay style before moving onto another new gameplay style the game afterwards?

That's not much of a fair bet.

This doesn't sound all that surprising to me, honestly, ditching Lost World's formula so soon. I mean yeah, it's a bold move, but since Sonic Team is getting more time to develop their next title, I wonder if they're considering it a clean slate of sorts, from a gameplay style.

I'm not gonna lie that I'm kinda shocked they aren't going back to the Boost though, if this is to be believed. 

You knowww I didn't think about like this at all....isn't this game pretty much getting 4+ years of development time by the time it comes out late 2015?

For clarification later on, can someone please tell me how long this game supposedly has been in development? 

You knowww I didn't think about like this at all....isn't this game pretty much getting 4+ years of development time by the time it comes out late 2015?

Good question. Didn't the Sonic Colors team work on Lost World, while both teams formed together to do Generations?

It's really something to ponder, as Sonic Team splitting their staff to work on different games makes me wonder what they're cooking up right now.

Yeah judging by the credits it was part of Colours Team. Not even the whole team, only part of it by the looks of things.

Then again if I recall, Scarred Sun was also on the record for saying an upcoming game wasn't the standard boost formula.

Hold on, when and where did she say that? And if she said it, wouldn't that just be Sonic Boom or even Sonic Lost World?

Hold on, when and where did she say that? And if she said it, wouldn't that just be Sonic Boom or even Sonic Lost World?

Somewhere on this forum, probably the 2013 Plans thread. It may have been Retro itself, but I'm fairly certain it was here.

I believe it was about Lost World. She simply said you were wrong if you thought the boost formula was the basis again. Naturally, no further comments after that. :P

Somewhere on this forum, probably the 2013 Plans thread. It may have been Retro itself, but I'm fairly certain it was here.

I believe it was about Lost World. She simply said you were wrong if you thought the boost formula was the basis again. Naturally, no further comments after that. tongue.png

Uhr, yeah, then she was probably talking about Sonic Lost World. :X

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega just decided to go wild with the Nintendo exclusivity and make a 'test game' to see what worked and what didn't for the bigger releases?

I mean, think about how many crazy out there things Lost World did that not only differed from before (from the art style to the gameplay to the level design and the crossover DLC), and how it (in it's regular form) has been dropped in the new game. Heck, remember it was a new style not introduced by the main division of Sonic Team, even, just the Colors team (or something close).

Also, "not being a Lost World 2" doesn't mean they dropped parkour or the Spin Dash. It could mean they dropped the run trigger, the level design, the planetoids and all of that. Those were the most stand out traits to Lost World that without it would not make it a sequel anyways. Whether they kept spindashing and parkour or not is all up in the air (and if they did that while removing the rest, I'd have to give them props; good call Sega).

I wonder if they are abandoning the Wisps after Lost Worlds reception? I mean, they did feel very tacked on as though they were there for the sake of being there.

• Thumbs Up 5

They said they wanted to make them a series staple, so I doubt it.

Even though they feel rather alien (snerk) to the franchise to me and I'd rather they be replaced with more general power ups. Maybe I'm just nitpicking because Colors had them fly off into the sunset, so it's weird for them to just be back.

I dunno. Have Sonic pick up minor doses of Chaos Energy or something that have the same effects. 8P

yes, i´m not seeing reasons for a return of the wisps, only if there been a sonic colors 2 or something like mother wisp from colors DS coming to ask for help because of a threat to all wisps and etc etc etc

I'd much rather them come up with new power-ups. Less gimmicky ones, anyway.

Or at least give Sonic's friends the option of using the Wisps. (Not that I could even come up with an idea as to what they could do with them that Sonic couldn't.)

Give Tails a laser gun that changes its shots depending on the Wisp.

Not that I'd want to see that specifically, but there's an idea for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even though they feel rather alien (snerk) to the franchise to me and I'd rather they be replaced with more general power ups. Maybe I'm just nitpicking because Colors had them fly off into the sunset, so it's weird for them to just be back.

I dunno. Have Sonic pick up minor doses of Chaos Energy or something that have the same effects. 8P

Really, this is my gripe. They want to keep the power ups? Fine, go for it. But they can replace the models to something that wasn't a big plot element like cute aliens.

Just some a rocket logo on a monitor for the rocket wisp. Or a symbol of spikes for spikes.

• Thumbs Up 2

They said that, yes, but I wouldn't put it past Sega to remove them following the backlash they received from Lost World's Wisp controls.

• Thumbs Up 4

Really, this is my gripe. They want to keep the power ups? Fine, go for it. But they can replace the models to something that wasn't a big plot element like cute aliens.

Just some a rocket logo on a monitor for the rocket wisp. Or a symbol of spikes for spikes.

Or at least give an in-universe explanation for their continued presence.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gotta be honest that I would be kind of sad if they ditch the Lost World gameplay less because of the fact that it only had one game but more because of the fact that I didn't see many reviews that singled out the positive and negative and more just on the fact that it was slower than before (which if you practice the stages enough you can blaze through them pretty well but I digress) and honestly it would really suck if we just moved on to something else without at least giving it one more shot but this time focused more on the gameplay mechanics cause as sad as it is to admit, the parkour was really underused in lost world and I could really see it being used for some great things in the future.

I just hope that the next gameplay style incorporates just a little of SLW's instead of just dumping it altogether (if this rumor turns out to be true of course).

Or at least give an in-universe explanation for their continued presence.

That was actually the main reason I defended the Wisps in Lost World. I was assuming they'd give an explanation for why we still have them around, but since they didn't this just makes me all the more cynical of how Sonic Team handles their lore of the series.

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly, I don't know how much explanation there needs to be. Can't we just say, "some stayed", and leave it at that?

• Thumbs Up 3

I know I'm late to the party on this, but I think I should get this off my chest.

If you're not gonna explain why the Wisp are back in the story, then why the fuck would you even bother with it in the first place? Just gives us the traditional power-ups instead! Hell, make new power-ups that found in a box! If Sonic Team is trying to make them a staple to the series, then just explain the reasoning of their return instead of having them be there for the sake of being there, which was extremely apparent in Sonic Lost World. As for the Mario Galaxy thing... Look... the game might obviously have some things that seem "Mario," it still plays like a Sonic game. That, and the game was developed during the time of the SEGA/Nintendo partnership makes the inspiration thing more apparent. The same bullshit happened with Sonic Colors with this issue. Despite the fact the game played absolutely nothing like Super Mario Galaxy, people kept loudly calling it a Mario Galaxy ripoff all because it took place in space.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega just decided to go wild with the Nintendo exclusivity and make a 'test game' to see what worked and what didn't for the bigger releases?

This is my guess for Lost World, yes.  Although technically a main game, it was developed with a spin-off mentality like many of the Nintendo-exclusive games - Secret Rings, for instance, and the Wisps in Colours.  It wasn't necessarily intended to be the defining new gameplay style for the series, just something they were trying out to help give the game an identity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never understood why the Wisps were brought back in SLW. Not only was there no explanation given to why they were back and why they were hanging around Lost Hex of all places, but some of them controlled like shit (though thankfully this was changed in the update).

I won't like it very much if they do become a staple of the series, because I don't see any point to them being there and I'd much rather they just replace them with regular ol power ups like shields and stuff. I don't want to awkwardly controlled Music Wisp in the next Sonic game!

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, I don't know how much explanation there needs to be. Can't we just say, "some stayed", and leave it at that?

If the narrative made note of it, yes. Which is the whole point people are making about their presence. 

I'd rather it not leave us asking questions that it won't bother answering at all for things like this, regardless of how simple it is. And it should also be noted that the wisps aren't the only problem as far as explanations are concerned.

• Thumbs Up 6