Awoo.

RUMOUR: Next Sonic Game Allegedly has a working prototype - "Another new gameplay style? But we just got one...no...two!"

Willsy

While I'm not really bothered by them not being explained, if they are as unfun to use as in Lost World, I'd rather not see them again. I'd rather have simpler power-ups that give Sonic extra moves like the shields did. Though, I guess their powers have all become part of Sonic's normal moveset nowadays. I also don't want to have to use them.

I also don't want to have to use them.

And that's another thing I don't like about the Wisps, especially the ones in SLW. There are moments in the game where you HAVE to use Music (the worst one of all no less!) or you HAVE to use Drill in order to progress in the stage. It's so annoying and breaks the main gameplay with useless Wisp gimmicks. Doesn't help that unlike Sonic Colours, the Wisps were annoying to control and most of the newer ones were just pointless.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's make a checklist of all the experimental things Lost World did.

- added a run button

- added a form of parkour mechanics

- reimplemented Spindash (though redesigned)

- added a kick homing attack move

- reimplemented the bounce attack (though redesigned)

- continued using Wisps that all required some form of gamepad usage

- gave us Mario Galaxy esque planetoid level design

- level layouts became very flat and slower paced

- every zone has at least one act with a really strange gimmick

- heavy focus on combat with hoardes of enemies

- introduced a temporary Wisp / item storing box system

- collectibles such as Flickies found in capsules all around stages that are required for progress

- a new, simpler and more saturated and geometric art style

- classic badnik designs

- a story starring new villains

- does the whole "hero and villain unite" thing

There's probably even more than that.

Lost World was experimenting in every little which way and completely changed everything that they were making consistency of for three games in a row. While we wouldn't put it past them for them to drop everything on the bat like that, Unleashed was a gameplay change that borrowed and evolved from others (specifically Sonic Adventure and Sonic Rush), while a lot of Lost World's stuff comes right out of nowhere and does certain things for really strange reasons.

For them to release an awfully Nintendo-y game with all these weird ideas as a Nintendo console exclusive that features Nintendo-based crossover DLC, it really just feels like SLW was one big party day in the studio. The way we described SLW in all of our reviews as "the one game where Sega just threw things at the wall and hoped they would stick" may have been true, going by how apparently the new game is no Lost World 2.

But yeah, we'll see in due time. Probably after Boom's games have been released, so they don't have to focus on the Nintendo exclusivity anymore. Other than that, I guess we just let Boom come and pass and pay attention to other games in the meantime.

*sigh*

I'm not going to even wait for the actual footage, we already know what the outcome is going to fucking be, mediocre new zany concept covered in shit design and programming. And Wisps.

GG Sonic Team, people called this shit even before the rumor.

• Thumbs Up 3

And that's another thing I don't like about the Wisps, especially the ones in SLW. There are moments in the game where you HAVE to use Music (the worst one of all no less!) or you HAVE to use Drill in order to progress in the stage. It's so annoying and breaks the main gameplay with useless Wisp gimmicks. Doesn't help that unlike Sonic Colours, the Wisps were annoying to control and most of the newer ones were just pointless.

I dunno, the Music one wasn't too bad I didn't think. Personally, I found the Asteroid Wisp far worse. Drill also really sucked as well.

I dunno, the Music one wasn't too bad I didn't think. Personally, I found the Asteroid Wisp far worse. Drill also really sucked as well.

Well yeah those two weren't any better, but half the time with Music I didn't even know the hell I was doing. Just...tapping random notes and hopping along. Mm'kay.

Another random, pointless one was Black Wisp.

Let's make a checklist of all the experimental things Lost World did.

- added a run button

- added a form of parkour mechanics

- reimplemented Spindash (though redesigned)

- added a kick homing attack move

- reimplemented the bounce attack (though redesigned)

- continued using Wisps that all required some form of gamepad usage

- gave us Mario Galaxy esque planetoid level design

- level layouts became very flat and slower paced

- every zone has at least one act with a really strange gimmick

- heavy focus on combat with hoardes of enemies

- introduced a temporary Wisp / item storing box system

- collectibles such as Flickies found in capsules all around stages that are required for progress

- a new, simpler and more saturated and geometric art style

- classic badnik designs

- a story starring new villains

- does the whole "hero and villain unite" thing

There's probably even more than that.

Lost World was experimenting in every little which way and completely changed everything that they were making consistency of for three games in a row. While we wouldn't put it past them for them to drop everything on the bat like that, Unleashed was a gameplay change that borrowed and evolved from others (specifically Sonic Adventure and Sonic Rush), while a lot of Lost World's stuff comes right out of nowhere and does certain things for really strange reasons.

For them to release an awfully Nintendo-y game with all these weird ideas as a Nintendo console exclusive that features Nintendo-based crossover DLC, it really just feels like SLW was one big party day in the studio. The way we described SLW in all of our reviews as "the one game where Sega just threw things at the wall and hoped they would stick" may have been true, going by how apparently the new game is no Lost World 2.

But yeah, we'll see in due time. Probably after Boom's games have been released, so they don't have to focus on the Nintendo exclusivity anymore. Other than that, I guess we just let Boom come and pass and pay attention to other games in the meantime.

If the statement behind SLW was to big one big experiment to see what ideas worked with the majority and what didnt, expect NOTHING from SLW to appear in future Sonic games.

Drill also really sucked as well.

One of the few Wisps in that game that controlled decentley and didnt immedlatley break the pace of the game (because it still went fast)?? I super disagree on that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Late as hell but anyway, why give up the SLW? It was just introduced & now it's getting tucked away for another I don't even know how many years... Iizuka said that wisps would be in any Sonic Game where they fit in which I'm cool with since their more interesting than item boxes & give Sonic epic powers, some of which he already has like Green Hover/Crimson Eagle are basically Lightspeed dashes, Blue Cube & Grey Quake are kinda the stomp, Pink Spikes is kind of the wall jump. I seen a couple people on TSSZ complaining about how they wish item boxes were given more use instead of keeping wisps in future Sonic games since there's going to be a multitude of them in the future & they might just get crammed into levels, I can relate to this but really, what do Item Boxes have on Wisps anyway? Red Burst makes the Fire Shield pointless, Ivory Lightning makes the Electric Shield look pointless & Drill makes the Bubble Shield pointless while at the same time making the most hated underwater levels a breeze! I don't really know if this was on topic but, just making a point here =)..

Generations style game means... BOOST TO WIN.. probably. That also means it's probably not gonna be for the 3DS & for the Xbox1 & PS4 like the previous information for Sonic games we've heard of.

Wisp are cool and all (well, for some) but they all literally flew away story wise. Also even without story substance they're really quite... Just there. I know some like seeing cute(?) little things being absorbed to help Sonic power-up. I think that gameplay wise you can still get the same effect by having a shield power-up that has those same.. powers. A box with a graphic of a rocket (or even a wisp if you're that into them) that gives you the power I think it'd work just as well with no story consequences 

Wisp are cool and all (well, for some) but they all literally flew away story wise. Also even without story substance they're really quite... Just there. I know some like seeing cute(?) little things being absorbed to help Sonic power-up. I think that gameplay wise you can still get the same effect by having a shield power-up that has those same.. powers. A box with a graphic of a rocket (or even a wisp if you're that into them) that gives you the power I think it'd work just as well with no story consequences 

I know, it just wouldn't be the same though =/, I didn't really understand why they were in the Lost Hex either. The Lost Hex is a future continent though, maybe all the newly discovered wisps had their own tribe or seperated from the main basis of wisps that were in Sonic Colors that Sonic didn't even know about at the time.

I don't know but I want a Sonic Colors 2

I don't know but I want a Sonic Colors 2

Last time that happened there was a bunch of nostalgia pandering and I was the only person who thought it was any good.

1 - It's as much a sequel to Colors as Star Fox Adventures is a sequel to Lylat Wars

2 - I liked it too. :<

Lost World? Is that what you're referencing? lol. Eh. A Sonic Colors 2... I'm not sure what else they can expand upon with wisps and such seeing as Lost World already booped that up :3

I want a game with a Sonic Colors-like artstyle, but with no 2D. At all. I don't like 2D in 3D Sonic games.

I think the only reason why it didn't work with lost world as much is because they weren't used for anything special, for the most part you could just not use them at all and the times that you did use them weren't all too special or anything. That said I think that they can be used for more creative things if sonic team gives more time for them next time.

Lost Worlds didn't really have an explanation on Wisps, they were kinda just.. hangin, doin it up. I would like to see some explanation of the wisps in the Lost Hex if Sonic Colors 2 or 3 if you count Lost Worlds as the sequal.

Lost Worlds didn't really have an explanation on Wisps, they were kinda just.. hangin, doin it up. I would like to see some explanation of the wisps in the Lost Hex if Sonic Colors 2 or 3 if you count Lost Worlds as the sequal.

They said that, yes, but I wouldn't put it past Sega to remove them following the backlash they received from Lost World's Wisp controls.

With how the record is, I'm not exactly assured of the idea that criticisms will necessarily be addressed.

Then again 9/10 Sonic games come across as Sonic Team basically wanting to make a new kind of game, but to make sure it sells well, they put Sonic in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Count me as another who does not want to see the Wisps return. They were fine in Colors since they actually held storyline relevance, (from what I could remember) were mostly optional in gameplay, and had decent controls. They were annoying in the Generations remake of Planet Wisp because they were mandatory to complete the level, but at least they were limited to that one level in the entire game and their presence was understandable since the game revolved around time travel (and they also thankfully operated by just the push of a button). Lost World up and ruined them, having them mandatory to complete (sections of) certain levels, having them exist for no good reason plotwise, and having asinine compulsory (at least until the update) motion controls slapped on top of them that made the overall gameplay worse.

I especially don't understand Iizuka's intention (and subsequent continued presence) for them as mainstay powerups because we already have the shields from the Genesis/2D games to fill that void (and kudos to Dimps for actually having the electric shield in their version of the game), as well as the character upgrades from the Adventure games and the Skill Set system from the Storybook/Unleashed era (which was also in Lost World...) as alternatives to give Sonic additional powers. And then there's the obvious "other playable characters" route Sonic Team always view as dash panels when designing their games: "treat it like an obstacle and jump over it". (#Sonic4PRstatement)

Though honestly, pre-existing upgrade systems and powerups are far from the only things from past games (that have been proven to work) the Sonic Team of today actively avoid when it comes to game design with their current (non-nostalgia pandering) titles.

• Thumbs Up 6

Saying the Wisps are pointless because we already have the shield power ups is such a strange comment. Most of the shied power ups have kind of been rendered useless now: the Flame Shield's launch attack got bungled into the Homing Attack, the Lightning Shield's ring attraction has been added as a boosting bonus, and Sonic spends less time in water now so the Bubble Shield is not as needed and it's attack got shoved into the bounce. There is no real need for them.

And don't say Wisps were "mostly optional in Colours," and then get annoyed because they were "sometimes mandatory in Lost World." You're literally picking and choosing your words to make one sound better than the other, despite the fact that they are the same thing. Getting annoyed at their controls is a valid complaint, this one isn't. 

Oh, and here's how you explain why the Wisps are in Sonic Lost World: because Sonic Team wanted to keep using them in their level design. Bam. Done.

My gripes with the Wisps in Lost World were that they were just there with no explanation, and the motion controls which they thankfully made optional.

My gripes with the Wisps in Lost World were that they were just there with no explanation...

Because gameplay first, story second.

Because gameplay first, story second.

I consider that a lazy excuse, personally. Sure, gameplay is the most important element, but there should be at least some element of continuity.

• Thumbs Up 9

I consider that a lazy excuse, personally. Sure, gameplay is the most important element, but there should be at least some element of continuity.

Why? Wisps still being around is the most inconsequential thing in that whole game. Their presence affects nothing. Is it ever stated in Colours that all the Wisps went back with their home planet? It's a complete non-issue.

Sonic didn't even react to them though. Not even an "ooh, a wisp! Haven't seen these guys in a while!". Even that would have been enough.

Why? Wisps still being around is the most inconsequential thing in that whole game. Their presence affects nothing. Is it ever stated in Colours that all the Wisps went back with their home planet? It's a complete non-issue.

Because some of us happen to like explanations and narratives harmonizing with the gameplay rather than just leaving it as gameplay alone? That's why some people have issues with the wisps as a narrative problem than a gameplay one, but that doesn't speak for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 7