Awoo.

Sonic Rivals 1 + 2

HelenBaby

I'd have to agree with that. It is a bit pointless, but I think its intended to make sure Sonic is clueless about the fact that Eggman is actually Nega. Knuckles, ironically, already heard about Nega but he still doesn't seem to know anything about Eggman being Nega, either (he was there with Silver in Sonic Rivals once when Silver mentioned Nega).

Shadow learns about Nega probably because he never met Nega in the Rush games, and Silver already knew Nega before the beginning of the game. I don't see how you can say they're trying to change whose the main character of the series. Its focusing away from Sonic purposely because Sonic isn't supposed to find out about it just yet. Later, mostlikely, but not until then. Sonic Rush Adventure itself I think kind of already links to Sonic Rivals somewhat; it shows when Nega first goes nuts and betrays Eggman initially.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperLink

• Mollfie

• JaidynReiman

Personally I really don't see the Rush and Rivals games linking... there are some huge continuity errors with the whole Blaze, Silver, Nega thing (not that you need me to tell you that)

I guess it could be possible that the last games of the Rush and Rivals series' will tie everything together, but I really doubt it, there are just too many problems. Was Blaze born in her world or in the future? And what about Nega? Blaze being a princess, I'm inclined to believe she was born and raised in her own world, unless her memories are fake... Yeah the whole situation is just impossible ;p

I'm not suggesting they're replacing the main character, but they're taking far too much emphasis OFF of Sonic, he's the main hero of the show after all. Rivals makes him seem more like a bystander than Shadow The Hedgehog does!

From what I've read of the Rivals' stories, they way they treat Sonic reminds me a lot of how he was treated in '06. They give him some generic "fight Eggman, save the world" storyline (perhaps because of all the fans saying that's what they want), then all the interesting and important things happen to other characters (Shadow and Silver, specifically). Makes me wonder why they even bother putting Sonic's name in the title, if he's practically irrelevant to the real story.

We don't even know if there will be a third rivals, and I'm starting to think that there won't be. But we'll see how it turns out.

Regardless, Nega is simple enough. He keeps on using his knowledge to move around a lot through time and to other dimensions, and simply lies about everything he says to get his way. One or even none of his stories may be true at all.

Blaze is a matter I won't discuss now, but I do think she's originally from Sonic's world. Hell, perhaps the time-space rift in Sonic '06 ended up creating an alternate dimension, I don't know. But I do think she's from Sonic's world, though I won't get into that at the moment.

And yeah, Sonic generally seems to just get the "Sonic vs. Eggman" treatment, but that's also what most everyone seems to want, too... I don't really know what to comment about that. It could be better in one respect that the complicated stuff is pushed off to the other characters, but it also makes Sonic's story seem pointless.

I think more fans would be pissed off with Sonic constantly getting the short end of the stick. Thankfully only Backbone seem to be doing that.

Blaze is a matter I won't discuss now, but I do think she's originally from Sonic's world. Hell, perhaps the time-space rift in Sonic '06 ended up creating an alternate dimension, I don't know. But I do think she's from Sonic's world, though I won't get into that at the moment.

I really want to get into it now though :( I will say that in Sonic Rush, Blaze says she was always treated with fear as a child, being cursed with fire due to her lineage (or something along those words). That to me means there are 2 Blazes, or one of her stories is wrong. Maybe Sonic 2006? It never happened after all. Blaze may have been erased from Sonic's future and instead grew up in her own world.

I thought 1 was meh, but 2 was pretty damn sweet IMO. It wasn't too fast like Rush, but it still gave that sense of flow, and pinball physics were quite strong in this game. And it took me a while to get "Race to Win" out of my head.

From what I've read of the Rivals' stories, they way they treat Sonic reminds me a lot of how he was treated in '06. They give him some generic "fight Eggman, save the world" storyline (perhaps because of all the fans saying that's what they want), then all the interesting and important things happen to other characters (Shadow and Silver, specifically). Makes me wonder why they even bother putting Sonic's name in the title, if he's practically irrelevant to the real story.

Because the title is in reference to the franchise itself rather than the eponymous character, even if he does take up only one-fourth (one-eighth in SR2) of the story itself. Same deal in Mario Kart or Donkey Kong 64. And what else are they going to call it? "Sonic and his Rivals?" Not the same ring there.

They both made me feel like I wasn't going fast which didn't make it much good at all.

It was a good time waster but it wasn't really fun after playing it for more than a few times.

^ I do agree that Sonic Rivals is kind of slow, but I don't mind too much really. It's the bosses of SR2 that annoy me more lol

I didn't find the Rivals games all that enjoyable. The stories were all kind of crammed together and undeveloped. Just basically all going after Eggman for dumb reasons. The first one's level designs were a bit more fun though, and I thought it had a bit of a better soundtrack. I also liked how it didn't force you to play the special missions in Rivals 2. Rivals 2 though, I don't know, it just didn't click with me. Too much required stuff for no reward. Having to do the exact same thing with eight different characters was pretty bleh. I also didn't like how they made the characters' voices so much louder.

Is it bad that I skip the story completely >.>

Not really. The stories are pretty bad on both Rivals.

I bet you were wondering what the hell took me so long to answer eh?

No secret around here that I think the Rivals games are the best things since SA2 (Unleashed notwithstanding).

Easily trump the Rush games in terms of design principles, as well as better layouts (Rivals 2) and better character selection (I'll Silver and Metal Sonic over Blaze ANY DAY)

I'm particularly fond of Rivals 2, which pretty much abolishes bottomless pits in favor of slower paths.

At the same time, I see the great potential in them, and really wish Iizuka hadn't got his dirty hands on them, and they could have been the platformers they were meant to be. Sonic Lightning would have thoroughly kicked the shit out of Sonic Rush in every aspect....except maybe music.