Awoo.

Brazil FIFA World Cup 2014

Gabz Girl

I have to give Croatia credit, they came out strong in this match considering they were leading for the first half and nearly tied the game towards the end. I'm not surprised Brazil won in the end though.

The whole office today was in agreement - never a penalty, and Croatia's goal should have stood. Croatia's keeper also came in for universal criticism and most thought Neymar should have had a red card.  Brazil ended up being quite fortunate last night.

And today, Mexico have had a goal disallowed for offside when the player was level. Not a great start for the officials so far, hopefully the standard will improve. Been a decent game thus far otherwise, Cameroon are offering more going forward than I thought they might.

EDIT - minutes after posting, a second goal was wrongly disallowed. Oh dear.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, if I wasn't a football fan, I'd think the Dutch were the champions going into this tournament!

So, Gabz, I'm guessing that even in your wildest dreams, you didn't think the Dutch would be winning 5-1?

This second half has been absolutely incredible, and let's give Robin van Persie his due for such an amazing header for their first goal.

• Thumbs Up 3

That...was...unbelievable. 5-1...from Holland?!

Never in my wildest dreams would I see Holland completely and utterly kicking Spain's ass. Talk about revenge! Robben was amazing, Van Persie playing the best he has in years and the goals kept coming from Holland! I'm certain that penalty in the first half changed them, it suddenly gave them a flipping adrenaline boost in the last minute and of course second half. I almost felt sorry for Spain, especially the goal that Robben scored and poor Casillas was stumbling about trying to grab the ball.

Hope this stops all the naysayers who don't think Holland will do well this year! I know this is only their first game but 5-1? Spain is going to have a tough time in this World Cup from the looks of it, unless they make a dramatic come back...

The only indication I had of what was going on was my mum's celebratory laugh-screams several times while I was upstairs washing.

It's only going to get louder from here.

Wow 5-1. I don't think anyone expected that scoreline. It's sweet revenge for Holland after Spain beat them in the final of the 2010 World Cup. 

I hope it serves as a spring-board for Holland to have a great tournament. As for Spain, I still gotta fancy them to make it through their group. It will be fascinating to see how they react to this heavy defeat.

I reckon Spain will still sneak out of the group, despite getting their asses handed to them. One thing's for sure, Casillas won't be starting for a while xD

I reckon Spain will still sneak out of the group, despite getting their asses handed to them. One thing's for sure, Casillas won't be starting for a while xD

That'd be a problem since he's the captain of the team...Maybe their teammates won't even like that idea

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shamoly. I was expecting a good game out of Spain v Holland, but flippin' 5-1?! That's insane!

Spain just absolutely crumbled in the second half. They've come into this tournament as reigning world champions and they've got their asses handed to them on a plate by the Dutch in the very first game. This just goes to prove that anything can and will happen at the World Cup - all it takes is an off day and your chances of making it through to the next round could fade away fast.

I'd still bet on Spain making it through to the last 16 (unless Chile or Australia really step up to the mark and produce something special), but I wouldn't be surprised now to see Holland take the top spot in the group. Which, as the commentators on BBC quite rightly pointed out, means we could end up with a Brazil v Spain game as early as the second round!

• Thumbs Up 1

Damn Netherlands! You practically killed Spain! If that's not revenge, then I don't know what is! I wouldn't count Spain out completely though since I have a feeling they'll still manage to get out the group stage. But I'm impressed with The Netherland's performance! I hope they keep it up!

Can't wait for the US to play. I'm still sour that Ireland didn't qualify though.

Was really hoping Austrailia would beat Chile today.

Well count me in for the discussion, never thought I'd see this thread here smile.png

In topic ...that 5-1 was ...so ...mind-blowing. I love both of em, in fact was rooting for Netherlands last time, guess this is their "revenge" quite the slap in the face for Spain if you ask me tongue.png They'll still pass the group I guess, but still ouch.

Quite interesting that Brazil started off the WC with an own-goal (although they won in the end) and now the defending champion gets beaten by quite some margin, definitely did not expect any of those. Let's see what more surprises await us.

And I must be so anti-patriotic or whatever. I'm latin but I was still rooting for the Aussies :C Oh well!

Who do you guys expect to win in that England vs Italy match-up? :D

Yeah poor Aussies. D: I was rooting for them the whole way through and they did a decent job to fend off Chile for most of the match. They were right when they said Chile is a damn good team and it makes me anxious to see how their game against Spain goes.

I'm a bit worried about England vs Italy tonight too. Unless England blows us away like Holland did, I expect a 2-1 for Italy. Balotelli is bound to score at least once for Italy and England has Rooney...err..yeah. I just hope it's an exciting match.

I was hoping Australia would win as well, but sadly, it was not to be. I'm not surprised though since Chile is a good team. Shame Greece lost against against Columbia. If I heard correctly, Columbia hasn't won a World Cup opener since 1990. I'm really hoping England wins against Italy tonight.

This is great. There's been 5 matches already and none of them were a boring 0-0. In fact, there are already 18 goals scored and the World Cup just started

I'm a bit worried about England vs Italy tonight too. Unless England blows us away like Holland did, I expect a 2-1 for Italy. Balotelli is bound to score at least once for Italy and England has Rooney...err..yeah. I just hope it's an exciting match.

...and Daniel Sturridge.

Meanwhile Uruguay are losing.

...and Daniel Sturridge.

Meanwhile Uruguay are losing.

Sorry for any people from Uruguay but my mom's country is winning and it makes me extremely happy.

Fun (or not-so-fun) fact:

there's a pub near my town which serves free beer for every goal Italy scores.

That's... pretty messed up mellow.png