Awoo.

Gameplay Consistency: What would you want?

SlickEvan

if the boost stays then i'm good! i think it should be the main sampe to the game. without the sense of speeds, it's just not a Sonic game. And bring back the Sonic Lost World set to.

Most fans are tired of the boost though; they feel it limits level design. a sense of speed is good, but it should be based around momentum. Though I do agree that Sonic should be based around it's thrill; speed as a reward doesn't really click with me; that's what the ranking systems for.

Most fans are tired of the boost though; they feel it limits level design. a sense of speed is good, but it should be based around momentum. Though I do agree that Sonic should be based around it's thrill; speed as a reward doesn't really click with me; that's what the ranking systems for.

I never understand why people do not like it and want the very old play back but then I didn't start with those 

I liked the Boost. At the time it was brought into 3D Sonic, it was something fresh and new that fit the series like a glove. It really added to the experience, with a great sense of thrills and set pieces. 

Yet at the same time, with several Sonic titles that had the boost under their belt, I began to grow tired of it. A lot of people felt it kinda undermined building up speed and momentum when it's given to you so easily. Which is totally understandable, and it started to feel played out and stale at the end of its run, despite having fun with it in Generations. I liked how Sonic Colors restricted it, but at the same time, it might as well not have even been in the game to begin with. 

If it returns in some capacity, I wouldn't mind if it was something along the lines of how Sonic Advance 2 approached it: the longer you run and build up momentum, the faster you go, until you break the sound barrier. Thus, a boost in a sense, albeit actually being tied into building speed and feeling more satisfying. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I never understand why people do not like it and want the very old play back but then I didn't start with those 

Because people say it's more something that was thought up as something to get away; in Unleashed people complained Sonic controlled like a car, and as a result the level design was built around that. The old Sonic games were built around momentum; you would build up speed and suddenly distinctions between walls and the ceiling would be virtually nonexistent.

However, I think it's general consensus that Sonic's classic gameplay doesn't translate to 3D, mostly because of camera issues and poor controls. It's all a matter of personal preference though, the general gaming public like's the boost gameplay, so you're not alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because it's restrictive, and they want more room for variety which the old style of play offered. Back then, you could simply speed through the stages, or you could play as Tails and fly around to discover other parts of the level, or play as Knuckles and climb around. When you limit things to just one dominating style of play and nothing else, people will start wanting to see more come around the next game.

Variety the spice of life and status quo the starch and what not - simply put, if people had more options to get through a level other than boosting through it, people wouldn't be so against it.

Regarding the talk of different gameplay strokes for different gameplay folks, I still think the series would had benefited from the Classic/the Hedgehog #, Adventure, and Unleashed styles of games being separated into (and defined as) different gameplay branches of Sonic, rather than having one serve as a replacement for the other and overtake the series as a whole. They're so different from each other in gameplay alone (which, all things considered, is arguably the strongest of differences between the games) it's kinda hard to believe they're all entries/sequels to each other within one streamlined series.

Not exactly saying they should had went the Megaman route and made each gameplay style a full-blown sub-series, complete with a different continuity from the main series like how they're doing with Boom, but kinda more like how the Storybook Series is treated. Obviously distinct from the main games with it's on-rails motion control gameplay and literature setting, but is still related to the main canon and is at it's core still a speed-based platformer.

So rather than having the full 3D games, the 2D/3D on-rails games, and the 2D games overlap within one branch, have them segmented into their own little co-existing branches that still make up the mainstream branch of Sonic games. Not sure if it would had helped the fanbase/series from being so splintered, (and given the fanbase, it probably wouldn't have), but I'd like to think it wouldn't had made it as bad as it is now.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want world consistency. Every Sonic game, it's almost as if the world has completely changed. We have continents, and then into the sky, with block bushes and squares of dirt- the same on land. I love that style, but what happened to Spagonia, or Soleanna? It's confusing.

And...character consistency, I suppose. Did the others just disappear? What?

The funny thing is that different as these controls are, the levels Sega has ended up putting them in have been pretty similar, because in either case expecting the player to do much more than what can be described as "intervening" is too much.  The solution is somewhere in the middle, and the most reliable and versatile way for it to work is to do it via a physics model.  

That's one of the biggest errors they made in my opinion, doing platforming with such a slippery/fast character is gonna get you killed pretty fast since it's so hard to control him. I think you had that control in SA2 but you didn't go as fast as SA1 unfortunately.

But yeah it's about time we got the physics part sorted out, it seems like after SA2 the characters just started getting too slippery up untill now, unless the problem has been fixed in LW.

About the boost part, well I really like it. It was what made me go like "sh*t, so this is what a proper sonic game looks like" when I first played Unleashed, the sense of speed is amazing. But not gonna lie though, it can get quite restrictive, still it's so much fun to play though.

Mainstream Sonic games should always stay true to what people expect when playing Sonic: high speed action platforming. However, at the same time, there must be new features/gimmicks so the gameplay stays fresh. The same exact gameplay shouldn't be milked over and over again. The new features/gimmicks should never detract too much from the original formula. A good example of a new feature/gimmick that both freshened up the experience and stayed true to the original formula is the Wisps.

The wisps were good, but there were other issues with Colors itself that kept it from being possibly better than the end product.

For one, the level design itself was very simple and didn't leave a lot to explore or move around outside of 2D areas. Most of the time, the 3D sections of the game (What I personally expect to play the most of) were empty little side-attractions before you get launched into a 2D part where most of the fun stuff is, which is a shame. There's also the fact that a lot of the wisps only work in 2D. And some of them in 3D aren't very fun to use. Lookin' at you, Frenzy.