Awoo.

Quick question about the 'number rating' on profiles

Willsy

This is actually something I've been curious about for a while. On user profiles, there is a green box with a number with a word underneath it. I know that it serves as a rating for that user, but I never actually found out his it works. For example, if there's a user who I want to give a good rating, does this tie into the 1-5 stars on the profile too? So if I gave them five stars, would that affect their number rating, or is that something separate?

I'm actually kind of embarrassed to bring this up, I've been here for a while now and I don't even know how this one thing works. :D

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe that's the number of Likes you have (meaning, how many posts of yours that have been liked). Not sure if it ties into the 5 star rating, however.

Ok, once upon a time SSMB had a rep system.

It meant you could 'like' or 'dislike' a post, and that score would be reflected in the users profile. However the neg rep ended up being a little abused and sometimes people would neg rep something which made sense even if it criticised something they liked.

So it was replaced with the current 'like' system.

That score, is your 'like' score.

And if you're really old, like me. SSMB profiles once had chaos emeralds, and smash cards too!

• Thumbs Up 6

Ah, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up Hoggy. :)

Topic can be locked.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reputation system described by Hogfather was simply Invision Power's first attempt at doing so without being a complete copy of Facebook's concept. Once it became standard, they gave it a new coat of paint as like/dislike instead of negative/positive. It wasn't us who did those changes - though I did disable the negative component way back when due to abuse. That stance isn't likely to change.

Numerical values per member (as noted in the profiles) do not modify the star rating. I've wanted to bring the emerald concept back (as well as some other visual goodies) but time is hard to come by.

• Thumbs Up 4