Awoo.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox One (2015), PS4, PC (2016)

Brad

Hang on, so roughly a year of console exclusivity? 

Oh it's is going to be really fun trying to avoid the spoilers for this for that length of time.

PS4 has to wait a year and yet Steam is getting it much earlier. Strange.....

I was expecting at least six months for PS4, but a years wait is going to be painful. Tomb Raider 2013 is a great game and I'm looking forward to playing Rise.

Sigh... at least I have Uncharted 4 to look forward to XD

I am so laughing right now.

Permanent exclusive my shiny metal ass, ahahahah-

I remember Square having to constantly say "IT'S A TIMED EXCLUSIVE DAMMIT NOW LEAVE US ALONE"

OK, they didn't say it quite like that but still lol

• Thumbs Up 2

PS4 has to wait a year and yet Steam is getting it much earlier. Strange.....

Well, this practice isn't completely uncommon, we've got shit like Gears of War PC coming later than Xbox One, or Ryse or even Street Fighter V, so

• Thumbs Up 1

Alrighty then Square Enix. When the game unperforms this time, don't start complaining about it, because it's your own fault for your bullshit practices.

• Thumbs Up 1

PS4 users get to wait a year for the inevitable GOTY Mega-hyper edition with extra hair follicles! 

... On another note... how much did MS pay for this?

What 2-3 million PS4 sales = what... tens of millions?

I am so laughing right now.

Permanent exclusive my shiny metal ass, ahahahah-

It was NEVER an exclusive. It was ALWAYS timed. Phil has stated this multiple times from people asking him.

• Thumbs Up 2

Glad there's finally some transparency on whatever is going on with this "deal". There were so many mixed messages and signals I began to lose track of if it really was a timed exclusive or not.

I am personally very surprised that they made this announcement before the release of the Xbox versions, they have been so deliberately vague and/or misleading up until this point. Personally, I don't mind waiting a year for the game to come to PS4 (if I do buy the PS4 version, that is. I might get a new PC by then), Microsoft did pay to have the game exclusive for a while so they should rightfully get that timed exclusivity. PC getting it earlier than PS4 is also understable, as it will likely be part of MS' Windows 10 gaming initiative. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy that it is coming to other platforms, but also perplxed as to why they announced the other versions before the Xbox versions are out.

• 2 weeks later...

She has gone from murder fearful to murder boner

Is it me or does the gameplay look a lot like The Last of Us?

Is it me or does the gameplay look a lot like The Last of Us?

Its a weird mixture of LoU and Assassin's Creed from the looks of it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/107730/20151118/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-release-affected-by-fallout-4-might-do-better-on-ps4.htm

The only thing I imagine right now is this playing in the minds of Square-Enix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzuUOCwecro

And let this be a lesson of what happens when you do this timed exclusivity nonsense, especially when your previous game "underperformed" and that was with all of current and modern consoles, and during the launch of three of the biggest games this year (Fallout 4, Black Ops 3, Battlefront).

TL;DR: Everyone predicted they were gonna fuck up their sales, and low and behold, they pulled it off.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration Revealed on PS4

Hi everyone! We just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration will launch on PS4 October 11. We’re thrilled to share this news with you.

28319913241_041ae83e5b_z.jpg

When we were planning the PS4 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, our very first imperative was to outdo anything we’d done before, such as our definitive editions. A mere “Game of the Year” wouldn’t satisfy us, or our fans. We knew that our PlayStation community both deserved and demanded more than that. So we’re working with our long-time partner Nixxes Software to make this version truly special.

First, whenever we ask you what DLC you’re interested in, “new story” is number one on the wish list. Talking it over with our Franchise Creative Director, Noah Hughes, he immediately turned to a franchise favorite: Croft Manor.

While shown previously only in cutscenes in the campaign of Rise of the Tomb Raider, the Manor represents more than just a place. It is Lara’s legacy. It’s an incredibly important part of her story and the franchise, and like many of you we have fond memories of it from the classic games. So we’re excited to introduce the all-new “Blood Ties” chapter, which will let you explore Croft Manor and unlock its mysteries in a new story mode, then defend it against an undead invasion in “Lara’s Nightmare.”

28365542586_6c478d3319_z.jpg

The Manor also offered a great opportunity for us to investigate the possibilities with cutting edge VR technology. So for the first time in franchise history, you’ll be able to play “Blood Ties” in first-person through Lara’s eyes!

Next, we’re adding a new online co-op expansion to Endurance mode. You and a friend can team up to raid tombs and battle for the longest survival run to stay at the top of the leaderboards.

To celebrate Tomb Raider releases through the years, you can outfit Lara with a re-envisioned version of the cold-weather outfit and the Hailstorm pistol that was featured in Tomb Raider III. In addition, a special card pack will allow you to replay the main story with five classic Lara models. You won’t believe your eyes when you see the original low-poly Lara model in glorious high fidelity Rise of the Tomb Raider cutscenes.

For our hardcore fans, we’ve added a brutal new “Extreme Survivor” setting, which increases the difficulty and strips out all of the checkpoints. The only way to save your game is to forage enough resources to light campfires and survive from one to the next!

28365542716_3394eb041b_z.jpg

Finally, along with Endurance mode, all previously released DLC will be included, such as the three hour story addition Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch, and the Cold Darkness Awakened pack which forces you to combat waves of infected predators. Not to mention all of the outfits, all of the weapons, and a ton of Expedition Cards. You receive everything in one package!

We can’t think of a better way to celebrate with all Tomb Raider fans, and to thank you for being on Lara’s 20 year journey with us. We’re excited to share more details on the new content in the coming months as we gear up for the launch of Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration on October 11!

See you online in Endurance mode!

Square Enix is targeting a 1080p/30fps resolution and frame rate for the upcoming PS4 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, the publisher has confirmed, adding that "anything beyond that is a bonus".

Nice to finally have a release date for PS4. Gives me an excuse to go back and play the 2013 game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Launch trailer for PS4:

We have some new screenshots:

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_oehiviuTus1qkq7tbo8_1280.jpg

I'm replaying TR 2013 in preparation for RISE. Can't wait!

Started playing Rise. Liking it so far. Graphics are superb. Controls feel natural just like in the previous game. One thing I like is how if you move too near an edge and fall, Lara automatically clings to the ledge and then recovers-climbs back up really fast, and i do mean really fast (compared to the previous game). It's a small thing but it's a nice touch. 

Here's a few screenshots I took:

E5ZqwUU.jpg

Cugz80lXgAACpnV.jpg

Cug0NspXEAA-lDB.jpg

zsTzaX6.jpg

Never really played any of the Tomb Raider games besides that one coop game, so I don't really know much about the games, but this one looks really cool. Really liking the visuals.

Might have to play Tomb Raider (2013) first before getting to this one, though.

18 hours ago, YoshiParty said:

Never really played any of the Tomb Raider games besides that one coop game, so I don't really know much about the games, but this one looks really cool. Really liking the visuals.

Might have to play Tomb Raider (2013) first before getting to this one, though.

I highly recommend you start with Tomb Raider 2013. It's an action-adventure game very similar to the Uncharted series. It's a mixture of combat, puzzle solving and exploration. It's just so well designed. Has an easy-going story. The controls, graphics, set pieces and stage design is excellent. The weapons and combat is easy to master and the weapons & combat upgrade systems are well designed. Lots of collectibles and optional tombs to explore. A lot of the combat encounters can be made easier if you master taking out enemies silently. Plenty replay value. 

It's just a really fun game.

• Thumbs Up 1