Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

You know, here's something to consider while we're on the retro track, if their next game is an original IP, that they've put themselves into, from the beginning designed around the Wii-u, do you really think that they would want, or Nintendo would make them move it to the next platform? I really think they wouldn't.

9 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

You know, here's something to consider while we're on the retro track, if their next game is an original IP, that they've put themselves into, from the beginning designed around the Wii-u, do you really think that they would want, or Nintendo would make them move it to the next platform? I really think they wouldn't.

I highly doubt Retro will be doing a new IP yet. However, if they started a new game on Wii U, I do think they would definitely finish it on Wii U. However, they could still create an NX version, maybe even one to release at a later date. Zelda is getting a simultaneously release, that doesn't mean every cross-platform game has to.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the Zelda blowout at E3.

Let's get back on topic; this one here's for Zelda, and you can keep Wii U game discussion/potential upcoming NX games in their respective threads.

• Thumbs Up 2

Somehow the later release date brings with it the idea, at the very least, that this will really be one of the best games in the series if not basically being an almost entirely new experience, including with regards to extensive replay potential. 

This is highly speculative, but, for it to be on two internet connected systems, it seems possible that some parts of the world could even take advantage of that to allow ephemeral and sudden new areas or characters, and otherwise, more traditional DLC.  It is also exciting to see confirmed that it will be available for people to test and experience in basically a month and a half !!  I think even whichever build is available at E3 will leave us speechless at times if not completely!

On Retro: I can't see their next project being revealed before the NX's launch lineup reveal. I think that Nintendo's going to be hoarding all its golden eggs for that baby.

On Zelda: I like the artwork, the arrow has a very cyberpunk look to it and might be indicative of some sections of the game taking place in a technologically advanced region, akin to Skyward Sword's Lanayru province. However, I think it's a little early to say that Link won't be donning his traditional green garb this time around. At the very least, there's a strong chance that we might get some different outfits to wear.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Patticus said:

On Retro: I can't see their next project being revealed before the NX's launch lineup reveal. I think that Nintendo's going to be hoarding all its golden eggs for that baby.

On Zelda: I like the artwork, the arrow has a very cyberpunk look to it and might be indicative of some sections of the game taking place in a technologically advanced region, akin to Skyward Sword's Lanayru province. However, I think it's a little early to say that Link won't be donning his traditional green garb this time around. At the very least, there's a strong chance that we might get some different outfits to wear.

It would be cool if we did, i've never really liked links green tunic all that much (just feels a bit too bland for me though HW link is cool) and i'd really like it if we got an option to use that outfit that he's been in in the trailers since it reminds me so much of links pajama's in WW, and I loved those.

I love the idea of multiple armors for link, but another thought could be, what if the game's story bypasses all the typical "hero of legend" stuff we've come to expect?  Link isn't chosen by destiny this time, he never arbitrarily gets given the tunic, he's just a very skilled guy who rises to the challenges he gets put towards.

Would be a nice change of pace compared to Skyward Sword where Fi never shutting up about how everything is going according to the Goddess' plan kind of ruined the feeling of involvement of that we were changing things for the better.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, to be fair, The Hero of Winds was also repeatedly stated to be an Unchosen One (the King of Red Lions even tells Jabun that that game's Link had no connection to the Hero of Time), especially since he had to actually get the Triforce of Courage himself to prove himself worthy of being the successor to the Hero of Time. Even the tunic was just a ceremonial thing given to every boy his age on Outset. So there's precedent there.

Here's a good joke about the delay I saw over at GAF:

Fans in 2015: WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YOU SHOW ZELDA AT E3. WE WANT ZELDA. WE WANT ZELDA.

Kimishima:

5hw0Jrs.png

7 hours ago, JezMM said:

I love the idea of multiple armors for link, but another thought could be, what if the game's story bypasses all the typical "hero of legend" stuff we've come to expect?  Link isn't chosen by destiny this time, he never arbitrarily gets given the tunic, he's just a very skilled guy who rises to the challenges he gets put towards.

Would be a nice change of pace compared to Skyward Sword where Fi never shutting up about how everything is going according to the Goddess' plan kind of ruined the feeling of involvement of that we were changing things for the better.

I really want this, honestly. I think that (and I reiterate that want this to be the case) the "Hero's Tunic" along with the Master Sword, Hylian Shield and other iconic doodads are probably hidden at the end of some secret labyrinths and dungeons that are off the beaten path. Maybe it's even possible to have more than one horse, with one of them being red with white hair? 

Could happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I really want this, honestly. I think that (and I reiterate that want this to be the case) the "Hero's Tunic" along with the Master Sword, Hylian Shield and other iconic doodads are probably hidden at the end of some secret labyrinths and dungeons that are off the beaten path. Maybe it's even possible to have more than one horse, with one of them being red with white hair? 

Could happen. 

I'm really leaning towards the "more than one horse" thing. Epona varies from game-to-game, but Epona's design is usually quite consistent with a more reddsh-brown and a white mane... in literally EVERY game Epona appears in (and surprisingly its actually quite a few). This looks closer to a Gerudo horse rather than Epona (which fits with the theories that Link might have some ties to Gerudo due to the markings on his clothes).

Plus, it was never stated that the horse is Epona. Miyamoto mentioned Epona because that's the name of Link's horse usually, but Aonuma did not say that the horse was Epona, and with how consistent Epona's design is from game-to-game, I find it hard to believe it actually is.

Oh, and in regards to the Hylian Shield being the ultimate shield this time...

I swear to god they better NOT do that. The Hylian Shield isn't a legendary shield of anything of the sword. Its just a standard shield the Hylian Knights wield. It only makes sense as the ultimate shield in Skyward Sword, which takes place a long period of time before other games. I'd far rather the Hylian Shield be one of the stronger shields, but bring back the Mirror Shield as the ultimate shield again.

You know, with the relative success of all their third party developed spinoffs, I'd be really surprised if they didn't have one last wii-u one planned especially with the massive success of Hyrule Warriors. My personal bet is Soulcalibur which strikes me as a really obvious pick since there's already history(Link in Soulcalibur 2), and at the least we could finally get a wii-u version of SC2HD with Link, but a bigger possibility is an enhanced port of Soulcalibur V with multiple Zelda characters and additional story elements. Seems like a no-brainer to me given that the Legend of Zelda series and Soulcalibur series both share the element of having a major focus on a mystic sword, and then on top of that have elements that make them fun to bring together

Kind of astounds me of how little this idea is discussed, seems like a no-brainer to me even moreso than Pokken because it doesn't require a unique engine

3 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

You know, with the relative success of all their third party developed spinoffs, I'd be really surprised if they didn't have one last wii-u one planned especially with the massive success of Hyrule Warriors. My personal bet is Soulcalibur which strikes me as a really obvious pick since there's already history(Link in Soulcalibur 2), and at the least we could finally get a wii-u version of SC2HD with Link, but a bigger possibility is an enhanced port of Soulcalibur V with multiple Zelda characters and additional story elements. Seems like a no-brainer to me given that the Legend of Zelda series and Soulcalibur series both share the element of having a major focus on a mystic sword, and then on top of that have elements that make them fun to bring together

Kind of astounds me of how little this idea is discussed, seems like a no-brainer to me even moreso than Pokken because it doesn't require a unique engine

So we'd have Ezio and Link in the same game. Man, getting silently choked to death by Snake in Brawl, and now Assassin bladed by Ezio lol, poor Link.

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So we'd have Ezio and Link in the same game. Man, getting silently choked to death by Snake in Brawl, and now Assassin bladed by Ezio lol, poor Link.

I would imagine Ezio might be removed as a result, but we;d be getting more than 1 Zelda character, heck, Link, Ganondorf, Zelda(or Sheik) alone would be assured. For such a late port, and designed as more of a crossover using V as a basis to majorly reduce development time and costs to make it in time for this year.

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

Yeah, Ezio wouldn't be kept in.

Mando, I don't imagine there'd be a direct Soul Calibur X Zelda. I could see maybe a Soul Calibur-styled Zelda spinoff, similar to Pokken Tournament, but with just Zelda characters. (It could reuse the SCV game engine, though.)

But yeah, I don't imagine a direct full crossover between the two. Just in the sense that its an established fighting game using Zelda characters. Like how Hyrule Warriors doesn't directly crossover the two, its just using Zelda characters and themes in a Dynasty Warriors game.

It definitely sounds like there may be another Zelda surprise in store. It could just as easily be a 3DS title, but it could also be a spinoff on Wii U. And of course, a Zelda amiibo line released alongside it.

• 1 month later...

New artwork of Link and his horse:

CkbZRGhXIAA9wb-.jpg

Less than a week to go until the big reveal now!

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it's been said god knows how many times about god knows how many things, but my body is so ready for this.

I need to lie down

Oh Heavenly Lord that was so good.

I have things to say about that, but I'm going to wait to type up my thoughts. Ohhh maaaaaann but this had EVERYTHING I wanted right off the bat.

Right down to the cooking mechanic WHICH YOU DORKS TOLD ME WAS A BAD IDEA IN THE STATUS UPDATES HAHAHAHA

IN YOUR FACE

• Thumbs Up 6

I shed some tears looking at that fucking game man. That's the strongest reaction anything from  this E3 got from me.

Zelda's come so far, and it's finally about to meet it's full potential.

.eJwFwdsNwyAMAMBdGACDeTbbIIJI1AQj7KgfVXf

Rusted Master Sword is intersting. Does it even still work? Is it any good?

• Thumbs Up 5

GODDAMN

Got some major major Shadow Of The Collosus vibes off that. Well, looks like I'm buying an NX, fuck that looks super good.

So, is no one gonna talk about the potential voice acting? We heard a person speak in the trailer!

27 minutes ago, Wraith said:

.eJwFwdsNwyAMAMBdGACDeTbbIIJI1AQj7KgfVXf

Rusted Master Sword is intersting. Does it even still work? Is it any good?

I think it's very apparent- even without the Master Sword there- that a lot of time has passed in this iteration. The landscape is pristine and pretty damn sparse, populated mainly by animals, a few monsters, and tons of those Death Ray robots we saw in the original teaser which are dormant. Plus, the whole thing with "open your eyes": I think that thematically refers to something in the world itself (Link is carrying an artifact with the Eye of Sheikah after all), while also being Zelda once again telling him to get his lazy ass out of bed. If I were to be optimistic and my fangirl self at the same time, this is probably after Skyward Sword, where basically Hyrule was founded and peace reigned for a really long fucking time. So, no real issues after shoving Demise back out the door, thus no real reason to use the Master Sword.

• Thumbs Up 2