Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

It's anyone else a wee bit disappointed by the cel-shading on the characters? The visuals for the actual environment look incredible, but not so much on Link herself himself. Also not sure to make of Link. It's ever such a feminine look, and that's after already seeing Hyrule Warriors.

But oh shit open world

oh shit those graphics

oh shit that 1080p

oh shit that everything

This is going to be incredible why did they have to show us only such a tiny piece?!

He looks like an actual girl but without breasts. Either he's INCREDIBLY androgynous, or this leak is a female and is just hiding it. :P

I don't like the cel-shaded graphics. I LOVE the open world gameplay. This is a DREAM come true. Skyward Sword was so damn restricting, and this one is the exact OPPOSITE.

The design on the cloth on Link's gloves reminds me of Ganondorf's from OOT's:

150px-Ganondorf.png

Not exactly the same but they do remind me of each other.

His tunic reminds me of WW Link's Outset clothes.

Anyway, the game looks unbelievable. Awesome graphics. I wanted more realistic like TP, but this just looks fantastic. Hope it runs out good. The showing nearly made up for my disappointment of what I read about Star Fox U and the lack of Metroid 3DS :V

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean, we all new Zelda Wii U was coming... BUT OPEN WORLD ZELDA? That's awesome. Actually, wasn't there a leak that showed open world Zelda in the same graphical style as Skyward Sword?

Trailer was shown in-engine, not pre-rendered

Source

The breath-taking footage Nintendo showed today for its 2015 Wii U Zelda is real, a Nintendo rep tells me. I asked if it was pre-rendered. No, they said. It's in-engine. It's not a gameplay angle, for the most part, but what you saw is coming from Wii U-level hardware, it seems.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Link was a girl at first. The style used for the character models were more cartoony than I thought they would be so of course Link would be smaller and thinner. Probably less effeminate than toony.

Has no one been discussing the magical/mechanical arrow either? Looks nice as fuck.

I also have to post here because some goons are trying to get the upper hand on me with Zelda stuffs

You know what really makes me happy? We finally have a really different Link design again. We once went from Link's Awakening to OOT to OOX to WW to TP, but after that the WW design was reused twice and Skyward Sword's was pretty similar to TP's and the nwe went to a slightly altered OOX design. I like the designs, but it's nice to see a very different Link again.

He kind of reminds me of Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke:

CI_87627_1391121221.jpg

wiiu_zelda_scrn03_e3ysrld.png

wiiu_zelda_scrn01_e3xeexh.png

The robot looks Ghibli-esque to me, too. Seems like a good place to take inspiration to me.

I know that we didn't see any "real" gameplay in the trailer (it was all in-engine footage though), but that looked absolutely goddamn gorgeous. I have in turn adored the visual styles of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, and this looks like yet another look I'm falling in love with. That, and the huge open world, and Link's new look (unless that was Zelda; slim, petite, no sword, light arrows, Zelda's cloak etc... but that might be too big a departure from Zelda norms for Nintendo) is great too. Definitely wanting this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I'm the only one extreeeeeemely disappointed by the art style following that amazing E3 2011 tech demo. I really did not want another cartoony looking Zelda for the series' first proper HD debut. I'm happy about the open world thing, but I really didn't think they would use these kind of visuals again. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess I'm the only one extreeeeeemely disappointed by the art style following that amazing E3 2011 tech demo. I really did not want another cartoony looking Zelda for the series' first proper HD debut. I'm happy about the open world thing, but I really didn't think they would use these kind of visuals again. 

You're not, I am too. :P

Honestly from Nintendo's function before form attitude, you can rest assured the world would not look as amazing as it does without the tricks one can do with a cartooney art style.

Anyway this looks fantastic.  So crisp compared to Skyward Sword's muddiness, and I love the androgynous new Link design (badass pony-tailed dudes unite).  Also lasers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hold the Fucking Presses!!

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/10/zelda-creator-teases-that-we-didnt-see-link-in-wii-u-trailer/

That trailer for the new Legend of Zelda for the Wii U sure looked great, didn’t it? But what was up with Link? He wasn’t wearing his iconic green tunic or hat. Why did Link look so weird?

“No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

That’s what Legend of Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma told me when I asked him about Link’s, or whoever it is’, new appearance during an interview at Nintendo’s E3 booth. He said this with a smile and a laugh. Could the bow-wielding hero we just saw not be Link, the star of every game in the series history?

Earlier in the interview, Aonuma told me that he was always looking for ways to shake up the series conventions. We saw this in the recent A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS, which let you explore dungeons in any order you wanted while renting items from a store. But a Zelda game without Link as the main hero? That would be a huge blow to tradition.

So, who is that? The outfit actually looks like the same one Link wore in the beginning of The Wind Waker. Aonuma himself smiled when I brought up this connection. Could this new entry be tied to that universe? Of course, that doesn’t explain why this wouldn’t be Link. Maybe it’s a child of a Link we already played as, like the one from Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. Let the speculation begin.

So basically it's Link

wowie zowie

To clarify, the character in the trailer is an elf-like boy with brown hair and blue eyes including long side locks. He is riding a horse and wielding a bow. Everything that describes Link.

Link isn't simply one character. Each game has a different lead who happens to be named Link. This boy in his blue outfit can easily be named Link. As we all know, Link rarely starts in his iconic green tunic.

Maybe, MAYBE. It's Zelda. This is probably the reason why "Link" looks very feminine. 

Oh who am I kidding, it's Link.

Or maybe its the child of Zelda and link after the new hyrule is settled and its female :P but we need to wait and see

It's Luigi

Maybe Luigi is the horse.

And my post has already been devoured by a new page. Man :(

By the way, I heard that Miyamoto said in an answer to a question about Link's updated design "I never said that was Link."

I don't know where its from, though, my wife found that comment online. But that would explain why Link looks so girly. (He's actually a she, and is actually Zelda.)

EDIT: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/2014/06/10/the-character-in-the-zelda-u-trailer-may-not-have-been-link-according-to-aonuma/

Aonuma said it, not Miyamoto.

• Thumbs Up 1

That hair is pretty distinctly Link-like; it'd be super weird for Zelda's first appearance as the main playable character to be as some sort of weird Link doppelganger rather than looking anything like any version of herself. Anything's possible (Zelda's looks have varied a lot and she has a history with disguises), but if this person isn't Link, I'd be more likely to wager that they're a female Link or some sort of Link relative or equivalent.

I have legitimately no idea what Aonuma's record is like when it comes to fucking around with people, so whether there's actually anything to that thing he maybe said in the first place, I have no idea.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that it was just Aonuma making a joke and the one site that reported this took it WAY too seriously? He also joked that the horse wasn't Epona when people asked about it in TP. Guess what? It was Epona.

I mean really, taking Venture Beat seriously?

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty sure Anouma just wants to fuck with everybody.

That's just girly man Link.

Probably, but there's only so much discussion value in a 40-second teaser. Gotta talk about somethin' once the ooh prettys run out.

I'm curious how the item system's going to work. It probably won't be exactly like A Link Between Worlds, but it's hard to imagine getting proper open-world freedom without handing the player a bunch of items right off the bat. Unless maybe you still needed to find them, but they were available in more than one place?

I think the game will still have a fairly straightforward plot, but obviously more open-ended. You'll probably find items again like in past games, but start off with a sword and maybe a horse. I doubt you'll just be thrown right out into an open world, it'll probably have a basic tutorial and introduction at first, then set you off into the entire world where you can follow the main plot or go off and do whatever you want. It all depends, but I like the look of it so far.

People wonder why Link doesn't have the tunic either, but with the reintroduction of the armors in Link Between Worlds I don't find it that surprising. You might have to FIND the tunic, complete with its chainmail.

People wonder why Link doesn't have the tunic either, but with the reintroduction of the armors in Link Between Worlds I don't find it that surprising. You might have to FIND the tunic, complete with its chainmail.

Probably. Plus since Wind Waker Link never starts with the tunic anyway.