Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

A flashback sounds likely to me as well. It seems like there's some sort of threat at the end as well, since the woman clenched her fist... Dark forces attacking before Link goes to sleep for 100 years?

I do wonder where the Master Sword went, though, and why he doesn't have it when he awakens. Maybe he lost it on his way to the sleeping pod during a battle.

Maybe Link put it back in the pedestal before going into stasis?

Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-11-10

I'm not sure why, though; surely the Shrine of Resurrection would be safe enough for the sword, if it's safe for Link to sleep in there for a hundred years or so.

Then again, I guess if something did happen to the Shrine it'd be sensible to have the sword somewhere else, so that another hero could hopefully show up and use it...

• Thumbs Up 1

I love this tragic feel of the game. Is so beautiful!

Non playable flashbacks make sense. Link and Zelda try to fight but have no chance against Calamity Ganon's attacks, so they have to seal themselves to awaken in a moment where the  "war" stopped... 100 years to be exact.

Before the Master Sword scene, the first trailer shows Link and the Guardian in the moment where Ganon attacks. compare that moment to the one in the second trailer with Hyrule Castle getting destroyed. I think is a moment after the destruction.

They are finally showing the moment where everything goes down! Not just the aftermatch like the flood in Wind Waker.

10 hours ago, Celestia said:

Maybe Link put it back in the pedestal before going into stasis?

Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-11-10

I'm not sure why, though; surely the Shrine of Resurrection would be safe enough for the sword, if it's safe for Link to sleep in there for a hundred years or so.

Then again, I guess if something did happen to the Shrine it'd be sensible to have the sword somewhere else, so that another hero could hopefully show up and use it...

Well, one thing I know about the Zelda series is that Link only takes the Master Sword when he needs it to save Hyrule, and he only puts it back when he's achieved his goal.  If the Master Sword is in its pedestal in the present, and we take for certain that we've been shown flashbacks where Link has the Master Sword, then that could imply that whatever's happening to Hyrule now may be aftermath from a previous, unseen quest.

4 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Hey, footage of the Switch version of Zelda debuted on The Tonight Show.

Haha, I was just about to post this in the Switch topic. I loved how Jimmy was geeking out, especially because Miyamoto was watching.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was just lovely to watch Jimmy's inner child leap out on stage, his love for all things Nintendo is quite apparent, and really infectious - the good kind of infectious.

Zelda continues to look wonderful, but I worry that we have this huge game world to explore, but not much direction - I hope we see a raft of great side-quests and random encounters to accompany the main story, as past games have done. I can't wait to see more!

• Thumbs Up 1

Showcasing the Wii U version at The Game Awards but show the Switch AND its demo to a much wider televised audience on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon?

Well played, Nintendo. Well played.

• Thumbs Up 2

The frame-rate... off the internal battery... looks miles ahead of what the Wii U could even manage!

Dear Lord, that's damn impressive!

• 2 weeks later...

And now we have a bunch of rumours circulating that the game's been canned for Wii U.

http://n4g.com/news/1995108/wii-u-version-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-cancelled

Not even sure what to say if this is true. Talk about a cosmic slap in the face to Wii U owners who've been promised this one damn game for the past 4 years now.

I know that I for one won't be crossing Nintendo's palm for a Switch if they pull this, at least not on launch. It's a betrayal of dedicated supporters.

• 2 weeks later...

C0evkecUoAA_faz.jpg

The official Zelda Twitter account posted this, who knew The Guardian could be so festive?
Either that or it's a stealth attack on Link, too bad Link is the Kevin McCallister of Hyrule

• Thumbs Up 3

Interesting how Wolf Link is advertised a lot even in the artwork. Wonder if there IS some story purpose for the guy after all and not just some random non-canon extra.

Not sure if this is new information or not to you guys, but Nintendo has released this Breath of the Wild artwork, seemingly confirming what some have long suspected:

bqPn5os.jpg

It bears a striking resemblance to Zelda 1's art:

cbxhKGN.jpg

So, it's most likely set in the same timeline as Zelda 1. Whether it's set before or after it, we likely won't hear for sure until the next iteration of Hyrule Historia, though I suspect it to be set some time before it. If BotW isn't actually a Zelda 1 remake, I wonder if a pretty new Zelda 1 update might be on the cards?

• Thumbs Up 4

They've said before that the game's significantly inspired by Zelda 1, and in fact that exact piece of art was used as reference/inspiration, though, right? I don't see this confirming anything about its place in the timeline.

• Thumbs Up 6

No, but knowing Nintendo and teasing, this could easily be a hint. This is just simple speculation, nothing needs to be confirmed to hypothesize.

The timeline the first game is a part of would be a pretty interesting choice.

I don't think any of the other 3D games are set in that one? That and they could take this opportunity to explain (or at least hint at) why the third timeline is a thing, since I seem to remember that being a point of contention for some fans.

We got new screenshot from Nintendo's Facebook (Deku Tree...?):

15874917_1280291148698679_56907137293902

Game still looks gorgeous, but I wish they would upload these to somewhere other than Facebook. The compression is brutal.

official artwork, not sure from where though

31437424134_429add797b_k.jpg
31437424994_0a2b26a20e_h.jpg
31437425594_24ffebea98_k.jpg

Goron dude looks awesome, and I'm glad the zora are back too

• Thumbs Up 1

So it looks like the blue garbs are perhaps a symbol of sorts? Perhaps they're some kind of organization or faction that works to fight ganon?