Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

That boss chase in the overworld was fucking insane. When the stream was on, when it came into view and Epona started freaking out, I was wondering what the hell it was. Then it started firing lasers and suddenly HOLYSHITEVERYTHINGSONFIRE(hi, my name is Geoff, and I'm a glitchy silverfish, not much else left to say...). It makes fighting dragons in Skyrim seem awfully quaint by comparison. Fucking hyped.

I really hope we get more than a few boss fights out in the overworld and bosses that don't really limit themselves to their boss rooms.

Probably. Plus since Wind Waker Link never starts with the tunic anyway.

Does Link typically start out wearing Zelda's cloak and wielding her Light Arrows too? I think not. The plot may involve just that though, I suppose.

It was just an in-engine trailer, likely not indicative of any particular moment in the game, but maybe it does however represent this idea (was this confirmed during the Direct?) that maybe we can tackle dungeons in any order and thus acquire items in any order.

I thought it was interesting that Epona was bay this time;  previously she's been consistently pseudo-palomino (flaxen chestnut or bay silver).  That was one reason I was wondering if this was actually Link.  Whoever it is does look very athletic-female this time.

I've seen a couple of people speculating online that this "not Link" may be Link's twin sister or alternate dimension counterpart, which might suggest some form of co op play.

Somehow though I don't see them managing to make this an open world adventure that looks this good and has co op, but what a feat it would be if true.

Personally I still think it's just Link. Maybe after the events of Hyrule Warriors where the world is reduced to ruin because an evil witch fancies him a bit too much, he's gone for a different look to try and spare the land from further chaos :lol:

Maybe Link, maybe not. Maybe female, maybe not.

Doesn't matter to me.

I'd still hit it.

Real talk though, this games looks wonderful.

• Thumbs Up 5

One theory I've seen and liked was that it's Aryll. Aonuma apparently smiled when someone said the tunic is reminiscent of Link's crawfish shirt and her looking similar to her brother wouldn't be too strange. I've said before that I'd love a sequel to Phantom Hourglass that takes place in New Hyrule around the time when it was discovered. If this is indeed WW's Aryll, we could actually have that minus the adult Toon Link.

That said, I expect that Aonuma's just having a little joke and it is Link and I'm fine with that.

• Thumbs Up 2

That'd be an interesting twist.

New Link also has a ponytail, which could even reference Aryll's pigtails.

I'd totally love for a big console Zelda installment to take place in New Hyrule. That whole story doesn't really feel complete with just Spirit Tracks.

This guy has blue earrings. Link has always had blue earrings. It's either Link or somebody very close to him. They've been talking about defying certain traditions of the Zelda series, so Link actually having a family instead of just being some random kid with no real background seems pretty likely

This guy has blue earrings. Link has always had blue earrings. It's either Link or somebody very close to him. They've been talking about defying certain traditions of the Zelda series, so Link actually having a family instead of just being some random kid with no real background seems pretty likely

Link's had family before.

Link's had family before.

The only examples that come to mind are ALTTP and Wind Waker, and I guess Ocarina of Time had a minor reference to Link's mother.

Okay, let's say that this Link really is a girl. If there's a Zelda in this game, do you think they'd keep her a princess or make her a prince?

I'm betting on it being Link's younger brother. Link's had a sibling before.

and then you'll all feel bad for hitting on some kid

Okay, let's say that this Link really is a girl. If there's a Zelda in this game, do you think they'd keep her a princess or make her a prince?

*giggle* *snort* P-Prince Zeldude?

Yeah sure, why not.

I'm curious how big the world is going to be. I'm hoping for something close to Oblivion atleast.

The only examples that come to mind are ALTTP and Wind Waker, and I guess Ocarina of Time had a minor reference to Link's mother.

Minish Cap, too.

Tumblr have been speculating that this might be more about the Gerudo's due to the bracelets/arm bands he/she is wearing being similar to Gerudo tradition.

Either way I hope this is a completely different take on the Zelda formula and I hope they remain ambitious and not afraid to throw new things into the mix, open world is nice and all but the land needs to be full of random events that will keep the experience fresh and exciting, otherwise we'll have the slogging and backtracking like we had in WW and SS. Random events like chases, or discovering secret areas to explore and stuff, you know they could take a Skyrim approach to it where they offer so much side content, that it takes you away from main points of interest/missions just to explore the game.

Can I say how much I LOVE that the horse has a pack on it? It's such an insignificant detail that just goes so far in pulling me into the idea that this game is an adventure. 

It gives you this fantastic sense of, "the road is your home" and I just love that idea as a whole. 

Edit: 

Huh?

ehhh_by_magichatpoof-d7m0pl5.png

Okay, but he still looks like a she.

Link gets more feminine with each game. I actually like it.

hyrule_warriors1.jpg

Even gets the hots from his enemies.

Ghirahim.gif

It's quite possibly a mistranslation, but the main gist of things is that it's very much in-engine, and at least part of it is obviously gameplay.