Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

Should prolly spoiler tag that since it was leaked.  Too late for me now but I'd have rather not known, that's just killed part of the unknownness of exploring the world unless it turns out to be an established story thing early on.

4 major dungeons? Is that not kind of low? Admittedly, I haven't played every 3D Zelda, but I'm sure there are normally more than that. I assume they'll be more expansive then.

EDIT: I guess the mini-dungeons make up for it, but still... it depends how 'mini' they are.

27 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Should prolly spoiler tag that since it was leaked.  Too late for me now but I'd have rather not known, that's just killed part of the unknownness of exploring the world unless it turns out to be an established story thing early on.

I was just putting two and two together with the poster @Josh posted, didn't mean to spoil anything. :( The link I posted is from a rumor last Summer which many wrote off. 

7 minutes ago, Pawn said:

4 major dungeons? Is that not kind of low? Admittedly, I haven't played every 3D Zelda, but I'm sure there are normally more than that. I assume they'll be more expansive then.

EDIT: I guess the mini-dungeons make up for it, but still... it depends how 'mini' they are.

For what it's worth, Majora's Mask only had four major dungeons.

• Thumbs Up 5

The assertion I made lies under the assumption that the four giants on the poster are in fact the aforementioned dungeons mentioned in the rumor/leak. There could have been a misunderstanding, so we don't actually know this as a fact. It's speculation.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think four dungeons made sense when we first heard that rumour, so some potential evidence isn't too surprising. The world is huge and there's tons of mini-dungeons, so not having too many main ones just kinda...fits? That said, I'll also suggest it's possible there'll be a mid-game twist where it turns out there's like, three or four more dungeons to go to, since that's something of a tradition in this series.

And all that said, you can apparently go straight to Ganon from the start, so depending on how you play the game, you might only need to deal with one dungeon--Hyrule Castle. (And that's assuming it even is treated like a dungeon ala TP, which I think will be the case since Ganon's there again, but who knows?)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still curious as to why they allowed us the choice to skip everything and just beat ganon from the get go. Feels kinda wrong to do imo.

To be fair, they never explicitly said you could defeat Ganon, just that you can make your way over there and fight him.

Here's what he said on the issue.

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles. Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user. Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities. Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that."

The fact that he says "it's not impossible" lends me to wanting to believe you can technically beat Ganon without actually going through the story and dungeons proper. However, it'll be really difficult to actually pull off, hence him saying that a person who does such is either a really good gamer or just crazy. With Hyrule Castle in the visible difference, there's been no hint of a challenge worth merit that prevents any player from simply physically arriving there-- Get some food, get off the plateau, tame a horse, and ride there.

40 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Here's what he said on the issue.

The fact that he says "it's not impossible" lends me to wanting to believe you can technically beat Ganon without actually going through the story and dungeons proper. However, it'll be really difficult to actually pull off, hence him saying that a person who does such is either a really good gamer or just crazy. With Hyrule Castle in the visible difference, there's been no hint of a challenge worth merit that prevents any player from simply physically arriving there-- Get some food, get off the plateau, tame a horse, and ride there.

And get brutally slaughtered

• Thumbs Up 2

Now I kinda scared, what if you play the game with all of the story, and Ganon gets to be too easy to beat?

Why would they not balance the game in a way to make sure Ganon is a proper challenge for players going the long route?

13 hours ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Now I kinda scared, what if you play the game with all of the story, and Ganon gets to be too easy to beat?

You should be thinking the opposite. Ganon is gonna be super fucking EXTRA hard to beat if you don't do any of the dungeons and normal difficulty if you do the game as intended.

The thing is that Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, but the reward of getting all of the masks is a mask that makes the climatic final boss 30 seconds to beat. Is optional, but still. I want a battle that takes time and skill to beat even if is with the 100 shrines beaten and full equipment... somehow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the primary reward from the shrines is knowing the full story.

As for the dungeons, anyone notice what looks like a Fire Temple or Goron Mines in the trailer? That looks like a dungeon to me. I do think the rumor is based on the four giants, but I doubt those are the only dungeons. Especially when Aonuma confirmed traditional dungeons are present, and those giants aren't traditional dungeons.

20 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

let's hope it doesn't take place in the sewers then

I'm reporting you.

Now that I think about it we haven't seen much in the way of water exploration. Aside from the raft anyways. I wonder what the swimming controls will be like. And since you can have armor pieces, do you think the iron boots will be present as armor instead of an item? Maybe they'll still be heavy but not, like, slow you to a crawl heavy?

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

I think the primary reward from the shrines is knowing the full story.

On the contrary, I think Shrines are going to be for more incidental upgrades, since there's over 100 of them. I think the dungeons will serve their traditional purpose of being the links for the main story, with the Goddess statues perhaps providing flashbacks in addition to life upgrades.

When you play your first time through, you guys think you'll hit all the important story pieces or miss a few by accident? With how this game is described, doesn't seem that linear unraveling the mysteries of this story. Like just cause you find Zelda and that stuff starts, doesn't mean the game suddenly becomes clear and straightforward continuing on with the story outside her story relevence for example. You may need to find some other area to meet some of the the plot important characters I'm guessing.

I think the story will be clear in guiding you on where you need to go, because it's Nintendo; they're not going to hide the necessary bits of lore within the overworld without any clear guidance on how to discover them. We see this in the beginning where the Old Man and Zelda guide you towards the shrines and towers, and Kass blatantly tells you where a potential dungeon entrance is in the jungle. 

However, I think the design structure of the game means you can deviate from the linear story. Zelda will tell you where to go, but you don't have to follow her directions to technically beat the game.

So, in the trailer we see Link fighting this guy:
LCgmOyf.png

On the map posted earlier, you can see people resembling this one standing on each of the 4 beasts. They also seem to be wearing upside-down Sheikah Eyes masks. And we know the Guardians are Sheikah technology.

Maybe these are Sheikah that betrayed the royal family and helped Ganon destroy Hyrule?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

I think the story will be clear in guiding you on where you need to go, because it's Nintendo; they're not going to hide the necessary bits of lore within the overworld without any clear guidance on how to discover them. We see this in the beginning where the Old Man and Zelda guide you towards the shrines and towers, and Kass blatantly tells you where a potential dungeon entrance is in the jungle. 

However, I think the design structure of the game means you can deviate from the linear story. Zelda will tell you where to go, but you don't have to follow her directions to technically beat the game.

So kinda similar to elder scrolls or most open world games.