Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

I just realized something weird about this game (I'm not reading spoilers).

Have we seen any hint of the Triforce outside of its bearers being in the game or it being a decorative element? It's been completely absent from the context of this game. And with four dungeons being there, you can't easily say each piece will be a dungeon reward. Mayhaps it's inside Hyrule Castle itself, and Link just needs to get his butt there eventually to utilize it.

Spoilers are coming out now? Right media blackout for me then. It's only a month and a half away(!) and have seen enough to keep me going til Switch launch day. 

Trying to keep my expectations in check. Really have a feeling this one will do well, please don't disappoint me like with the last 3 console titles!

We've got a high-quality map of Hyrule from Amazon and it has some region names:

Spoiler

gQFrNtt.jpg

Spoiler

We've got the known ones like Faron, Lanayru and Eldin, the obvious Central Hyrule, but we've also now got Hebra, Necluda and I think Altum.

Also, some decent screenshots and even some good comparisons between the Switch and Wii U versions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336281

On 1/15/2017 at 2:35 PM, Marcello said:

So, in the trailer we see Link fighting this guy:
LCgmOyf.png

On the map posted earlier, you can see people resembling this one standing on each of the 4 beasts. They also seem to be wearing upside-down Sheikah Eyes masks. And we know the Guardians are Sheikah technology.

Maybe these are Sheikah that betrayed the royal family and helped Ganon destroy Hyrule?

Or it's a training ground, previous games have had :Link trained by Sheikah

Spoiler

ONE

HUNDRED

AND

TWENTY

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY

MINI DUNGEONS

NINE 

HUNDRED

NINE HUNDRED

KOROK PUZZLES

• Thumbs Up 6

As someone who has played a fair amount of open world games (and is particularly tired of Ubisoft's efforts), I'm a little concerned about the emphasis on quantity (the map; the dungeons; now the puzzles) with this game. I'm more hopeful than worried, though, as the game does look exciting otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Pawn said:

As someone who has played a fair amount of open world games (and is particularly tired of Ubisoft's efforts), I'm a little concerned about the emphasis on quantity (the map; the dungeons; now the puzzles) with this game. I'm more hopeful than worried, though, as the game does look exciting otherwise.

Yeah, its a minor worry (since I'm pretty sure Aonuma and co. actually know what they're doing with this) but I'm really hoping this game doesn't fall into the trap of doing lots of things only for all of them to be mediocre at best when actually playing it.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a minor worry of mine as well. 

I'm hoping the main quest is strong so you can play it like a normal Zelda, if you'd like. I plan on doing everything, but I think this style of game could easily appeal to most of the fans if done right.

18 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

I just realized something weird about this game (I'm not reading spoilers).

Have we seen any hint of the Triforce outside of its bearers being in the game or it being a decorative element? 

I remember reading on BotW's Link amiibo that Link is imbued with the powers of Wisdom, Courage and Strength/Power, which is weird because don't Ganon(dorf), Zelda & Link only hold one piece of the Triforce each? So why would Link end up with all 3? 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Lady Soniko said:

I remember reading on BotW's Link amiibo that Link is imbued with the powers of Wisdom, Courage and Strength/Power, which is weird because don't Ganon(dorf), Zelda & Link only hold one piece of the Triforce each? So why would Link end up with all 3? 

Ok, there's a couple things wrong with this.

First of all, yes, Link, Zelda, and Ganon have a strong association with the Triforces of Courage, Wisdom, and Power respectively, but that doesn't automatically mean they possess those particular pieces of the Triforce, nor does it mean they can't possess the pieces they're not associated with.

Secondly, "power, wisdom, and courage" don't always refer to the pieces of the Triforce.  The Zelda series has a habit of using them as general virtues, and they've become a major recurring theme of the series.

Long story short, if something says Link has power, wisdom, and courage, that just means he has the virtues of the Triforce.  It doesn't automatically mean he has the Triforce itself.

6 hours ago, Pawn said:

I don't blame you at all. Funnily enough, I think there's going to be a good deal of fun found in just messing around with the game's physics, to the point where I actually kind of feel like the emphasis on those things just striaght up...isn't necessary on Nintendo's part? But I guess that's hype for ya. XP

2 hours ago, Lady Soniko said:

Ganondorf doesn't even seem to be like, a living being, so the nature of the Triforce may have changed. Maybe you get to collect it yourself again?

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe that's what you get from the main dungeons. Seems sensible enough.

Though that leaves the fourth one...unless Hyrule Castle is a dungeon ala TP again and it's counted as one of the four? (Granted, I know that number of main dungeons hasn't been confirmed yet.)

1 hour ago, G-Force said:

Ok, there's a couple things wrong with this.

First of all, yes, Link, Zelda, and Ganon have a strong association with the Triforces of Courage, Wisdom, and Power respectively, but that doesn't automatically mean they possess those particular pieces of the Triforce, nor does it mean they can't possess the pieces they're not associated with.

Secondly, "power, wisdom, and courage" don't always refer to the pieces of the Triforce.  The Zelda series has a habit of using them as general virtues, and they've become a major recurring theme of the series.

Long story short, if something says Link has power, wisdom, and courage, that just means he has the virtues of the Triforce.  It doesn't automatically mean he has the Triforce itself.

I'm not going to argue but they do hold a piece each of the Triforce itself, this is why Ganon always wants Zelda, for her piece to accompany his. Link usually ends up obtaining his piece later down the line, it's been like this ever since OoT and various games after, hell Link has to piece his own Triforce shard together himself in Wind Waker. So sure it's a broad term used throughout the series to describe Link, but several times it's also been that those 3 characters represent those pieces of the triforce, and why pretty much why they'll always be tied to one another in some form throughout every generation of Zelda. Ganon always represents Power, Zelda always represents Wisdom and Link will always represent Courage, the 3 elements of the Triforce.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Ganondorf doesn't even seem to be like, a living being, so the nature of the Triforce may have changed. Maybe you get to collect it yourself again?

I hope so? I mean the Triforce is always used as arbitrary reason Ganon wants to seize Hyrule, to gain the power the God's bestowed on the people, I'd like to see what happens when Hyrule is left to fend for itself with no Hero and no Ganon and how this reflects the triforce if it's even in the game or if they've got a reason for why it's not around.

Needless to say I haven't been this excited for a Zelda title, ever.

8 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:
  Hide contents

ONE

HUNDRED

AND

TWENTY

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY

MINI DUNGEONS

Spoiler

I predict a Mass Effect-style slew of identikit mini-dungeons, for the most part completely lacking in aesthetic diversity.

11 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:
  Reveal hidden contents

ONE

HUNDRED

AND

TWENTY

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY

MINI DUNGEONS

NINE 

HUNDRED

NINE HUNDRED

KOROK PUZZLES

Spoiler

The lack of full dungeons in that description has me a bit worried.

Woah, some more footage, and boy is this game dynamic, Rain can put out your bomb arrows! Also massive horse taming fail and instadeath from a guardian

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Game is beatable in 15 minutes, among other things in this interview.

I'd imagine you'd either have to be lucky/insane, or know where a OP weapon is

24 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

I'd imagine you'd either have to be lucky/insane, or know where a OP weapon is

I wonder how long it will be before we see the first speedrun takedown of the final boss on YouTube. 

Dropping this here.

Spoiler

After seeing the backstory for the game on that little poster or whatever included in the special version and knowing what I do now about the game, I think one thing that has pushed Ganon into his state now where he's essentially "DESTROY EVERYTHING" instead of wanting to conquer is the fact that not only did the clans of Hyrule stand up against him, but the Gerudo themselves have been confirmed to have been a part of the retaliation and now they seem to live in peace with other clans, with the Gerudo seeming to appear as a mixed species now hinting at their close mingling with Hylians.

With his own people standing up against him and working with other clans to take him down, I think this left a pretty massive wound inside of Ganon since originally it was for them he repeatedly attempted to take, and in time, restore Hyrule depending on the timeline...

With his own people against him, I guess he no longer sees any value or worth in anything and has finally decided to just lose himself and destroy everything since he has nobody to rule anything for.