Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

New Famitsu information concerning details on Zelda and the side characters.

Spoiler

Zelda is the princess of the destroyed Hyrule kingdom. She goes to investigate ancient ruins scattered around the world. Famitsu says she’s a wise and curious girl, but also has a deep complexity.

Mifa is a Zora girl who lives in Hyrule. She has a special power that no other Zoras have, but perhaps due to that she’s somewhat introverted and doesn’t talk much. Famitsu wonders how she will use the spear she’s wielding.

Darkel (or literally Darukeru) is a Goron warrior who lives in the mountains of Hyrule. He’s normally calm, but when entering battles, he changes into a very brave warrior that screams loudly while sweeping away enemies.

Finally, Reebal is a member of the bird-like Rito tribe which lives in the skies of Hyrule. He is spotted wearing the same blue scarf as Darkel and Mifa, and each of them also wield different weapons.

Spoiler

I shouldn't feel this vindicated for calling the bird people Rito, but here I am. Feeling vindicated.

Spoiler

I mean, why did people think they WEREN'T Rito? Because they look more bird-like? The look of the races changes with every game because Nintendo honestly gives no fucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I thought maybe their similarity to the Loftwings was intentional and they could have gone somewhere with that but I guess not. Whoops.

Spoiler

The same people would never have assumed this wasn't a Zora:

5c90813246be75953c9444f8ea309270203d9735

So I don't get it, either.

Also I love the details but I also would have liked it if we didn't hear any of the story or background. I kinda was hoping to discover that on my own. Not blaming you guys, blaming Nintendo for letting this info out. I only skimmed some of the article; is there anything seriously spoileriffic?

it's just character descriptions nevermind lol

Rito and Korok...

I'd still like to think we're branching into an all new "alternate timeline" scenario where Ganon had his wish granted toward the end of Wind Waker thus the Korok, the Rito, the Sea Salt, the murky/swampy landscape around Hyrule Castle, etc.

But... That's just my VERY wishful thinking of more building going on with the Wind Waker portion of the franchise.

28 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:
  Hide contents

The same people would never have assumed this wasn't a Zora:

5c90813246be75953c9444f8ea309270203d9735

So I don't get it, either.

Also I love the details but I also would have liked it if we didn't hear any of the story or background. I kinda was hoping to discover that on my own. Not blaming you guys, blaming Nintendo for letting this info out. I only skimmed some of the article; is there anything seriously spoileriffic?

it's just character descriptions nevermind lol

Spoiler

I said that was a Zora :-/

I don't think there's been such an extreme change of look since the Zoras going from LTTP to OOT. And even they're considered different types of Zoras nowadays. I wonder if they'll do the same here.

On a different note, (Switch Superbowl trailer spoilers)

Spoiler

That Cyclops we've seen in trailers is a Hinox from LTTP. Its name was in the Switch Superbowl trailer. I thought it was some new Moblin thing due to its pig-like features...

10 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:
Spoiler

Rito and Korok...

I'd still like to think we're branching into an all new "alternate timeline" scenario where Ganon had his wish granted toward the end of Wind Waker thus the Korok, the Rito, the Sea Salt, the murky/swampy landscape around Hyrule Castle, etc.

But... That's just my VERY wishful thinking of more building going on with the Wind Waker portion of the franchise. 

Spoiler

Anything goes, I guess, but in the WW timeline the Zora became the Rito, but here they exist simultaneously.

Just now, Marcello said:
  Hide contents

Anything goes, I guess, but in the WW timeline the Zora became the Rito, but here they exist simultaneously.

I dunno, it's extremely possible the Zora race DID still exist but never revealed themselves. We've had different Zora species coexisting before, so it's not impossible for some to be Rito and others, the sea-originating Zora, being shown in BoTW.

Oh my God:

:lol:

11 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:
Spoiler

I dunno, it's extremely possible the Zora race DID still exist but never revealed themselves. We've had different Zora species coexisting before, so it's not impossible for some to be Rito and others, the sea-originating Zora, being shown in BoTW.

Spoiler

It might've just been a theory, but I've read that the Goddesses turned them into Rito so that Hyrule would remain inaccessible. I wonder why there's the split here.

The only reason I was sceptical of the birds being Rito was the fact that they're supposed to be (at least in the adult timeline) evolved forms of Zora.  Maybe they exist here together because it's a different timeline, such as the fallen one?  I don't know, I just wish Aonuma would put us out of our misery, or at least give us a teenie, tiny hint.

I don't see how this game could take place in any other time line then the adult one right now, the evidence is so overwhelming that I'll be surprised if that isn't the case 

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

I don't see how this game could take place in any other time line then the adult one right now, the evidence is so overwhelming that I'll be surprised if that isn't the case 

Other than the fact that Aonuma outright denied it?

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

Other than the fact that Aonuma outright denied it?

I didn't recall that being said anywhere? 

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

I didn't recall that being said anywhere? 

Its not hard to find.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/272641-aonuma-on-zelda-botw-wind-waker-influence-the-feeling-of-zeld

I will be very frank with you, for each Zelda that we realized, we always picked up elements of Zelda passed to refresh them in the new episodes. As you can see for yourself, in Breath of the Wild we used a graphic style that is very close to animation. It has therefore been assumed that it would be much simpler to take up graphic elements and assets from Wind Waker, rather than from other episodes. It is actually a graphic point of view that the two are very similar, but if you talk about the scenario, to be honest, there is no particular connection between these two games. Graphically, it was much simpler for us to work on the basics of the graphical elements of Wind Waker.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/zelda-breath-wild-aonuma-porting-game-switch-sheikah-tablet-dlc/

If there’s one element long-time fans of the series haven’t missed in the trailers/videos for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it’s the various elements from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, such as the Koroks or the Deku Tree seeds. When asked whether that meant there was a link between the two games, Aonuma confirmed that… there wasn’t any.

First of all, he explains that they’ve always taken various elements from previous Zelda games, in order to “refresh” them in later games. As for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild specifically, one of the reasons there’s so many elements from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is because both use a similar art-style, similar to Japanese animation.

Therefore, it was much easier for the team to use elements and assets from that game in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. As far the story goes, there is no real link (pun semi-intended) between the two games.

Regarding the timeline, Aonuma refused to say much, since he wants fans to find out things by themselves. That being said, he did mention one of the clues from previous trailers/videos, such as the woman’s voice mentioning the battles against Ganon.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/20/legend-zelda-producer-aonuma-talks-breath-wilds-place-series-timeline/

Aonuma: I wouldn’t say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you’ll be able to work out where it fits. As you probably saw in the trailer, the most recent trailer, there’s a woman’s voice, and she says: “The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of the Calamity Ganon.” And as you know, the Zelda series, up until now, is a history of repeated attacks by Ganon. So, there’s food for thought there. I don’t want to say anything more as I’d like players to work it out for themselves, to play the game and see what they think.

To be frank, there's no real way it can be set after Wind Waker. Hyrule is completely obliterated by King Daphnes' wish. And there's no context this game fits well prior to Wind Waker, either. But Aonuma's statements about no story connection to Wind Waker and saying the "repeated attacks" by Ganon being important story elements further deny a Wind Waker connection.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/aonuma-zelda-u-will-make-people-want-to-replay-twilight-princess-hd-titles/

While making the latest title for The Legend of Zelda, when I look at this remake, I feel like this is the origin point of the new title we’re making right now. After playing this game you may have some “Oh I see!” moments when playing the [upcoming] new game, so I’ll be glad if you play Twilight Princess HD while waiting in anticipation for the latest title of Legend of Zelda.

Then there's this statement, which hints at some TP connection. Not necessarily story-related, but it shows a huge contrast to his comments on Wind Waker.

Stephen-Colbert-Takes-Off-Glasses-and-Sh

Why would they put out any dungeons and bosses a month before release? Why do this to anyone? Why?

16 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Stephen-Colbert-Takes-Off-Glasses-and-Sh

Why would they put out any dungeons and bosses a month before release? Why do this to anyone? Why?

Welcome to modern [Nintendo] marketing.

They're as mysterious as possible about the game until just before the game comes out, at which point they just throw everything out there because, uh...????

• Thumbs Up 1

"Zelda can get mad at you and scold you"

Welp, game of the year right there. Although does that mean Zelda follows you temporarily?

^ dunno if this needs to be spoiled or not but it isn't related to the dungeon thing, so

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, God Eater Lenka said:

Hide contents

"Zelda can get mad at you and scold you"

Welp, game of the year right there. Although does that mean Zelda follows you temporarily?

^ dunno if this needs to be spoiled or not but it isn't related to the dungeon thing, so

I think they're referring to

Spoiler

the voice that calls out to Link at the start of the game. Supposedly GameInformer confirmed somewhere that it was Zelda? Maybe it was his line taken out of context. Not sure.

11 hours ago, Josh said:

A picture of one of the bosses has slipped out as well. 

Hide contents

Gonna try and go on media blackout after this, but I have no self control so who knows how that's gonna go.

Boss thought:

Spoiler

If this is "Wind Blight Ganon," I wonder if this Hyrule uses "Ganon" as a generic synonym for "demon."