Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

I feel like "modern Zelda" might be more difficult to realise than people necessarily think, but I definitely think it's doable - particularly if they approach it, as they would, from a more oblique direction than just transplanting an ordinary modern-day or cyberpunk city into a Zelda game.  Something like BotW taken to its logical conclusion, with a whole world built on Sheikah technology, would be quite intriguing, I think.

I could see them doing aliens in Zelda, too, though probably not at the same time as modern Zelda (...maybe space Zelda).  Mario & Luigi and Kid Icarus both managed to pull off an alien invasion plotline, so I'm sure Zelda could manage it and provide us with something suitably alien and unknown without it feeling inappropriate to the broader fantasy or quasi-fantasy aesthetic.

Honestly, I would LOVE a "modern Zelda" as a spinoff game. NOT as a main game, though.

Aliens would probably work ok-ish in any Zelda game. Technically they were in Majora's Mask...

57 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Only if those were for the Wii U version.

This. For the Switch version its about what I expected. Most impressive is, from what I'm hearing, the review average on metacritic is around 98 out of 50+ (currently 56) reviews. OOT's 99 is only from 22 reviews. Even if it drops to 97, its still actually BETTER than OOT on average.

5 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Only if those were for the Wii U version.

You really over exaggerate  the Wii U's "inferiority"

Its the same fantastically made game with a bit less fidelity overall. At most you'll probably see a five point difference in the meta critical score 

The Switch version is literally a slightly upscaled port of the Wii U version. Same content and mostly the same stability. So the reviews are still applicable.

Hahahahahaha we got a "Greatest Game of All Time" contender on the fucking Wii U hahahahahahaha

• Thumbs Up 3

Reviewers have said that the Switch version has little framerate issues on handheld mode. Considering playing the game that way with my headphones in instead of the big screen.

Haha

Man, I hope Zelda arrives tomorrow, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait until Monday.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Special Edition game from Gamestop has finally shipped. Not that it matters, I'm heading out tomorrow morning to grab a copy on Wii U.

Got a message from bestbuy saying I can pick up my special edition tonight! Can't wait.....but my switch itself wont be here until tomorrow (amazon), so no playing Zelda until later.

But I'm still hyped :D

Ok, this is nuts

KrQXDsR.png

In the top ZERO.ZERO percent of games on opencritic. also says 100% of reviewers recommend this game.

We are witnessing something really special here. People must have had the same feelings when The Legend of Zelda came out on NES 31 years ago. Nintendo has regained the spark that made them legendary in the past. Thanks to this game, I have a really good feeling about the future. Here's to 31 more great years!

Spoiler

Personally from what I've seen to me it definitely isn't perfect. Keep in mind I'm only going off a walkthrough I've been watching. thoughts are subject to change if I play it. For one I don't enjoy some of the voice acting(like the king). The excess to which weapons will frequently break also kinda is a meh point to me. I know it's incentive to try new things, but I was never a fan of when games went extreme with it. The framerate on the U chugs bad when you're in specific areas like towns. As a open world game it's large, and there are things to do and see, but idk so far, I'm not finding it super massively engaging in every way. Perhaps it's the over saturated marketed of open world, maybe it's that I've not been a big fan of that style lately outside Bethesda titles, but idk I'm not loosing my shit for this. And, small thing, but certain traditions being broken kinda sadden me(heart pieces, chest opening cutscene, small things like that. ) It's definitely a good looking Zelda game from what I'm seeing don't get me wrong, perhaps the best in a long time, but eh, it's not capturing me, I'm in no rush to get a Wii U or Switch for this. I'll do a updated impressions when I've picked up the game, as immersing myself in its gameplay personally may change my stances on certain things.  Oh and fucking finally a jump!

Thoughts on it(watched a walkthrough keep in mind)

And to answer the question, yes, it definitely beats SS to the ground. Curbstomps that fucker and makes it eat dirt.

Thoughts after playing for 7-8 hours? I dunno

Spoiler

+combat is great. the basic sword stuff is alright but i used weirder methods and got rewarded for it often which is great. weapon degradation hasn't been a big problem surprisingly, but i found some really good ones early on that lasted most of my play session
+the two towns I visited were some of the liveliest in the series. Each NPC had a schedule for the day, a lot of them had unique designs and charm. obviously since there's no central town to focus all their efforts into they're not gonna be as fleshed out but i'm glad to see them trying.
+The shrines have some REALLY clever puzzles with multiple solutions instead of the static way of solving puzzles from before. The physics based puzzles and rune stuff add a lot. These are probably the best puzzles in a long time.
+little to no handholding. At most, characters can mark a point on your map but you can also stop them from doing this. a lot of characters don't do it regardless and attempt to give you actual directions instead, telling you to head north and make a left when you get past the mountains etc. this trust in the player is really appreciated. 
+game looks pretty nice. I've had little to no framerate issues since i left the plateau. 
+Enemy variety is decent so far, i see some enemies a LOT more frequently than others though.
+game rewards exploration pretty well. If you see an interesting structure in the distance odds are there's a reward for exploring it, whether it be a shrine that also acts as a fast travel point, a weapon, food etc.
+Voice acting is solid except for...well, I'll get to that in a second.
+not a lot of plot stuff so far but what's there is well written and interesting
+open world in general is full of interesting stuff so far

-I've been to maybe 10-12 shrines so far and I'm already bored of the aesthetic. There's over 100 of these. hooo boy. 
-The soundtrack isn't doing anything for me so far. The songs in the villages are kind of nice but that's it so far. 
-Ir takes a bit too long to get places sometimes, especially if you end up losing your horse for whatever reason
-Zelda's voice kind of sucks

Overall good shit son with a few hiccups.

Digital Foundry uploaded a new comparison between the Wii U and Switch versions:

It would seem that Wii U owners don't get the short end of the stick after all. There's little difference between the two (at least when the Switch is docked).

Oof I really didn't want to resort to this but I don't want to risk any spoilers of looking up a guide and I have been stuck on this puzzle for an entire hour, throwing everything I have at it and exploring every area I can think of and nothing.

If anyone here has beaten the Zora-related dungeon:

How on earth do you get the terminal going around in the smaller waterwheel in the big main area?  I can't use magnesis or stasis or anything, nothing seems bombable, cryosis and ice arrows don't do anything to help stop the waterflow, and the position of the beast's trunk or the state of the larger waterwheel doesn't seem to affect it, and there's no wall patterning or anything to suggest it is linked to a mechanic elsewhere in the dungeon.  Of course, I even tried brute-forcing it by mashing A next to it as it rises out of the water but it is not vertical enough to interact with.  I am completely stumped.

31 minutes ago, Josh said:

WAIT I FIGURED IT OUT

@JezMMe

Hide contents

Use crynosis on the water source.

Thanks!  Damn that is unintuitive though.

It's never been suggested that you can use it on flowing water or vertical surfaces before...

Well, I can finally progress later lol.

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Hide contents

It's never been suggested that you can use it on flowing water or vertical surfaces before...

Spoiler

One of the shrines has you use it on a verical surface so it clicked for me. I don't know how you'd figure it out if you missed it tho

8 minutes ago, Josh said:
  Hide contents

One of the shrines has you use it on a verical surface so it clicked for me. I don't know how you'd figure it out if you missed it tho

Ahh I guess that makes sense then.  I haven't encountered such a shrine yet.  Maybe next time I have a moment like this I'll excercise patience and do it the old fashioned way and try and explore/play other areas in the hope of gaining the knowledge I need.

I dunno. Never played a Zelda before and the three hours into the playthrough I'm watching, despite the funny commentary, isn't selling me on it. If it's as perfect as everyone says maybe I'll get it some time way down the line. 

14 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I dunno. Never played a Zelda before and the three hours into the playthrough I'm watching, despite the funny commentary, isn't selling me on it. If it's as perfect as everyone says maybe I'll get it some time way down the line. 

Watching a playthrough of this game to get an idea of the experience playing it provides is like rooting through the dumpster of a gourmet restaurant to get an idea of the experience eating gourmet food provides.

I know, games are investments and there is always a skepticism towards the hyped ones, some people just can't believe it but don't want to put down the payment to try a game, but it's just a reality of the fact that gaming is an interactive medium, and some games more than others NEED the intended experience to judge accordingly.

Honestly every moment one spends watching footage of this game that they haven't experienced first-hand* are robbing themselves a moment of the intended experience.  Every aspect of the game, even the story, is anchored in a theme of discovery.

*This applies to current players too - continue to be careful about what you watch.  I watched a spoiler-free graphics comparison video between Wii U and Switch the other day just using footage from the first hour of the game... and I had a special enemy type spoiled in this footage that I haven't encountered in my 20ish hours of playing so far!!

• Thumbs Up 1