Jump to content
Nintendoga

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Watching a playthrough of this game to get an idea of the experience playing it provides is like rooting through a gourmet restaurant's dumpster out back to get an idea of the experience eating it provides.

I know, games are investments and there is always a skepticalism towards the great ones, some people just can't believe it but don't want to put down the payment to try a game, but it's just a reality of the fact that gaming is an interactive medium, and some games more than others NEED the full experience to appreciate.

You sure rooting through a gourmet restaurant's dumpster is the analogy you want to go with? Maybe perhaps watching other people eat it when it's being served at the dinner table would make more sense.

Anyway, I already know there's some truth to that... but, fact of the matter is, despite being an interactive medium, I still have to be sold on it through the lens of an onlooker before I purchase it. Looking at similar games and being interested in them without directly interacting with them has happened before. It's kind of what the point of gameplay footage and trailers are. Often how well it'll mirror you're experience when you actually do play it accounts for a lot more than people like to credit.

I'm just not the kind of person whose on board with the general public in most situations anyway so I guess this'll be another situation where I'm trying to force myself to get hip with the in crowd. 

Not totally disinterested though. I can see me picking this up one day in the distant future at a discount. If Nintendo ever does that... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

You sure rooting through a gourmet restaurant's dumpster is the analogy you want to go with? Maybe perhaps watching other people eat it when it's being served at the dinner table would make more sense.

Hmm, fair enough actually, coz I have an apt addition - you only get to watch what they eat, and the menu is huge.  You have no idea what else is on offer from watching them, since half the point of going to a restaurant is getting to choose for yourself what you eat, how you eat it, etc.

But yeah, game trailers and footage and such does exist for that reason but... only for lack of anything better really.  And it affects some games worse than others - I feel BotW is definitely a major case of that.  It's a game focused on exploring and discovery, and literally 0% of that experience makes it through the gameplay -> video footage conversion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I let my little brother play while I was in the shower, and he said he found a special monster.

Spoiler

Some kind of Wyvern, he said. He took a picture but it kinda blends into the background. I think it might've been Lanayru or something? Pretty cool either way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of wolves, I was surrounded by like 5 of them with a fuckton of bokoblins not far behind. Low health, all my good weapons were gone except for this fire sword I had found earlier.

I hit one of the wolves with the sword, set it's corpse and the surrounding area on on fire and used the updraft to get the FUCK out of there. Updrafts have been my friend in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing this since Friday evening, and for all my running around, I haven't even taken on any story objectives since leaving the plateau. In that time, I've tamed two horses (Clover and Cyan), cleared about twelve shrine trials (not including the initial ones), activated four towers, and otherwise just held A LOT of L's as I just ran around this massive game. And I've been having a blast the whole time.

Now, I did say I was going straight for the final boss as soon as I had the ability to leave, but that's easier said than done. Not only because it's a long trek, but there's soooo many little distractions in this game that I can't help but run off to the side and see what's there, only to get sidetracked (and, in many cases, jumped). There's also the fact that there's a bunch of Guardians running around near the Central Tower (which took me a few tries to get to). While I'm starting to pick up the timing to avoid their lasers, it's still pretty difficult to get away from them, and I'm certainly not equipped to actually battle them. I'll be glad when I finally get a weapon that can destroy them. At least I have a fast travel point if I want to make another attempt.

There are a few things that bug me, namely how small my weapon inventory seems to be, how fragile the weapons are (or perhaps I'm just especially reckless) with currently no way of repairing them, the stamina meter sometimes feels like a hindrance (more so than in Skyward Sword, but that game offered pick ups that instantly regenerated your stamina, though in fairness this game does offer methods of increasing your stamina and has other recovery options if you get really into the cooking), and that certain things don't feel very clearly explained. A lot of this I think I can attribute to me still learning the system and being more used to traditional Zelda experiences. It's also taking a lot of getting used to needing to cook/craft healing items as well as finding stuff to sell due to the scarcity of hearts and Rupees.

All in all, I'm really loving the game so far. I like that it feels like the next step up from what A Link Between Worlds did by making all the tools available to the player early and letting them choose which dungeon/area they approach first as well as a healthy dose of Xenoblade influence in terms of a massive, near seamless world with a ton of variety that encourages exploring every little corner (the former actually had Monolith assisting the development). I don't even feel discouraged getting defeated in battle (I also have a bit of an ego and like getting my revenge on those enemies), if only because the game doesn't push you that far back usually. Hopefully the more I play, the better tools I'll come across. I think I'll try to focus for a bit and start looking at the story objectives now that I've gotten a taste of some of the major areas and set up a few warp points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hesitant of the idea of handing out all the items from the get go because that was part of what made ALBW such a cakewalk but this game handles it masterfully by just upping the amount of optional challenges to an insane degree. The fact that it's optional means the challenges can be as hard as they want, too. Despite clinging to the same moveset for most of the game shrines and environmental puzzles keep forcing me to think of new ways of using them, even if it's something as simple as using the fact that the runes highlight metal to find a clue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Josh said:

Speaking of wolves, I was surrounded by like 5 of them with a fuckton of bokoblins not far behind. Low health, all my good weapons were gone except for this fire sword I had found earlier.

I hit one of the wolves with the sword, set it's corpse and the surrounding area on on fire and used the updraft to get the FUCK out of there. Updrafts have been my friend in this game.

OK I literally had no idea that was even a option??? Jesus christ people keep discovering hew tech and it's crazy lol

Also God damn is this game unforgivable with the items. Not only do they break so easily but you're given such small inventory (even after I've had it increased), I've already made several tough choices in giving up good weapons for critical ones needed to progress, I really wish there was a weapon bank or something xp

I assume the master sword, wherever it rests, will be the only "unbreakable" weapon in the game proper and maybe there's some other ultra rare unbreakable items you'll have to slave over to obtain 

Also @Nepenthe hoe for you upload to miiverse? I never used it for picture uploading and I've been taking pictures of the characters for reference material so id like to save them a computer (damn my art tendencies) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2017 at 2:04 PM, JezMM said:

Thanks!  Damn that is unintuitive though.

  Hide contents

It's never been suggested that you can use it on flowing water or vertical surfaces before...

 

Well, I can finally progress later lol.

For the latter (in the spoiler)--

 

Spoiler

There's a shrine that requires you to use cryonis on a vertical surface. I think its the shrine next to Lurelin. It basically acts as a tutorial for it. To proceed through the shrine, there's a pool of water with a waterfall above. The second path required to go up, though, there's a waterfall and a bottomless pit, making me think "Oh, wait, I can use cryonis on waterfalls? Holy s***."

I ended up using this to climb the waterfalls above Lake Floria and get to a higher height.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

For the latter (in the spoiler)--

 

  Reveal hidden contents

There's a shrine that requires you to use cryonis on a vertical surface. I think its the shrine next to Lurelin. It basically acts as a tutorial for it. To proceed through the shrine, there's a pool of water with a waterfall above. The second path required to go up, though, there's a waterfall and a bottomless pit, making me think "Oh, wait, I can use cryonis on waterfalls? Holy s***."

I ended up using this to climb the waterfalls above Lake Floria and get to a higher height.

 

Yeah, I've visited this shrine now, the one by the Dueling Peaks stable right?  The reason I never did so before was because I figured I needed some kind of ability to get over the big rocky spikes blocking the entrance... I hadn't quite started "thinking with portals" yet regarding Link's ability to just climb up nearby scenery and glide down to secluded spots at the time, it's such a simple one to get inside in the end lol.

Having said that I almost want to say it's an awkward design, I've found all sorts of stables over Hyrule and thus far, that one... the one you're most likely to visit first and offers a valuable tutorial lesson... is the only shrine near a stable that offers a significant resistence to your entry.

 

As said, I'm sad I had to resort to asking for a tip on something in this game, but this one time offense has taught me that if I'm ever having trouble with something, I should set it aside and come back later - elsewhere in the game may give me the tools or knowledge that I need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished the water dungeon, though I've mostly been trying to get to as many shrines and towers as damn well possible this "early", and basically exploring, though I have been doing the main quest in bits and pieces. Also, holy shit, the 'boss' right before entering the dungeon is obvious bonus boss material, I tried taking him on several times before I decided to just stealth the encounter because he was functionally one-shotting me.

It is strange how difficult it is to find many shrines, mind you. My current goal is to find 40 more, but the less-obvious ones seem to be deviously hidden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Yeah, I've visited this shrine now, the one by the Dueling Peaks stable right?  The reason I never did so before was because I figured I needed some kind of ability to get over the big rocky spikes blocking the entrance... I hadn't quite started "thinking with portals" yet regarding Link's ability to just climb up nearby scenery and glide down to secluded spots at the time, it's such a simple one to get inside in the end lol.

Having said that I almost want to say it's an awkward design, I've found all sorts of stables over Hyrule and thus far, that one... the one you're most likely to visit first and offers a valuable tutorial lesson... is the only shrine near a stable that offers a significant resistence to your entry.

 

As said, I'm sad I had to resort to asking for a tip on something in this game, but this one time offense has taught me that if I'm ever having trouble with something, I should set it aside and come back later - elsewhere in the game may give me the tools or knowledge that I need.

I thought you were supposed to fly over those spikes as well, but it's in a pool of water, right? I just used Cryonis to make a platform for me and jump over!

Anywho, I've beaten the fire dungeon now, and I started exploring again. And as I was exploring, I found the Master Sword!

Spoiler

However, I can't pull it out. Link is too weak at the moment and pulling it out will kill me. I need more hearts I think. Either that or I just beat the Korok Trials. We'll see!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Soniman said:

Also @Nepenthe hoe for you upload to miiverse? I never used it for picture uploading and I've been taking pictures of the characters for reference material so id like to save them a computer (damn my art tendencies) 

Simply press the home button! It'll pause the game and take you to the menu. Hit the Miiverse icon at the bottom, and you'll immediately be taken to a posting screen with a screenshot of whatever was on your screen when you pushed the button. Simplez. Miiverse is also online, so you can download your pictures too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how open this game is with puzzle solutions. I just opened a shrine in an area that's perpetually storming by putting orbs in their holes. Some of the orbs were up on pillars I couldn't climb because of the rain, so I shot them down with arrows. Some of the orbs were off the little plateau where you place them and I couldn't find a route to walk up with them, so I stasis-launched them up there. I have no idea if either of those were the "right" solutions, but they worked, and it made me feel clever in a way previous Zelda puzzles don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal reflections with this game. This is only after completing one of the dungeons. In short, the best Zelda I've played in years. Probably of all time. Fixed plenty of the issues I had with the previous 3D games, the freedom of choice and interactivity in particular. 

You know you like it when reviewing it on Amazon ?:

"I had my concerns if Nintendo would pull off a massive open world game, but they were put to rest shortly after booting up the game for the first time.The map is enormous, but so much content for players exploring this world, to the point that its easy to forget your main objective with the side quests, shrines and collectibles. There is so much to find.

The different power ups and items Link receives throughout the adventure helps make the world feel like a massive playground.

The graphical art style is a sight to behold. It's hard to believe that this game looks this beautiful when played in handheld mode. The musical approach is unique but it works within the world. Through my experience it changes based on the situation, particularly when up against some of the game's bosses.

This is the main game anyone should buy when purchasing a Switch, first time I have played witness to a launch title of this caliber since Super Mario 64. Just rating it 5 stars would be an injustice to this game."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

I love how open this game is with puzzle solutions. I just opened a shrine in an area that's perpetually storming by putting orbs in their holes. Some of the orbs were up on pillars I couldn't climb because of the rain, so I shot them down with arrows. Some of the orbs were off the little plateau where you place them and I couldn't find a route to walk up with them, so I stasis-launched them up there. I have no idea if either of those were the "right" solutions, but they worked, and it made me feel clever in a way previous Zelda puzzles don't.

I feel this, I genuinely feel good and accomplished when I discover a solution of a puzzle through my own experimentation and thought process rather then doing specific things in a specific way. 

That isn't to say past Zelda puzzles were anything close to bad but this just offers up so much I continued to be surprised and stunned 20 hours in

I had recently discovered a little beach village that I'm sure could've easily have been missed and it just made me so happy that I found it on my own, this game is a wonder 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Candescence said:

I finished the water dungeon, though I've mostly been trying to get to as many shrines and towers as damn well possible this "early", and basically exploring, though I have been doing the main quest in bits and pieces. Also, holy shit, the 'boss' right before entering the dungeon is obvious bonus boss material, I tried taking him on several times before I decided to just stealth the encounter because he was functionally one-shotting me.

It is strange how difficult it is to find many shrines, mind you. My current goal is to find 40 more, but the less-obvious ones seem to be deviously hidden.

Lol, he's not even a boss. He's a standard enemy. Granted, the hardest standard enemy in the game...

 

All bosses have massive health meters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck. You're gonna need it. xP

Also, just solved the dungeon from the desert. 

Spoiler

It's so clever. You have to hook up a bunch a electrical circuits to make your way around. Stumped me for about two hours, but every time I got to a new terminal I felt super clever. This game really rewards being persistent! 

Now the boss is kicking my ass. 8'D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Special Edition copy just arrived. The map is a lot thicker than I thought it would be. I don't have a Switch yet, so I can't play it on Switch. I've been doing fine on Wii U so far, though.

The box is huge. Far bigger than I expected. Maybe I'll get pics and post them online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally I wouldn't ask for hints, but I'm utterly stumped by something, specifically accessing one of the towers:

Spoiler

Akkala Tower seems to be impossible to climb up, as there's a lot of muck in the way and no eyes to shoot to remove it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.