Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

I just did that one earlier, but I'm sure I didn't do it right; I found the tallest thing I could jump from, a tiny, half-ruined, half-gooped arch, and managed to grab on just barely above the goop.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

I just did that one earlier, but I'm sure I didn't do it right; I found the tallest thing I could jump from, a tiny, half-ruined, half-gooped arch, and managed to grab on just barely above the goop.

Same, man climbing up that was hell entire mountain

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

There is no wrong way in BotW. If you can find an alternate way to tackle something, great, more power to you.

I cheesed it in the same way Diogenes did, how funny.  It took some doing, it's a really tricky arch to get on top of without overshooting and just falling off the other side.  I think my successful attempt didn't actually require this, but if you want to cross over the goop, you can try eating food AS you clamber over it to keep your health up.

I'm quite fond of Akkala, it was the first area of the game that I just explored out of pure curiosity instead of following my next objective, and I ended up spending a good 4 hours there going from one interesting-looking distant spot to the next.

I visited that same tower last night but figured you could climb it normally. Found out "nope" and punked out due to the enemies, all the way to the ancient materials mission in North Akkala. Note that I got to that place on foot from the Foothill Stable because I didn't know if the normal path would've taken me around. Was seriously a great trip. xD

Also, I think I finally found something in the game that could've obviously been done better without hindsight. It's in regards to Link's memories:

Spoiler

I'm not sure how to feel about the majority of the backstory we saw in the Switch trailer with the backdrop of that epic music being the rewards for an easily missable side mission by a single NPC. The idea of such waypoints being communicated by what's effectively a digital camera kind of undermines the severity and ludonarrative of what happened (did Zelda really take these pictures during moments of grief?) I would've rathered these cut scenes have been the result of following the main quest proper; a few of them already are actually.

Regardless, the backstory itself is pretty sad. Zelda can't access the power she's "supposed" to be able to, takes this frustration out on Link due to his own similar fate as the hero, then has Ganon wake up on her 17th birthday... the day in which everyone she loves dies. Das fucked up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got a question. I don't really think this is a spoiler, but I'll put it in a tag anyway:

Spoiler

Are stuff like rubies, opals and amber used for anything? I haven't been selling them, because I don't know, but I could use the money.

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

I've got a question. I don't really think this is a spoiler, but I'll put it in a tag anyway:

Hide contents

Are stuff like rubies, opals and amber used for anything? I haven't been selling them, because I don't know, but I could use the money.

Given that the description for those items are "they fetch a high price" and no other implied alternative uses I think you're good to sell

• Thumbs Up 2

From what I'm hearing, do save Diamond, Luminous, and Flint (for firemaking). Diamond and Luminous can be traded for specific things. I've turned to just selling all other minerals.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finished the game today.  I have a lot of thoughts, both positive and negative, but there's just so much to talk about I'll need some time to write up anything comprehensive.

The main thing I'll comment on is that people who haven't played it are very resistant to this idea that it is "the best game ever" due to all the 9's and 10's across the board.  Of course it isn't the best game ever, there's no such thing as the best game ever.  But it is a game that I had fun with from the very beginning to the very end without pause - which, yeah, makes it a game worthy of a "perfect" score in my opinion.

I mean open world styled games usually just aren't my cup of tea, so even if I'd enjoy it(and I probably will when I eventually pick it up down the line), I probably wouldn't personally call it "best game ever omg" since that's a pretty subjective thing.(currently Smash 4 and KH2 are my best games ever for example lol)

Okay, so I finally managed to get up that stupid tower. Found a couple of seemingly out of place huge metal crates along the way up, and managed to get one up to the tower's base, which I used to get up to a spot where I could safely glide to the tower and climb up.

I've also got two memories to go, though they're also the ones with absolutely no geographical indicator, which makes things an issue... Some random Hylia statue I haven't found yet is one thing, but some random fucking forest that looks the same as all the others?! Seriously?! And that's on top of the trouble I had to go to in order to get to the last memory location shown in the second row...

Spoiler

Which was in Hyrule Castle, which becomes obvious once you compare the architecture from afar. I had to sneak around a lot to avoid the Guardians and get to the bridge right outside of Zelda's study.

On the bright side, I got to sample the castle's theme, which is incredible.

Edit: So it turns out that it's entirely possible to get two blood moons in one in-game night. It's more annoying than anything since you likely haven't killed many things in the space between the first and the second, but WTF.

3 hours ago, Candescence said:

Okay, so I finally managed to get up that stupid tower. Found a couple of seemingly out of place huge metal crates along the way up, and managed to get one up to the tower's base, which I used to get up to a spot where I could safely glide to the tower and climb up.

I've also got two memories to go, though they're also the ones with absolutely no geographical indicator, which makes things an issue... Some random Hylia statue I haven't found yet is one thing, but some random fucking forest that looks the same as all the others?! Seriously?! And that's on top of the trouble I had to go to in order to get to the last memory location shown in the second row...

Hide contents

Which was in Hyrule Castle, which becomes obvious once you compare the architecture from afar. I had to sneak around a lot to avoid the Guardians and get to the bridge right outside of Zelda's study.

On the bright side, I got to sample the castle's theme, which is incredible.

Edit: So it turns out that it's entirely possible to get two blood moons in one in-game night. It's more annoying than anything since you likely haven't killed many things in the space between the first and the second, but WTF.

For finding memories, your first port of call should be to track down any Stables that you are missing - there's no way to search for them other than to physically explore of course, but that's where you'll pretty much always find the painter guy to ask him for hints.

All memories acquired...

And I now have the Master Sword. YEEEEESSSSSS. It even gets its own dedicated weapon slot!

Spoiler

I believe you need 14 hearts just to be on the safe side, though I think it stops just before depleting the 13th.

30 attack power is kinda underwhelming with the anti-calamity bonus, tho, I assume you can get it upgraded.

Making it a regenerating weapon that needs to recharge after being 'broken' is more understandable considering the devs outright stated that there are no weapons with unlimited durability. And while that's certainly true technically, the Master Sword can regenerate after being 'used up', the weapons of the Champions can be repaired after breaking, and there are some unique weapons easily accessible from certain warp points (the Royal Greatsword, the Great Flameblade, etc) that can be acquired again after breaking.

2 hours ago, Candescence said:

All memories acquired...

And I now have the Master Sword. YEEEEESSSSSS. It even gets its own dedicated weapon slot!

Hide contents

I believe you need 14 hearts just to be on the safe side, though I think it stops just before depleting the 13th.

30 attack power is kinda underwhelming with the anti-calamity bonus, tho, I assume you can get it upgraded.

Making it a regenerating weapon that needs to recharge after being 'broken' is more understandable considering the devs outright stated that there are no weapons with unlimited durability. And while that's certainly true technically, the Master Sword can regenerate after being 'used up', the weapons of the Champions can be repaired after breaking, and there are some unique weapons easily accessible from certain warp points (the Royal Greatsword, the Great Flameblade, etc) that can be acquired again after breaking.

Re: Master Sword

Basically the Master Sword is anti-ganon only - if it's glowing, you're in the presence of an enemy directly under Ganon's influence and you can use it to your heart's content, where it does a whopping 60 damage.  Using it on anything else though it only does 30, and will degrade and need recharging, which takes somewhere around 10-15 minutes I think, similar to the Champion powers.

Out of interest, did anyone find any method or technique to the Lost Woods?  I managed to get through via...

Trial and error actually, I left myself a breadcrumb trail on the map to follow, adding to it every time I reached a new point where it felt right to turn.  It was one of the most memorable experiences for the game for me actually, I really enjoyed the intensity of the Lost Woods in this one.  I dunno if an NPC or anything gives you advice on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Re: Master Sword

Reveal hidden contents

Basically the Master Sword is anti-ganon only - if it's glowing, you're in the presence of an enemy directly under Ganon's influence and you can use it to your heart's content, where it does a whopping 60 damage.  Using it on anything else though it only does 30, and will degrade and need recharging, which takes somewhere around 10-15 minutes I think, similar to the Champion powers.

Out of interest, did anyone find any method or technique to the Lost Woods?  I managed to get through via...

Hide contents

Trial and error actually, I left myself a breadcrumb trail on the map to follow, adding to it every time I reached a new point where it felt right to turn.  It was one of the most memorable experiences for the game for me actually, I really enjoyed the intensity of the Lost Woods in this one.  I dunno if an NPC or anything gives you advice on it.

Yo the Lost Woods was legitimately scary this time.

Spoiler

The overall atmosphere and spooky looking trees made it a very spooky experience. Not to mention the fact that it's relatively quiet and then Mipha tells me her blessing is ready out of NOWHERE

My method was to follow the direction of the torch sparks. It KINDA worked I think? I had my own torch as well and I think it might've pointed in the right direction, at least to the next torch.

4 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Yo the Lost Woods was legitimately scary this time.

Hide contents

The overall atmosphere and spooky looking trees made it a very spooky experience. Not to mention the fact that it's relatively quiet and then Mipha tells me her blessing is ready out of NOWHERE

My method was to follow the direction of the torch sparks. It KINDA worked I think? I had my own torch as well and I think it might've pointed in the right direction, at least to the next torch.

Re: Lost Woods

Oh yeah, that got me to the set of two torches, which appeared to be some sort of checkpoint, because I got dumped back there every time I got lost instead.  After that though I was on my own.  At first I thought my torch was in some capacity protecting me from the "get lost" thresholds but once I realised I didn't I just went through without.

Man it'd be great if one day we can get a Lost Woods that makes use of Mario 64 endless-staircase style player repositioning to make the woods literally seem endless if you go the wrong way.  The "don't walk off the unknown path" method works fine gameplay-wise but it's what we were doing in the Haunted Wasteland 20 years ago so yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

Made it to the third dungeon on the mountain (so slow compared to everyone else) and made myself laugh

Spoiler

Lol, look at how linear this bullshit is. After the camel this'll be a breeze. EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEE-

*lights turn off*

Well, let me shut my mouth.

• Thumbs Up 1

for anyone interested about that. 

Spoiler

The peak of Cuho Mountain has a Great Thunderblade and Hyrule Field on Acient Tree Stump there a Great Fireblade.

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

Re: Lost Woods

Hide contents

Oh yeah, that got me to the set of two torches, which appeared to be some sort of checkpoint, because I got dumped back there every time I got lost instead.  After that though I was on my own.  At first I thought my torch was in some capacity protecting me from the "get lost" thresholds but once I realised I didn't I just went through without.

Man it'd be great if one day we can get a Lost Woods that makes use of Mario 64 endless-staircase style player repositioning to make the woods literally seem endless if you go the wrong way.  The "don't walk off the unknown path" method works fine gameplay-wise but it's what we were doing in the Haunted Wasteland 20 years ago so yeah.

Yeah, I kinda figured it out and solved it on my first try.

Spoiler

When I first got there I noticed all the floating lights and torch embers were flowing in a specific direction, so I followed along just for lack of any other obvious clues.  Then the wind suddenly shifted and I realized, "oh, this IS the clue."  At the midpoint of the forest, the end of the path of braziers, I picked up and lit the handheld torch they provided and carried on, stopping regularly to check the torch and make sure I was still going the right way.

45 minutes ago, G-Force said:

Yeah, I kinda figured it out and solved it on my first try.

Hide contents

When I first got there I noticed all the floating lights and torch embers were flowing in a specific direction, so I followed along just for lack of any other obvious clues.  Then the wind suddenly shifted and I realized, "oh, this IS the clue."  At the midpoint of the forest, the end of the path of braziers, I picked up and lit the handheld torch they provided and carried on, stopping regularly to check the torch and make sure I was still going the right way.

Ahhh I see, sure enough on playing today I found the old man at the Woodland Stables again and realised in his story about venturing into the Lost Woods as a boy he mentions "the wind blowing this way and that", which is highlighted in his text.  That solves it then, neat.

About the Lost Wood.

Spoiler

That feel when you've waited five years for a Zelda game and you find out you're too much of a weak-ass little bitch to even take the Master Sword out of the pedestal once you find it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Speaking of the sword...

Spoiler

I honestly thought that was the coolest and most unique way they could've made you get the Master Sword. It really gives you this feeling of like, "wow, the Master Sword is immensely powerful". I mean, draining your health? That's awesome. Being able to pull it out with that one corner of a heart left was amazing.

Just like, compared to OoT where Link just had to sleep for 7 years or WW where you needed to strengthen it again, this one felt very... Special, I guess. I always just thought of it as a better weapon that does more damage (that talked once), now I see it differently.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah the sound design in that scene is downright perfect, I definitely adore how they handled it.

• Thumbs Up 1