Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

So got into a fight with several Stal enemies on Lake Hylia, beat them all down and accidentally picked up a Stalizalfos arm in my weapons inventory when picking up the monster part loot, went to throw it in the river... Turns out it's a boomerang arm and it came right back to me when I tried to toss it LOL

Some of the details in this game are amazing.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Lady Soniko said:

So got into a fight with several Stal enemies on Lake Hylia, beat them all down and accidentally picked up a Stalizalfos arm in my weapons inventory when picking up the monster part loot, went to throw it in the river... Turns out it's a boomerang arm and it came right back to me when I tried to toss it LOL

Some of the details in this game are amazing.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I think its because Lizalfos are the enemies that mostly use Boomerangs. Its really great to see that kind of thing happening here.

I had the misfortune to have just found a nest of electric bats when my first thunderstorm rolled up.  Knocked down a bat and it exploded in sparks. . . which erupted around me as well - seemed a bit odd.  Knocked down a second bat and got the same effect.  Was aiming at bat number three when the lightning hit me. Oops.

I wish I could change the targeting marker to something else, though, I cannot properly aim my bow because I have problems seeing where the marker is and frequently shoot above things in near range.  Also haven't figured out how to target anything when throwing; can't hit monsters even by accident.

Beat the game last night, the final boss is very meh compared to the rest of the game, and I had more fun in the castle exploring it from top to bottom and fighting with the Master Sword, there's also some good loot in the castle itself. Overall the game was pretty fun and challenging, but I don't think it's the best Zelda for me. It's definitely the most ambitious Zelda I've played since Wind Waker, the scope of the game is absolutely massive and as well as it is big in distance across the map, it's also big in terms of scale with the mountains and high places.

It took me about a week or so to finally finish it with all shrines, all divine beasts and most side quests completed, and finally felling Ganon, I have a lot to say about the game overall but will leave it for another time, looking forward to the new story this winter!

I do love the game, but once you finish the game, there nothing memorable at all i do find, 4 beasts are short, Some parts of the Soundtrack feel abit underwhelm, Bloodmoon cut scene, tho you can skip it, but its annoying. Weapons durability but as i mention once you know the locations of the weapons you won't have any problem at all. Hyrule Castle is pretty good, wish it was more complex then that, its totally my only favorite part of the game. i'm actually playing a other run because i love the exploration. 124 Hours atm on Wii-U

Spoiler

Yesterday I was traveling Death Mountain (finally cleared my second Divine Beast after spending some more time exploring and also acquired the Master Sword early) when in the distance past Hyrule Castle, I noticed a mountain that was glowing. I marked it and saw that it was Satori Mountain and immediately fast traveled over there. When I get closer to the source of the glow, I see a bunch of Blupees and then I look down and see a bigger, glowing creature in the water. So I take a picture with the camera and immediately decide to shoot the thing with an arrow. See, my logic here is that if the Blupees give out a few rupees before running away after getting hit, surely that will be the case with this creature, the Lord of the Forest, right? lol The thing ran off and left me jack-all.

I then went online to see if there was an info on it. Turns out it's a tameable horse. Fuck, I thought, so I just reloaded my save. It's gone. Save scumming doesn't work (and, to my knowledge, fast travel doesn't seem to affect whether the event takes place or not). Disappointed, I leave after a few tries.

Now today, I saw the same glowing again while I was on Death Mountain in the middle of a quest, so I head back over there and there he is. First order of business is taking another picture since I lost mine in the reload. I then paraglide down and land on it, tamed it, and fed it about five apples. I then turn my back for a moment to look around before running back and going to jump on my new steed... and it runs off and disappears.

I thought we could be friends ;_;

On 3/17/2017 at 10:27 AM, Josh said:

Guess my Werehog wallpaper is changing. 8'D

Also Zaysho:

Spoiler

Found that same spot on my map about a week ago. Ran across it figuring it was a Fairy Fountain and freaked out due to the horse, right? So, I spend like 20 minutes just trying to get close to the damn thing without spooking it, since I figured it'd be as scary as the Blupees. I manage to observe it start drinking, sneak up on it, and mount it. First time seeing it and getting on top of it. I'm a fucking master of horses--

NO ONE TOLD ME YOU NEEDED 15 STAMINA WHEELS TO TAME IT.

Kicked my dumbass off and disappeared into the aether. Haven't seen it since. I cried.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

@Nepenthe I was surprised I managed to tame it at all xD Luckily, after I pulled the Master Sword, I went to the demon statue in Hateno village and had traded off two of my Heart Containers and then I got my final Stamina Vessel from trading in some Spirit Orbs at a Goddess statue, so  was maxed out before I even found him the first time. I just slammed the soothe button.

Now I just really want to catch it again on principle.

Also, I just checked my overall playtime. 105 hours. Jesus Christ. This is the third game in the last three years to eat up so much time in such a short span; the other two being Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pokémon Sun.

Okay I'm not normally this self-indulgent and I'm sharing this more for the overall concept than my art but... was thinking about how I was kinda sad that Redeads didn't return in BotW to scare the crap outta me like they did when I was a kid, so came up with my own idea for how they could've been included, figured some folks'd enjoy it so thought I'd post here.  Description contains pretty minor mainly backstory-related spoilers that are revealed quite early on in the game (if for some reason you haven't played, care about those, and yet are still browsing this thread):

tumblr_on88p3rCaN1s8insfo1_1280.png

Humanoid amalgamations of Calamity Ganon’s Malice and infected ancient Shiekah technology.  Most scientists agree their humanoid form is entirely comprised of dark magic, though plenty of common folk believe they may be what became of those who weren’t fortunate enough to simply die during Ganon’s attack on Hyrule Castle 100 years ago.

Redeads exhibit odd behaviour, often hiding inside ruins, abandoned buildings, caves, and even the Pools of Malice found in the parts of Hyrule most corrupted by Ganon’s reach, but they have been known to roam at night and in significantly shrouded areas.  Stay vigilant if you hear their signature moaning… especially when you hear more than one.  While unable to fire beams from their ancient eye, if they spot you they will unleash, with a shrill scream, their horrifying and mysterious ability to drain Link of all his stamina in an instant, making him unable to run, climb, swim or paraglide until he has escaped their awareness completely.  Consuming stamina-replenishing food is the only way to regain stamina when a Redead is in pursuit.  If they catch Link, they will latch on and viciously attack him unless he can shake them off.

Fortunately, they are relatively slow and clumsy in their movements due to their single Guardian leg.  …But there are rumours that in the deepest, darkest corners of Hyrule, there have been Redeads sighted with significantly more

Considering Guardians already are stressful, chasing enemies who, for the majority of the game, I avoided rather than confronted - already something very in common with my behaviour around Redeads when I played OoT as a kid - it made sense to include them under that “branch” of enemy types in BotW.  My art style isn’t quite compatible with making them as scary as they could be, but hopefully it gives an idea!

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@Nepenthe I was surprised I managed to tame it at all xD Luckily, after I pulled the Master Sword, I went to the demon statue in Hateno village and had traded off two of my Heart Containers and then I got my final Stamina Vessel from trading in some Spirit Orbs at a Goddess statue, so  was maxed out before I even found him the first time. I just slammed the soothe button.

Now I just really want to catch it again on principle.

Also, I just checked my overall playtime. 105 hours. Jesus Christ. This is the third game in the last three years to eat up so much time in such a short span; the other two being Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pokémon Sun.

105 hours? Oh sweetie, that's so cute.

time.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

If my math isn't shitty, that is literally 11.8 hours a day since the game released.................

What have you been doing? xD

Every time I'm on my Switch I see Blue Blood playing Zelda in my friend's list, considering I don't usually stop playing till about 5-6am yeah, he's practically breathing BotW at this point lol.

I've put about 110 hours into it from start to finish, that's all shrines too.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm currently at 85 hours it seems.  No idea when I finished the main quest, but I'm currently about 15 shrines away from finishing them all.

Spoiler

I caught the Lord of the Forest!

I can't register him. The guy at the stable says they'll all be cursed. So I returned him to Satori Mountain (I know, I know, I could have just jumped off and let him run off on his own, but I decided I was going to get my bonding time in anyway).

Nobody talk to me.

I feel bad seeing how many people I know who have 100% completion and 120 hours or some crazy shit meanwhile I'm sitting here with 60 hours on the game and less than half the shrines done. I'm supposed to be the fucking Zelda guy damn it.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I feel bad seeing how many people I know who have 100% completion and 120 hours or some crazy shit meanwhile I'm sitting here with 60 hours on the game and less than half the shrines done. I'm supposed to be the fucking Zelda guy damn it.

??

Git gud scrub??

• Thumbs Up 1

75 hours in. Completed the 4 Divine Beasts and now just exploring the different regions for new powers or shrines before going to tackle Ganon. Come to the point that I'm not sure if I ever want to go face him, meaning the game would be close to an end.

A game of this scale rarely does that for me, so much incentive to keep going back to explore.

Does anyone else think that the shrine puzzles in this game would make a great model for the next multiplayer Zelda to follow? They're clever, can be completed in a reasonable amount of time, they're self-contained, and they're designed around all of the neat things you can do with the game's basic mechanics rather than constantly introducing new gimmicks. I was actually getting Portal 2 vibes from some of them, and that's a great co-op game. 

6 hours ago, Josh said:

well congrats on having more of a life than me, at least

• Thumbs Up 4

This is the first time a Zelda game has actively made me want to explore the world before going to face Ganon, normally I'd want to just go through the whole story as I didn't feel that there was much incentive to do side quests until everything else was completed. 

This is an amazing game. By the time I complete the game my next task will be to rank all the ones in order of enjoyment. Think this Zelda will be at or near number 1 if what I'm playing holds up until Ganon has been defeated.

How would you guys rank the Zelda games?

On 23/03/2017 at 10:07 PM, Solly said:

Does anyone else think that the shrine puzzles in this game would make a great model for the next multiplayer Zelda to follow?

I actually found myself thinking at several points that this'd be the closest we'd ever get to a "Zelda Maker" of sorts once players gained access to editing tools for them. It's not exactly block-based in the same way Mario is, but all the objects nevertheless seem exploitable enough that I do wonder what configurations ordinary people could put them in that even Aonuma didn't expect. Am I the only one who'd eat that up?

• Thumbs Up 6

Random idea I had for the upcoming hard mode DLC... in a perfect world they'll have rejigged or even come up with totally new puzzles for all/most of the shrines.  But that'd be a massive undertaking, so instead my suggestion would be two things:

1. Outside of the big 5 tutorial ones (Great Plateau and Kakariko Village), randomise the interiors that each shrine leads to.  This would be decided at the start of a new file, so you can't save scum it.  If anyone DOES have foreknowledge of what each shrine is, they can't take advantage of it.  I guess "you've already proven your worth" ones are exceptions.

2. Add time limits for puzzle-focused ones.  This would embrace the idea that most hard mode players already know and remember the solutions to most of the puzzles when requested of them, so instead the test is performing those solutions impeccably.  If you fail, you're sent back to your last save (so you don't get to keep any treasures you found).  Either the time limit could be set as is for the whole shrine (this could make getting all the chests very difficult but give a good amount of leeway for simply reaching the goal), or the time limit is strict no matter what way you want to take on the shrine, and opening a chest simply awards bonus time based on how much time reaching that chest should roughly add on.

I dunno if applying time limits to the Divine Beasts too would be too mean, but they are pretty short affairs if you know what to do so...

Anyway, just thoughts, ideally I'd love if they surprise us by Master Questing this shit and giving us 100% new puzzles.

Incidentally, youtuber Matthewmatosis, known for his intricate and detailed review/analysises of the Zelda series and others (which I highly recommend, they're really gentle listens as he doesn't sensationalise his videos with scripted jokes and "bits" or wacky intros etc), posted his own hard mode wishlist: https://medium.com/@Matthewmatosis/breath-of-the-wild-hard-mode-wishlist-e0b97afd125c#.jv57pjusv

An interesting read and I'd like to see a lot of these.

42 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Incidentally, youtuber Matthewmatosis, known for his intricate and detailed review/analysises of the Zelda series and others (which I highly recommend, they're really gentle listens as he doesn't sensationalise his videos with scripted jokes and "bits" or wacky intros etc), posted his own hard mode wishlist: https://medium.com/@Matthewmatosis/breath-of-the-wild-hard-mode-wishlist-e0b97afd125c#.jv57pjusv

An interesting read and I'd like to see a lot of these.

I was agreeing with his list for a bit, but past the halfway point a lot of his suggestions started turning into annoyances rather than things that made the game meaningfully harder. Limiting when/where you can save (especially in a game that can be played portably), extra darkness, severely limiting arrow capacity (only 30 normal arrows, seriously? one tough korok target shooting puzzle could run you dry)...things like the food systems and champion powers could definitely use some nerfs, but hard mode shouldn't make the game less fun.