Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

Yeah. Mario Kart Wii sold 30+ million copies while Skyward Sword sold like... 4 million.

Honestly, you guys, you're all over reacting on the whole zelda-u delay, every 3D zelda game has had a delay, and the U has over 4 other high quality big titles coming out this year for sure(Splatoon, Xenoblade X, Devil's Third, and Yoshi's Epic yarn), not to mention SMTXFE is likely this year, Oh and STAR FOX and thats not forgetting E3/near E3 reveals, like the projects Next Level Games have been working on and others, and I mean Big N are the masters of secrets, I mean back in the 90's they announced Majora's Mask THREE WEEKS Before release, keeping a project under wraps till 3-5 months before release is easy. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some big ones hidden for E3, both to fill the Zelda slot, that haven't been announced yet in part because they waited until the right moment, and so that they are nearly done so there's little chance of delay Heck the reason why we've heard so little about SMTXFE since its announcement other than a confirmation that its still alive a while back is most likely because they wanted the engine and the graphics finished first, and because this is IS's first HD game. I mean which is better random clips of half finished game bits(or prerendered videos) and countless delays? or a near finished project in its polishing phases with a full on marketing campaign?

Brawl also sold what, 12 million? The big guns have already released and Smash 4 has pulled in 4 million so far (11 million total with 3DS factored in) and Mario Kart 8 pulled in about 4.8 million sales. Zelda will not meet those numbers if that's how those games are doing.

Yeah. Mario Kart Wii sold 30+ million copies while Skyward Sword sold like... 4 million.

Ya but Skyward Sword is shit tho. i didn't get the hype at the announcement. also Star Fox is confirmed for 2015? pretty darn sure its after Zelda Wii-U

Star Fox Wii U was confirmed to be released before Zelda U.  In retrospect it always did seem suspicious that they didn't have much to show for Star Fox at the time and yet it was to be presumed to be farther along in development.

But I'm talking about financially. Do you think Xenoblade, Yoshi, Splatoon, what have you is gonna save it from financial trouble? As much as I wish they could, I don't think they will. In fact I don't think even Star Fox would, as much as I'd love it to, or even Zelda. That's what I was talking about, not quality.

Way to get up in arms about it. :v

I think Yoshi and especially Splatoon will do pretty well. Xenoblade will do OK, but I think Star Fox will most likely bomb.

i did not realize 2016 will be thirty years since the original game of which that this one's open world is meant to be a tribute... so, any remaining uncertainty feels resolved that this is a positive decision!!  ^__^

• 7 months later...

Shibata in particular made a point of emphasising that the game would very definitely be on Wii U, something which I think the 2016 release date underlines.

Shibata in particular made a point of emphasising that the game would very definitely be on Wii U, something which I think the 2016 release date underlines.

I think it's because there's been speculation that the NX will be out soon--"soon" being within the next year or two--and that this game will end up being on NX. Though from what I've seen people generally think it'll be cross-gen rather than having no Wii U version at all.

Personally I'm glad that they seem to be very determined to make sure Zelda Wii U is...well...on the Wii U, but I wouldn't necessarily be against an NX version. There's precedent for it with Twilight Princess, so it could very well happen. Only problem is that I'm not sure if I'll get the NX right away and well...if there's a next gen version of something I'll usually want to get that one, even if there aren't any major differences.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still don't think Zelda U will be on NX unless there's a major gimmick on the NX they want Zelda U to take advantage of. Or the NX isn't backwards compatible, which isn't likely. Nintendo will at least have limited bc on the NX (and since Nintendo has so few games on Wii U they can easily make most of them bc anyway).

So no, I don't think it will be released separately on NX, and I don't think NX is launching next year. I do think maybe they won't have 3DS titles late next year, because they're replacing that first. And they don't want to announce more Wii U games for late next year and not 3DS titles. So that's why I think they're been quiet about Holiday 2016.

Anyway, Zelda U looks beautiful. Would've liked a title, but oh well.

• Thumbs Up 6

GameXplain somehow managed to get some interesting details out of the teaser. (Yes, really, 9 minutes of analysis for like, 10 seconds of footage.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh3pF7bp_rg

I'm intrigued by the sword Link has in this teaser. Will there be a few different swords you can choose from before ultimately replacing them all with the Master Sword or equivalent thereof? But the most interesting bit, in my opinion anyway, is that book Link has. For now, I assume it's a spellbook, but that might be wishful thinking since I'd love to see a Zelda game that expands on the idea of Link having magic. Having a bunch of spells to play around with would be neat.

Also, time for a completely out-there theory that almost definitely isn't true:

The book is sentient and, in fact, Link's partner character for this game.

Think about it. Of course a magic talking book would know everything about enemies and stuff, it only makes sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

GameXplain somehow managed to get some interesting details out of the teaser. (Yes, really, 9 minutes of analysis for like, 10 seconds of footage.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh3pF7bp_rg

I'm intrigued by the sword Link has in this teaser. Will there be a few different swords you can choose from before ultimately replacing them all with the Master Sword or equivalent thereof? But the most interesting bit, in my opinion anyway, is that book Link has. For now, I assume it's a spellbook, but that might be wishful thinking since I'd love to see a Zelda game that expands on the idea of Link having magic. Having a bunch of spells to play around with would be neat.

Also, time for a completely out-there theory that almost definitely isn't true:

Hidden Content

I think its just a spellbook. Maybe a journal as well. I totally think Magic is back in this game, we've been seeing that magic meter in various screenshots and it definitely looks like a magic meter this time. Unlike other similar meters, the magic meter never regenerates automatically, and we have seen that meter sit there with some parts taken off of it.

I think that the slowdown effect when jumping off your horse is a magic spell that uses the magic meter as well.

In regards to swords, Ocarina allowed you to use the Biggoron Sword in place of the Master Sword, and in fact it was a much more effective weapon. In addition, pretty much every Zelda game gives players a normal sword or two before they reach the Master Sword, so there's that. Also we have no idea where in the timeline, or indeed in which timeline the new one takes place - the Master Sword may not even obtainable now if, say, the game is set in the land WW Link travels across in Spirit Tracks.

As for the book, it could be a quest item, or the game's version of the ocarina, baton etc. A spell book, maybe? Maybe this time, Link's "items" will be awesome magical spells!

Edited by Patticus

In regards to swords, Ocarina allowed you to use the Biggoron Sword in place of the Master Sword, and in fact it was a much more effective weapon. In addition, pretty much every Zelda game gives players a normal sword or two before they reach the Master Sword, so there's that. Also we have no idea where in the timeline, or indeed in which timeline the new one takes place - the Master Sword may not even obtainable now if, say, the game is set in the land WW Link travels across in Spirit Tracks.

As for the book, it could be a quest item, or the game's version of the ocarina, baton etc. A spell book, maybe? Maybe this time, Link's "items" will be awesome magical spells!

I'm really thinking that there's going to be a customization system at this point. Just a theory, but it would be the best way to handle such a massive world. Provide lots of different things to discover and constantly finding new types of materials to make. For example, Link's different items could be made with different materials. Say, the sailcloth is just one version of that item, and you could also craft it in a way that makes it the Deku Leaf as well.

Just some possibilities. I think the giant sword might be one variation of things. Also, I'm pretty sure at this point that is Link's "default" outfit in this game. We normally ALWAYS see the green tunic first, and then later they show Link in "normal" clothes before he gets the green tunic. This time I'm starting to think Link wouldn't get the green tunic, or its an optional piece of equipment.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really thinking that there's going to be a customization system at this point. Just a theory, but it would be the best way to handle such a massive world. Provide lots of different things to discover and constantly finding new types of materials to make. For example, Link's different items could be made with different materials. Say, the sailcloth is just one version of that item, and you could also craft it in a way that makes it the Deku Leaf as well.

Skyward Sword saw the implementation of an item upgrade system new to the LoZ series, so it wouldn't be that big a leap to go from upgrading items to some level of customization.

• Thumbs Up 1

Skyward Sword saw the implementation of an item upgrade system new to the LoZ series, so it wouldn't be that big a leap to go from upgrading items to some level of customization.

that's the other reasoning. Going from Skyward Sword's upgrades to full customization isn't such a big leap at all, and would fit perfectly in this kind of game.

Would be cool if you could customize Link, too. Like, dye his hair and clothes, maybe some haircuts.

or maybe even change his gender

I think the heavy sword indicates that there might be some variance in the combat styles you could have in this game. Is Zelda finally taking some notes from Souls?

Excited to see what comes of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

SS's upgrade system was so balls though. Customization can be fun, but it's not worth running around the world grinding for junk items. Why can't we just get concrete rewards for completing concrete tasks? Or at least let us buy things with rupees instead of adding a dozen different super-specialized currencies and still having barely anything worth spending rupees on.

• Thumbs Up 8

SS's upgrade system was so balls though. Customization can be fun, but it's not worth running around the world grinding for junk items. Why can't we just get concrete rewards for completing concrete tasks? Or at least let us buy things with rupees instead of adding a dozen different super-specialized currencies and still having barely anything worth spending rupees on.

Perhaps that's what's going to happen? I mean, we really have no idea if there will be customization, a refined version of SS's upgrade system or even a ditching of the whole thing in favor of more unlockables and purchasable items. Personally, it'd be nice to have a reason to spend rupees toward the end of the game - the time when you've typically bought everything, filled your wallet back up and only then get the biggest rupees that you can't fit in there.

I'd really like to see rupees regain their value.  I actually did a fun challenge run on OoT 3D recently - I'm not allowed to collect boss heart containers, or use fairies ever.  Sounds simple, but it gave me motivation to explore the overworld and all the caves etc - stuff I usually don't bother with on my repeat plays.  Only being able to get pieces of heart to upgrade my health and use potions to regain health gave value to optional exploration and rupee collecting, and made the battles significantly more intense as I had to manually use potions when I was low on health rather than always knowing a fairy could revive me.  I did it on Master Quest too, to make sure the stakes were high.

Was more fun than a three-heart run, which essentially becomes one-hit KO mode for every boss fight from the last third of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

this year!!   :)^_^     it is just a few months until the actual form of this is revealed: even if a few months means until june, winter and spring always go by rather quickly, moreso that the build available at e3 , is i think almost absolutely likely to be fully playable, with all of the features they were creating smoothed out and carefully tested! 

theoretically this will be one of the best games in the series let alone that it will be this open world!!