Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

And we now have a 'brief update' on Zelda for Wii U:

http://kotaku.com/an-update-on-zelda-wii-u-1764000736

A Brief Update on Zelda Wii U

lt6sukbbhie0zyb7lup3.jpg

The last we heard the Zelda Wii U was delayed, which is something Nintendo always does. Wondering how things are going? In the most recent issue of Famitsu, series producer Eiji Aonuma was asked just that. “Busy,” he replied. 

Continuing, he said, “When we did Skyward Sword for the Wii, at the end stages of development, I was in charge of the characters’ dialogue and the in-game text. And, now as well, it’s like it was then. I had to work on text today, too,” he said with a laugh.

“But, the game has really taken shape, and things have gotten easier. That means things are progressing well.”

According to Aonuma, the keyword this time is “something new.” Ocarina of Time was a huge leap for the Zelda series and since then Aonuma explained, “I think the base of our secret sauce has always been Ocarina of Time. But this time, the change in flavor will be like going from Japanese food to Western style food. Perhaps, players will be surprised.”

“Please look forward to it, because I think we’ll be able to make ‘something new’ like Ocarina of Time was,” Aonuma added.

Previously, Kotaku reported that the new Zelda will be open-world and might not have the puzzles players have come to expect.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's going to be a mighty controversial outing, if it really is that big of a change, with perhaps a more western-based design underpinning it. Maybe more-so than Wind Waker.

I'd offer speculation about what games it might resemble, but even if it does take inspiration from the likes of The Witcher, Skyrim etc, we all know it'll very much be its own game. I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to feel like quite a different game entirely if it's lacking in puzzles - often the highlight of many a dungeon.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a metaphor, he simply means a change of pace, not a change of influence. It's the same as saying we're going from Chinese to Italian food, they are both good, but different strokes

• Thumbs Up 4

53 minutes ago, Patticus said:

It's going to be a mighty controversial outing, if it really is that big of a change, with perhaps a more western-based design underpinning it. Maybe more-so than Wind Waker.

I'd offer speculation about what games it might resemble, but even if it does take inspiration from the likes of The Witcher, Skyrim etc, we all know it'll very much be its own game. I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to feel like quite a different game entirely if it's lacking in puzzles - often the highlight of many a dungeon.

At this point, whether they make any significant changes or not, it will almost certainly be controversial. Because there is the group that will complain that all 3D Zeldas are the same, and the group that will complain if they make any significant changes.

• 4 weeks later...

Emily Rogers has some great information on this game. Emily is pretty trustworthy and most recently leaked that a new Paper Mario was coming. Still, this is a rumor.

That said, my my opinion will be from a point of assuming it's true.

So, the information:
z2dHy2l.png
https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64

Voice acting! Awesome! It's nice to see Zelda get a bit more with the times.

Male/Female Link is a great addition, too. If we can choose our sex, I hope they expand on customization in other areas, too. At the very least something along the lines of Fable would be nice.

Update:

Nintendo World Report's Neal Ronaghan says he heard similar stuff from multiple sources. It might be worth mentioning in the OP.

https://twitter.com/nron10/status/718440249882386433

https://twitter.com/nron10/status/718448543833296896

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200482846&postcount=619

Though I accept it as the logical end point of a gender toggle, I'm not sure I particularly want character customisation in Zelda, myself.  I like having a fresh Link design (male or female) tailored to each game and its art style, providing a sense of continuity not just between player and character but through the history of the series as well.  If it was sort of like Pokemon X/Y and you have a set Link but then once you hit town your Link can get their hair styled and change their clothes or something, I guess that would be different; the individualisation would be contextualised and sort of emergent versus the differences abruptly showing right from the start.

But then again I'm completely indifferent to voice acting as well, so whatever, maybe Zelda is just too up-to-date and modern for my tastes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even given her reputation, I'm kind of skeptical of this. The three things she's supposedly revealed are the three most controversial topics about this game; it just seems a little too convenient to have them and just them answered all at once.

Anyway I'm pretty sketchy on adding voice acting to the series, but I'm cool with a gender option. And two versions doesn't really bother me as long as there's no meaningful difference in content.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, even though the source has been pretty reliable in the past, I'm still gonna take it with a grain of salt, as I do with many other rumors.

However, they are pretty interesting nonetheless. Releasing on the NX and Wii U would be kind of a given, considering that's what happened in the past with Twilight Princess on the Gamecube and Wii. Makes me curious what the differences would be.

Voice acting... I not sure how I feel about that... When it comes to Nintendo games, voice acting can either be pretty good or cringe worthy. But whatever the case, as long as Link doesn't talk I could probably live with it.

And finally, being able to choose your gender with Link. I found myself scratching my chin and saying "Very interesting!" It's different, and I personally think it sounds like a pretty cool option to me. 

But like I said, I'm trying not to get myself too hyped, since this is still just a rumor. If this all turns out to be true, then hey, it's true. If not, then oh well.

Yeah, I'm extremely hesitant to buy this. ESPECIALLY the gender toggle option. And voice acting? In a game this huge?

I don't care if Emily Rogers has gotten a few things right in the past, this is just too convenient to cleanly gloss over the two most controversial ideas. I think if there's going to be a so-called "gender toggle", its going to be a different character and not Link specifically. I just don't see Nintendo changing Link in such a way after so long of making him largely consistent, despite being a player fill-in he's always been pretty distinct.

• Thumbs Up 1

These kinds of rumours are something I could see going either way - I'd be totally happy if they were true, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they weren't.

The Wii U/NX release thing is kind of a given at this point, there's no way they'd put their big name title solely on a dying console, at least if they really are releasing the NX later this year. But they've advertised and promised it as a Wii U title too so they have to keep to their word on that, so a Twilight Princess scenario is almost a certainty.

Not entirely fussed about voice acting - it's neat if it's there and it's not a huge deal if it's not. Depends on how good or bad it is really.

I would love the gender toggle though, especially if it boils down to a choice between Link and Linkle. I'm a huge fan of the latter in Hyrule Warriors Legends and to see her getting some main game representation would be great.

6 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I think if there's going to be a so-called "gender toggle", its going to be a different character and not Link specifically. I just don't see Nintendo changing Link in such a way after so long of making him largely consistent, despite being a player fill-in he's always been pretty distinct.

How consistent have they been, though? I feel they're already balancing two distinct Link concepts, "normal" Link (that is, designs that can be traced back to OoT's Adult Link) and Toon Link. If they do have a gender option I'd expect the two Links to have basically the same design and obviously the same art style, which would make them more consistent with each other than the series' two main Link-concepts are now.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

How consistent have they been, though? I feel they're already balancing two distinct Link concepts, "normal" Link (that is, designs that can be traced back to OoT's Adult Link) and Toon Link. If they do have a gender option I'd expect the two Links to have basically the same design and obviously the same art style, which would make them more consistent with each other than the series' two main Link-concepts are now.

If you disregard the art style for each game, Link is actually incredbly consistent. Blue-eyed male with blonde hair, wearing a green tunic and a very distinct cap style that you don't really see anywhere else. Always wields a Sword and Shield as his main go-to weapon with a Bow as a secondary item in pretty much every game. Zelda is likewise quite consistent as well, though her (main) clothing changes a lot more often than Link's does. Skyward Sword being her most notable shift.

The starting design sometimes changes, but Link always has his green tunic and cap later in the game, and always wields the same type of weapon no matter what game it is. These are Link's staples, and they've never let go of that. Link is recognizable by that appearance regardless of the art style.

That, and based on what this rumor said, t never stated that there'd be a female Link option. People just jumped on the bandwagon without reading carefully (even I did at first). All it says is you can play as a male or female. Which, frankly, I kinda had been speculating for a long time would happen anyway.

I don't think it'd be Linkle, though. She's way too soon to fit into that role. It'll probably be whoever the female lead of the new game is. Linkle could potentially make a cameo, or if they add in a party system and you can play as more characters that way, maybe she'd be an option there. But starting off the game, I think it'd just be Link and the female lead.

Potentially, if they want to incorporate more options, they may be able to make Zelda as an unlockable character at some point in the game and you can later choose to start as her. But considering her normal role, she probably wouldn't be available initially if this was an option.

Link's the player's avatar. Of course it would be female Link.

Link usually has a green tunic, but let's not forget that Aonuma talked about breaking traditional Zelda conventions. Gender options and voice acting are part of that, but Link's main outfit not being his green tunic, but the blue one we've seen could be part of that, too.

17 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Link's the player's avatar. Of course it would be female Link.

Link usually has a green tunic, but let's not forget that Aonuma talked about breaking traditional Zelda conventions. Gender options and voice acting are part of that, but Link's main outfit not being his green tunic, but the blue one we've seen could be part of that, too.

Except Link HASN'T been the player's avatar for the better part of 10 years at least. He's got a pretty distinct personality that's quite similar regardless of what game he's in.

And breaking Zelda tradition does not mean completely changing the main character of the series. Link is recognizable for a reason.

Breaking Zelda tradition could just as easily be breaking the tradition of Link being the only playable character. If the rumors were implying it'd be a gender swap option for Link, wouldn't they have just outright said it, instead of saying "choose between a male or female as your playable character"... because Link HAS always been the only playable character, there's no reason to not just say Link there. The way the statement is worded goes directly against the idea this is meant to imply a female Link.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JaidynReiman said:

And breaking Zelda tradition does not mean completely changing the main character of the series. Link is recognizable for a reason.

Why, every time this argument comes up, do people try to twist it into "completely changing" the character? The differences between a male and female Link in the same game would almost certainly be less than the differences between most of the different Links in the series.

4 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Breaking Zelda tradition could just as easily be breaking the tradition of Link being the only playable character. If the rumors were implying it'd be a gender swap option for Link, wouldn't they have just outright said it, instead of saying "choose between a male or female as your playable character"... because Link HAS always been the only playable character, there's no reason to not just say Link there. The way the statement is worded goes directly against the idea this is meant to imply a female Link.

While you're reaching this far, could you scratch my back for me?

• Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

1) Except Link HASN'T been the player's avatar for the better part of 10 years at least. He's got a pretty distinct personality that's quite similar regardless of what game he's in.

2) And breaking Zelda tradition does not mean completely changing the main character of the series. Link is recognizable for a reason.

Breaking Zelda tradition could just as easily be breaking the tradition of Link being the only playable character. 3) If the rumors were implying it'd be a gender swap option for Link, wouldn't they have just outright said it, instead of saying "choose between a male or female as your playable character"... because Link HAS always been the only playable character, there's no reason to not just say Link there. The way the statement is worded goes directly against the idea this is meant to imply a female Link.

1) I agree with that. But Nintendo doesn't seem to. They seem to still to refer to him as an avatar. Who knows, maybe he'll have less of a character in Zelda U.

2) Who said anything about completely changing Link?

3) Emily Rogers doesn't, but Neil Ronaghan says female Link.

40 minutes ago, Marcello said:

1) I agree with that. But Nintendo doesn't seem to. They seem to still to refer to him as an avatar. Who knows, maybe he'll have less of a character in Zelda U.

2) Who said anything about completely changing Link?

3) Emily Rogers doesn't, but Neil Ronaghan says female Link.

And who the hell is Neil Ronaghan and what does this have to do with Emily Rogers?

1 minute ago, JaidynReiman said:

And who the hell is Neil Ronaghan and what does this have to do with Emily Rogers?

It's in my first post about this leak...

He's from Nintendo World Report and said he also heard about the rumor.

Personally, I think that giving the players some kind of gender select option is a good idea, I just don't think Link himself should have a variable gender.  I just don't like the idea of a significant aspect of Link's identity being something that you can just toggle one way or another, like some kind of Schrodinger's cat scenario, where Link's gender isn't defined until someone observes/defines it.  

I'd rather see the developers do something like... give Link a twin sister, and then your gender option boils down to picking which twin you control.  Both characters are equally capable, so the difference is a matter of preference, and the twin you didn't pick would still exist in the game world, and possibly even help you out sometimes, but they just don't become the big world saving hero that your chosen player character does.

• Thumbs Up 3

That, or you simply give Zelda equal standing in the plot or bring in someone like Midna.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, G-Force said:

Personally, I think that giving the players some kind of gender select option is a good idea, I just don't think Link himself should have a variable gender.  I just don't like the idea of a significant aspect of Link's identity being something that you can just toggle one way or another, like some kind of Schrodinger's cat scenario, where Link's gender isn't defined until someone observes/defines it.  

I'd rather see the developers do something like... give Link a twin sister, and then your gender option boils down to picking which twin you control.  Both characters are equally capable, so the difference is a matter of preference, and the twin you didn't pick would still exist in the game world, and possibly even help you out sometimes, but they just don't become the big world saving hero that your chosen player character does.

Basically, this is exactly my thoughts, and exactly what I want. Though I'd be ok if they had Linkle instead of a twin sister. Just make sure to capitalize on the fact that she's got a different personality from Link.

11 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

That, or you simply give Zelda equal standing in the plot or bring in someone like Midna.

This is my other idea. I mean, if you look at Skyward Sword, Zelda's role in the story almost put it to the point where you could've made the story slightly different and Zelda could be fully playable as well. Or even Impa would've worked in that scenario, and the two main characters cross paths with one another.

Link has become a pretty distinct character, and I'd prefer it to remain that way. Plus, I don't see how making Link have a gender switch option would really improve anything. Having a totally separate main character, though, would be fine, and in this game where the game is more open ended, that'd work a lot easier as well than in most Zelda titles.

Nothing about Link actually has to change if you change his gender. The game will still play the same and Link will, for the most part look very similar to how he did before too. I don't see how having the option there is anything but a good thing unless you're close-minded.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never saw what hangs between the dude's legs as a key character component of Link in particular - or should I say, all 10 or so of the completely different people who are collectively referred to as "Link" outside of the games themselves - which all let you enter your own name for the player character.

Frankly you could retcon any Zelda to have a gender option and the only thing that would ever have to be changed for series consistency is when a later game in the timeline references an earlier one, in which case you'd just have to change any reference to the player character of that game as "boy" into "child" or "hero".

• Thumbs Up 3