Awoo.

*SUPER* Mario Maker (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Has any mario game ever done that?Although it would be more flexible but I really think that's unnecessary. Would actually be kind of an odd  level design I'd say. Like you reveal a passage with fire flower and a secret power up awaits but you lose the fire flower so that punishes you from not getting the actual  award like a propeller? 

But in super Mario maker, you can make anything work so I dunno. 

No main Mario game ever had enemies stacked on top of one another either. Mario Maker does a LOT of things that don't work in "normal" Mario games.

Huh, GameXplain discovered that you can place checkpoints at any angle. Interesting. They have all the same angles as the arrows do. Checkpoints can even be in midair (though obviously you still need to be able to complete the stage from the checkpoint, so you can't just have people die right away, but I'm sure they'll find trolly ways to make it really difficult to continue).

Another factor is that it seems you might be limited to one checkpoint per area; one in a main area and one in a subarea. They're not quite sure on this one yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Checkpoints, pretty cool addition. although honestly, it really should have been there to begin with.

Checkpoints, pretty cool addition. although honestly, it really should have been there to begin with.

I think the complexity of how they need to work is why they weren't there to begin with.

Glad to see checkpoints are here, and they can't be used for Kaizo traps.

Now just give us more boss characters (Boom Boom and the Koopalings, at least), and I'll be happy.

Beyond checkpoints, all I really want are slopes and night-time backgrounds. However, more bosses would be cool too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Beyond checkpoints, all I really want are slopes and night-time backgrounds. However, more bosses would be cool too. 

I'd really like the ability to change the background beyond just changing the whole theme or using semi-solid platforms. Not necessarily every theme needs it, but some would be great.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd just like the ability to put end-of-level triggers on things besides the goal flags. Like, tag objects with them in the same way you would sound effects, and have the level end when there's no more of them left. You could do some pretty neat stuff with that, like levels built around coin collecting or chasing 1up mushrooms or, you know, actually having proper boss fights instead of jumping straight past Bowser at the first available opportunity.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd just like the ability to put end-of-level triggers on things besides the goal flags. Like, tag objects with them in the same way you would sound effects, and have the level end when there's no more of them left. You could do some pretty neat stuff with that, like levels built around coin collecting or chasing 1up mushrooms or, you know, actually having proper boss fights instead of jumping straight past Bowser at the first available opportunity.

Keys are another possibility. Allow us to shake a door to create a key and lock. The lock can be an end-of-level trigger, otherwise it can be put on a door to prevent you from moving on. And you can attach a key to an enemy which will only be given to you if you defeat the enemy.

• Thumbs Up 6

BUMP - The update is live!

There's apparently 10 new Mystery Mushroom costumes, but only three are currently unlockable. Two more are coming later, though, which only makes half of them (assuming they're all in the same update).

Also, the ability to stack items on top of each other and have items work as other items has been patched. No more invisible blocks, no more having hard blocks or ice blocks being able to be turned into coins with a P switch, none of it works anymore. You can't even stack the blocks anymore (if you already had blocks stacked they'll remain stacked, but only the block visible on top actually shows up and works in the game itself).

Anyway, I updated my Kongquest stage to include checkpoints and remove the glitch blocks:

In a similar vein I've updated 3 levels to include checkpoints and tiered powerups (denoted by a C at the end of the version number) and deleted the two levels built around showcasing the block stacking glitch. Hopefully the inclusion of checkpoints makes Crescent Moon Mansion finally bearable to play now at the very least. :P

Crescent Moon Mansion v1.3C (A7F5-0000-00D6-81C4)
Midnight Sky Express v1.1C (C6B2-0000-00D6-8F99) (gonna keep the original level online as it feels bad to delete all data related to what seems to be my highest rated level atm, plus it's funny to put the old and new checkpoint systems side by side)
The Gate v1.2C (D9FA-0000-00D6-9E03)

Also gave a quick try to all the Event Courses before turning off the console for today. Really liked the Tri Force Heroes level and it was nice to see Arino again after not having seen his GameCenter episodes for so long, but after Arino's first level the remaining levels started to feel a bit underwhelming... Dunno why, maybe it's an effect after being exposed to so many samey-feeling levels in Normal 100 Mario Challenge.

So, this is interesting... Either this update added about another 100 costumes (approx.) or they have fillers in here. But they could potentially slowly add new costumes like this for a while, and he can't hack the data to get the sprites out either due to how they're saved the sprites this time around.

Aww, our Nintendo is growing up and learning! But seriously, I'm really excited for all of these potential costumes.

Edited by JaidynReiman

The only downside to the checkpoint update is that, like in World/NSMB, checkpoints automatically turn Small Mario into Super Mario.  One of my more difficult stages requires Mario to be small the whole time or else it breaks the puzzles, so in order to add checkpoints I have to force the player through a hazard after each checkpoint to turn them back into small Mario (as well as place a Super Mushroom on the spawn point so a player who has just come back to life can survive these same hazards).

I've updated two of my stages to have checkpoints, so without further explanation:

Powerup Plant (Ver 1.1):
Posted Image
5EF8-0000-00D7-46AE

Sky Scuffle (Ver 1.1):
Posted Image
2656-0000-00D7-4FA3

EDIT:

Here's Bowser's Battleground (Ver 1.2) as well:

o443BO2.jpg

3C5A-0000-00D7-E758

Edited by Shade Vortex
Added a third stage to the post.

Here's my newest creation,  now featuring the usage of checkpoints as well!WVW69iiv1zQ_8FXj8O

Battle-Airship Blowout (D3E6-0000-00D6-8B56)

Edited by Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon

I've been pretty active on the Mario Maker front... I've already shelled out a new stage!

Lanky Lair:

d7xmIqe.jpg

6D4E-0000-00DD-1EE0

This  is a SMB1-style castle stage that makes use of the Weird Mushroom powerup people call Lanky Mario. There's checkpoints and even an infinite supply of the Weird Mushroom for the parts that require it, so hopefully you guys like this stage.

Edited by Shade Vortex

I know it's probably a weird thing to mention, but am I the only one who's so completely sick of these autoscroll levels? Oh wow, you can hit me with a spring, and do the level for me. That's cool and all, but when I play a level, I want to actually...you know, PLAY the level, not have a computer play the level for me. It's rather annoying to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know it's probably a weird thing to mention, but am I the only one who's so completely sick of these autoscroll levels? Oh wow, you can hit me with a spring, and do the level for me. That's cool and all, but when I play a level, I want to actually...you know, PLAY the level, not have a computer play the level for me. It's rather annoying to be honest.

I like the ones that are GOOD. Some of them are interesting and fun to see. Others are slow, boring, and monotonous. I'm fine with a few good ones, but a ton are just crap, and if you get a ton of them in a row on 100 Mario Challenge it gets boring no matter how good some look.

Although, I don't call that autoscroll. Autoscroll implies that the stage screen scrolls on its own, but that's not the same thing as an autoplay level, where the level plays itself.

• Thumbs Up 2

The term I see for them most often is Auto-Mario. And yeah, I'd say they're pretty boring. I feel like there's a limit to how interesting you can make them, and while some of them are okay, it's pretty ridiculous that I'll sometimes encounter 4 or more of them in a single 100 Mario challenge, playing on the normal difficulty setting.

• Thumbs Up 2

The name I'm familiar with is "automatic" levels...  As with any gimmick, the spectacle diminishes on repeated use.

I got bored of Mario Maker fast. Like really fast. I only made two levels due to the amount of planning I have to put into making something actually decent; I'm just not the kind of person who can create a wide variety of things in sandbox games, and I regret buying the game due to my inhibitions. And there's the obvious issue of the majority of players not being professional level designers, so 99 percent of levels in 100 Mario Challenge are actually horrible.

It's a great game, but I just couldn't get the mileage out of it that everyone else has.

By the way, if your level spams sound effects to the point of deafening, then fuck you

Edited by Sean

It's the only level archtype that makes me want to try one of two things: beat the level normally, or let it play on it's own until the very end and then I'll force a death + skip. Usually I do the latter as it feels like the most peaceful way to protest against this already overdone gimmick. :P

And I'm with Sean too. I haven't even done a new level with the checkpoint or tiered power-up gimmick yet, it still feels somewhat unmotivating to keep going after 16 or so levels as not only I feel like I've covered most of what I could think of, I also can't get any inspiration whatsoever as 100 Mario Challenge has become utterly boring to play through, even on Expert. It's like I'm playing the same levels over and over, very rarely do I seem to get across interesting ideas in the game. Also it's becoming more and more apparent that the editor is still a bit limited in what it can do, despite being one really easy editor to get the hang with.

I can only hope a future v2.0 update will bring many more tools to the table, and possibly an upgrade or revamp to the Course World to at least allow levels to be tagged and searched according to those tags... something that helps us find specific ideas and work them out properly, dunno.

Edited by MickX
Coerent sentences, I should write them.
  • Thumbs Up 1