Awoo.

Mario Party 10 (Wii U)

Winston

The review scores don't surprise me whatsoever either, these types of games never tend to get above an average of around 6 or 7 out of 10. Admittedly that's a reflection on the general state of the genre rather than an excuse, but even so, at least it's on the higher end of "average"... although I can certainly understand why that would not be enough for some, if not most, people to give this game a try. Heck, I know I felt the exact same way back when it was announced, I was sure it would be mediocre and I was sure I wouldn't give a damn about it.

HoweverAs someone who never played Mario Party 9 and hasn't touched a single Mario Party game - or indeed, any party game really - at all since Mario Party 8 came out, like... eight years ago, seriously?!... I can't help but feel some sort of curiosity to give MP10 a whirl. I played every single game in the series up to that point and always picked them up on release back when they were being churned out yearly, and by the end I was totally burned out on it. Mario Party 2, 3, 4 and 5 were the peak for me, after that it all just became way too samey and boring. So to try out a Mario Party game with a different playstyle and some interesting, albeit undercooked spins on the formula might just scratch that party-sized itch of mine. I don't have many multiplayer-centric Wii U games at the moment barring Mario Kart and Smash Bros, but both of those require everyone to have some level of skill to properly get the most out of, this would be a pretty accessible pick up and play experience for anyone.

So yeah, mixed review scores or not, I might give this a chance. Definitely won't be shelling out for the new amiibo though, I think the reviews have confirmed that much - oh Amiibo Party, you looked quite promising, too...

The review scores don't surprise me whatsoever either, these types of games never tend to get above an average of around 6 or 7 out of 10. Admittedly that's a reflection on the general state of the genre rather than an excuse, but even so, at least it's on the higher end of "average"... although I can certainly understand why that would not be enough for some, if not most, people to give this game a try. Heck, I know I felt the exact same way back when it was announced, I was sure it would be mediocre and I was sure I wouldn't give a damn about it.

HoweverAs someone who never played Mario Party 9 and hasn't touched a single Mario Party game - or indeed, any party game really - at all since Mario Party 8 came out, like... eight years ago, seriously?!... I can't help but feel some sort of curiosity to give MP10 a whirl. I played every single game in the series up to that point and always picked them up on release back when they were being churned out yearly, and by the end I was totally burned out on it. Mario Party 2, 3, 4 and 5 were the peak for me, after that it all just became way too samey and boring. So to try out a Mario Party game with a different playstyle and some interesting, albeit undercooked spins on the formula might just scratch that party-sized itch of mine. I don't have many multiplayer-centric Wii U games at the moment barring Mario Kart and Smash Bros, but both of those require everyone to have some level of skill to properly get the most out of, this would be a pretty accessible pick up and play experience for anyone.

So yeah, mixed review scores or not, I might give this a chance. Definitely won't be shelling out for the new amiibo though, I think the reviews have confirmed that much - oh Amiibo Party, you looked quite promising, too...

With the knowledge that Mario Party 8 came out 8 years ago, its hard to imagine that these games used to be YEARLY. Wow.

GameRankings score is currently 64.78% (18 reviews), with the Metacritic score at a similar 65 rating (28 reviews). By comparison, the previous Mario Party 9 garnered better scores (GR = 75.05%; MC = 73). Seems that Nintendo and Nd Cube ran whatever novelty the new Mario Party gameplay structure had into the ground pretty quick!

...though in fairness, maybe Mario Party 10 would had felt more fresh if Nd Cube wasn't tasked to churning out another party game before it (Wii Party U, whose review scores are pretty similar to MP10). Or if it had online multiplayer like Mario and Sonic 2014 (the mediocre critical reception and poor commercial response to that game notwithstanding...), I recall a fair amount of people dismissing the game on the principle of it lacking online both here and at Neogaf.

Mario Party 9 probably did a bit better scores-wise because it was directly preceded by Mario Party 8, which most people agree is one of the absolute low points of the series with its waggle-infested minigames and uninspired gameplay. And oh god, those hideous, hideous graphics...! The change in direction was likely a breath of fresh air at that point, even if it wasn't entirely uncontroversial. It was new, it was different, it gave the series a kick up the backside even if it was in the wrong direction.

Mario Party 10 meanwhile is pretty much "Mario Party 9 in HD with some GamePad and amiibo functionality". Factor in that we've had a good few years in between Mario Party 9 and this one - a time in which, honestly, I thought they'd put the series to rest for good to focus on stuff like Wii Party instead - and it really doesn't feel like the much needed update it should be. Clearly, it's just a new Mario Party game for the sake of having a new Mario Party game, throwing in the Wii U's new features as its major selling point.

Mario Party 11 - if there is ever such a game - needs to be something truly special for the series, even if it's just to the point of tightening the existing mechanics to perfection rather than a total overhaul. I'll give this one a free pass because it's been a long time and I'm yet to experience the "party bus" gameplay, but yeah, if this series is to continue, things need sorting out pronto.

To think Mario party 10 would of been something grand because this is the 10th Mario party game.

I will probably enjoy this game either way since I did have a lot of fun with mp9, The mini games were awesome!

I heard you have to scan your Amiibo every single time you roll your dice...

that sounds ridiculously stupid.

I heard you have to scan your Amiibo every single time you roll your dice...

that sounds ridiculously stupid.

Yeah, that's definitely true. As you say, quite a baffling design choice. I guess it's to make the amiibo feel more interactive with the game or something, but... yeah, not a good move.

I think you can also just press A on the GamePad to perform the same function, but seeing as everyone will be playing with Wiimotes, it still means you have to pass the GamePad around to the respective player. Why you can't just use your Wiimote like in the normal modes is beyond me.

That sure is pretty stupid but I think I can deal with it, Im pretty sure im gonna have at least me and my bro play the amiibo mode so it wont bother us too much. But its still stupid. 

On the other hand im actually gonna avoid spoiling myself with this game I guess, I wanna explore these mini games on my own instead of figuring out almost every minigame before the game even comes out. (Which I did in mario party 9 lol) 

Im pretty sure there isnt that many bowser minigames too, i think ive seen them all but who cares they still looked fun.

Edit: Well shit, I just watched Gamexplains review and that kinda hurt the excitement, He didn't really mention about minigames. I hope most of them are fun

also no story this time? I kinda liked having abit of story like they did in MP9. 

Im pretty sure there isnt that many bowser minigames too, i think ive seen them all but who cares they still looked fun.

There's 10 Bowser minigames in total.

And for the record, Bowser Party only lets you play on 3 of the game's 5 main boards.

And to think bowser being the main character of this game you would expect a whole bunch of things from bowser party mode. 

I plan on getting the game at some point. Sure, what I'm hearing about the amiibo functionality isn't so good, but...that Wario board! So many references!

Watched some of the reviews, I'm extremely disappointed.

They somehow went backwards from Mario Party 9. Less boards to play on and less minigames. The Bowser mode is ridiculously one sided which ruins the fun. The Amiibo mode is completely forgettable due to stupid design decisions, extreme linearity, and lifeless boards.

The Amiibo mode should have never been included with the game. Maybe package it on the eShop for dirt cheap considering how barebones it is. Mario Party 10 should have been the main focus. The lack of balance and lack of content hurts the overall package.

I did get this game for free so I guess I'll have to see for myself.

The IGN review is here, scoring a 6.5

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/17/mario-party-10-review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huk7WFOOD-g

This quote pretty much sums it up:

If Mario Party 10 is your first Mario Party, I think you're going to have a great time. If, like me, you've been Mario Partying for 17 years straight, you might feel like quietly slipping out the back.

Mario Party 10 release worldwide with it's amiibo lineup of figures today, remember to check your windows and doors if you preordered the game, because of the UPS truck, Fedex truck, and the USPS, United States Postal Service. 

So far the mini games are great! Loving them so far.

I got a favorite, its the one were you jump over snowballs and slide under the seals. The last sprint part can lead to some hilarious comebacks.

The music is not too great, its not as memorable as Mario party 9. Nothing really gets me pumped up or any cheerful ones.

I think bowser party can be fun with friends but its still an underwhelming mode, there is no point in playing it if your playing with just CPUs.

Mario party mode is pretty good but I wish the pace was a bit faster. I'm glad mini games show up more often than last time which is good.

I never tried amiibo mode yet and I got work so I have thoughts on that later tonight.

Apparently MP10 has been getting pretty meh reviews and game journalists are finally getting tired of these games coming out all the time?

I thought the journalists got tired of them a while ago?

That's the impression I got back when Hudson was still around to make the games.

Apparently MP10 has been getting pretty meh reviews and game journalists are finally getting tired of these games coming out all the time?

1) Reviewers have been tired from Day 1.

2) There was a 5 year break from MP8 to MP9 and a 3 year break from MP9 to MP10. They're actually not "coming out all the time"

At the very least they'd probably be better off not numbering future installments.  Even if there's a lot of difference between games, that many numbers of installments in a series gives the impression of iteration and exhaustion, which is also the critical vibe I'm getting.  If they aren't already, they should probably be taking the New Super Mario Bros. route of restricting it to one game per console generation from now on, save up their ideas and make something genuinely ambitious and surprising.

• Thumbs Up 1

Got this a day before launch, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Admittedly this is my first Mario Party game, so a) I'm not burnt out after nine previous games and B) I don't have any potentially better ones to compare it to, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it. Played it with my brother, and also brought it to my boyfriend's yesterday and played with him and one of his housemates.

I find all of the modes fun, although the amount of forced amiibo use in amiibo party mode can grate a little. It does feel a little shoehorned in and unnecessary, for sure.

That and Bowser is still a total DILF as always :P

• Thumbs Up 1

MP"10" There's 10 of them, did we really need 10?

MP10's the thirteenth installment, actually. :v There's Mario Party Advance (GBA), Mario Party DS (DS), and Mario Party Island Tour (3DS).

Also worth noting that Nd Cube (the new developer for the MP games, as well as Wii Party and Wii Party U) are largely comprised of the the old Hudson staff that made the old MP games. So aside from the new board game structure MP9 introduced, nothing's really changed.

• Thumbs Up 1

MP"10" There's 10 of them, did we really need 10?

2 decades, 10 console releases. Originally yes, the games were pumped out pretty quickly. However, there's been A LOT of time between the recent releases. Mario Party 8 at Wii's launch and 9's at Wii's death. 10 is probably going to be the only Wii U Mario Party.