Awoo.

Devil's Third (Wii U)

Carbo

Itagaki's game that's been MIA since the shuttering of THQ is alive and is confirmed to be a Wii U exclusive.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have never been one to complain about graphics, but the visuals look pretty damn basic to me.

Again, not a graphics guy, so might be hella wrong.

I was just going to make a thread about this. The graphics are not impressive but at least the gameplay looks decent. I'll keep an eye on this game fo sho'.

I have seen the multiplayer... and it is REDICULOUS, OVER the TOP, and even though I dislike this genre, I WANT THIS GAME

there is fruit and blender mode(and people can be thrown into the blender), rainbow chickens, ninja and cat costumes, B-26's and TBF Avengers... I see why this is on Nintendo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlv5CfVqhTI&feature=player_embedded

just watch multiplayer starting around the 2 minute mark

It looks insane

IGN interview, with juicy tidbits, and trailers without talking over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3Ndkwgr5eB8 Looks like he is taking the best of general modes, and a ton of unique ones for multiplayer

and the full story of the path to wii-u

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230661-itagaki-explains-devil-s-third-s-path-to-wii-u-genre-choice-and-strange-gameplay-details

Itagaki explains Devil's Third's path to Wii U, genre choice and strange gameplay details

Jun 11, 2014 by RawmeatCowboy

Coming from a Joystiq interview with Itagaki...

"We developed the game up to an early playable version at THQ but then there was the unfortunate end of that company. Then, when we went looking for partners and found Nintendo who really supported my vision. I'm not really sure if it would have been possible ten years ago to be honest, but I've had a long relationship with Nintendo going back to the Nintendo and Super Nintendo. Once I went independent, I definitely went over to Nintendo to say hello.

There will always be accidents on the battlefield. You have to find ways through those and adapt. The world has been through financial crises in the past few years yet we've all found ways to continue on. One thing that's different from my previous company is my relationship to the people I'm working with. Previously I wasn't necessarily responsible for hiring and taking care of everyone, but my position is different now and I feel a lot of responsibility for my team.

When people play this game I want them to think, 'What does it mean to live?' I want them to think about life itself. What does it mean to be alive? What does someone believe in a world like this? We're all citizens in a very fragile world order, as if it's made of a glass, that can shatter at any moment."

I'm not one to go looking for fights in back alleys. I prefer to find them in a big avenue. That's why I tried to pick the most major genre I could think of, the modern shooter. That's what led me to make Devil's Third."

- takes place place in an alternate United States
- all electronics and satellites have been destroyed
- the country is embroiled in a civil war with militias vying to control territory
- at one point you'll spot a soldier loading giant watermelons onto another soldiers back
- a soldier jumps off a building following a conga line of rainbow-colored chickens
- giant military propaganda posters with half-naked women pop up on screen

Link

One detail about this game that got lost amongst the THQ shuffle was that this game had already been the victim of another company going out of business, the company that made the game's engine went bust and delayed the game.  It seems to have wound up being for the best in terms of quality of the game as the environments are much more complex.  

Visual quality does seem out of date, though.  Not all that surprising considering its strange development history.  

By the way just because, here's the trailer from when it was at THQ:

Seems like this new game is almost from scratch.  

Someone finaly posted the multiplayer trailer alone, and I want to say, this insanity is why I want this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhYXd8E2KOE&feature=player_detailpage

• Thumbs Up 1

The graphics need a lot of polish, but the game looks really fun. If it wasn't for the Treehouse, I would not have given this thing another chance. I will wait for next E3 for them to polish these graphics to presentable levels. The multiplayer looks like it will be nuts though.

• 9 months later...

Oh this is still here, well there have been a few updates(Itakagi is active on facebook), and I'll find em later, but a few recaps:

Graphics and gameplay are polished quite a bit beyond E3, and the game is nearly(or is, can't remember for sure) done

Honestly I think we might get a release date come next direct

Edit: thanks to gaf, here's some of the latest stuff from Itakagi(last one is from last month... that may mean something... or his facebook just hasn't been checked in a while)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=937999

first, a non facebook quote from an interview

“It looks like Devil’s Third for Wii U is just about done. It’s been two years spent on designs, and four, six years of development,” Itagaki said. “We’ve really kept all of you fans waiting, but for our first title since going independent, it wouldn’t be fun if we released a small game, so [Devil’s Third] is the result of making something while going all out.”

“The single player is made to be like the action games of yesteryear,” he stated. “And the online competitive multiplayer mode was designed on a scale that will make you go ‘this much already?!’ The release date announcement will still take a little longer, but let’s play together when it releases. It’s loads of fun!!”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/30/tomonobu-itagaki-says-he-went-all-out-on-devils-third/#vfq0bvIG1ufGwa33.99

a couple of more recent facebook posts

Originally Posted by Tomonobu Itagaki

February 13, 2015 · Edited ·

Hey gamers gathering here.

I know you guys are craving for the latest information on Devil's Third. Devil's Third isn't a simple shooter, but an unprecedented massive shooter to be played by tons of players. So there's many things to set before we release it. The game contains a lot of elements well over the volume to be provided by two regular games.

This game will be the biggest game of life for me and my colleagues, including you guys, not to mention.
It took two years for the concept working and four years for the development. It's not surprising at all. Such amount of time is needed to create a totally new game from scratch. I'm sure you'll dig what I mean if I say we spent four years to develop Ninja Gaiden.

But, I know your mind. Such development matters have nothing to do with gamers. So I and all the members of Valhalla really appreciate that you guys have waited for Devil's Third for a long time.

What Devil's Third is?
Such announcement will be made over time. Thanks for your patiense. Devil's Third will meet you guys' expectation for sure!
Thanks again from the bottom of my heart.
Tomonobu Itagaki

Originally Posted by Tomonobu Itagaki

February 16, 2015 at 8:41am

Thank you everyone here from bottom of my heart.
My staff at Valhalla are working/playing/enjoying hard all day everyday.
Your kind words encourage us! Thanks again :)
I have to say that finished Devil's Third is almost completely different than the footage you picked up. First of all, you have to aware Ivan (protagonist of DT) is perfect bald man :V
He is cool.
You guys should use Pro-controller for Devil's Third.
no one says specific release date yet. thanks for your patience.
Again. You guys should use Pro-Controller, plus...secret. Sorry

• 2 months later...

With E3 coming up thought I'd pop this up, since most likely the marketing campaign will begin then. Honestly, what we saw at E3 last year was cool, though rough, but apparently it was out of date then, and the final version is supposed to be better, and Nintendo polish is capable of a ton. Not entirely my style but I am interested.

Personally I think the massive marketing campaign Itakagi was referring to will start at E3, due to the massive amount of exposure it could get there, and following up Splatoon, the older audience will want another more traditional shooter experience, and this could work really well. I think Nintendo is playing this smart with a one two with both games and massive exposure, which is why it isn't out yet

So basically it was in development hell like Versus XIII. Ok. Well, at least its finally almost complete. It also gives the Wii U a more realistic third-person shooter, too, right? Splatoon to be something new and different, and Devil's Third to be like more traditional realistic shooters.

So basically it was in development hell like Versus XIII. Ok. Well, at least its finally almost complete. It also gives the Wii U a more realistic third-person shooter, too, right? Splatoon to be something new and different, and Devil's Third to be like more traditional realistic shooters.

eh sorta, one of Itakagi's driving motiviations in the development of this is to do whatever you want to do and run with it. Essentially he wanted to take a standard genre and do his take on it and make it something fun and unique. calling it a traditional realistic shooter is like calling Burnout revenge a standard racing game. on some level it is, but it has a ton of aspects that aren't

For example: buildable online clan base, clan regional control map(not unheard of, but not common; in the US its most of NA[uS and parts of Canada), fully integrated melee element(not just a single weapon, but several dozen, each with different attributes, you can also throw and pick them up from enemy bodies), tons of mixable outfits(hats, clothes, etc; you can do cowboy ninjas!), tons of ridiculous support vehicles(full extent is unknown, as is use context, but helicopters, AAA, WW2 bombers, dive bombers, and fighters), tons of new and crazy modes alongside standard ones(fruit and blender mode, rainbow chickens, air drops)

Heck Itakagi himself said that there are 2 full retail games worth of content in the game, it looks to be extremely massive, and unique, but also some of the basics to draw in the normal crowd. This will need a strong and carefully planned marketing campaign, which is why they will probably start it at E3 building it with the Splatoon hype

The funny thing is, most games that go through development hell usually end up looking a lot worse than this, so it's kind of amazing that the game still looks pretty fun to play in spite of everything it's been through. It's just a shame it's getting nowhere near the publicity it needs - basically the first fucking rule of a good multiplayer game is that it needs a lot of good publicity, otherwise you end up in a situation like Anarchy Reigns and have the online community stagnate to the point that there's just nobody to play with.

E3 better be the turning point for that, otherwise the game is basically fucked before it's even launched.

The funny thing is, most games that go through development hell usually end up looking a lot worse than this, so it's kind of amazing that the game still looks pretty fun to play in spite of everything it's been through. It's just a shame it's getting nowhere near the publicity it needs - basically the first fucking rule of a good multiplayer game is that it needs a lot of good publicity, otherwise you end up in a situation like Anarchy Reigns and have the online community stagnate to the point that there's just nobody to play with.

E3 better be the turning point for that, otherwise the game is basically fucked before it's even launched.

All good points, though the thing to consider is that while Nintendo officially revealed it last year, they didn't launch it or put it in the spotlight yet. If they put a similar effort into it that they did for Splatoon, and build off of splatoon at E3 this year to start up the massive campaign for this one, they have a good shot. Itakagi said Nintendo was planning a massive campaign. Also this year is really prime when you consider that no third party shooters are being released on wii-u despite a decent base(as all the older ones still have decent online communities). They play their cards right, and it could have a pretty impressive impact. Heck Bayonetta 2 level marketing would do part of the trick as well... perhaps even Nineties style marketing dishing it out over how boring and stale the other third person shooters are

Nothing major, but a new quote from Itakagi from a more general interview... I get the feeling the massive marketing campaign will begin at E3, they could try to position this, Star Fox, and Xenoblade Chronicles X as their winter heavy hitters

http://gonintendo.com/stories/234298-itagaki-discusses-how-devil-s-third-is-different-from-their-previ

ITAGAKI DISCUSSES HOW DEVIL'S THIRD IS DIFFERENT FROM THEIR PREVIOUS GAMES, CONSIDER IT A 'WAR' GAME
26 May, 2015 by rawmeatcowboy |  Comments: 1
The following comes from Tomonobu Itagaki...
We always seek to innovate in games, and so it means they will not be the same. We’re currently working on a game called “Devil’s Third.” It is different than previous games up until now, as it is not just about fighting, but about diplomacy and forming treaties in the midst of a war in a realistic world setting. All of this is mashed up into one game. It is a world where peace is sought. My colleagues and I worked to put all this within a “war game.” Eventually it became a household game for the Wii U, but we are currently developing games for mobile too.

This game is looking more and more interesting

• 2 weeks later...

We got European release date and press release

http://gonintendo.com/stories/235443-devil-s-third-hits-europe-on-august-28th#comments

View image on Twitter
Follow
Nintendo of Europe ✔@NintendoEurope
Devil's Third will arrive on #WiiU on 28th August!
4:00 AM - 10 Jun 2015
   107 107 Retweets  110 110 favorites

http://gonintendo.com/stories/235454-devil-s-third-full-european-press-release

DEVIL'S THIRD - FULL EUROPEAN PRESS RELEASE
10 June, 2015 by br26 |  Comments: 0
10th June 2015 – Conceived by legendary designer Tomonobu Itagaki, a wild, larger-than-life military thriller, Devil’s Third, is set to release for Wii U on 28th August, delivering intense single-player and multiplayer third-person action that blends modern military weaponry with brutal melee combat.
At the heart of the single-player campaign is Ivan, a former mercenary let loose from his incarceration to right the wrongs of his past and take down a shadowy terrorist group he once belonged to. With the world’s satellites and electrical weaponry having been wiped out, and warfare once again reduced to close combat between soldiers, Ivan must use a colourful array of weaponry to shoot, hack and bludgeon his way through any foe standing in the way of his attempt at redemption. With fast-paced combat and bone-crunching finishing moves galore, a day in the life of Ivan is anything but ordinary…
The game’s online multiplayer mode, meanwhile, offers up a grim future whereby the terrorists have won, and chaos reigns supreme. As an ordinary citizen, you can join a clan and help reclaim the United States by forming allegiances with other factions, or go all-out as a mercenary and endlessly assault other player’s bases, opting for anarchy over clan diplomacy! But at the heart of the online play is the ability to customise your base alongside other members of your clan, with successful battling resulting in rewards that can be used to improve your defences. With constant assaults from other clans, you’ll have to be on your toes to defend your territory.
Experience Ivan’s bloodthirsty quest to restore his karma, or dive into a world of online clans and non-stop combat, when Devil’s Third releases in Europe on 28th August, at retail and on Nintendo eShop for Wii U.
Please note Devil’s Third will be available only with English voiceover, but with choice of English or French on-screen texts.
For further details:
Devil’s Third website http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Devil-s-Third-896464.html#Overview
Wii U website http://wiiu.co.uk
Wii U (UK) on Facebook http://facebook.com/WiiU.co.uk
Nintendo UK on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/NintendoUK
Nintendo of Europe on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendoeurope
Nintendo UK on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendouk
Nintendo UK on Instagram https://instagram.com/nintendouk/

Japanese box art

81LQ5EPLSkL._SL1500_.jpg

Japanese trailer https://youtu.be/ked9LPANFko

I'm expecting the US kickoff at E3

Edit: Vehicle combat confirmed!

71PYjMYi40L._SL1500_.jpg

From the amazon Japan page

Edit: Vehicle combat confirmed!

71PYjMYi40L._SL1500_.jpg

From the amazon Japan page

I didn't know that Motorstorm: Arctic Edge was coming to Wii U! ;)

Heh, ridable vehicles seemed like the only thing that was missing from the game before now. Guns with both third and first person aiming, melee fighting, throwable weapons, customizable players, RTS-esque building placement, airstrikes, fucking fruit blending? I swear this game has a little bit of just about goddamned everything, it's insane.

Heh, ridable vehicles seemed like the only thing that was missing from the game before now. Guns with both third and first person aiming, melee fighting, throwable weapons, customizable players, RTS-esque building placement, airstrikes, fucking fruit blending? I swear this game has a little bit of just about goddamned everything, it's insane.

• 2 weeks later...

We still don't know why it skipped E3 entirely, unless they have a separate advertising plan, but its pretty obvious why both it and Fatal Frame V skipped the digital event, both are most likely M in the US, and we got the EU rating and boxart now

devils_third_box_art.jpg

http://gonintendo.com/stories/236546-devil-s-third-eu-boxart#comments

Big N tends to keep the big digital Event clean, doesn't explain why it skipped the treehouse though

• 3 weeks later...

...Well that sucks. Shame to hear it's not that good either. =I Where the hell has Unseen64 been getting all this info from lately anyway?