Awoo.

StarFox Zero (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

vPJLoDI.jpg

StarFox.JPG

Source

In his new version of Star Fox — still fundamentally a spaceship-based shooter — players now use the GamePad’s motion controls to aim and fire the Arwing’s weapons, simultaneously controlling the nimble craft itself by thumbing the joysticks to accelerate or turn and pull off signature moves like barrel rolls, loops and the tactically essential Immelman turn. And you can still morph your Arwing into a land tank, rocketing down to the surface of a planet, then rattling around the battlefield and laying waste to the landscape.

But Miyamoto and his team have added a new vehicle mode, one that’s designed to exemplify the new motion control scheme: It lets up to two players pilot a helicopter-like craft, one player controlling the helicopter itself, the other controlling a tiny robot you can drop from a tether to roll around a limited area, either snatching up booty or blasting enemies. Leave the robot hanging as you fly around the battlefield and it becomes a kind of dangling, swingable cannon.

Project Giant Robot and Project Guard are still considered experimental at this point, and Star Fox is at least a year away, but I had a chance to sit down with Mr. Miyamoto after trying all three.

Miyamoto: We originally began working with Star Fox back on Wii, and we had a small group of people experimenting with it for many years, maybe about six years, but we didn’t find an idea that really brought that together for the Wii. So instead we moved experimentation to the Wii U using some of the same assets. It’s been maybe 6 to 10 months that we’ve been experimenting with it.

With Star Fox, one thing we’re doing is to make the game feel like you’re piloting your own aircraft. And so in that sense, probably initially one of the best ways to play is to have it up in front of you, in your line of sight from the TV. But also as I’ve been playing Star Fox more and more, what I’ve noticed is that it gets easier to play the game looking at the TV with the GamePad down. So as you get better, you’re gradually able to depart from holding it up.

What inspired Star Fox‘s new helicopter vehicle?

With the helicopter, we’ve been thinking of the two-screen gameplay, and so that was one of the early ideas. One of the things we’re considering at this point is making the helicopter so you could have two pilots, two people playing together, and what that’ll allow is you could have one player piloting the helicopter, and another player who’s using another controller to control the robot.

In the case of the Arwing spaceship, if you have two pilots, they’re most likely going to be sitting front-to-back, and you’ll have one piloting, the other able to look around. When you have someone piloting but someone else who can look around, what’s most beneficial to the person who’s looking around is the ability to look down below. In designing the Arwing we couldn’t quite think of a good way to have to redesign it so you’d have one player who could look down below. Thus we decided to create the helicopter.

You said at the event that all of these games might be related. In what way? As part of a single Star Fox game? Or as something more multiform and arcade-like, like Nintendo Land?

Honestly I don’t have a clear idea myself yet, but one thing I’m thinking is that with this Star Fox we may take a different approach, so that rather than one big title we have multiple releases that are connected through different missions. If I was to describe the Star Fox series up until now as being sort of a movie series, I guess I’d describe this new approach as something that’s more like a TV series for Star Fox.

Many of you already saw & read this earlier when it was leaked, but it wasn't supposed to be published until 1pm. Lot's of sites are now talking about it, so figured I'd wait until now to make a topic.

Hopefully, we'll see some gameplay of it at the Nintendo Treehouse.

But yeah, A new Starfox game is in development for the Wii-U, about a Year away. Control scheme sounds interesting enough, as does the TV-Movie comparison.

Discuss.

• Thumbs Up 4

OH MY FUCKING GOD IT'S REAL

IT'S REALLY REAL

AJSKDBASKDHASBFKASBAHKSDBAKHDBA

They better not mess this up or I swear.

• Thumbs Up 3

From what I've heard, it basically sounds like its Star Fox 64 but extended. Still, new Star Fox is good. Really good.

We've gone how long without a Starfox?

Honestly, the summaries sound nice, but I'm not impressed without any videos.

Gamepad-to-screen aiming better NOT be mandatory.

Otherwise holy shit, Nintendo. You did it. It's been 89,000 years. ;_;

GamePad controls will make or break this. There's no need for unnecessary gimmicks.

I can't wait for the footage. The description of it sounds pretty awesome already, and the existance alone is fantastic, but...I wanna see footage and get really, REALLY hyped already >__<

I think at this point we can safely say Falco and Wolf will be back in Smash Bros.

Motion Control gimmicks aside, please for the love of god keep the story simple.

Just have the StarFox team travel the galaxy, shooting up some bad guys.

No love triangles, no Krystal, no third person shooters, no RTS touch screen gameplay,

Just try to distance yourself as far away from Command's continuity as possible. Starting over from Starfox 64 3D would be the best way to go Ninty.

Oh man so excited to learn more about this, the fact that we actually have a new, HD Star Fox coming along is making me impatient as it is. I can deal with the controls from what was described, I just hope they're good.

Welcome back Fox & Star Fox team!

I don't mind what way we control the Arwings (I enjoyed Commands stylus play) just glad the series is back smile.png

Two player sounds awesome but what I'm really hoping for is 4~16 player co-op squad based dogfights.

... *wonders what'll happen if you use Fox's Smash Bros amiibo in Star Fox U*

Honestly I don’t have a clear idea myself yet, but one thing I’m thinking is that with this Star Fox we may take a different approach, so that rather than one big title we have multiple releases that are connected through different missions. If I was to describe the Star Fox series up until now as being sort of a movie series, I guess I’d describe this new approach as something that’s more like a TV series for Star Fox.

DLC story?

Motion Control gimmicks aside, please for the love of god keep the story simple.

Just have the StarFox team travel the galaxy, shooting up some bad guys.

No love triangles, no Krystal, no third person shooters, no RTS touch screen gameplay,

Just try to distance yourself as far away from Command's continuity as possible. Starting over from Starfox 64 3D would be the best way to go Ninty.

#krystal4wiiustarfox2k14

• Thumbs Up 2

no Krystal

Get out.

Now.

Great to know there's a new Starfox again, and I do like the ideas behind it! But now...I wanna see some gameplay! ><

Well, I'm happy for the most part, but if this:

Is mandatory, they can go fuck themselves.

If pulled off correctly, it could potentially work with Gamepad motion controls. This is Nintendo, not SEGA. yeah I just said that.

Get out.

Now.

M-Meanie...

Bc0m3LF.png

But seriously,Krystal (Or should I say, Kursed) is pretty bad tho.

• Thumbs Up 2

M-Meanie...

Bc0m3LF.png

But seriously,Krystal (Or should I say, Kursed) is pretty bad tho.

Not really. Hardly did anything worth sucking or worthwhile in Adventures, and she wasn't that bad in Assault.

I've hardly played Command, so I couldn't care less about the drama that goes on in it.

I thought that blurred gameplay from miyamoto was Starfox, I saw this thread and my god I'm hyperventilating!

I need this game

Now

Not really. Hardly did anything worth sucking or worthwhile in Adventures, and she wasn't that bad in Assault.

I've hardly played Command, so I couldn't care less about the drama that goes on in it.

I've played Command, the drama can be really shit at times.

I haven't played in a while and my DS charger is fucked but I think there is an actual story arc where you just go to like 3-4 different stages as Fox(solo I think or with constantly changing teammates) just looking for her.

That's why.

She was alright in Adventures and Assault. But in Command she was the absolute worst.

But 'nuff about Command. That continuity is dead now (hopefully). Bad story or not, at least Starfox Wii-U sounds like it has good gameplay.

"Miyamoto: We originally began working with Star Fox back on Wii, and we had a small group of people experimenting with it for many years, maybe about six years, but we didn’t find an idea that really brought that together for the Wii. So instead we moved experimentation to the Wii U using some of the same assets. It’s been maybe 6 to 10 months that we’ve been experimenting with it."

So the whole time.. they DID care.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't want them to outright drop Krystal. I'd like them to keep all the characters from Command, but cut Command from the timeline all-together. Make it a simpler game and continue after Assault.

We'll see, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd prefer the motion controls be optional as well, but as long as there are no RTS elements, I'll be happy.  Can't wait to see more! <3

Man, I was so happy to hear about a new Star Fox game, but then I read about the controls. I already hate gyro controls in games like Zelda, so I really don't want them to be mandatory. It sounds like the game is built around them, though. All I wanted was a normal Star Fox game and not something to show off the GamePad. Hopefully Nintendo can still convince me on this.

Don't like the sound of this either:

You said at the event that all of these games might be related. In what way? As part of a single Star Fox game? Or as something more multiform and arcade-like, like Nintendo Land?

So Project Giant Robot and Guardian might be part of this? :-/ Doesn't seem like stuff I'd want in it.