Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

Hmmm, its almost as if this was Nintendo's first attempt at an online shooter game, oh wait it is

Well, yeah, but the fact that they didn't even include features such as friend lobbies and voice chat even though MK8 has both of these (private chat but still) just boggles the mind!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm, its almost as if this was Nintendo's first attempt at an online shooter game, oh wait it is

Yet they missed out something at launch that is so basic that even previous Nintendo games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros had. Friend lobbies date back even before the Wii U in Nintendo games. It's such a stupid thing to omit that "it's their first online shooter" isn't an excuse. They have done online games before, and they have done them right. I don't understand why Splatoon is missing features that are not only painfully standard but features that were in previous Nintendo titles.

Then don't charge $60 if you can't compete with people that do this shit way better than you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Carbo's stated it multiple times, the only possible explanation for it is that Nintendo just didn't expect Splatoon to grow as big as it did. It doesn't mean it's a justified omission but that should answer anyone going "I don't understand why it's this" especially since they're aiming to rectify it

• Thumbs Up 5

Lmao, I don't quite understand why you're so quick to defend but not to judge. Of course it's their first try, but it doesn't omit the basic fucking mistakes they've made, amiibo being the least of their issues.

Oh and fuck you, Metroid Prime Hunters' online was swag.

• Thumbs Up 8

Metroid Prime Hunters, crazy how people has forgot a such title like this,

Edit: already got tell, but at least MPH was enjoyable then MP2 MP.

Honestly, despite the limited online features, I like what I see here. Despite the demo's times being a little too much for me (God damn the one on Friday is basically telling me to stay up all night, and I'll have to give up the one that starts 8 AM in the morning for me so I can get a good enough sleep after that), I'll definitely give it a shot. I've always wanted to play this game, and if there is anything in the world to convince me to get a game, it's a demo.

So question, what time does the first demo session start in eastern time?

So question, what time does the first demo session start in eastern time?

11 PM-12PM EST.

You're gonna have to stay up late on that one.

11 PM-12PM EST.

You're gonna have to stay up late on that one.

Welp, i'm probably out then since I have to be to work in the morning, hopefully I can catch saturday :/

Thats pretty cool that nintendo would think of colorblind people too, more dev's should really do this.

I'll be doing the demo on Saturday. So, how does the online in the demo work?

I downloaded the demo already to be prepped for today. I wasn't going to miss out getting a taste of the multiplayer.

My brother refuses to play with me because he's convinced the demo is going to lag like crazy.

Kind of amazing that Nintendo went out of their way to include a function that should be obligatory in every shooter game (colourblind setting / colour picking) yet somehow isn't, and somehow neglected to include a function that is obligatory to every shooter game despite having no reason not to.

Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpg

I literally don't understand how Smash Bros.'s amiibo functionality can operate without having an amiibo. It's like those toys were designed for that game specifically, there's no way that kind of feature can work as shop-bought content

It's not to say Amiibo fighters don't benefit from the physical media part of Amiibo figurines if nothing else, but honestly, anyone here who's even dabbled in Chao raising can probably tell you that they'd still work fine without the toys. It's not like the Amiibo themselves actually have complex AI patterns that can analyze how a player plays a game - all of that is handled by the game's own programming. Conversely, the Amiibo's own role in this is essentially being a wireless storage medium.

Which is kind of a shame to me, because if Nintendo actually went out of their way to make an Amiibo teach itself to play any game by watching the player they'd definently hold a lot more value to me. Right now they're pretty much just collectible season passes.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that amiibos act as physical storage is important. One of the major draws of FP characters is being able to use them on any copy of the game and make them fight with friends' other FPs.

The toys are necessary in Smash's case.

• Thumbs Up 2

While I am still looking forward to the game, I can't say I feel happy with the game being incomplete at launch. We are in an industry that relies way too much on patches and updates to complete a game just so it can meet a deadline, even if it harms the quality of the game. In Splatoon's case, I feel that it unfortunetly harms the initial launch which is a pretty bad scenario as word of mouth will get around, and negative word of mouth often negates positive when it comes to the gaming community. Not only that, but if they don't add new content regularly enough people will simply become fed up of waiting and stop playing.

Another issue is, how large will these updates be in terms of file size? The Wii U's storage (both models) is laughable at best and not all kids are going to have a USB storage device they can use. This is another issue with pushing content into patches, if a kid has the basic system with no external storage they are basically out of luck thanks to an oversight on Nintendo's part. If they can somehow keep the file size down however, it shouldn't be a problem.

One thing's for sure though, launching with five maps and one mode in an online multiplayer shooter that you have to pay for is not a good decision. If it was free to play then I would understand....but it's not. Luckily the price is low in non-US regions (fuck you NoA) so that cools the burn off, but I hope they don't do this again and with a more expensive title.

Another issue is, how large will these updates be in terms of file size? The Wii U's storage (both models) is laughable at best and not all kids are going to have a USB storage device they can use. This is another issue with pushing content into patches, if a kid has the basic system with no external storage they are basically out of luck thanks to an oversight on Nintendo's part. If they can somehow keep the file size down however, it shouldn't be a problem.

One thing's for sure though, launching with five maps and one mode in an online multiplayer shooter that you have to pay for is not a good decision. If it was free to play then I would understand....but it's not. Luckily the price is low in non-US regions (fuck you NoA) so that cools the burn off, but I hope they don't do this again and with a more expensive title.

I dunno. You really don't need a full TB HD unless you're planning to only buy digitally. Really, all you need is a little USB stick. And seeing as a 32GB one, at least for me, was fairly cheap... I'm pretty sure most folks could afford that.

I agree with you on the price outside the US though. ( 70$ CAD, what the hell. Is it gold plated or something? )

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I can't stress that enough that the quantity of maps don't make a difference. I've played multiple shooters and it's usually 1-2 maps that are replayed over and over because they're so good. Maps have been added to these games but they don't matter because they're rarely picked from the rotation table.

Nintendo has done DLC right and we've seen it. Smash Bros will be getting a year of updates and Mario Kart added over half a game. Pikmin 3 also had some cool DLC. If Nintendo can continually provide updates to Splatoon then by the time things get "old", we will have new content. Mario Kart 8 DLC rejuvenated its life.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just heard that the game had a colourblind setting;

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/596427343087816705

My boyfriend's overjoyed at that, he's colourblind and has a hard time with colour-specific things in games as a result.

Sweet, really thinking about everyone (except the people who want chat) Nintendo! Props to you!

Splatoon to me sounds a good game, and as others have said - quality over quantity. And of course, free updates adding to the game.

A small fear is that the primary mode might not be good enough to hold the game until Ranked Matches and new modes come into play. While games like Battlefield and Call of Duty have the same core concept, they still launch with a shelf-load of modes. Splatoon will only have one until aforementioned Ranked Matches and new modes do come into play.

I suppose we'll find out when the demo starts up. Just five and a half hours to go.

Imma be honest, I haven't been following this game in quite a while. I'm still eager to play it though, and I'm even more excited now that I've just now heard that there's a demo coming out tonight. The limited time is really questionable though, but I shouldn't be surprised that Nintendo's made yet another questionable decision.