Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

Whoo! That was fun! At first it was a little awkward with the gyro camera controls but I got used to it. But during the last match I was wishing for voice chat. My teammates were idiots, they kept trying to kill the other team while I was the only one trying to claim turf. And because of that they failed to see the other team had claimed over half of the map and we lost.

Game is really solid IMO. a lot of the nitpicking about online structure/chat/whatever feels kind of petty in the face of how fun it is. 

I just realized the term scrub is perfect for Splatoon because its like :

"You're terrible at this game. Go scrub up all the ink after the match."

"All of it?"

"BY HAND!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Game is really solid IMO. a lot of the nitpicking about online structure/chat/whatever feels kind of petty in the face of how fun it is.

The game plays fun, but it's really kinda narrow-minded to ignore it's shortcomings.

Oh yeah, the connection was just fine for me. No errors except for full lobbies. Unfortunately I never encountered one of the Treehouse members. ;-;

The game plays fun, but it's really kinda narrow-minded to ignore it's shortcomings.

It's narrowminded to focus on a fun new game not being exactly like everything that game before- not the opposite.

Open mindedness would imply being open to a new game not having everything your other favs do.

I'm open to playing splatoon without voicechat, and I'm eager to see what they have in store for the final game. definitely gonna play the next demo sessions as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

lol, i do love the roller, you can also kill trade with it. i kill trade against two roller in the same time lol. the server turn out to be good to, overall am glad to be part of it.

So yeah.

I played Splatoon.

Holy crap.

I need this game now.

So, what I thought of it?

Well., for starters, Splatoon not only looks fun to play, but IT IS fun to play. The game moves at a solid 60fps and throughout my time I barely had any internet connection problems with the exception of joining matches. The graphics are really good, and even at 720p the game looks absolutely gorgeous. The Wii U isn't a good controller for FPS games, and Nintendo knows that, because the gyro controls seem to help remedy the situation of the sticks being so spread apart. Despite this, I got hand cramps from using the gyroscope controls and had to switch it off, which actually made my aiming worse. I tried all of the weapons, and personally I preferred the Splattershot Jr. It was fast, quick, and dealed lots of close range damage. That's my kind of style, and it's glad to see that the weapons would all reflect a person's playstyle. Are you all about support, dishing damage, or muddying the whole floor with ink?

The game's 3 minute matches are both in some form a blessing and a curse. It allows for quick bursts and matches that intensify the whole time, but it feels way too damn short and before you know it, it's over. Surprising, you can easily make comebacks even when it's the last minute of the match. If an entire team was cornered, simply blasting their way through or using smart tactics can easily turn the tables around. It allows for intense, dynamic matches, but the whole time I felt like I was on the lucky side, in which I played 3 matches in a row where we pretty much dominated the other teams, leaving them practically cramping in their spawn point.

Overall mechanics are great, it's refreshing to play a shooter where while it's both equally important to keep the objective and defeat enemies. In games like Call of Duty, simply knocking the team out guaranteed wins in a lot of objective-based game modes. If there was a fragger on the team, he could be out wiping the other team out while the rest work on clearing the objective. Splatoon puts players in the position where the objective and eliminations are equally important, in a way that eliminating the other team actually can benefit you since defeating enemies splat an entire area of ink for you.

You know what, that's it, I'm hooked. This is the kind of shooter I would play for hours on end. It's just so damn fun, and something's telling me that I would be doing myself a disservice by missing out on this game.

Oh yeah, I'm probably gonna play the one on Saturday tomorrow (10 AM EST)

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually really like how the Gamepad screen is handled, it's practically essential for helping your team, as you can get an idea of any uninked areas or where the enemy is inking up the place, or even places where your team is getting slaughtered, so you can adjust your moment-to-moment priorities quickly.

And inking up the map is just fun in general, really, especially when you know the best areas that your team can control for the most points.

• Thumbs Up 4

I really love the stealthy/flankyness of using the squid. It's super easy to sneak up on people lightning quick for a kill, or bail into squid form and escape if you're under fire.

It's pretty smart how it's governed by how much land you cover too. It's really important to get turf in the game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In general there was a lot of fluidity between swapping the squid and human form. I could easily switch in any form by simply holding down the ZL trigger, and it does it so well. The transition happens so smoothly, and it feels really natural. You could ink a whole place, swim all the way across the ink, jump out in human form and immediately start spraying ink to continue building your path.

• Thumbs Up 2

The demo was pretty fun and all but man, the warehouse stage get one sided really fast! As soon a team covered from their base to the middle, it's an automatic win.

Also, it is just me or does the button layout seem pretty bad? I don't understand why the jump button isn't on the A Button.

How do you aim with the gyro function turned off, the r stick?

Yea, it's the Right Stick.

• Thumbs Up 1

also you dont need to rolling over people with the roller to get some K.O. but i want to play again so bad! am stiill thinking if i should buy it full price. gonna try to sleep a bit for the next 5hours.

I really don't find the Paint Roller to be an instant win. Honestly I found the Splatter Jr. as my main weapon. The bombs help when it come to opponents hiding around corners and because of the splatter's fire range I was able to easily take out rollers. I actually had a strategy when it came to rollers and that make distance quickly and fire. It work 85% of the time. Out of the ten matches I played I only lost two, one because I was getting use to the controls and the other because my teammates stupidity.

Also, it is just me or does the button layout seem pretty bad? I don't understand why the jump button isn't on the A Button.

It's on the X button because it's closer to the right stick. I'd rather remap it to L, actually, for easy access (I'm pretty sure L isn't used). Yeah, I know, that would completely defy the usual standard, but having jump on the triggers is really the only way to make it workable with dual-stick controls. Thankfully, the gyro compensates for this, so X is fine, just needs getting used to.

But, yeah, personally I'd prefer a Steam Controller setup, but the Gyro+right stick combination works better than just the right stick alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

The demo was pretty fun and all but man, the warehouse stage get one sided really fast! As soon a team covered from their base to the middle, it's an automatic win.

Yea, it's the Right Stick.

X is the closest button to the Right stick, so it actually makes sense.

I'm used to jumping with B/the lower face button, so that was super weird for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm used to jumping with B/the lower face button, so that was super weird for me.

It does take awhile but the controls were really easy to grasp.

Speaking of grasping controls, I'm surprised how fast I got into Splatoon. After the quick tutorial I immediately knew what to do and how to play.

• Thumbs Up 1

So... was I really the only UK member playing, just like I was the only UK person on Mario Kart 8's online?

Emphasising again how fun it is, and how easy it is to get shot at.

So... was I really the only UK member playing, just like I was the only UK person on Mario Kart 8's online?

Have you not seen my flag lmao

Actually, I'm surprised because a lot of my matches consisted of Japanese players. There probably wasn't a lot of Americans playing due to the time zone affecting EST. That didn't stop me from going though!

And I seriously need to go to bed like god

Have you not seen my flag lmao

Oh. Yeah.

Merges too good with the blue of the forum, and if you've been up nearly 24 hours...

I just got through playing it.

It's alright. Lots of neat ideas and mechanics set it apart from other shooting games, which is good, but I feel like some of Nintendo's old habits hold it back. 

A lot of people are praising the Gyro mechanics but I really didnt like those. I'd probably need more time to get used to it, but since there wasn't much play time I just switched over to the right stick as soon as I could. Also, X to jump is just weird. Other than that, controls work dine. 

As other people have said the whole Ink mechanic is pretty brilliant. It makes covering turf a priority over trying to take out other players right off the bat since moving along your own turf is so much easier and gives you an advantage over enemies. Once I realized that I should focus more on gaining ground over taking enemies out it became a lot more fun.

I didn't really like the use of the Gamepad. I wish there was at least the option to use the Pro Controller or the Wiimote+Nunchuck because I feel like they'd be better for this. The gamepad having the map screen is mostly just kind of irritating since you have to look down at it as opposed to other shooters where it's just in the corner of the screen or something. Sure there's the whole "jump to your teammate's position" feature, but I don't think that's downright impossible to do without the Gamepad. It wouldn't be as smooth, but it could still work.

I didn't have any problems at all getting online. Even with japanese players there was no lag and it only actually disconnected once out of the 10-15 matches I played. Good stuff. 

I'm not 100% on this game but I have more faith in it now than I did before. I think I'll grab it in august.

• Thumbs Up 1