Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

CFuqI3fWIAApBlo.jpg

I did it. I finally learned how to Splatcharger.

Teach me your wisdom sensei *bows*

I managed to get around 1000 with a roller if I remember, wasn't horrible with a charger, but terrain coverage is tricky. Really glad I'm getting this game now

If any of you  ran into a Mando, that was indeed me

I have to say that when it was first announced I was kind of skeptical.  It seemed like a little too radical of a concept, and we all know Nintendo has never been very good with online play.  Well, I'm happy to say that Splatoon is not just a well-built game, but really fun.  Part of this might be because it's probably the only competitive online games that I don't outright suck at it, but really, I enjoyed myself all the way through, despite some setbacks earlier.

The only complaints I really have is that I feel that some weapons just don't work for me.  Aiming straight at someone with the sniper paint thingy but even if I unleash my entire tank of ink on them, it does absolutely no damage.  People were telling me before that the paint roller was OP, so I was expecting a ton of people using that and the whole match just being Team Fortress Classic levels of anarchy and chaos.  But the team was overall pretty balanced every time.  Paint rollers are actually kind of hard to use, so their wide range really doesn't benefit it as much.  At least, not for me.

Another complaint I have is that the jump is awful.  I mean, I'm not saying they should have Sonic or Mario style jumps, but I often found myself taking the long way around because jumping on a small ramp was stiff, awkward, and just really difficult.  I hope they fix that, though I doubt they will since it's a basic mechanic.

Anyway, the game is a lot of fun.  Nice balance, addictive gameplay mechanics, easy to master controls.  I liked it.  Might consider purchasing the full game.

So demo's over now, and I got to play for just about 30 minutes. My thoughts?

It was actually very fun! That's par for the course, though, seeing as how most people think so as well. The game is fast-paced enough to keep me entertained, while not being so fast that you aren't able to actually have fun. The fact that the objective isn't to kill the opponents, but to paint as much of the map as possible is genius, and gives me something to do when I'm not surrounded by the enemy. It's probably the most fun I've had with a multiplayer-focused shooter in a very long while.

I pretty much exclusively used the Splattershot, and also tried the Jr, though I prefer the normal Splattershot. Also, as soon as the demo booted up for me, I immediately turned off the gyro controls. I didn't want to waste any time learning to use it and just opted to go the dual-stick route, which I'm more familiar with.

If I had any problem at all, it was that the sensitivity was a little too high, but that's just a nitpick. Overall, it was actually really, really fun. Huh... I might want to actually buy this now...

I wished I took a picture of my best result.

My best one was 1100p with 7 kills and 0 deaths using the splatter shot Jr.

I really don't like the jump button being on X, its super awkward. But I found myself not using it much so maybe I just haven't gotten used to it yet but so far it doesn't feel good.

I wasn't able to play because I misread the times. But I'm getting the game in a week anyway so *shrug*

Sniper is my favorite I think.

By the way, you can adjust the sensitivity on the camera by a lot in settings, its at -1 default, but can be anywhere from -5 to 5

One thing I wanna know is are we able to join friends in public matches?

Yeah, I'd like to know if it's possible to actually join friend lobbies or create lobbies for friends.  I like playing with people I know far more than playing with random strangers.

Yeah, I'd like to know if it's possible to actually join friend lobbies or create lobbies for friends.  I like playing with people I know far more than playing with random strangers.

I believe this is a feature that they're adding later in the summer. For whatever reason its not ready at launch, but it is coming.

You can join friends in public games, yes. It's only the ability to create custom/private games with friends that comes in August.

You're able to join into any games that your friends are currently playing. Your teams scramble after every round so you're not guaranteed to end up in the same team. That said you're not able to create explicit friend lobbies until the major August update. When this update hits you'll be able to match a team of four friends against a team of four other friends, as well as a matchmaking mode where you play 8 friends together with custom rules.

You can join friends who are already online, but you can't actually create friend lobbies.

For all that there is to praise about this game and Nintendo's trademark on quality, the stubborn front they put up against other popular gaming avenues is their biggest flaw. As if omitting voice chat wasn't bad enough, they chose not to include friend lobbies as a feature in Splatoon and are only adding it in through an update during the summer.

I have no vendetta against the lack of voice chat because it creates a gateway for micspam, and that's jut no fun.  I'd prefer to be on Skype with my friends if I -had- to use voice chat. XP

• Thumbs Up 1

A Splatoon Public service announcement: for anyone who didn't go into options, you can in fact turn off motion, invert vertical or horizantal movement, and adjust camera sensitivity from -5 to +5 (default is -1)

I have no vendetta against the lack of voice chat because it creates a gateway for micspam, and that's jut no fun.  I'd prefer to be on Skype with my friends if I -had- to use voice chat. XP

MK8 at least gives the option for voice chat in friend lobbies, which is disabled by default and toggled with the press of the button. Splatoon doesn't even do that, and it would be great fun to have voice chat in-game with friends too. Voice chat with randoms is liable to make your ears bleed, so I totally understand Nintendo opting against it. Omitting it outright though is only detrimental. But they aren't even including friends lobbies, an even more basic feature, out of the box in this game though, so...

MK8 at least gives the option for voice chat in friend lobbies, which is disabled by default and toggled with the press of the button. Splatoon doesn't even do that, and it would ne great fun to have voice chat in-game with friends. Voice chat with randoms is liable to make your ears bleed. Omitting it outright though is only detrimental.

I guess that's a fair enough compromise.  Doesn't really hurt or enhance the game for me, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, the lack of mic support is one of the many things that bugs me about this game (and other Nintendo games honestly). It's included in most shooters for a reason. More often than not you need to communicate with others in order to work as a team. It becomes extremely to near impossible to coordinate things without it. I understand the want to keep mic spamming a non issue and the forever apparent "Nintendo has to be safe for the kiddies" rule but that's why the mute button exists. Simply have it turned off by default when the game starts. That way people who want nothing to do with it can keep it as is and those who do can utilize it.

The lack of common features that you would find in any game is definitely a main factor as to why I'm waiting until after release to see the general reaction before I buy. It was annoying in MK8 and now it's just a hindrance.

To be honest, the lack of mic support is one of the many things that bugs me about this game (and other Nintendo games honestly). It's included in most shooters for a reason. More often than not you need to communicate with others in order to work as a team. It becomes extremely to near impossible to coordinate things without it. I understand the want to keep mic spamming a non issue and the forever apparent "Nintendo has to be safe for the kiddies" rule but that's why the mute button exists. Simply have it turned off by default when the game starts. That way people who want nothing to do with it can keep it as is and those who do can utilize it.

The lack of common features that you would find in any game is definitely a main factor as to why I'm waiting until after release to see the general reaction before I buy. It was annoying in MK8 and now it's just a hindrance.

I'd rather they keep it off by default so that I don't accidentally use it by mistake. =V - But if TF2 is anything to go by, the mute button is difficult and inconvenient, especially in a fast paced game.  Granted, there's less of a chance for people to misuse special characters and there's only going to be a finite number of people in each match so it won't be nearly as hard, but it's still aggravating.

• Thumbs Up 2

I finally played the Testfire after I missed the First one and I'm glad I caught it today!

I didn't think I'll have this much fun! My sisters had fun just watching me! I did suck at the game though, I won 3 out of my 7 matches. Doesn't matter though, I had a total blast!

Honestly, I'm willing to put that aside in favor of the game's fun gameplay concept/execution. I'm upset by a lack of voice chat, but if there's anything to go by I pretty much play heavy co-op demanding games (That require lots and lots of coordination) like Payday 2 using only a keyboard just fine. I'm fine with the limited communication in Splatoon because in most shooters I generally don't talk at all, and from the 3 testfires I've played, a lot of my matches just went fine with really limited chat options. I've heard a friend of mine compare Splatoon's multiplayer to that of a single-player game in that individual skill is truly the main key to victory. The idea of Splatoon's team based gameplay is centered on how skilled each player is. Coordination and team-play is important as well, but the game's straight forward objective and the heavy dependence on single skill make it less of a necessity.

I can see where you guys are coming from but from my experience, nothing beats a good match where you actually communicated with people. This could just be me with my experience on things like Halo, CoD, or anything under the xbox live sun but I just find the lack of voice chat more hurtful than helpful. I honestly don't see the problem of it being there with a mute button. I'm thinking more along the lines of what Halo does. You're able to toggle free chat and full mute there. Though don't get me wrong, voice isn't the only thing keeping me from this. Add on the lack of a party options, custom controller layouts, custom games (at least at launch if I understand correctly), any basic type of interaction between players, and other multiplayer features that have become basic parts of other multiplayer games for the last 10 years and I just can't help but feel limited. And that only makes up one issue I have so far. Only three known modes, 5 maps, what looks to be a slapped on single player, price, ect.

I just don't know here... I enjoyed myself with the test fire but I'm just not seeing enough here yet to warrant a purchase. I hope that changes soon because I really want to support a new Nintendo IP (love the company to death) but it seems their last generation mindset is affecting them here too. Or maybe things like Halo have just spoiled me... again, I don't know.

I can see where you guys are coming from but from my experience, nothing beats a good match where you actually communicated with people. This could just be me with my experience on things like Halo, CoD, or anything under the xbox live sun but I just find the lack of voice chat more hurtful than helpful. I honestly don't see the problem of it being there with a mute button. I'm thinking more along the lines of what Halo does. You're able to toggle free chat and full mute there. Though don't get me wrong, voice isn't the only thing keeping me from this. Add on the lack of a party options, custom controller layouts, custom games (at least at launch if I understand correctly), any basic type of interaction between players, and other multiplayer features that have become basic parts of other multiplayer games for the last 10 years and I just can't help but feel limited. And that only makes up one issue I have so far. Only three known modes, 5 maps, what looks to be a slapped on single player, price, ect.

I just don't know here... I enjoyed myself with the test fire but I'm just not seeing enough here yet to warrant a purchase. I hope that changes soon because I really want to support a new Nintendo IP (love the company to death) but it seems their last generation mindset is affecting them here too. Or maybe things like Halo have just spoiled me... again, I don't know.

I dunno, I guess I come from my experience because I sound like a 11 year old squeaker behind a mic so I normally don't talk. IN addition though, the things I've heard on Xbox Live just make me wish the games didn't had voice chat at all honestly

I dunno, I guess I come from my experience because I sound like a 11 year old squeaker behind a mic so I normally don't talk.

• Thumbs Up 1