Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

They kind of sort of punish disconnect by counting the disconnect as a loss. This is really bad in ranked battles since you lose points on your rank.

Well, about a week ago Klonoa managed to convince me on this game XD. Just thought I'd share my overall thoughts on it here as a sort of mini review.

I can't say I followed the Splatoon hype like many hear but I can see where it was coming from. This game is simple fun in it's purest form. People weren't lying when they said it's Nintendo's take on shooters as their colorful mechanics (I mean this quite literally) take full presence. The charm this game has is down right impressive. Customizing your character, the impressive world (I swear using mii post as graffiti in the hub world is simply genius), straight down to dem damn puns XD. This game is just oozing with creativity.

I was very surprised with what the single player had to offer. My hopes weren't that high going in but I think I still would of been surprised regardless. It was a decent length and never seemed to reuse things. Also, wasn't too easy or too hard either (though, I did feel that final boss was a pretty steep difficulty curve tbh). Also, absolutely loved those hidden scripts. Went out of my way to find each and every one during my first playthrough. Absolutely love when games do that. Adds extra (and rather dark... there's even some stuff that hints at a sequel XD) story content for those who care while not being a problem for those who don't. I've said before that not every game needs to be Uncharted, Final Fantasy, or even Uprising in their story elements. Though, they should still at least try to have something like this. Takes me back to the first Mario Galaxy honestly.

Though, if there's one thing I would harp on in the single player it's the way the characters deliver dialog. Seriously, Nintendo's fear of voice actors is hurting them at this point. I probably didn't catch half of what was being said during levels because I just couldn't focus on the text bubble and the game at the same time.

The multiplayer is just pure fun. I honestly didn't expect how heated some battles could get. The amount of customization and relying on your team members to play their part is astounding. Really makes the win feel so much better. Also, gotta say I love turf wars. It's so much fun just seeing the map change in color constantly as each team advances. Though, I do still believe this game could of benefited from voice chat. I can't tell you how many times I wished I could of directed my teammate to look behind them as a roller approached. Or help coordinate in areas that needed more attention. This problem is especially apparent in ranked matches as you really need to work as a team. Hell, the prompt for the game type even states that regrouping with your team is the best strategy. That's really a hard thing to do when you can't talk to anyone. It doesn't even have to be voice chat though. Maybe they could have implemented something along the lines of what Portal 2 does in co-op and give players the ability to point out certain things. I don't know, it doesn't hurt the game too much but I still honestly believe it should have been an option.

Overall though, this game is an absolute blast. So glad I gave it a shot. While I do believe this could have benefited from more common day industry techniques, I do believe the overall Nintendo charm won out at the end. Looking forward to those custom lobbies so we can have some game nights or something soon!

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the inkbrush, but it's very difficult to use effectively.  It feels like more of a tactical instrument than a proper "weapon", for quickly filling up non-heavily contested areas and distracting the other team.  It kind of sucks that you can get stuck in enemy ink while turning with it.

I hope some of the buildings in the plaza open up as Splatoon gets more content over the years.  I wanna go in the coffee shop to have a cup o mud with my fellow squids. 8C

I also wish it consistently loaded in at least a few of your friends every time in the plaza, though I do like that it will always add the people you most recently played with hanging around outside of the tower lobby.

I also either had good teams or am getting the hang of Ranked Battles.  Managed to get my C- up to a C with 5 wins in a row just now (some of them 100 pointers).  I love the N-ZAP, the echolocator makes a world of difference for defending and obliterating ambushes.

Mario leak was fake.

Not surprising, but I wanna see how this guy made the render. it looks damn good.

Managed to play a bit of Port Mackerel before I got a slew of disconnects; in spite of the lag, awesome stage.

I'm really fucking bothered by the amount of lag and disconnects I'm getting; I want to play the shit out of this game, but I can't, and it's pissing me off. 

Mario leak was fake.

Not surprising, but I wanna see how this guy made the render. it looks damn good.

You can adjust the camera sensitivity or disable the gyroscope controls in the options and just use the right analogue stick instead.

You can adjust the sensitivity to some degree on the options screen.  It's in the corner of the gamepad while in Inkopolis.  If you can't get along with motion control at all, you can disable it too (though honestly I think those who can adapt to it will always be at an advantage, it's much closer to mouse and keyboard control accuracy than dual analogue sticks are).

It's a third-person shooter game though.  If it had a lock-on it'd defeat the entire purpose of 80% of the gameplay, and even if lock-on was only in Single Player, part of what makes the Single Player in this game so good is that it uses the exact same control scheme and gameplay systems as the multiplayer (which is the main focus), so all your skills gained are relevant to both modes.

Thank you for the help, I'm having a much easier time now :D

I'm not that accustomed to shooter games so I didn't realise that having a lock-on feature would affect so much :)

Edit:

I've had two disconnects so far, I'd be pretty pissed if I was punished for them.

Plus you can't manually ragequit without turning off the entire console so that's a pretty big inconvenience to do so.

So I'm not the only one who's been having this issue then. I've had 3 disconnects so far. 

I finally found the perfect equipment for my inkling! I reached level 20 so I was able to customize my inkling anyway I want since I could add on more slots. So my inkling is sporting goggles on her head, a green hoodie, and cyan shoes.

I really made the Splatter Shot Jr really useful now with the bubbler ability since the slots on the goggles ended up being special time extenders and the main ability of my green hoodie is a special time extender. So that makes four special time extenders, meaning the bubbler now lasts for quite a bit than normally. I also got three defense on my inklings thanks to getting two on my cyan shoes and one on my green hoodie.

Kelp Dome is releasing today for the US and tomorrow everywhere else! New maps, yay!

• Thumbs Up 1

Kelp Dome is releasing today for the US and tomorrow everywhere else! New maps, yay!

tumblr_npqkl2G66o1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

A new stage, Kelp Dome, will be added to Splatoon today at 7 PM PT! Viewed from above, this stage takes the shape of a nearly perfect square. You can either make your way to the center by circling around the perimeter of the dome, or you can take the high road on the grated catwalks to get straight into the action. The boundaries of the dome and the inner, maze-like structure of the facility are covered in ink-resistant glass.

I remember that level from Single Player.

Just played Kelp Dome, it might just be my favorite level.

For one thing, the stage is huge, it's so big that it takes Judd awhile to make a verdict.

There's a lot to explore but it doesn't over do it and makes it a maze you can get lost in.

So, looking forward to playing this in future matches.

Played Kelp Dome once and my team won by .1%. But then all the other times I kept losing connection. I'm trying to see if it'll work for me now.

Oh and here's a picture of what my inkling looks like.

image.jpg

Looks like another Honest Games Trailer has come out. Splatoon is next on the list..

tumblr_nptzvzognI1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Listen up! At 7 PM PT, a new weapon enters the fray—the Splash-o-matic! Its shots don’t spread much, and it has excellent rapid-fire capability. It could be said to be a bit lacking in attack power, but zero in on a target and they’ll burst in no time flat. Plus, this bad boy comes equipped with Suction Bombs as a sub weapon, and Bomb Rush as a special weapon.

So, Nintendo UK on Twitter announced two new weapons coming to the game tomorrow. They are the L-3-Nozzlenose and the Custom E-Liter 3K. What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope they're good, because the last set of weapons have done nothing for me and I've basically stuck with the Aerospray RG ever since getting it, the Splash-o-matic is kind of good? But it runs out of ink fast and doesn't cover as wide a area as the Aerospray does. It's better for killing accurately though.

As for ranked the Gal.Deco is a force to be reckoned with.

I'd rather have new maps rather than new weapons. I haven't played in days due to the maps in-game getting stale.