Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

North America Splatfest No.3!

Marshmallow vs. Hot Dogs!
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLet's get ready to rumble representing infamously delicious snacks skewered on a stick and cooked over an open firrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!!!!!

... Go Team Hotdogs!

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_nsczma6Lkl1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Greetings from the great outdoors! As soon as Camp Triggerfish was discovered, we just knew that we needed to take a Squid Research Lab company camping trip. We’ve all been in agreement about how great camping is, but have run into one little problem: we can’t seem to decide what to roast over the campfire.

Intern Milton is all like, “HOT DOGS!” and Intern Stephenie all like, “MARSHMALLOWS.” We only have so many pointy sticks to use to roast things so we’re going to need to come to an agreement on this. We’ve decided to let the next Splatfest decide for us! Head to the Pledge Board and vote Marshmallow or Hot Dog and then fight for your team from 8/7 at 9 PM PT to 8/8 at 9 PM PT.

A Splatfest two days after the big update? AWESOME!

Going with Team Chili Dogs.

tumblr_nsczeee3WA1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Ranks for Ranked Battle are also getting an upgrade! While A+ is the current highest rank, you’ll now be able to reach the rank of S and S+. You’ll still need victory points to raise your rank, but keeping S or S+ once you’re there is no easy feat! Keep in mind that wins and losses in Squad Battle won’t affect your rank when you’ve reached S or S+ - it’s every squid for himself!

Edited by Sonictrainer

Looks like leveling is going to be much easier.. 48 points to 21.. That's 10 wins (or 24 loses)

Gonna hit 50 in no time.. Was hoping for a bit more of a challenge

I guess that amount will increase exponentially as the level goes up. Kinda like 750 or over 1000 pts per level for the last 5 levels, for example. Going all the way from the lowest to highest rank in Splatfests would always take a good chunk of my afternoon away (like 4 hours or so), so if level 21 takes about 50 points I can imagine the remaining levels taking up a lot of time. :P

At least the good thing is that everyone will level up at the same pace. No need to pick up a rapid fire weapon in Turf War to gather the most points for XP (unless you're levelling up equipment, lol) or winning consecutive battles at high ranks in Ranked mode for the biggest XP rewards, just keep playing and winning matches and the player gets there eventually.. I think it encourages players who favour support or team-oriented playstyles to keep playing that way, as the reward is the same. Some weapons (like chargers) aren't very suitable to cover turf yet can be a good asset in a general team composition. (Well, chargers can score well, but continuously revealing your position to the enemy to paint the ground makes it harder to take them out.)

Edited by MickX

Boy, Splatoon pulled amazing numbers in Japan back in June, especially considering the state of gaming there

http://gonintendo.com/stories/239727-japan-best-selling-games-of-june-2015?page=1#comment-19579

Japan - Best-selling games of June 2015

02 August, 2015 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 1

1. [WIU] Splatoon – 368,538 (348,557 physical, 19,981 digital)
2. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best Plus – 232,459 (225,296 physical, 7,163 digital)
3. [3DS] Tobidasu! Nyanko Daisensou – 97,189 (N/A physical, 97,189 digital)
4. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden – 88,707 (86,338 physical, 2,369 digital)
5. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX – 54,544 (51,574 physical, 2,970 digital)
6. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – 52,890 (45,912 physical, 6,978 digital)
7. [3DS] Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale – 47,146 (44,902 physical, 2,274 digital)
8. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition – 45,077 (38,146 physical, 6,931 digital)
9. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 – 44,470 (42,762 physical, 1,708 digital)
10. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition – 37,804 (30,757 physical, 7,047 digital)
11. [PSV] Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus – 30,887 (22,088 physical, 8,799 digital)
12. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition – 27,164 (25,272 physical, 1,892 digital)
13. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC Evolution – 27,034 (24,984 physical, 2,050 digital)
14. [3DS] Stella Glow – 23,857 (22,294 physical, 1,563 digital)
15. [3DS] Girls Mode 3 – 19,125 (17,611 physical, 1,514 digital)
16. [PS4] Natsuiro High School: Seishun Hakusho – 17,840 (14,294 physical, 3,546 digital)
17. [3DS] Assassination Classroom: Grand Siege on Kurosensei – 16,912 (15,556 physical, 1,356 digital)
18. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire – 15,406 (14,690 physical, 716 digital)
19. [3DS] Downtown Nekketsu Jidaigeki – 15,064 (13,403 physical, 1,661 digital)
20. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS – 13,955 (12,127 physical, 1,828 digital)
21. [PSV] Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo tr. – 13,691 (12,904 physical, 787 digital)
22. [PS3] Natsuiro High School: Seishun Hakusho – 13,475 (10,515 physical, 2,960 digital)
23. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 2: Shinuchi – 11,645 (11,205, 440 digital)
24. [PSV] Possession Magenta – 11,571 (11,007 physical, 564 digital)
25. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 10,919 (9,715 physical, 1,204 digital)
26. [3DS] Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland – 10,773 (9,908 physical, 865 digital)
27. [PSV] Nobunaga no Yabou: Souzou with Power-Up Kit – 10,458 (9,360 physical, 1,098 digital)
28. [PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition – 9,362 (N/A physical, 9,362 digital)
29. [PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster – 8,991 (7,642 physical, 1,349 digital)
30. [3DS] BoxBoy! – 8,879 (715 physical, 8,164 digital)

Why are the Inklings riding their weapons like skateboards? xD

Who care's? It's awesome. Thanks a bunch for posting those!
Edited by N8te

Who wants some patch notes for the August 5th update?!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index.html

Translation:

Squad Battle

- go read the tumblr for the deets http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

Private Battle
- go read the tumblr for the deets http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

Level Changes
- Level cap has been increased to LV50.
-- At LV20, when you enter the lobby and listen to the explanation, your level cap will be increased.

Ranked Battle Changes
- S and S+ ranks have been added.
-- you can only progress in S and S+ rank in Ranked Matches (not Squad Battles).
-- you will not gain or lose rank points contributing towards S and S+ in Squad Battles.
- Adjusted win/loss point calculations in Ranked Matches.
・ガチマッチモードのプレイ中にウデマエが変化した場合、一度ロビーに戻るようになりました。

New Gear
- New gear has been added, and will randomly appear for purchase in shops.

New BGM
- New BGM has been added, and will be added to the random battle BGM rotation.

Splatfest changes
- At the conclusion of Splatfest, the win percentage contribution multiplier has been changed from 2x to 4x.

Stage updates
- Urchin Underpass: Significantly modified the layout in all modes.
- Saltspray Rig: Modified the layout in Tower Control.
- Arowana Mall: Modified the layout in Splat Zones.
- Kelp Dome: Modified the layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.
- Moray Towers: Modified the layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.

Special Weapon updates
- Inkzooka: Increased the points required to fill the gauge from 180p to 220p.
- Echolocator: Increased the points required to fill the gauge from 180p to 200p.
- Killer Wail: Decreased the points required to fill the gauge from 180p to 160p.
※いずれも「スペシャル増加量アップ」のギアパワーをつけていない場合の数値です。

Subweapon updates
- Splash Wall: Corrected the amount of damage bombs would deal to the Splash Wall in rare cases.

Gear updates
- Tenacity: if a match starts with one team already having a fewer number of players, the special gauge now fills up when the match actually begins instead of beforehand.
- Special Charge Up: normalized the amount of special you get based on the amount of turf painted if you have a lot of Special Charge Up equipped, so painting large areas now gives you much more meter than before.

Battle SFX updates
- Made it easier to tell what direction an Inkstrike is coming from.
- 一部の射程が長い武器のヒット時の効果音を遠くにいても聞こえやすくしました。

Etc.
- Other quality of life updates.

Splash Wall nerf (fix)
Wail buff
Echolocator nerf
Inkzooka nerf
Spacial charge up buff which equates to DYNAMO BUFF BABY

Edited by I'm Dan
  • Thumbs Up 2

tumblr_nsipwdxECX1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

More breaking update news! The Splatling is a new main weapon type. After charging up Splatling weapons, they can spray a rapid-fire barrage of ink at blinding speed. While this charge time can be tricky to account for, few can compete with their attack power and shot range.

• Thumbs Up 1

GameXplain has put up a video earlier with a preview of the Splatoon update that's coming out in like 26 hours now:

Also a tour on the redesigned Urchin Underpass:

Really like how spacious the new Underpass is. Makes me think how cramped that central area was for 8 Inklings in the old version. :v

Edited by MickX
  • Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_nsktg7rFxG1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Attention aspiring squid researchers! We’ve just  been informed that there’s a Splatoon-themed drawing contest taking place in the Art Academy Miiverse community! You can get the full details on Miiverse.

tumblr_nskurcm1WW1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Whodda thunk we’d have so much to post the day before the August update hit?! All of you? Oh. Fine then. Regardless, we’re happy to report that there will be about 40 new pieces of gear added in the August update.

From what we’re hearing, some of these items will be found in the shops at the Booyah Base, while others can only be acquired by meeting certain conditions. You can dress yourself from head to toe in new gear, or mix some of the new items in with old favorites. We can’t wait to see everyone’s fresh new get-ups. Just look at the swag the Inkling in the middle is bringing to the table. If you traveled back in time to before I made this post and told me that one day a fashion visionary would successfully combine a bucket hat, a vest, and a look that screams “blue steel,” I wouldn’t have believed you.  

Your first look at Ika Musume in Splatoon!

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/05/a-first-look-at-ika-musumes-squid-girl-costume-in-splatoon-de-geso/

squid_girl_splatoon_costume

It's announced only in Japan at the moment but apparently it rolled out alongside the major update.

Who's ready for an ink-vasion?

NOA has just confirmed that the costume will be available in the U.S. and so obviously Europe:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/628994603597717504?p=v 

Edited by Nexthehedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 6

GATHER ROUND, KIDS AND/OR SQUIDS! Let’s have a quick huddle to talk logistics for the update. The Splatoon servers will be offline from 5:50 PM PT - 7:00 PM PT for a bit of maintenance and to, ya know, add the update! You won’t be able to play online during this period. Once the servers are back up, you’ll be able to play the update! Let’s go over what’s coming tonight, shall we? 

The Squid Research Lab has posted the exact time the update is going up! 7PM PT (NoA)! I assume this would be the same for all regions, but I don't really know how this whole update process is happening...

Whole post here: http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/125937962749/gather-round-kids-andor-squids-lets-have-a

Edited by N8te

tumblr_nsm996d1US1u3akyno1_540.jpg

HAPPY UPDATE DAY, SQUIDS! Tonight at 7 PM PT, the Heavy Splatling enters the game! This baby packs six barrels full of ink. Charge it up and let your enemies have it! Need some cover? Not a problem. Throw down your Splash Wall! This bad boy also comes with the Inkzooka as a special weapon. It might just be the best weapon for squids that have watched too many 80′s action movies! 

tumblr_nsm9l0a0m61u3akyno1_540.jpg

Also entering the game at 7 PM PT tonight is the Slosher. This might look like an ordinary bucket, but it’s actually a weapons-grade bucket! Hurl ink straight ahead over an impressive range, and adjust your angles to hit opponents above you or behind walls. The Slosher comes with Burst Bombs and the special is a hot pastrami on rye! Er, wait. Sorry. I mean Inkstrike. Got a little excited about today’s lunch delivery.

Less than 6 hours to go.

Only got a random error once during a match, the rest was smooth sailing to me. Can't say the same for the several players, both on my team and enemy teams, who were teleporting around while spreading no ink though.

It feels marginally better than previous Splatfests though. I guess most of the connectivity issues come from matches with players between Europe and Australia, or european players with old internet infrastructure or poor wireless connection, dunno.

While Team Hot Dog won the most battles, Team Marshmallows won the 3rd US Splatfest by having much more popularity and winning 48% of the matches.

Good game everybody.

EU Splatfest results are in

Popularity:

North Pole 52% - 48% South Pole

Wins:

North Pole 48% - 52% South Pole

North Pole 244 - 256 South Pole

I lost again. Interesting the percentages had equaled themselves out.

Edited by Fancy

I love how the splatfest are less of "Choose A or B" team and more of a "You're taking either Callie or Marie's" side. I just hate how you can't join a persons game while a splatfest is going on.....it makes sense to an extent but at the same time every weekend when they have one and I try to play with my wife since I'm over in Korea, it gets kinda annoying.

• Thumbs Up 2

Out of curiosity, hows the private lobbies in Splatoon? It's the game being played at this weeks SSMB Game Night and I was wondering how good they were since I haven't done any private matches yet.

They work about as well as you would expect. The only real issue is that there's no real invite system with the Wii U and therefore you can only join someone who is on your friend's list. It's definitely manageable but it can be a little awkward. I haven't done many Private Battles myself. I've tried to get one started but it seems like no one has interest.