Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

Me and my brother got ripped apart on Team SpongeBob.  I get the sneaky suspicion that all the good players join the less popular teams during these things.

Genuinely surprised that it's taken this long for Callie and Marie to get their own amiibo, especially as rumours about the Squid Sisters amiibo were leaked a good few months ago and the initial hype about Splatoon has sort of passed a bit now.

They look pretty cool, it's a shame they don't seem to do anything aside from a jukebox mode though - I'd have loved some more single player missions. I wonder if the alternate colours for the Inkling and Squid amiibo will have any different stages or whether they really are just a colour swap with the same content locked inside the figure.

• Thumbs Up 2

Better late than never. About time those two got amiibo.

I hope Splatoon would do something with them that would take advantage of the data writing abilities. Like, Splatoon only seems to read amiibo data but never write anything and I would personally like that level of customization games like Smash, Shovel Knight, Mario Party 10, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and even Woolly World provide with their amiibo functionality. Knowing how the Callie and Marie amiibo do performances of songs, perhaps assign certain dance moves to them to create custom performances? I think that would be a nice touch.

I'm probably gonna get the variants of Inkling Girl, Boy and Squid too.

• Thumbs Up 1

First there was Splatoon x Miitomo, now there Miitomo x Splatoon!

tumblr_o6qbjj5JmR1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Would you rather go to a fancy party or  a costume party?

Well, the whole world gets to decide on this! This is the first universal Splatfest!

And despite the avatar, I'm actually team Costume Party, the other Inkling was just way too stylin' though!

• Thumbs Up 1

First, there was Splatoon in Miitomo! Well now, there’s Miitomo in Splatoon!

Our next Splatfest theme is brought to you by Miitomo! Would you rather go to fancy party or a costume party? Head to Inkopolis Plaza and cast your vote for the next Splatfest!

…and since it’s a party, this Splatfest will be held simultaneously in all regions! For the first time ever, players in all regions will be matched up to play in Splatfast – and the results will be global.

The party starts 5/13 at 8 PM PT and ends at 3 AM PT on 5/15. When it’s time to party we will party hard!

I'm glad they're extending Splatfests to be longer, giving people more opportunity to participate and get Super Sea Snails.

tumblr_o70vszC2671u3akyno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o70vszC2671u3akyno1_1280.jpg

We’ve received some breaking photos of Callie and Marie! (We’re like 80% sure that’s Marie…)

Don’t forget to choose your team for Splatfest!

...What is Marie wearing?

The Results of the Fancy VS Costume Splatfest are in:

• Popularity: 52% > 48%
  • Wins: 51% > 49%
  • Final Results: 358 > 342
  • TEAM FANCY WINS

Callie: Team Fancy schmoozes! Team Costume LOSES!

Marie: I guess our costumes weren't creative enough...

Callie: Well done, superstars! Elegance is forever!

I wish they'd stop holding these things on Saturdays that I have to work.  I'm not sure if Nintendo's watching my schedule, or the plant is watching the Splatoon calendar.

• 2 weeks later...

Splatoon is now 1 year old. :D

CjosVfVUUAAfysb.jpg

Happy First Anniversary, Splatoon! Sheldon’s celebrating by bringing more new weapon combos on 6/7!

CjosVqiUkAEKv4k.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_o85lle7amg1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Squid Research Lab PSA: In case you missed it, we’re happy to announce that the upcoming 2.8.0 update, arriving the evening of June 7, will include 9 new weapon combos known as Sheldon’s Picks Vol.2. This update will also include some weapon balance adjustments, along with bug fixes.

Please note that due to the update, server maintenance is scheduled to occur from 5:50 PM – 7 PM PT on Tue, June 7th.

tumblr_o87gm07vjO1u3akyno1_540.jpg

Leading up to June 7, we’ll be counting down by previewing Sheldon’s new weapon combos one by one.

Introducing the Grim Range Blaster: a Range Blaster remodeled by Sheldon! Inklings have described it as “totally metal.” Between the Burst Bombs sub and the explosive main, it’s truly an aggressive set capable of dispatching opponents with frightening speed.

tumblr_o87gqrvkue1u3akyno1_540.jpg

The Bento Splatterscope is a Bento Splat Charger with a scope added for long-range sniping. As Sheldon explains it: “This set suits (passive) aggressive squids who like to pick off opponents from a distance. Blammo!”

All this bento talk is also making us super hungry for a bento box ourselves. We found some online that look super fresh! 

tumblr_o87gsumZIb1u3akyno2_540.jpg

The Bento Splat Charger features some weird green stuff Sheldon found washed up on a beach. We agree with Sheldon and think it’s pretty cool. It’s basically the same as the regular Splat Charger, but Sheldon amped up the defense with a Splash Wall. The Echolocator makes this set perfect for caring souls who love to support their teammates. 

tumblr_o87h1w9aBB1u3akyno1_540.jpg

The N-ZAP ‘83 is an N-ZAP '85 that Sheldon modified to faithfully recreate a classic limited-edition piece. It’s so faithful, in fact, that players think the buttons might stick a bit sometimes… But that’s not a bug – it’s a feature, right? The Point Sensor and Kraken make for a set that is handy for cutting off your opponents’ advance. 

tumblr_o8b8xlCu3V1u3akyno1_540.jpg

Check out the super sweet Cherry H-3 Nozzlenose. The Splash Wall sub weapon lets you leverage the great range of the main, while the Bubbler is perfect for turning the tables in a pinch.

As Sheldon puts it: “It’s super cute with its fruity color scheme and cherry-themed sticker!”

tumblr_o8b8zlOKXv1u3akyno1_540.jpg

The Sploosh-o-matic 7 retains the stats of the original model while adding more strategic options. The short-range main has been bolstered by mid- and long-range sub and special weapons, allowing you to fight effectively at any distance.

tumblr_o8b8veKsOU1u3akyno1_540.jpg

The CoroCoro Splat Roller is decorated with a rad logo Sheldon found inscribed on some ancient writings. The way Sheldon describes it:

It has a new hollow-titanium frame, ball-bearing joints, steering dampers, super stabilizers… So many new parts, in fact, that it kind of… came full circle. The specs ended up identical to the Splat Roller.

But the addition of Splash Walls combined with the powerful Inkzooka make this set full of exciting new possibilities. 

tumblr_o8d350rcbf1u3akyno1_540.jpg

Meet the Heavy Splatling Remix. It’s not a remix to your favorite headbanger - It’s, uh, a remixed version of the Heavy Splatling. Warm up the crowd with the Sprinkler sub and then drown ‘em out with the devastating Killer Wail for an encore.

tumblr_o8d36ncbvK1u3akyno1_540.jpg

The Aerospray PG is best described as a little update to the Aerospray MG that Sheldon built from his grandpappy’s blueprints. No matter how you describe it, it’s definitely a hand-crafted work of art. Burst Bombs help claim turf and the Kraken crushes enemy defenses. 

Edited by Sonictrainer
More Weapons Revealed

• 3 weeks later...

The Results of the recent Splatfest, Early Birds VS Night Owls have been revealed:

• Popularity: 29% < 71%
  • Wins: 49% < 51%
  • Final Results: 323 < 377
  • TEAM NIGHT OWL WINS

Marie: HOOT HOOT! Team Night Owl wins! How do those words taste Callie? Yummy?

Callie: You know, Marie? I'm really sick of your attitude. You talk all this smack... But I've won WAY more Splatfests than you...

Marie: Whatever... I won all the important ones.

Callie: You wanna talk smack? Put up or shut up!

Marie: FINE! Next Splatfest we play for keeps!

Callie: FINE! This just got personal.

Marie: FINE! Your prizes are waiting in the plaza!

Hm....

The FINAL Splatfest has been announced. It takes place worldwide on July 22nd and the theme is...

The great battle of the squid sisters awaits!

tumblr_o9k8orXvmN1u3akyno1_540.png

We’ve had 15 inkredible Splatfests so far! While the good times in Inkopolis will continue to roll on, the next Splatfest will be… drumroll, please… the final Splatfest.

Time and time again, we’ve heard you pledge allegiance not to your favorite team choice, but to your favorite Squid Sister. Now, it’s time to show your support in the Squid Sisters Showdown! The theme is: Are you Team Callie or Team Marie?

The showdown begins at 2 AM PT on Friday, July 22, until 2 AM PT on Sunday, July 24. This will be the last Splatfest extravaganza, and we’d like everyone to have a blast!

The last Splatfest will be taking place (almost) at the same time in all regions. However the matchups will be different – the players in Japan will be matched up with those in Japan, and the players in North America and Europe will be matched up with each other. The Top 100 Players will also be tallied and announced separately for Japan region and for North America and Europe regions. Though the results will be collected from all regions, they will be combined together and announced at  the same time. 

In-game announcement and voting will start at 7 PM PT on Monday, July 4. Until then, please prepare yourself for the hardest decision you’ll make in your lifetime by doing some soul searching, going on a walkabout, meditating or just reading Squid Sisters fan fiction.

tumblr_o9k8sbxNWW1u3akyno1_1280.png

Oh yeah, we forgot to mention one thing! The last Splatfest stages will be decided based on your votes! Please vote using the email being sent to Splatoon players with Nintendo Network IDs…coming to inboxes soon! The vote ends on Tuesday, July 12th. 

tumblr_o9lczxizYe1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Leading up to the last Splatfest, the Art Academy Miiverse community is hosting the “Best of the ‘fests Drawing Event!” Take a stroll down memory lane and celebrate all of YOUR favorite moments from Splatfests past! Create a drawing showing your favorite Splatfest memory and join in the fun on Miiverse! Some artwork will be displayed here at the Squid Research Lab, and might even be included in a video we’re working on.

Check out MariChan’s post in the Art Academy Miivese community for more information. The event will last until Wednesday, July 13th.

I don't even know whose side to pick...

Marie Squad for life. 

It's kind of sad IMO, that the splatfests are coming to an end. They were a really great idea and definitely got me to crack the Wii U out and play Splatoon. I hope a sequel isn't too far away on NX, as it was defs one of my favourite Wii U games.

Been a while since I've played Splatoon, but will definitely be taking part in this Splatfest. Need to give my girl Marie support for this Splatfest! 

Y'all squid kids access the pond are getting a month long fan event called the Summer of Splat.

Since its launch in May 2015, Splatoon has brought a world of colour to over 4 million players worldwide, thanks to its unique combination of creative action-shooter gameplay and family-friendly fun.

From splatting opponents and laying claim to turf, players old and new have geared up and honed their inking skills to perfection. Now Nintendo is asking the UK community to dive into a world of colour and take part in The Summer of Splat – a squid-tastic celebration of Splatoon.

The Summer of Splat will bring kids and squids together over the course of four weekends (from the 16th July to the 7th August) to take part in The Great British Splat-Off, a series of online tournaments* where they can show off their style, seek to cover the most territory and ultimately prove what they are made of.

Open to Inklings of all levels to come together in teams of four, players can sign up to join one of three different leagues online:

• Squid Kid League: For younger players – Turf War game mode only

• Inkling League: Beginner/casual players – Turf War game mode only

• Octo League: Open to all ages and levels – More challenging featuring all game modes

Participating players in The Great British Splat–Off will pick up tips and tactics, learn slick new skills, and battle against other teams in a fight to be the freshest. Battles will take place over the four weekends with teams (matched by Gfinity) fighting to win the best of three.

Each weekend, six winning teams (two from each league) will be given the chance to take their skills to the next level and be rewarded with tickets where they can compete in a special event - The Splatoon Fan Fest, a live day of challenges, held at London’s Gfinity Arena on 27th August.

In addition to fans partaking of gameplay tournaments, kicking off from 11th July Nintendo is also offering fans the chance to get colourful with two competitions, inviting fans to share their style by submitting an image of their Splatoon inspired cosplay or by submitting Splatoon-themed art. Each week (for four weeks) Nintendo will select five of the best entries from each competition and showcase them via theSplatoon Facebook page. All entries selected throughout the four weeks will be invited to attend The Splatoon Fan Fest on 27th August for the grand finale. For more details on how to enter these competitions check the Splatoon Facebook page from 11th July 2016.

As well as providing an opportunity for the victorious to come together and demonstrate their squid skills, The Splatoon Fan Fest will feature a host of Splat-tastic entertainment and Splatoon matches, as well as the final judging of the cosplay and art competitions.

Fans will also be given the unique chance to pick up exclusive Splatoon giveaways and prizes, including rare merchandise, exclusive artwork created by Splatoon’s revered Art Director and a one off personalised Splat Champ winner’s jacket.

The Splatoon Fan Fest will be live streamed on Nintendo UK’s Twitch Channel so everyone can keep track of the action as it happens.

Anyone yet to jump into the unique world of Splatoon can take advantage of an upcoming 25% discount on the software price in Nintendo eShop, down from £34.99 to £25.99** between 15:00 CEST on 7th July and 23:50 CEST on 21st July. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Team Marie crushed Team Callie by Popularity and Wins, winning with 360 > 340.

Marie: HOLY CARP! I...WON? I WON! Thanks for believing in me, Team Marie!

Callie: I'd also like to thank Judd, Gramps, and most of all...

Marie: Thank you, Callie for being my best friend.

Callie: Congrats, Marie. You earned it. SQUID SISTERS FOREVER!

Marie: Well, I guess that's it. I'm really gonna miss this.

Callie: Me too, Marie. Me too.

tumblr_oatxocDbbe1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Results of the 16th and Final Splatfest has concluded and drumroll… victory for team Marie. The result of the Splatfest Top 100 Players will be shared soon!

The final Splatfest may be officially over, but Callie and Marie have beaming smiles on their faces. Remember, exciting battles in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle, Squad Battle and Private Battle modes still continue!

As for us at the Squid Research Lab, we’ll continue our investigation and research, updating you with our findings about all the latest news around Inkopolis. Stay tuned and stay fresh!

tumblr_oatxxhy0wW1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Last but not least, it sounds like Judd’s getting a little more generous, and the bonus points given to the victory in Regular Battle will increase from now on. Thanks Judd! Also, a rumor says that he may even give you a small reward if you keep battling… Check it out to see what might happen!

Yay, I took part in my first (And sadly, last.) Splatfest. Blimey it was spiffingly good fun and I happened to be on the winning side. It seemed really close too.

...I want more. More dammit! More!! *weeps*

• 2 months later...

tumblr_ofcnd402Y11upp4n0o1_1280.png

tumblr_ofcnd402Y11upp4n0o2_1280.png

So, no idea if this is a enhanced port or Splatwo but let's keep it here just to be safe.

You gotta have nice hair if you want respect.

Really looks like Spla2n to me. Hard to say, though.

In any case, I LOVE the customizable "hair" styles. That's amazing. This I feel should've been in the original and found it annoying when I realized there were only two hairstyles, one for males and one for females.

4 hours ago, Sunlit Bastet said:

tumblr_ofcnd402Y11upp4n0o1_1280.png

tumblr_ofcnd402Y11upp4n0o2_1280.png

So, no idea if this is a enhanced port or Splatwo but let's keep it here just to be safe.

You gotta have nice hair if you want respect.

Looks like pants can be customized now.

• 2 months later...

Splatoon 2 has been confirmed for Nintendo Switch :)

tumblr_ojpb59ovc91u3akyno1_1280.jpg

C2BidB6W8AEE9eU.jpg:large

EUREKA! We have discovered the existence of Splatoon 2, a brand-new Splatoon game for Nintendo Switch! This may very well be the most important discovery in the history of squid science! Incidentally, Splatoon 2 was also announced at the ongoing Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 in Japan, BUT WE DISCOVERED IT FIRST! Anyway, we’ll once again be firing up the ol’ research machine here at the Squid Research Lab, so watch this space for in-depth reporting of our Splatoon 2 research findings! 

C2Biij_XUAA0BpF.jpg

#Splatoon2 is compatible with Joy-Con controllers & the #NintendoSwitch Pro Controller. Whichever you use, you can aim with motion controls.