Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

The Inkling is confirmed to be bundle-only and Squid Boy and Girl are confirmed to be sold separately, I thought?

Inkling Squid is only with the special edition yeah, but through Nintendo UK (as of present) you can only purchase the other two figures in bundles with a t-shirt and a copy of the game... so it's no different, really.

Only the Inkling Boy and Girl will be available separately on other sites though, if you're fast enough on the ol' clicker to get your hands on one.

The Inkling is confirmed to be bundle-only and Squid Boy and Girl are confirmed to be sold separately, I thought?

Yeah. I think the Squid is also available in a complete 3-pack, but I'm not sure if that'll be available in Europe or if it's just for the Americas. Either way, you should be fine to get the Boy and Girl from elsewhere. In fact from the looks of it ShopTo aren't sold out yet. Buy the Special Edition from Nintendo (or elsewhere if you don't want the shirt), and get the other Amiibo on ShopTo. It'll cost you about £8 more, which is nothing compared to the price you'll pay later on.

The 3-pack is for regions outside of Europe yeah, it's just the alternative method of getting your hands on the Inkling Squid amiibo. Instead of getting it with the game, you have to buy all three of the figures at once.

Anyway, just tried to pre-order the Inkling Boy on ShopTo again and... this time it worked? Initially it kept telling me the item was out of stock but now it's just suddenly popped up in my pre-order list. Weird. Not yet had a confirmation e-mail so I won't believe my luck just yet, but fingers crossed...!

Unless I completely missed it earlier, Nintendo's UK store has just updated every single Splatoon package to say "one per customer". In fact, I'm pretty sure they only just did this because I accidentally added two of the same bundle to my basket earlier. If that means that they've had people ordering multiples, with any luck they'll be cancelling orders and you'll be able to latch on then. Keep your eyes peeled.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't even think I want the special edition at that price honestly, I can get the game for £25 and got amiibo preorders elsewhere already,all I'm really benefiting from is the shirt really, which doesn't justify another £15 tbh.

Look what's on the cover of edge!

CCACVhGWIAA8Vt-.png

Looks like Nintendo is kicking the public eye marketing into high, wouldn't be surprised to see ads on Disney next month

• Thumbs Up 1

So we got a summary of the Interview from Edge from GAF http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159391066&postcount=2379

Summary of Edge article on Splatoon
- Main article has quotes from Amano/Sakaguchi and Nogami and talks about Edge playing the same demo build of the game the media played a few weeks back.
- The prototype had basic block characters and the ink painting mechanic. You were invisible when you were in your own ink. Amano/Sakaguchi added in jumping, hiding in ink, and the ability to shoot up and down. After that, though, they were confused about what they wanted to do with the game. They thought they might put a squid character on the box art but they needed a humanoid character to hold the guns. They thought a "squid human" wouldn't sell.
- Amano/Sakaguchi were scolded by Miyamoto in 2013 when doing the prototype who said "I don't understand. What do you want to do? There's no appeal to this game".
- They had an epiphany on Jan 6, 2014 that they could have you switch between a squid and human form and they rapidly got a bunch of ideas about how you swim faster in your own ink, you slow down in enemy ink and take damage, you can swim up walls, etc.
- Amano is a fan of "shooting games", but when he would invite friends to play with him they would get frustrated. He wants to make a game that is different that people who aren't fans of traditional shooters can play.
- Edge magazine says "Splatoon has no voice chat and never will". Amano says: "This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming". Amano says he's not saying that chat in an online game can't contribute to fun but they want to grab new players.
- Confirms that there are some Splat Zone maps with more than one boxed-off area to capture. If you claim all the territories your timer starts to count down, but if your opponent captures one the timer stops.
- The same primary weapon can come in a variation with the different sub/special weapon
- Can start firing after a super jump right before you land
- More online modes besides Turf War/Splat Zones
- One respawn point per team, but you're invulnerable while on it to discourage campers.
- A lot of the designers on the team are in their 30s, so the 90s style with street fashion and trainers is a big inspiration for the outfits
- Trick to balancing the weapons according to Sakaguchi is to make people want a little more ("if only it could shoot a little farther/shoot faster"). They aren't going out trying to make the strongest weapon in the game.
- 15 singleplayer challenges and "5 rare pieces of gear" for each of the 3 Amiibos
- Q&A with Katsuya Eguchi. Thinks Splatoon IP has huge potential. Important to have things that will draw attention to the game after release (basically hints at content updates/DLC).

GAME are offering the Special Edition and the boy and girl amiibo for £59.99, the closest you'll get to what Nintendo Store was offering.

Urgh, I guess I understand their reasons for removing mic chat, but that doesn't mean you can scrap it altogether from the game! Why couldn't they just keep it for friend matches? ><

I'm still getting the game regardless, but no mic chat option really bothers me.

GAME are offering the Special Edition and the boy and girl amiibo for £59.99, the closest you'll get to what Nintendo Store was offering.

Sans t-shirt of course, this is actually the cheapest offer. If I cared that much about saving two and half quid on a t-shirt that won't fit me (I'm fat), I'd cancel my Nintendo order and go to GAME instead.

Sans t-shirt of course, this is actually the cheapest offer. If I cared that much about saving two and half quid on a t-shirt that won't fit me (I'm fat), I'd cancel my Nintendo order and go to GAME instead.

Yeah definitely, if you're not fussed about the shirt then this is the best bundle out there to grab everything in one go. Tempted to plonk down a pre-order myself, I'm not too bothered about the t-shirt in the long run.

The shirt isn't even that great to be honest, if it had some of that sweet ass concept art on it or one of the Octogirl gunners then I'd be upset I had missed out, but it's just the game logo and some ink splats with the squid.

I've seen better shirts, and I've also seen worse. It's nice enough, but I can't imagine anyone would shed a tear if Nintendo suddenly cancelled it.

The real meat is the game itself. A new IP from Nintendo in a field they've never really explored, and it just looks bloody fantastic. 

You guys, remember the positive, such as all the game modes we DON'T know about

Also, some really awesome Splatoon renders from a Japanese club Nintendo e-mail http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159508930&postcount=2421

1920_1080_girl.png

1920_1080_boy.png

These look siiiiicccckkkk and once again Nintendo shows they are CG masters, as these were obviously made for promotion(they are a lot more poly-fied than their ingame counterparts)... anybody else think we may be getting promotional spots using these models for say Disney/other kids channels? Would be pretty sweet

• Thumbs Up 1

It literally is because of 13-year-olds chatting so much shit.

Also, those wallpapers are really fucking cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

Some people slurp soup and it's annoying. Therefore we should ban soup.

• Thumbs Up 5

While friend chat would've been nice, pub voice chat is fucking worthless. Generally, the vitriol is too much to be worth the hassle, and the game seems to be designed so you don't need coordination via chat anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

While friend chat would've been nice, pub voice chat is fucking worthless. Generally, the vitriol is too much to be worth the hassle, and the game seems to be designed so you don't need coordination via chat anyway.

Yup. As someone who games on PC, PS4, and Xbox One, I've never seen public voice chat be anything other than cancer. Friends/Private chat is what I want though.

Most of my time voice chatting on PS4 is with friends in a party. I just think that Nintendo need a party chat system.

The Splatoon devs just revealed a new gun.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/04/splatoon-quick-phosphorus-gun/

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/587549106232360960

The tweet that came with the video calls the weapon the Quick Phosphorus. It’s designed like a long-range gun, but it’s more of a shot-range gun designed to have a big impact, similar to something like a sawed-off shotgun. The tweet also mentions that the gun resembles laundry detergent, but it’s not laundry detergent that it shoots.

The weapon:

splatoon-quick-phosphorus.jpg?e5b67c

• Thumbs Up 1

While friend chat would've been nice, pub voice chat is fucking worthless. Generally, the vitriol is too much to be worth the hassle, and the game seems to be designed so you don't need coordination via chat anyway.

I got dozens upon dozens of hours out of Dragon Ball Raging Blast online back in the day purely because of voice chat. I remember staying up late at night playing tournaments and shooting the shit with other DBZ fans, it was a lot of fun.

But oh, some people are precious sensitive little snowflakes and their darling widdle feelings might get hurt by meanie strangers so now we all miss out on a feature that's been standard in games like these for over a decade now. C'mon.

• Thumbs Up 6