Awoo.

US Sonic games with JP VAs

Annie-Mae

Hay there, I just wanted to know which Sonic games there were in the US have switchable voice tracks? If I could get a good list of what game and on what system that would be good, then you can close the topic if it serves to be pointless after too long.

I'll give two right now that I know of.

Sonic Adventure 1 = Dreamcast

Sonic Adventure 2 = Dreamcast

I just find it weird that the Xbox versions of Heroes and Shadow DON'T have the option to switch but still give credit to the JP voice actors. Plus I only hear people use the English VAs on Sonic Unleashed for their LPS, so it's lead me to believe that you can't switch the voices if you wanted to (luckily I haven't been bothered by the VAs in this game.)

If we want to continue the topic, how do YOU feel about not being able to switch VAs in the games?

Let's see, SatSR and SatBK had this feature. I remember watching all the cutscenes in SatBK in japanese for fun...and I've seen some of the cutscenes from SatBK in jap.

GOOOOOOOOOOO JUN'ICHI! ;)

If Heroes could, I could not find it in the Xbox version

From what I recall, you have to switch the language to Japanese on the console itself, rather than the game, that should do the trick.

Edited by FeathersMcGraw

These are the ones I am sure of:

Sonic Adventure DX (NGC)

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (NGC)

Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii)

Sonic Unleashed (HD versions only)

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)

Not sure about Riders II: Zero Gravity though= =|||

Just Checked the Wii version of Zero Gravity. You can Change it to Japanese, don't know about the PS2 version, but I guess you should be able to do so.

You can switch to Japanese on Sonic The Hedgehog for 360, but not in-game. You must set the console language to Japanese, which means that you can't have Japanese voices and English subs.

I know for sure that the PC version of Sonic Riders lets you switch to Japanese also.

Oh wow FeathersMcGraw, I didn't think about that. I was going to ask about Sonic Riders 1 if it was possible to do that. Have to try it when I get home.

This is good guys thanks for checking. Just for record, the Hand Held games DO NOT have JP voices...unless Sonic Rivals does that cause I don't play the PSP.

Sonic Rivals was never released in Japan, so I'll be very surprised if there is Japanese VAs. I know there isn't any in-game option but I'll switch the language on the console and see.

EDIT: Checked. Not even the text changes language, let alone the voices.

Edited by JezMM

SA1-Dreamcast

SA2-Dreamcast

SA1:DX-Gamecube

SA2:B-Gamecube

Sonic 06-360/PS3(Change console language)

SATSR-Wii

Sonic Riders:Zero Gravity-Wii/PS2

Sonic Unleashed-360/PS3

S&TBK-Wii.

Thats all of them.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

Ok.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dreamcast:

SA1: Yes.

SA2: Yes.

Shuffle: ???.

Gamecube:

SADX: Yes.

SA2B: Yes.

Heroes: No.

Shadow: No.

Riders: No.

PS2:

Heroes: ???.

Shadow: ???.

Riders: ???.

Zero Gravity: ???.

Unleashed: No.

Xbox:

Heroes: Yes. (change console's language.)

Shadow: Yes. (change console's language.)

Riders: Yes. (change console's language.)

Wii:

Secret Rings: Yes.

Black Knight: Yes.

Unleashed: No.

Zero Gravity: Yes.

Xbox 360:

2006: Yes. (change console's language.)

Unleashed: Yes.

PS3:

2006: ???.

Unleashed: Yes.

DS:

Rush: No.

Adventure: No.

Chronicles: ???.

PSP:

Rivals: No.

Rivals 2: No.

PC:

SADX: Yes.

Heroes: No.

Riders: ???.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone will fill in the ???.'s that would be nice.

Edited by goku262002

^ Already answered a few of those.

Both Rivals games: No

PS2 and Wii Unleashed: No

Wii Zero Gravity: Yes (dunno about PS2)

And you also forgot PC versions of the games.

Adventure DX: ? (assuming yes since it's on the console versions)

Heroes: ?

Riders: Yes

^ Already answered a few of those.

Both Rivals games: No

PS2 and Wii Unleashed: No

Wii Zero Gravity: Yes (dunno about PS2)

And you also forgot PC versions of the games.

Adventure DX: ? (assuming yes since it's on the console versions)

Heroes: ?

Riders: Yes

Edited. thanks!

Really WiiS2 versions of unleashed dont have japanese VAs? you think they learned by now. I dont think the PC versions had japanese voices cause i remember fan made patches for japanese voices.

Edited by goku262002

I know Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 have that option in both the Dreamcast versions and the Gamecube ports (as well as the PC port of Sonic Adventure DX). As far as Sonic Heroes goes, Green Gibbon has already answered that question (from theghz.com):

The PS2 and Xbox versions feature both Japanese and English dialogue tracks, but only the PS2 version actually includes an in-game option to toggle between them. The Xbox version defaults to the language setting of the console itself. The GameCube version includes only a single language track owing to Nintendo's proprietary mini-disc format, which offers less space than the standard DVD utilized by the other two consoles.

I am also quite sure that the voice language for the PC port of Sonic Heroes is also region-specific. I have the Gamecube versions of Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders, and their stories are (unsurprisingly) the same as Sonic Heroes on that console. As for the ports to the other sixth-generation consoles, a quick glance at the manuals should show if an option to change the voice language exists.

I do not know of a modern Sonic game that does not at least allow Japanese subtitles.

Edited by BaronSFel001

I know for a fact that if you change the DSlite's language to Japanese, the text in Sonic Rush Adventure changes...

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX (Gamecube and PC) had the option.

Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle had this option.

Sonic Heroes for the PC has this option.

Shadow the Hedgehog for the PS2 had this option (little know fact, each system version of ShTH had different options, like only the gamecube version had the clear screen easter egg, only the PS2 version had Japanese VA's, it's been a while but I knew all the differences in the past).

Sonic Riders for the PC has this option.

Sonic & the Secret Rings has this option.

Sonic Riders Zero Gravity had this option.

Sonic Unleashed for the PS3 and 360 had this option.

I think they add it if they have enough left-over disc space.

Edited by Dusk Golem

If I can remember rightly Shuffle has JP voices and cutscenes as well. Though something I've always wanted to ask; if you can't speak Japanese why would you play the game in Japanese? And you can't use the argument that the English VAs suck because unless you spoke Japanese yourself you'd have no idea if the JP voices were just a bad. Not having a go at anyone, just curious s'all.

If I can remember rightly Shuffle has JP voices and cutscenes as well. Though something I've always wanted to ask; if you can't speak Japanese why would you play the game in Japanese? And you can't use the argument that the English VAs suck because unless you spoke Japanese yourself you'd have no idea if the JP voices were just a bad. Not having a go at anyone, just curious s'all.

^That's what I wondered, I mean sometimes you just prefer the original voices for some reason. It's like anime, I usually always watched it subbed but I don't actually know if the VAs are any good because I don't speak Japanese.

As for ShtH I have the PS2 version and I haven't been able to change the VAs to Japanese. I've tried a couple of times but can never find the option so I don't think you can change the voices, at least not on the PAL version.

Edited by CreamyBagel

Well, for me, I'm trying to learn japanese... and hearing and seeing japanese helps A LOT. and english subs as well.

Edited by Dashing Blue

Since a couple of people were questioning why the games that don't have JP voices don't have them, I can make a logical list.

Sonic Heroes: For every single moment in the game, there is a speech file for twelve different characters. Any one of the team-mates can comment on the surroundings at random, so there's a LOT of speech. That's probably why they had no room.

Shadow The Hedgehog: Similar reason I imagine. Every stage has 2-3 possible dialogue scripts depending on what side you're on.

Sonic Riders: Yeah, this one I have no idea about, but at least the PC version has it.

Rivals Series: Never released in Japan.

Sonic Unleashed PS2/Wii: The cut-scenes are all recorded video files, which take up a lot of space. Doubling that up for another voice track would probably be too much.

Tell you something that's always interests me though. Most games tend to dub into all the avaliable languages, but Sonic Team have always been kinda lazy, only offering English or Japanese (if even that) to all regions.

Klonoa for example I was shocked to realise had seven voice tracks, Phantomile, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Netherlands (and of course, Japanese too in it's own country).

I agree entirely with Jake.

But to add to it. It might also be BECAUSE they can't tell whether the voice acting is bad or not.

Confirmed. PC version of SADX plays JP VAs with english subs. PC version of Heroes does not just changes sub options.

Not sure about PC version of riders. cant get it working atm.

Edited by goku262002