Awoo.

US Sonic games with JP VAs

Annie-Mae

The PS2 Version of Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity does indeed have the option to switch between english and japanese voices. (I beleive this is also true for the PS2 version of the first Sonic Riders but I'm not completly sure on that)

^ I've already confirmed it twice, lol. Am I that unbelievable? D=

If i may quote you:

And you also forgot PC versions of the games.

Adventure DX: ? (assuming yes since it's on the console versions)

Heroes: ?

Riders: Yes

How can you be sure of riders? i remember having to get a fan patch for that too but im not sure atm.

If i may quote you:

How can you be sure of riders? i remember having to get a fan patch for that too but im not sure atm.

Yes, the Sonic Riders PC DOES have a Japanese track. You have to click on the options button that's under the play button on the screen that pops up when you put in the CD. On that options screen there should be an option to turn on Japanese voices.

Yeah, I found this out with the demo, and it proved consistant with the naughty full version I torrented. (I already own the GameCube version and it crashed whenever it tried to load the Insert Movie during the story so I didn't get to play that much anyway, lol).

• 2 months later...

I never liked riders as a game but I really use to wish it had the Japanese voices just so I could hear Jet. Wow that voice actor sounded attractive! I had the PS2 version by the way.

I used to really like the Japanese seiyuu, but now not so much anymore. I think it's because ever since the Japanese audio track was omitted from most Sonic games, I'm not used to hearing their voices in a different language. .w. The only seiyuu I like though is Silver. He is AMAZING compared to the English voice, and it fits him really well. Blaze sounds much better in Japanese too.

Oh, and Shahra sounds so cute in Japanese! She sounded like a whiny 30 year old lady in the English version. D=

• Bad Quality Post 1

English Shahra? Whiny? She had practically the same voice as Blaze.

I don't find the Japanese voices annoying myself Phos, though I do wonder whether they're as talented (I'll stay neutral here) as the english voice actors, and most fans just idealise them because really, they're hearing what they want to hear, and will never fully appreciate the subtleties of the language unless they're fluent in it.

I have a Japanese friend IRL... sometime I should play Sonic in Japanese and ask her "How's the acting, really? Are you feeling it? Does Sonic really sound frightened about Tails' impending plane crash?"

Am I the only one who finds the Japanese cast to be really annoying as well?

JP VA are ok but most english are better.

And chip...god chip.

I can't believe some people thought chip had a better va in japanese, he sounds like a cat on helium getting strangled, at least the english version didn't make your ears bleed.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Agreed, I can't stand the weeabo attitude that puts the JP VA's on a pedestal just because they can't understand the language.

I'm with JezMM.

Personally, the more I play with the Japanese track on now a days, it just feels so...campy. Felt like I was watching old tapes of Doraemon that was given to me by my teacher. Especially Chikao Otsuka's Eggman. I just...wasn't feeling it. I mean, the acting is alright, but it just didn't feel like the character at all.

Agreed, I can't stand the weeabo attitude that puts the JP VA's on a pedestal just because they can't understand the language.

So, I decided to watch some of SU's cut scenes and the Japanese version of "Night of the Werehog" (Off the Japanese PSN), and it sounds to me like the Japanese cast is a bit more natural in the cut scenes, though it's not like they have to work very hard to outdo 4Kids's effort. It also sounds like Sonic's Japanese VA learned some restraint since Sonic X.

The sound Japanese Sonic makes when you boost is pretty annoying, though it's not like the English one is much better.

Edited by Phos