Awoo.

Sonic Boom GameSpot Live Stream

Badnik Mechanic

I take it you didn't read the title of the video then? "Racing Stage"

So your source is a non-SEGA youtube account's video naming decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

So you're citing a title made by a random youtuber as fact? That's quite....unorthodox and assumptive to say the least.

I'll try an find a link Deamcast and edit

Here's the link of what I found so far.

Sorry, my stupid self got E3 and Gamespot confused.

Edited original post.

Sorry, my stupid self got E3 and Gamespot confused.

Edited original post.

Lol whoops, well more gameplay at least right? : D

It's cool, it'll probably be up somewhere in a few hours, I expect someone to record this thing.

I came in a little late.

I like what I saw here a lot more than the footage we saw a few days back. Sonic's got a decent gait to him now, and the combat looks a little more diverse with the inclusion of charged attacks (look at Knux w/ dat 1HKO).

Hmm. Interesting. ^^

One that actually looks like it's trying to be competent?

Looks competent to me.

But then again I tend to like thing that are apparently terrible so what do I know I guess.

The good thing about this being on Wii U is that when teh camera guy looks down to the controller for no reason we still have something to look at.

I like the cutscene animation.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just because it's titled as a "Racing Stage" doesn't mean you're racing against the other characters. It could simply be called a racing stage just because it's more speed-based and is on a racetrack that has more obstacles and platforming sections than the adventure levels.

But then again I tend to like thing that are apparently terrible so what do I know I guess.

Your words. Not mine.

I love the body animations in that cutscene after the mini boss.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was a painful 20 minutes of PR bullshit and trying as hard as possible to not offend the interviewer who clearly hadn't played a Sonic game in a decade.

"So are you doing stuff like classic Sonic"

"Now this is quite different from classic Sonic"

The fact that he asked the same question multiple times in different ways makes it clear the interviewer was barely interested in the game too.  Also Frost talked way too much about the background to this level and not enough about the actual gameplay really.  Somewhat concerning.

"Ah now the 3DS version looks just like classic Sonic"  *footage totally unlike classic Sonic*

"Yes well..." *tries to weasel his way out of the agreement that it looks like classic sonic without actually saying "no you're wrong it completely isn't"*

That's just typical GameSpot...only seem to care about Classic Sonic, brings up that Sonic hasn't been good in years (but I guess that interviewer avoided Generations cause he can get his C.Sonic fixed from that cause he sure as hell won't get that from Boom since it's completely different) doesn't seem to be that interested in the game that they're live-streaming, etc.

Eh...well, combat looks slightly faster, I guess?

But that still doesn't say much as combat still looks rather uninspired and hasn't really changing my mind of it from previous footage/showings. Yet another thing that worries me is the Enerbeam gimmick which looks like your basic grapple and throw and used to solve puzzles, though seeing it used twice in boss battles from this vid and early gameplay footage, I'm hoping that not ALL boss battles requires lassoing and throwing robots at the big boss and be able to go direct combat or else it'll get repetitive way too fast and predictable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What we saw is the main gameplay, it's a brawler.

Well, what else did you expect this to be? We already knew about this since thie FIRST trailer came out. To be honest, I don't mind it. Since this is a spin off series, it makes sense for them to try a different approach with Sonic in the gameplay department, but also having the traditional Sonic elements in the game itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Starting to wonder if Amy's VA got replaced like Tails..it's really different..

Nope. Just was given a different approach. Yet, Tails' VA is Charmy's VA, and you can't even really hear a difference.

Funny how voicing works.

And now the step from the actual Sonic cycle, badmouthing games journalists and or apologizing for terrible showings.  Do you want him to talk about Sonic's history or spend 20 minutes talking around how the game doesn't look very good?  

Oh and I'm watching the demo now, Danny doesn't actually do any of that.  He brings up old Sonic games to ask if they've done this to distance themselves from previous games.  

Haha that guardian chase, aka, do nothing.  

Oh wow, straight up straight up little twirl double jump on Amy.  So that's about the level we're working with here, then.  Once again, if you do that straight jump then jump again jump, it pretty much means you didn't think about the most important mechanic and by extension, not really thought about anything.  Why is that?  That super simple style of double jump isn't functionally different from just making one jump and having that one jump be higher. That's why it's a Classic red flag of super directionless game design.  

Oh it's a triple jump?  Most boring platforming protagonists have jumped on the ground, jumped in the air, where can you go from there?  Nowhere, that's why this jump goes up to three.  

Oh yeah, this is another thing I noticed, one I haven't noticed anyone talking about, that all the characters seem to have 100% super armor all the time.  Being hit doesn't phase them apart from coughing up rings.  Really odd decision, that.  

Edit: Interesting, mentions not killing the player via falling, but I have no idea what the process he describes entails so I can't really say anything about that yet.  

You know when stephen was doing the interview and he said sonic hadnt been good in a while.

I was hoping stephen was argue but you know what im not even mad anymore.

Because even if he had said colors and generations did good he it wouldnt matter because every aspect of the games that come into this one have been severly downgraded.

I pray that brb gets dumped if there a sequel and sanzaru is called to do the console game.

And now the step from the actual Sonic cycle, badmouthing games journalists and or apologizing for terrible showings.  Do you want him to talk about Sonic's history or spend 20 minutes talking around how the game doesn't look very good?  

Oh and I'm watching the demo now, Danny doesn't actually do any of that.  He brings up old Sonic games to ask if they've done this to distance themselves from previous games.  

Haha that guardian chase, aka, do nothing.  

Oh wow, straight up straight up little twirl double jump on Amy.  So that's about the level we're working with here, then.  Once again, if you do that straight jump then jump again jump, it pretty much means you didn't think about the most important mechanic and by extension, not really thought about anything.  Why is that?  That super simple style of double jump isn't functionally different from just making one jump and having that one jump be higher. That's why it's a Classic red flag of super directionless game design.  

Oh it's a triple jump?  Most boring platforming protagonists have jumped on the ground, jumped in the air, where can you go from there?  Nowhere, that's why this jump goes up to three.  

Oh yeah, this is another thing I noticed, one I haven't noticed anyone talking about, that all the characters seem to have 100% super armor all the time.  Being hit doesn't phase them apart from coughing up rings.  Really odd decision, that.  

I noticed for one it doesn't do it in platform precise places like the beam platforming, are you trying to be rude? I also noticed that a couple of times they do indeed get knocked back and start blinking, wait why are we questioning this? I also noticed that this doesn't look to be one of the most difficult levels so of course they're not gonna throw super hard platform challenges at you, do they want the E3 player to enjoy or be frustrated they can't past the stage while other people wanna play? The gaurdian section? Yeah kinda straight forward but notice how short it is? or how it's mostly just spectacle? Like the big GUN truck scene in Generations? Ya know boost and quickstep plenty of rings, the only way you fail is by literally stopping (which, oh yeah, you can't) Sorry to be a jerk but that's really how you sounded.

So yeah I just countered most of your complaints? Are you truly mad at the game or do you just not like it's direction, I can't tell.

EDIT: That was unnecessary, I'm sorry but that post was so one sided and full of JUST negatives that you feel that are bad. Like I know some people share your opinion but remember these are your opinions, you can't say a triple jump isn't useful if you haven't seen it in action. 

you can't say a triple jump isn't useful if you haven't seen it in action. 

This is starting to get ridiculous. It's a staple of gaming. It's not something new, it's something that's existed for years. I don't need to see more of the new Zelda to, if for some reason I hate sword games, say "man sword games suck".

I don't even agree with him on the triple jump thing, but come on. It's a triple jump. What's the difference it's going to make in action? Not to mention, if he's mentioning it's likely because he already saw it in action in the videos.

Was the stream ever uploaded to YouTube or archived somewhere? I had to miss out.

This is starting to get ridiculous. It's a staple of gaming. It's not something new, it's something that's existed for years. I don't need to see more of the new Zelda to, if for some reason I hate sword games, say "man sword games suck".

I don't even agree with him on the triple jump thing, but come on. It's a triple jump. What's the difference it's going to make in action? Not to mention, if he's mentioning it's likely because he already saw it in action in the videos.

Well what if it's used creatively, we don't know. I understand everything can't be defended by this point but don't you at least see the point I was making in my entire post. That little bit was just piece of the whole thing, I just wanna know, do you understand? I can understand why people could be mad but it doesn't seem the same vice-versa with some posts I've seen.

We're not psychopaths. We can understand at least the concept "this guy likes the game even if there's literally nothing in it I can see worth liking" in an abstract way at the very least. You don't need to go off "but you can't criticize yet" to try and prove it. He saw something. He didn't like it. He posted he didn't like it.

We're not psychopaths. We can understand at least the concept "this guy likes the game even if there's literally nothing in it I can see worth liking" in an abstract way at the very least. You don't need to go off "but you can't criticize yet" to try and prove it. He saw something. He didn't like it. He posted he didn't like it.

Yeah that really seems... understanding but still he posted as if it were a complete utter abomination. That post came off to me as less a concern for the actual game but just a straight bash at it and it felt like it could be handled- better. I might just lay low for awhile.