Awoo.

FF-Type Zero HD (PS4 & Xbox One & PC) "Vita was sent to the farplane..."

Badnik Mechanic

So, we got:

-No reworking of the engine to run at 60 FPS

-Awful textures in many areas and even enemy models

-An awful camera system along with too much motion blur

All for $60? Yeah, no. I still honestly feel like this started as a Vita remaster and should've just stayed there. It certainly would've boosted Vita sales in the west. The motion blur, by the way, really hurts my eyes and brain, so honestly, if the camera was better, I would've at least waited for a price drop, but I just can't play it the way it is.

So, we got:

All for $60? Yeah, no. I still honestly feel like this started as a Vita remaster and should've just stayed there. It certainly would've boosted Vita sales in the west. The motion blur, by the way, really hurts my eyes and brain, so honestly, if the camera was better, I would've at least waited for a price drop, but I just can't play it the way it is.

Not a chance in hell.

Edit: and yea I have the game, motion blur is ass.

Type-0 is a good game, it's a shame we never got the original or a Vita version, but I'm more than happy to support its release. Better to support games like this than endless remasters and ports of games the west already has.

I didn't pay full price for it anyway (bought it about £15 cheaper than RRP) because buying games full price is amateurish :V Also no matter what, this is still a 7th gen handheld game being released as an 8th gen console game, your mileage may vary but if you've always wanted Type-0 to be localised you're not gonna be disappointed if you can find it for a decent price.

It's honestly a shame that this is only selling because of the FFXV demo, it doesn't send a good message to Square at all because what I want them to hear is "more original FF side projects is not a bad thing" and "see I told you you should have localised this earlier".

The age of always worrying that Square games won't be localised isn't over unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, we got:

I get that its not the most spectacular thing ever but honestly, we got a game that we didn't have before and I think thats good enough for me since it looks like a pretty fun game even without fancy graphics and 60fps (though admittedly I would've loved 60 but a smooth 30 is always good in my book) so yeah while this definitely isn't the best they could've done with the console at all, it plays competently and it looks alright all things considered.

(also, yeah, as much as this would've been a good game to push people into buying a vita, I really doubt that it would've done much for it in the long run).

• Thumbs Up 2

Even at 30fps the game still feels REALLY smooth. I just finished it today and I have to say it's a damn good game. The game could've definitely looked better but I don't really care since the gameplay is so damn good. Getting this game at all in the west in the first place is a miracle in of itself.

At least Type-1 is pretty much happening and I'm sure it will have fancy graphics.

A smooth 30fps doesn't include framerate drops. The FPS constantly dips to 29 and 28. While it's not "horrible", the constant changing of FPS can be jarring.

30 fps isn't smooth to me anyways. :( #pcmasterrace

edit: jk the framerate doesn't drop too much

I find the only issue to be that ridiculous motion blur when panning the camera. It doesn't bother me, but it has to be torture for anyone who is sensitive to that type of crap. Also, the translation is pretty much just straight, this isn't really a localization. Really makes it obvious that Square-Enix REALLY didn't want to bring the game to Western audiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Type-0 HD has shipped 1 million copies worldwide.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/10/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-ships-1-million-worldwide/

CCNYuhBUMAAldXJ.png

Lets be honest, the demo played a big part in this. Considering that the game didn't do so hot in Japan I guess a LOT of people from the west bought it...which is what I expected really. Japan had the game 4 years ago AND it was on a home console (they'd rather buy the PSP version), but the west never got the game in the first place.

I'm gonna throw my hands up. I bought Type-0 for the demo. However I still will play Type-0, once I finish playing The Wolf Among Us (Vita).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I'll still probably get the PS4 version, mostly due to my PC not being optimized for more recent games.